vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't know if this was previously posted. LINK

Paying the price for the defections?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Marinatto spent too much time trying to force the football schools to stay in the Big East so that the basketball-onlies wouldn't lose their cash cows. He kept trying to keep it together even though it was obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that that was a doomed effort. So now we have this crazy-quilt conference with schools from Texas, California, Tennessee and Idaho in the Big EAST, for heaven's sake. What a disaster.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Marinatto spent too much time trying to force the football schools to stay in the Big East so that the basketball-onlies wouldn't lose their cash cows. He kept trying to keep it together even though it was obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that that was a doomed effort. So now we have this crazy-quilt conference with schools from Texas, California, Tennessee and Idaho in the Big EAST, for heaven's sake. What a disaster.
honestly, i'm surprised the FB schools didn't force him out sooner. it was a colossal cluster duck* and the BE will never really be viable in the long run. we all hope UCONN lands in the ACC, Big 12 or Big 10. the ACC seems most likely, but who knows once the poaching begins again...

Reaction Score
honestly, i'm surprised the FB schools didn't force him out sooner. it was a colossal cluster duck* and the BE will never really be viable in the long run. we all hope UCONN lands in the ACC, Big 12 or Big 10. the ACC seems most likely, but who knows once the poaching begins again...
I think the chances for ACC took a little hit with the UConn men's APR penalty. Those ACC schools take great pride in their academics, and a school penalized because of APR issues is not going to be an attractive add.

Like you, I also think the BE in its soon to be form, with some schools in for all sports, some for football only and one notable exception in for everything BUT football is doomed and won't last long. Entirely possible that within a few years the football schools will finally get fed up with the basketball schools and make a break - whether they jump to other conferences or form their own.

Reaction Score
I think the chances for ACC took a little hit with the UConn men's APR penalty. Those ACC schools take great pride in their academics, and a school penalized because of APR issues is not going to be an attractive add.

Like you, I also think the BE in its soon to be form, with some schools in for all sports, some for football only and one notable exception in for everything BUT football is doomed and won't last long. Entirely possible that within a few years the football schools will finally get fed up with the basketball schools and make a break - whether they jump to other conferences or form their own.
Guess you haven't been following the UNC academic mess.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Florida State is in the ACC. There is no moral high ground on academics for the conference that houses FSU.

Reaction Score
Florida State is in the ACC. There is no moral high ground on academics for the conference that houses FSU.
Not to mention Miami. To be fair even highly regarded universities offer routes of "least resistance" for their athletes. Even Stanford is known to publish a list of classes that's only available to athletes that are substantially easier. Of course when confronted about it they claimed it was just to make it easier for athletes to find classes that were offered in a time frame that would allow their enrollment. Then it was "no comment" when it was pointed out that there were hundreds of classes in over a dozen departments not on the list that were offered during the same time periods. A good number of the courses don't even qualify for Stanford's general education requirements. We're talking grades for "North American Dance" helping establish GPA and eligibility at Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom