Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She’ll get some minutes next year. Nika will be graduating the following year and Geno would love to have two seasoned point guards on the roster after she’s gone. Ashlynn is a shooting guard
While Azzi is one of the top ball handlers on the team and similar to today's lineup, will likely continue to put in some point guard minutes next year, Ines has improved in most aspects of her game. Should be some battles in practice, making the team stronger.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You think the last few minutes of a blowout game playing with the second string is the magic elixir Azzi needs to find her rhythm and confidence? Sorry, I think you're wrong. Azzi's minutes are limited, those last few minutes would have been good to be part of that limit.

What if, God forbid, she got hurt like Paige did? Would you say it was unavoidable because she needed those last few minutes to get her rhythm and confidence back? If that happened, I think there would have been a nuclear explosion here on the BY about the stupidity of playing her in those las few minutes.
What if she falls in the shower?
What if she trips on the stairs in her dorm?
What if she loses her balance while walking to class?

Reaction Score
You think the last few minutes of a blowout game playing with the second string is the magic elixir Azzi needs to find her rhythm and confidence? Sorry, I think you're wrong. Azzi's minutes are limited, those last few minutes would have been good to be part of that limit.

What if, God forbid, she got hurt like Paige did? Would you say it was unavoidable because she needed those last few minutes to get her rhythm and confidence back? If that happened, I think there would have been a nuclear explosion here on the BY about the stupidity of playing her in those las few minutes.
Were you going to play 4 on 5? What starter would you have sacrificed if 5 on 5

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Defense - check
Assists - 21 check
Rebounding 45 to 32 check
Turnovers - 13 check
2 pt Shooting - 49% check
Scoring - over 80 check, 5 players in double digits check
Players - Edwards, Juhasz and Muhl with double/doubles check
Having fun - check

Now just pull that 3 pt shooting up a bit (25%), want to be 35-40%.
Then, then, we's got a helluva team. :D

Reaction Score
I see you Aubrey Griffin!
Aubrey, under rated, under appreciated by those that pass out reward. Not by Geno and Uconn FANS. I hate to use the word UTILITY because she is so much more.
This young, terrific lady, has come leap years away from the Freshman arriving on campus. I give her my own personal Most Valuable Player ( to the Team) award.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The last two games have showed a level of joy between the players after scores or great defensive plays, something that was missing towards the end of the regular season. UConn is always a bit businesslike on the court, however it seemed that they were just trying to get through those games, opposed to enjoying the successes, and I get it. The BET games have shown the real personality of the team that has been missing for a while.

Amari giving Ines a huge slap after her 3 pt shot, and the bench really celebrating that shot. Dorka jumping up and down with Amari's pursuit of CD's miss and the putback at the 0:30 mark. It was almost as much fun watching the bench celebrate as the plays being celebrated.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Defense - check
Assists - 21 check
Rebounding 45 to 32 check
Turnovers - 13 check
2 pt Shooting - 49% check
Scoring - over 80 check, 5 players in double digits check
Players - Edwards, Juhasz and Muhl with double/doubles check
Having fun - check

Now just pull that 3 pt shooting up a bit (25%), want to be 35-40%.
Then, then, we's got a helluva team. :D
Total FG% was 49%, two point FG% was 60%

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The last two games have showed a level of joy between the players after scores or great defensive plays, something that was missing towards the end of the regular season. UConn is always a bit businesslike on the court, however it seemed that they were just trying to get through those games, opposed to enjoying the successes, and I get it. The BET games have shown the real personality of the team that has been missing for a while.

Amari giving Ines a huge slap after her 3 pt shot, and the bench really celebrating that shot. Dorka jumping up and down with Amari's pursuit of CD's miss and the putback at the 0:30 mark. It was almost as much fun watching the bench celebrate as the plays being celebrated.
Lots of smiles. It’s great to see

B841C065-463E-461F-BCAD-98A17B064E9A.jpeg

Reaction Score

If you’re responding to my reply to you, yes, the last few minutes of a blowout matters in Fudd’s situation, but there is no “magic elixir”. Players play and getting back in game shape has nothing to do with who you are playing with or the score because real players just play, posers play based on the conditions you describe. Fudd is certainly no poser. Getting your feel back can happen in a flash and Fudd‘s pull up jumper during the time you suggested she be watching could have been that flash. Only the player truly knows when that happens.

Reaction Score
I’d amend this to read: “Inês took a huge step towards being a regular rotation player.”

She was so confident, so aggressive on the court. I think we’re gonna be yelling her name out a lot next season!

Inês has looked like Nika on defense the last couple of games, she smothers her opponent.

Reaction Score
What if she falls in the shower?
What if she trips on the stairs in her dorm?
What if she loses her balance while walking to class?
Agree. Bill Belichick, when fielding questions from reporters regarding the issue of taking players out so they don't get hurt would respond by saying; "You tell me on which plays they'll get hurt and I'll be sure to take them out for that play."

Reaction Score
Ines looked like she belonged on the floor today than in any other appearance I can recall. She was where she was supposed to be seemingly at all times and did not have the deer in the headlights look about her that has detracted from her time. Would have more comfort with her going forward based on what we saw today.
I can tell that Nika has been coaching her up. Ines sticks like glue to her man and is getting way better at switching. Shes going to be a very very good point guard/ shooting guard in the years to come.

Reaction Score
Agree completely but the thing that impressed me most was how both Aaliyah and especially Dorka drove to the basket Instead of settling for a jump shot.
Lets add Griffin and the great drive by Nika to this list. When this happens, we are hard to defend instead of settling into a half-court offense. We have the key players and post ups to do this a lot.

Reaction Score
NM with a great game. Missed out on 6 assists due to missed layups/open shots. Needs to finish at the rim though. Interesting how aggressive she was getting to the rim - I wonder if that continues against better competition. Love how aggressive she guards bigger players and how hard she goes after rebounds.

I thought AG was terrific. Filled up the stat sheet and played outstanding defense. Hit a three to boot. She has been really aggressive getting to the rim and chasing down offensive rebounds. Reminds me of denise rodman in that regard.

AE and DJ had big games and this was expected in this game. They are bigger than Marquette. Impressive how tenacious and hungry they were getting rebounds, snatching them. They knew what was expected and handled their business.

Lou was Lou. She has a rhythm shooting the ball. I just can't get over how really good she is.

2 down and 1 to go.

Reaction Score
Please don't kick me off, please. The only thing I didn't like was Azzi in the game when it was a blow out. She should have been taken out with 4 or 5 minutes remaining. What was the score and when in the game did Paige get hurt last year?
Disagree! Azzi needs the work, and there is no time for practice sessions this week. The game was out of reach, and this was a perfect non-intense time for her to get a little workout.

Reaction Score

Sorry for how this sounds, but there are only 3 players on this team whom we could "afford" to lose to injury, and all three of them were in the game at garbage time. But the last time I checked, basketball still requires a team of 5. Geno chose to give Azzi some minutes to work with them at the end, when there was little intensity to the game, as opposed to leaving more of his tired starters out there. If Azzi is going to be a major contributor down the stretch, she can't be treated like a piece of fine crystal. The fact that she declared herself ready to come back this week means that she has the confidence to be on the court at any time, and the coaches and trainers are giving her free rein.

Reaction Score
I just loved the energy by the team. For the past few weeks, the team just looked flat. Now, these two games, the team looks like they got a hit of a nuclear weapon! They are all jacked up on energy! Aaliyah was just relentless yesterday. Can't wait for the game later.

Reaction Score
How 'bout that Aubrey Griffin!

And Nika had one of her patented steals. Haven't seen that in awhile.

The team was alert and locked in against a tough, physical Marquette team.
The Portuguese steal was pretty impressive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom