Margo Lady Vol Season Approaching | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Margo Lady Vol Season Approaching

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Thank you for posting... Love Margo.... Her enthusiasm for LV basketball is great.... and to be applauded....

What she said about chemistry is spot on.... yes you can beat better teams when your team hits on all cylinders.... and has a feel for what is needed and what your teammates are doing....

Several assumptions she makes.... of course.... that the guards "are ready"..... how do people know this until they actually are tested that first time?

Nared of course will be super this year... she always comes to play.... I disagree with all the folks who say that Mercedes will have a banner year.... Poor gal had the foot problems at start of her career... but since she has been healthy I have not seen the motivation or desire on a consistent basis necessary to elevate her team to the next level...

Having said this.... i look forward to hearing Margo throughout the season.....
Mercedes last year had her best year so far. She lead the SEC in double doubles. I think the USA experience this summer will help also.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Success for TN continues to be dependent on better shooting percentage when "attacking" zone defenses, which will be plentiful this season.
Yes. And usually it is not in a teams best interest to be so dependent on Freshmen. Especially to run the team.
Pretty much how she got into the situation before with "the inmates running the asylum". DD as a transfer was given free reign along with Cooper. To me the real problem in her system is how much the guards have to do: Bring up the ball, run the floor, drive or kick, make the perfect pass, make the outside shots, move the defense on the perimeter. While the forwards are merely supposed to set screens, shoot 5 footers, and rebound. Bah.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wasn't Tennessee massively underachieving during Warlick's watch long before Diamond arrived? Seems like she's being made a convenient scapegoat, but the issues in Knoxville go way beyond one player. It's systemic. It's the coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That team played great at times. The team had some big wins. The chemistry wasn't there all the time. In some of the losses. I don't see that being a problem this year,
TN had some big loses too and I'm not sure you are supporting your argument for Holly vs. bad team chemistry. Inconsistent play points more to coaching that it does to bad chemistry as being the main issue.
TN 2016-17 Bad Losses:
Penn State
Va Tech
Ole Miss
Auburn
Georgia
Texas A&M
Alabama (Twice)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
TN had some big loses too and I'm not sure you are supporting your argument for Holly vs. bad team chemistry. Inconsistent play points more to coaching that it does to bad chemistry as being the main issue.
TN 2016-17 Bad Losses:
Penn State
Va Tech
Ole Miss
Auburn
Georgia
Texas A&M
Alabama (Twice)
Right as rain CC. Inconsistent play when you have a truckload of talent almost ALWAYS means poor coaching. Even if the chemistry is bad, who put the team together? It wasn't some random act that matched this talent.

Reaction Score
The Lady Vols do, in fact, play great at times. This is, in my opinion, in spite of, and not because of Holly. They really do still successfully recruit great athletes, a reality that ought to offer encouragement to those of us who dread Geno's inevitable and eventual retirement. But, for those of us who are blessedly spoiled by watching Geno-coached teams, watching the Lady Vols play, as I occasionally do, is almost shocking for the utter absence of offensive flow, the reliance on a schoolyard, half-court game that is foreign to us. Great players can sometimes shine in such a system, but will offer no consistency, especially against better defenses.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
TN 2016-17 Bad Losses:
Penn State
Va Tech
Ole Miss
Auburn
Georgia
Texas A&M
Alabama (Twice)
I don't think that chemistry will be a problem with this team. I also think having better play at point guard helps. I think we will see that this year. I don't think this team should have any of those type loses.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Mercedes Russell started for USA basketball last summer over Kalani Brown.

Reaction Score
Yes. And usually it is not in a teams best interest to be so dependent on Freshmen. Especially to run the team.
So true. Plus, some of the freshmen have stated they came to Tenn to return them back to the top. Quite an arrogant attitude before playing even one D1 game. I've wondered if recruits that come to play for Holly do so because they know she is a weak coach and so assume they will be able to do as they please to "rescue" the program. To me, this portends the same toxic scenario that existed when the three players left for greener pastures.

I just don't see improvement over last year. Highly ranked freshmen will not offset the loss of highly ranked experienced players. The only smart thing Tenn had done in the last 10 years was to cancel the series with UCONN. That has saved them from many additional losses.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Mercedes Russell started for USA basketball last summer over Kalani Brown.
Last time they played against each other. Mercedes 22 points Brown 2 points.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How long before HS recruits aren't even aware of Pat Summit or Tennessee's glory days? It has to be coming eventually doesn't it? I'm continually amazed that they continue to haul in so much talent, despite being so far from what they used to be.

Reaction Score
Margo should have a street named after her in Knoxville.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
TN plays a soft schedule to begin their season, but..........the rubber will meet the road for the Lady Vols beginning Dec 10 against the Texas Longhorns. They come west for 2 games against Long Beach St. & Stanford. LBSU is one of the schools I suggested UConn could play when they come west to play Stanford or UCLA.

Sun, Dec 10 vs Texas 3:00 PM ET
Sun, Dec 17 @ LBSU 5:00 PM ET
Thu, Dec 21 @ Stanford TBD
Sun, Dec 31 @ Kentucky 12:00 PM ET

Carnac

Reaction Score
Margo should have a street named after her in Knoxville.

Yeah, they could name it "Margo Lane". Not to be confused with another more infamous Margo Lane circa 1937.

Margo Lane is a fictional character in The Shadow stories. Margo is a friend and companion to that young dashing man about town Lamont Cranston, and an agent for his alter ego, The Shadow, in the wealthy set. Her first appearance was in 1937 in the Shadow radio drama. Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Here are some of my thoughts. I think Russell will have a big year. Nared will also have a good year. I think that with Westbrook and Hayes. That the point guard position will be better. I think Green will help inside. I don't think this team will have any drama.

You shouldn't. Most of the "Drama Queens" are gone. Russell and Nared should provide the senior leadership needed to get and keep this team focused, and headed in the right direction.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
You shouldn't. Most of the "Drama Queens" are gone. Russell and Nared should provide the senior leadership needed to get and keep this team focused, and headed in the right direction.
Yes leadership is needed. Its going to be important for this team. Russell and Nared will have good years.

Reaction Score
Mercedes last year had her best year so far. She lead the SEC in double doubles. I think the USA experience this summer will help also.

Yes I know.... I would expect her to be dominant, not just a roster filler..... I saw at least a dozen games last year.... and i think she played out of her mind in one of them.... (ND I think) and the rest very average...

Just my opinion..... It is not that i think she is a bad player.... just that I believe she will not lead her team to the promised land.... several times last year I saw her make lazy plays... i.e. not boxing out... vs lesser teams...

Even though she was #1 overall recruit in country.... she does not compare with some of the greats who have passed through Knoxville IMO

Reaction Score
So true. Plus, some of the freshmen have stated they came to Tenn to return them back to the top. Quite an arrogant attitude before playing even one D1 game. I've wondered if recruits that come to play for Holly do so because they know she is a weak coach and so assume they will be able to do as they please to "rescue" the program. To me, this portends the same toxic scenario that existed when the three players left for greener pastures.

I just don't see improvement over last year. Highly ranked freshmen will not offset the loss of highly ranked experienced players. The only smart thing Tenn had done in the last 10 years was to cancel the series with UCONN. That has saved them from many additional losses.

Bestiarius.... BINGO!!! I agree with your assessment in 1st paragraph.... freshmen who do not necessarily want to be pushed or challenged.... or the same sentiment extended from their parents.... DeShields, Massengale are 2 examples.... banners at TBA , retired numbers, and good fan base adds up to an intoxication that is attractive to some.

I do not think the players have respect for the coaching staff .... i e head coach , as everything filters to there.....

But at U Tennessee, it has become more realistic.... Holly's first year was the "grind for 9" .... and no such battle cry since.... now from what i see and reading Volnation, making it to the Elite 8 is a successful year.

Reaction Score
TN 2016-17 Bad Losses:
Penn State
Va Tech
Ole Miss
Auburn
Georgia
Texas A&M
Alabama (Twice)
I totally agree. IMO too much is being made about their bad chemistry. Tennessee may have better team chemistry this year but there’s no way that I think their a better team without Diamond and Cooper.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Basketball event tonight. Fans come out and meet the teams.

Reaction Score
Margo drives me crazy, and for me it's a really short drive as I'm already crazy! (which you all can attest to)
Her perspective on her LadyVols is hysterical screaming after unbelievable TN losses to horrid opponents!
Nothing changes in Knoxville, new players, same inept coaching staff will lead to a mediocre season!
As long as Holly Warlick and that staff are together they will find a way to lose. Once the new players see the clueless coaching staff at work they will mutiny and try to take over the "ship"!
My great wish is that Holly sign a LIFETIME CONTRACT with TN!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I totally agree. IMO too much is being made about their bad chemistry. Tennessee may have better team chemistry this year but there’s no way that I think their a better team without Diamond and Cooper.
Do they make the tournament? If they do, how far do they go? Third round?

Carnac

Reaction Score

I'm wondering how attractive she'll be in the WNBA draft come April? First round?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom