Marquette/Kansas | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marquette/Kansas

Reaction Score
From what I remember, Georgetown was considered the early favorite for Spencer. In fact, Cooley was accused of tampering on Twitter (I know, I know, Twitter noise doesn’t mean a thing). Still, even the infamous Trilly Donovan suggested the Hoyas led initially. He probably knows more than a random Kansas message board poster.

Counterpoint: There is a Twitter user named “Cushy Spike” who seems to tweet exclusively about Cam Spencer, and Cushy suggests Georgetown was never the leader. Sometimes I love Twitter as much as this place. In conclusion, I can’t wait for 12/1.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah huh. Big boy loves to instigate then fall down and whine to the stripes. Dislike him.
He plays for my #2 team and I don’t like him. That was a South American soccer player move.

caw

Reaction Score
From what I remember, Georgetown was considered the early favorite for Spencer. In fact, Cooley was accused of tampering on Twitter (I know, I know, Twitter noise doesn’t mean a thing). Still, even the infamous Trilly Donovan suggested the Hoyas led initially. He probably knows more than a random Kansas message board poster.

Cooley tampering. Say it ain’t so. He has tried to snake players during handshake lines so not surprising.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Got this from a Kansas board.

Posted on 20 hrs, , User Since 8 months ago, User Post Count: 41

No. UConn Tampered with spencer and committed to UConn before he even hit the portal.
No comments about how nefarious it was for UConn to set up Kansas by using Timberlake as a decoy?

Were they blindsided and in shock, unwilling to admit their admiration for such a maneuver, or just angry?

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about that. Was there any previous relationship between someone on the UConn coaching staff and Spencer? I don't know of any. Murray maybe? Don't think Spencer looked at UConn before when he transferred to Rutgers. So do you think the UConn coaches were looking all around the country at who was a good fit and pinpointed Spencer and reached out to him? Seems kind of far fetched unless they had some previous relationship.
Rutgers is uconn’s aaa farm team, where have you been. Their marketing pitch claims association with uconn’s championships

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
You only see a shot chart like Marquette’s when the other team is playing poor interior defense. It should be easy to defend a team that is only shooting 3’s and layups/dunks, unless your center doesn’t care about defense.
Am I missing something here? UConn basically only shoots 3s and in the paint, pretty sure these are considered the only good shots in basketball anymore. Last I checked we aren’t easy to defend.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Am I missing something here? UConn basically only shoots 3s and in the paint, pretty sure these are considered the only good shots in basketball anymore. Last I checked we aren’t easy to defend.

Am I missing something here? Hurley talks about running shooters off the 3 point line and protecting the rim all the time. Are you saying that Hurley is wrong to focus defensively on those two points of the floor?

(drive by posts like yours are the worst part of this board)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Question for basketball geniuses like @Icehawk . If every offense is trying to get more threes or get to the basket, do you think that those same coaches running those offenses have thought about defending those same parts of the floor? Or do those same coaches somehow forget that every offense is trying to get more open 3's or layups when coaching defense?

Reaction Score
Am I missing something here? Hurley talks about running shooters off the 3 point line and protecting the rim all the time. Are you saying that Hurley is wrong to focus defensively on those two points of the floor?

(drive by posts like yours are the worst part of this board)

OK, not trying to argue here, but im confused.
We are basically the top "3's and layups" team in the country for the last 2 seasons.
Hurley's entire defense is running teams off the 3 point line to force long 2's (while protecting the rim).

Is this what you're saying as well ?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
OK, not trying to argue here, but im confused.
We are basically the top "3's and layups" team in the country for the last 2 seasons.
Hurley's entire defense is running teams off the 3 point line to force long 2's (while protecting the rim).

Is this what you're saying as well ?

Everyone’s defense is trying to get teams off the 3 point line. If a team is only taking 3’s and layups, it means the other team was either overmatched or not trying defensively ( the point I was making about Kansas).

Reaction Score
Everyone’s defense is trying to get teams off the 3 point line. If a team is only taking 3’s and layups, it means the other team was either overmatched or not trying defensively ( the point I was making about Kansas).
Im not sure you're looking for a response here, but yes, that sounds right. It's likely a combination of defensive effort, and the complexity of the offense you're facing. Good offense seems to beat good defense.
This is what made our offense so lethal last season. Everyone knew we were all layups and 3's, and we got them anyways. Part of the reason is that college defense can be very hit or miss (either effort issues, or rotation issues), and the other part is that our offense is hard to stop because of player and ball movement.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No comments about how nefarious it was for UConn to set up Kansas by using Timberlake as a decoy?

Were they blindsided and in shock, unwilling to admit their admiration for such a maneuver, or just angry?
Someone needs to tell that guy that fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
All the Big East admiration and Creighton has 29 points under 12 against Colorado state, looks like they’ve never played basketball before.

Reaction Score
Im not sure you're looking for a response here, but yes, that sounds right. It's likely a combination of defensive effort, and the complexity of the offense you're facing. Good offense seems to beat good defense.
This is what made our offense so lethal last season. Everyone knew we were all layups and 3's, and we got them anyways. Part of the reason is that college defense can be very hit or miss (either effort issues, or rotation issues), and the other part is that our offense is hard to stop because of player and ball movement.
I would argue UConn’s defense was the main differential last year. History shows the winners come from a group that is top 20 in defense and offense. Uconn was one of roughly 6 teams that fit the criteria. Perhaps this is the reason Purdue usually exits early. Anyone can have a bad shooting game. Good defense is there every game because its 90 percent effort. This years team might have both if the freshman can improve defensively. Castle is an obvious exception

Reaction Score
Counterpoint: There is a Twitter user named “Cushy Spike” who seems to tweet exclusively about Cam Spencer, and Cushy suggests Georgetown was never the leader. Sometimes I love Twitter as much as this place. In conclusion, I can’t wait for 12/1.

That guy definitely seems like Spencer's Dad or something lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom