Marquette - UConn Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Marquette - UConn Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • In my 30 years as a passionate fan of UConn WBB, I have never been prouder of any Husky team than I was today.
  • Against a talented and experienced Marquette team, UConn suited up just 7 healthy players, 4 of whom were basically freshmen, with a 5th a seldom used sophomore. Add in that UConn had almost no size and there should have been no reasonable expectation that the Huskies could prevail……unless you measure the size of their hearts.
  • UConn has played strong defense all season. But to win the game today, the Huskies had to take their defensive effort to a whole new level, which they did holding Marquette to only 29 pts on 22% shooting.
  • With Paige getting doubled all over the court, other players had to pick up the scoring, and the Huskies got just enough from Paige’s supporting cast to get the win.
  • Yesterday Geno was asked about relying so much on the freshmen. He was philosophical, suggesting, “When you know you’re not going to get pulled after a mistake, because there’s nobody else to put in, you tend to just go out and play.”
  • Ice had the weight of the world on her shoulders today. I was concerned she would be gassed playing so many minutes in place of Aaliyah. During her 40 minutes of PT :eek:, Ice never once slacked off, giving everything she had in her best effort of the year.
  • Yes, we have Paige and they don’t!!! Paige has now played pretty much every position on the floor, including jumping center for the 1st time in her college career, even winning the opening tip. When she hit that highlight reel shot at the end of the 3rd qtr, it was basically GAME OVER!!! It sounds impossible, but Paige played two games today: her game and Aaliyah's game. Paige's unbelievable stat line today: 27 points (11/16), 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 4 blocks, 0 turnovers, 0 fouls. :):cool::rolleyes::D:eek:
  • I suspect that we won’t see Aaliyah on the court again tomorrow, and I’m sure the UConn players are exhausted after an incredible effort today. But I would never bet against this team! :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So... IMHO this is one of the most impressive wins of the season. I know Paige was other-worldly, but I thought Ice was just tremendous playing as many minutes as she did, and doing it very well. Really impressive. And our defense - holy carp! Marquette scored under 10 points in 3 of the quarters.

AND... they held Marquette to 0 in Q4. Not sure I've ever seen that before.
  • Paige was NPOY Paige. 27 points and 12 boards, not to mention 4 blocks. What a post player LOL...
  • Ice - Geno said in the post-game interview that they have been frustrated with Ice knowing how good she can be, but she has "grown up a lot the last 2 games". Very proud of her.
  • Ash and Nika did Ash and Nika things. Some really good defense. Lots of help side rotations
  • Felt bad for KK. 3 fouls early on, then in the 2nd half, made a mistake on a shot clock violation, and was yanked. Was in tears on the bench. Hoped that when she went back in to replace Nika, she'd really do some good things for her confidence, but not so much.
Bottom line a great game in every way.

Reaction Score
I’d like to give UConn all the credit for throttling Marquette’s offense. But I think the golden eagles also came out a bit flat all by themselves. And they looked tired for much of the game.

Paige was magnificent and Ice was really good and KK and Ash and Nika did what they needed to. And Q had 5 points!

Reaction Score
Against a talented and experienced Marquette team, UConn suited up just 7 healthy players, 4 of whom were basically freshmen, with a 5th a seldom used sophomore. Add in that UConn had almost no size and there should have been no reasonable expectation that the Huskies could prevail……unless you measure the size of their hearts.
That covers it!

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
An absolutely amazing game, holding them scoreless for 14+ minutes! Paige, what can you say about her performance? There are no words to discribe her effort today.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
MU game flow.jpg

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What a Performance by UConn and Paige. A couple of things. Ice score double digits. We held Marquette scoreless in the 4th qtr. The defense was absolutely amazin. Paige is All World and her shooting percentage just wow. Hey we won by 29. Hearts of Champions.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
If ive said it once ive said it a thousand times......Defense wins games and offense determines the MOV. Great defensive game, held the game under control until the offensive light(Paige) clicked on. I think tht Ice is getting better game to game with the increased minutes, the team is really gonna need her with the injury to AE.

Reaction Score
So... IMHO this is one of the most impressive wins of the season. I know Paige was other-worldly, but I thought Ice was just tremendous playing as many minutes as she did, and doing it very well. Really impressive. And our defense - holy carp! Marquette scored under 10 points in 3 of the quarters.
You said it. Paige was out of this world with a double=double, 12 rebounds and an assortment of other stats. ICE played like she did in the game she scored 17 points, she held her own and then some. Ashlynn was also productive and was a pest on defense,. Uconn is the program that with all it's woes, doesn't know of the meaing of the word QUIT. Uconn will win the BE and Aaliyah should be able to mask up for the NC tournament ..GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Today, there was Paige Bueckers on the court and then there was everybody else. Paige has had some incredible performances in a UConn uniform, particularly the NC St Elite 8 game, but given today's circumstances, this will be one of legends. Playing with 3 freshmen, she dominated the game in all aspects. Of course, adding her customary flare, she inflicted the final dagger with the buzzer beater three at the end of the 3rd quarter.

UConn absolutely needs to have a healthy Aaliyah to make noise in the tourney, but the way Paige is elevating her game, they will serve notice.

Ashlynn looked for her shot more and while Ice didn't put up spectacular numbers, her biggest contribution was staying out of foul trouble and playing with confidence. It will only serve her well moving forward.

Reaction Score
I'm going out on a limb here but I think Coach Geno might be in the midst of his finest coaching stretch. I can't ever remember a season with this much adversity to overcome. Kudos to the coaches and team for their superlative performances under fire. Husky Nation salutes your effort and determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom