Marquette/Kansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marquette/Kansas

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The Kansas team is exactly what you get when you pay for talent but the pieces are in it for themselves.

On paper it's a great squad. They didn't play as a unit last night. Guys didn't seem to care to play defense (especially Hunter Dickinson who just sort of stood around in the paint with his hands at his side all night). A lot of sloppy passing. They looked frustrated.

They will win a lot of regular season games, again. But when someone punches them in the mouth in the tournament, if this is how they respond, they will be in trouble.

Also, Marquette is really really good. Ighodaro looked great in the paint. Sean Jones was really impressive off the bench. So did Chase Ross.

Reaction Score
Marquette is really good tough matchup for anyone. Kansas turned it over 18 times because of Marquettes pressure defense we won’t be able to do that. But I did like the double offs they did on Hunter D making him get rid of that ball as well to people who weren’t making shots. We can do that. Hunter D on the 3 that began the bench clearing, clearly came down court when the shot went up and hammered Ighadaro in the back only to fall down himself when Iggy moved away. Shaka and Self no love lost I like that any time anyone beats the cheater it’s a great day!

But at Allen Field House whole different world will be a monster test.

Reaction Score
If Hurley ever left I’d want Shaka in a heartbeat. Not that any of this will happen or happen anytime soon. But Shaka is an incredible coach and hard not to root for.
I am a little scared he could leave someday, but I think it would be for an NBA head coaching position. I think like his father was meant for the HS game, Dan is meant for the college game so hope he stays. But I know he has said he is interested some day, and I am a little shocked no NBA team has, at the least, put out feelers.

Reaction Score
This should mean we get Kansas's full attention. They will tough to beat at home. Which, win or lose, should be helpful later in the season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kansas got outplayed all over the court. This will help them get better. Marquette contesting every pass is not a style you see often (even in the Big East). The last teams I recall playing that way regularly were the UConn Dream Team, Nolan Richardson Arkansas and some of Pitino's squads at Louisville. It's physically hard to do and high risk. KU lacks shooters and even then had a bad night, especially from the FT line. Timberlake not being at least Joey C level is hurting them. I also think playing a slow, easy Chaminade team the day before did not help.

Marquette looks phenomenal, but I'm curious to see what Painter does against that pressure. A few fake passes and backdoor cuts and you can force Marquette to back off a bit. Preparation and execution will be key. They will be tough for us, but we are a much worse matchup for them than KU is once we get Castle back.

Reaction Score
If Hurley ever left I’d want Shaka in a heartbeat. Not that any of this will happen or happen anytime soon. But Shaka is an incredible coach and hard not to root for.
Anthony Grant from Dayton is the guy I would want. Hope DH stays until his full retirement age

Reaction Score
I'm impressed with Marquette. KU not used to intense in your face Big East D. The Jayhawks seemed to have lost their composure and kept on taking quick shots and cheating too much on D.

Neither team shot the ball well in the latter part of second half, though KU sucked more so.

I think both teams will be near the top come March, but KU has work to do improving their execution, shooting, defending and decision making. Hum... I think they're better than what they showed tonight. Definitely not #1 worthy at this point in the season.
Kinda hoped KU had another big east game before ours to really get in their heads how we do it up here.

Reaction Score
Got this from a Kansas board.

Posted on 20 hrs, , User Since 8 months ago, User Post Count: 41

No. UConn Tampered with spencer and committed to UConn before he even hit the portal.
A little lack of awareness....lol. Kansas with Self has broken more recruiting rules than anyone. If DH "tampered" :rolleyes: good for him....you can be sure whatever DH did (or didn't do) pales in comparison to the stench level of Self.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What a game to watch. Kansas got out played and out coached in every facet of the game. Smart is an excellent coach. His players are disciplined and basketball smart.

Kansas is not as good a team as we have been led to believe. They can't handle a pressure defense. Their defense is poor at best. They get frustrated easily.

When we play them in Kansas it will be a battle. This will be Hurley type game. Going to run, pressure the ball, crash the boards and claw and scrap for every loose ball. I would not sell us short on this one.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

No. UConn Tampered with spencer and committed to UConn before he even hit the portal.
I mean, it's absolutely silly in that we really, really wanted Timberlake. Did we talk to Cam before he hit the Portal? My guess: Yes. I don't think he even leaves Rutgers otherwise. So maybe true, but highly misleading.

Reaction Score
Marquette looked really good, a smaller/quicker version of our team. It’s going to be a battle playing them.
Their big guy is a slightly smaller version of adama.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

World’s smallest violin. Laughing at this post. What is even better is that just say Timberlake had chosen UConn. IMO he would be having a better year. Kansas is a collection of players, but we found out last night for at least right now they do not play team offense or defense. But Marquette is really good so that was a contributing factor. I was interested that this is even on their radar. Don’t think it was until this week. They just thought they had the world beat with Hunter….

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Marquette looked good, will definitely be tough games against then. Kansas is #1? They looked soft, Dickinson stood around and just didn’t look strong - if Clingan is 100% I like that matchup. We can definitely beat them home turf or no.

Reaction Score
Thank you God for Cam Spencer instead of Timberlake.
Seriously - when I actually saw him play, my jaw nearly hit the floor. He’s lucky Hurley even spoke to him. He’s barely made a shot. Spencer is 10x the player.

Reaction Score
Kansas got outplayed all over the court. This will help them get better. Marquette contesting every pass is not a style you see often (even in the Big East). The last teams I recall playing that way regularly were the UConn Dream Team, Nolan Richardson Arkansas and some of Pitino's squads at Louisville. It's physically hard to do and high risk. KU lacks shooters and even then had a bad night, especially from the FT line. Timberlake not being at least Joey C level is hurting them. I also think playing a slow, easy Chaminade team the day before did not help.

Marquette looks phenomenal, but I'm curious to see what Painter does against that pressure. A few fake passes and backdoor cuts and you can force Marquette to back off a bit. Preparation and execution will be key. They will be tough for us, but we are a much worse matchup for them than KU is once we get Castle back.
Also curious about Purdue, because I think Ighodaro may be too quick for Edey, whereas Gold could stretch the floor and burn him out on the perimeter… just one facet though

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Guys didn't seem to care to play defense (especially Hunter Dickinson who just sort of stood around in the paint with his hands at his side all night).
His defensive effort was downright embarrassing last night. Wild that a dude whose biggest question mark at the next level is on defense just doesn’t seem to care about it at all.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Also curious about Purdue, because I think Ighodaro may be too quick for Edey, whereas Gold could stretch the floor and burn him out on the perimeter… just one facet though
Which, by the way, is exactly the problem we face. Clingan couldn't handle Gold last year.

I'm more interested in the steals. Purdue is going to be ready for the overplay on the passing lanes, and that aggressiveness does open lanes to the rim. It's a risky, gambling defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom