Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Villanova survived by 2 to win. Too bad Creighton couldn’t come through for us. I’d rather play them. They don’t have the nation’s leading scorer or the BE player of the year on their team. Since you don’t get to choose who you play, you play whoever is in front of you with the cards you’re dealt.
In the last Villanova game, Edwards guarded Siegrist on every single possession for 37 minutes other than transitions and after switches. She gave her all of 9 pts of her 21. With the way the rest of UConn's kids played D today, I doubt she would have gotten that. Somebody other than Siegrist will have to beat them tomorrow because I don't think Auriemma is going to let her.

Reaction Score
Please don't kick me off, please. The only thing I didn't like was Azzi in the game when it was a blow out. She should have been taken out with 4 or 5 minutes remaining. What was the score and when in the game did Paige get hurt last year?
While I was OK with Azzi getting some playing time, not a big fan of Dorka, whose ankle/foot was in a boot a week ago, playing with a 32 point lead and 5 minutes left. One of the best UConn performances in several weeks so was happy Dorka was able to get a big ovation with 2 minutes left.

Reaction Score
Amazing game. For me the best part was seeing the starters on the bench cheering the second squad on, that's been a long time coming. Nobody had to play 35-40 minutes just to keep UConn within range of the opponent. AE was dominant on the inside w/scoring & rebounds and Dorka was right there with her. That is what I like to see from UConn's "bigs". My girl Nika, what can I say about her? 10 assists, lockdown defense but what I really loved was seeing her drive to the net. Not all of her shots went in but that move has been missing from her arsenal so it was wonderful to see her doing that. I want her to keep doing that too along with taking shots from beyond the arc. So great to see Azzi out there and Caroline too. Lou was in her usual sharpshooter form, I hope she's feeling ok,

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
While I was OK with Azzi getting some playing time, not a big fan of Dorka, whose ankle/foot was in a boot a week ago, playing with a 32 point lead and 5 minutes left. One of the best UConn performances in several weeks so was happy Dorka was able to get a big ovation with 2 minutes left.
Dorka only played a total of 32 minutes, while Nika played 35, Aaliyah & Aubrey played 31 and Lou played only 24. Azzi played 21, Caroline 13, Ines 7, Ayanna 4, and Amari 2.

Reaction Score
I’d amend this to read: “Inês took a huge step towards being a regular rotation player.”

She was so confident, so aggressive on the court. I think we’re gonna be yelling her name out a lot next season!
She'll be faced with a tough challenge if Paige is back, and if KK and Ashlynn are half the players we all expect, but I agree Ines is far more than anyone would have expected when she showed up on campus just six months ago!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She'll be faced with a tough challenge if Paige is back, and if KK and Ashlynn are half the players we all expect, but I agree Ines is far more than anyone would have expected when she showed up on campus just six months ago!
She’ll get some minutes next year. Nika will be graduating the following year and Geno would love to have two seasoned point guards on the roster after she’s gone. Ashlynn is a shooting guard

Reaction Score
She’ll get some minutes next year. Nika will be graduating the following year and Geno would love to have two seasoned point guards on the roster after she’s gone. Ashlynn is a shooting guard
Understood about Ashlynn, Nan, but having Paige, Nika and probably KK ahead of her is a tough climb for minutes... plus Azzi and Ashlynn possibly at the 2.

No matter today, more important matters to talk about (and celebrate) today, right?

Reaction Score
Everything has changed for UConn with Caroline and Azzi on the floor. I keep repeating that because it is the difference. Do you realize that Caroline and Azzi havent scored a bunch of points yet. It may take a little time but when they do well if you think today was awesome just wait til the two of them get going
The key is your first sentence, but yes when they both get their best offensive stuff going it is going to be next level. With the full roster in play we are a team that can beat anyone in the country on any given night. All season our defense has remained solid at worst and stifling at best. When we have been able to spread the floor our offense is exceptional. There is no way an opponent can cover all our options and if we are hitting our shots it will be pick your poison - basically how do you want to get burned.

They can't both pack the paint and defend against our outside shots - we simply have two many effective weapons. The fact that Nika could find lanes to take it right to the basket on multiple occasions coupled with the big difference in our ability to get O boards and put backs exemplifies what a huge difference just having Azzi and Caroline AVAILABLE makes in allowing us to spread the floor on offense. EVERYBODY is more effective on the offensive end.

No one should be amazed at the energy, confidence and ferocity that our team has brought to the last couple games. This is their true identity, who they are. They aren't restrained any longer because the starting five need to be on the court, the offense isn't throttled back to save energy. They can just go out there and play UConn Basketball (and incidentally this squad at full strength is damn good at that). Nobody we meet is going to play better defense than us or have played against a harder defense, nobody will play with more energy than us, nobody is as battle tested as us and know how to overcome adversity like us. Nobody has a more diverse and talented array of skillsets than us and lastly nobody has more heart than us.

The team is back. They are warriors who have new life and have an insatiable drive to fight for their goals, the talent to do it and they have every intention to finish the Season the right way. They will welcome any and all challengers along the way because they intend to cut down the nets after the final game and they don't believe there is anyone who can stop them. We are the luckiest fans in the country to be invited to go along for the ride. I'm belted up and ready to go, it will be great traveling with you!

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Understood about Ashlynn, Nan, but having Paige, Nika and probably KK ahead of her is a tough climb for minutes... plus Azzi and Ashlynn possibly at the 2.

No matter today, more important matters to talk about (and celebrate) today, right?
I think Geno has sworn never to be short of guards again

Reaction Score
Villanova survived by 2 to win. Too bad Creighton couldn’t come through for us. I’d rather play them. They don’t have the nation’s leading scorer or the BE player of the year on their team. Since you don’t get to choose who you play, you play whoever is in front of you with the cards you’re dealt.
Yeah I was pulling for Creighton but they choked down the stretch. Villanova always relies on Maddie but today she was practically their entire offense. Not a bad night for Olsen but she’s had better. Considering UConn was able to keep them in check during the season when they were playing poorly, I’m not losing sleep over tomorrow’s game (I’ll leave that for Geno).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In the last Villanova game, Edwards guarded Siegrist on every single possession for 37 minutes other than transitions and after switches. She gave her all of 9 pts of her 21. With the way the rest of UConn's kids played D today, I doubt she would have gotten that. Somebody other than Siegrist will have to beat them tomorrow because I don't think Auriemma is going to let her.
Aubrey's defense today on King was outstanding. Siegrist is a tougher match-up for Aubrey because of her size and the high release point on her shot. That's where Aaliyah's size is so important when defending Siegrist. Aaliyah moves well and her size has allowed her to contest Siegrist's shots. Hope that's true tomorrow night.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Schadenfreude: I have to say it. It is heartening to see Notre Dame, once Coach Geno's bette noir, go down in the ACC tournament after losing key players. Coach Geno lost several key players, but he's playing for the league championship.

The Evil Empire, Tennessee, got blown out by a South Carolina team to whom Connecticut lost by a few points.

Stanford, a team that has on more than one occasion broken long Connecticut win streaks, and whose coach has displayed something less than graciousness on more than one occasion, went down before their conference finals.

Nice to see that Coach Geno and his Huskies are still standing, still fighting, still contesting for a championship, despite everything. His rivals, on the other hand, are going down. Schadenfreude.
I don't mind seeing some of these teams lose, but there is no joy in them losing because players were hurt. I hate it when any player can't compete.

Reaction Score
We have a sighting of the real UCONN Huskies! The defensive effort was fantastic. They swarmed Marquette in the paint and relentlessly pursued them on the perimeter. This forced King and crew into uncomfortable shots and the long rebounds allowed the transition game to get going. All of the starters had fantastic games, and you could see that they came to play from the opening tip. Aubrey was everywhere, and Aaliyah owned the paint - she had more points in the paint by herself than did the entire Marquette team. And when did Dorka learn to drive to the basket? With Azzi’s presence helping to stretch the floor and Lou’s shot looking smooth, this was the most complete game the Huskies have put together on both sides of the ball in weeks. My one complaint is all the missed layups - I screamed “how did you miss that?!” too many times. Fortunately, it did not matter this afternoon. This was the Huskies day. Hopefully they can replicate this performance seven more times.

Reaction Score
That was Ines's three. I noticed it during the game too; my wife and I cracked up.
Brought back a memory of the walk on kid name of Breanna Pulido who made a shot at the end of the Syracuse national championship game and the bench rose up like it was the game winner. A very special moment for her. On to Med school as I recall, should be in practice somewhere by now. Very special moment!!!

Reaction Score
Ines looked like she belonged on the floor today than in any other appearance I can recall. She was where she was supposed to be seemingly at all times and did not have the deer in the headlights look about her that has detracted from her time. Would have more comfort with her going forward based on what we saw today.
Based on what we saw today, she is destined to be a nuch needed force off the bench.

Reaction Score
I think Geno has sworn never to be short of guards again
Also , Ines has proven she can play, and deserves to play, at this level. Kk and Ashlyn have proven themselves at the high svhool level and are unknowns for elite D1. Ice Brady and Ayanna Patterson were highly touted prospect as well. Yet here we are celebrating Ines breaking out in the post season. Ines blocking a shot at her end of the court then racing the length of the court for a long pass then racing back the other way to steal the ball blew my mind. Too awesome. Wait til next year, yes. But I am a fan now.

Reaction Score
BEAST MODE
AACD85A1-4F8A-4015-B5B8-1367E7C5026F.jpeg

Attachments

• 90329D2C-052C-4DD1-A277-900EE1F526A9.jpeg
    90329D2C-052C-4DD1-A277-900EE1F526A9.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 43
Reaction Score
Stop. There is a championship game tomorrow. Azzi needs to play, find a rhythm and regain her confidence.
You think the last few minutes of a blowout game playing with the second string is the magic elixir Azzi needs to find her rhythm and confidence? Sorry, I think you're wrong. Azzi's minutes are limited, those last few minutes would have been good to be part of that limit.

What if, God forbid, she got hurt like Paige did? Would you say it was unavoidable because she needed those last few minutes to get her rhythm and confidence back? If that happened, I think there would have been a nuclear explosion here on the BY about the stupidity of playing her in those las few minutes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Brought back a memory of the walk on kid name of Breanna Pulido who made a shot at the end of the Syracuse national championship game and the bench rose up like it was the game winner. A very special moment for her. On to Med school as I recall, should be in practice somewhere by now. Very special moment!!!
Poly ultimately decided against med school, ending up in the business world.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, but beating the 11th ranked team in the nation again can only help UConn’s seeding in the Big Dance. With many of the top teams losing around the nation, a convincing win by UConn tonight will give the Selection Committee something to seriously consider when they do their seeding for the Tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom