Marisa Moseley [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Marisa Moseley [merged thread]

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Watching the Badgers against NW tonight. The Uconn style of play is obvious. She is doing a terrific rebuilding job working with a tenth of the talent that is at UConn. They did a halftime feature on her and it reinforced what we already knew. She is a great leader and even better person.

In my opinion, she should be a candidate to replace Geno when he decides to step down.

Reaction Score
The two best players in the state are coming to UConn instead of Wisconsin. She can’t keep losing that in state talent; the best coach with the worst players still loses.
I totally disagree. I understand what you mean but I totally disagree. So many so called best players leave their states to go play elsewhere. What never gets mentioned is that, in this case, Coach Marisa, is able to land other in state talent. All it takes is that one (or two) player who were in the running for Ms. Basketball in that state, to say "I want to stay home and play for the Badgers" to turn a program around. Then folks will be upset because that player didn't go play for a major program so that they could get more exposure. Then the line becomes "Oh. That player was scared of competition at the highest level." No. Just maybe that player wanted to stay close to home and play for the home team to build up the program and create a legacy for the local program.

I am hoping that Coach Moseley can build that Wisconsin up into a competitive program in the Big Ten. She is an excellent teacher and a joy to work for. I try to work as many summer basketball camps as I can and they allow me over in Wisconsin. That UConn Way. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The two best players in the state are coming to UConn instead of Wisconsin. She can’t keep losing that in state talent; the best coach with the worst players still loses.
Moseley is not competing for recruits against Geno right now. No one considering UConn is also considering UW.

She’ll work her way up the recruit rankings over time. This is also how Geno built UConn.

Reaction Score
I totally disagree. I understand what you mean but I totally disagree. So many so called best players leave their states to go play elsewhere. What never gets mentioned is that, in this case, Coach Marisa, is able to land other in state talent. All it takes is that one (or two) player who were in the running for Ms. Basketball in that state, to say "I want to stay home and play for the Badgers" to turn a program around. Then folks will be upset because that player didn't go play for a major program so that they could get more exposure. Then the line becomes "Oh. That player was scared of competition at the highest level." No. Just maybe that player wanted to stay close to home and play for the home team to build up the program and create a legacy for the local program.

I am hoping that Coach Moseley can build that Wisconsin up into a competitive program in the Big Ten. She is an excellent teacher and a joy to work for. I try to work as many summer basketball camps as I can and they allow me over in Wisconsin. That UConn Way. ;)
The Big 10 is the highest level right now. I wasn’t criticizing her at all; just stating the obvious that recruiting talent is the hardest thing for a coach to do, particularly in an historically mediocre program. IU also lost the two best players to UConn, but the coach has built a powerhouse program anyway by recruiting high level talent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In my opinion, she should be a candidate to replace Geno when he decides to step down.
Not at 10-18. But if she gets things cooking there, I'm sure she'll be in the mix. I'm thinking Berube's the current fave. On an eleven game winning streak!

Reactions: GG

GG

Reaction Score
Not at 10-18. But if she gets things cooking there, I'm sure she'll be in the mix. I'm thinking Berube's the current fave. On an eleven game winning streak!
I would have to agree. Beriberi is quite the coach.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Moseley rebuilt Boston U, with time, Wisconsin will get to success levels unseen by the program in years.

UConn, of course, does not need rebuilt. Moseley understands UConn’s culture and demands on winning. She had to go elsewhere to experience first hand the demands of being a head coach. She not only has that now but built her own reputation as a great leader.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is the highest level right now. I wasn’t criticizing her at all; just stating the obvious that recruiting talent is the hardest thing for a coach to do, particularly in an historically mediocre program. IU also lost the two best players to UConn, but the coach has built a powerhouse program anyway by recruiting high level talent.
Great comments, especially the part about the historically mediocre programs. Like I said, and what you pointed out about IU, all it takes is for Coach Moseley to find one (or two) Wisconsin player(s) with a huge chip on their shoulder(s) and a strong will to win. That can change a program.

Reaction Score
I really don't think any coach that is struggling in the BIG Ten is wanting the challenge of replacing a legend, especially a former or coach. I would personally go after someone from outside the program like a Kara Lawson. I don't think a person who thinks like Geno, recruits like Geno or acts like Geno should replace Geno when the time comes.

I really hope Geno sticks around another 10 years and wins a few more championships. He is a remarkable game planner and can squeeze the last ounce of production out of the right personality. When he leaves UCONN will have a hard time not following the like of Tennessee after Summit or Texas after Conradt. Some coaches are legends and there is a reason they are.

Reaction Score
Great comments, especially the part about the historically mediocre programs. Like I said, and what you pointed out about IU, all it takes is for Coach Moseley to find one (or two) Wisconsin player(s) with a huge chip on their shoulder(s) and a strong will to win. That can change a program.
The Illinois coach turned a miserable program around immediately by bringing along her two best players from Dayton. The Portal is a golden opportunity for coaches coming from mid majors. Marise didn’t have that advantage.

Reaction Score
Maybe she would be better off to not play the UConn way -the beautiful game- which we all love but instead recruit two big girls from anywhere she can find them and win ugly with offensive rebounds from her unrated other poor shooting players

Reaction Score
I would personally go after someone from outside the program like a Kara Lawson.
I like Lawson just fine, but there are too many good Connecticut alums out there to be considering bringing in someone from a rival program (I wouldn't want Megan Duffy either).

Reaction Score
Love Coach Marisa, but there are few measurable results that lead me to believe she will be successful in Wisconsin. As I said when she took this job, not the greatest talent pool and a mixed bag whether the university would fully support a women's basketball program.

Reaction Score
Just a word of caution. Lindsay Whelan is a legend in Minnesota, but can’t do anything with the program. Her best player from last year is one of IU’s key players; an amazing shooter beyond the arc. Apparently, she liked winning more than playing for a legend.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In 5 years under Tsipis Wisconsin never finished better than tied for 12th. Badgers finish 10th under Marisa in her 2nd season. Big win today.

I also think Berube is the fave if she wants it. Not sure what Shea's goals are but the husband as an assistant coach won't fly at UConn so that may be a big factor.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
So Wisconsin a team that has no chance of making the Tournament, unless they win the B1G Tournament, beats Michigan the #12 ranked team, while St. John's a team that looks like they are in the Tournament beats UConn and the bracketology guru's make it sound like it's the end of the world. Congrats goes out to Marisa and Wisconsin on the win.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Yes Michigan was down 2 of their 3 top scorers. But talent wise., Michigan had no business losing to the Badgers.

Wisconsin has very little size and depth. However, they move the ball really well and show endless energy on defense.

The joy and buy in the team has in playing for Marisa is obvious.

The structure is built. She now has to have some success in recruiting and finding depth in the portal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom