Mamoudou Diarra update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mamoudou Diarra update

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Can't help but say that if we swing and miss on 2 former players Chillious already locked up, was his recruiting success a product of Michael Porter and Markelle Fultz?

Do you wake up on the wrong side of the bed every day?

And by the way, who found Fultz before any other college coach in America?

Reaction Score
mamoudou diarra taking a visit to cincinatti means fire raphael chillious

Reaction Score
No actually, I'm done waiting. I'm not a patient person. I was expecting those Washington transfers and recruits folks here were predicting. Without them, what did he bring? I don't want a bunch of West Coast recruits that get homesick and bail. How many West Coast kids have succeeded here? Hamilton didn't want to be here. Give me Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, CT and New Jersey kids all day long. I say hire Bob Hurley Sr.

Good thing Chillious isn't a West Coast guy.

Reaction Score
No actually, I'm done waiting. I'm not a patient person. I was expecting those Washington transfers and recruits folks here were predicting. Without them, what did he bring? I don't want a bunch of West Coast recruits that get homesick and bail. How many West Coast kids have succeeded here? Hamilton didn't want to be here. Give me Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, CT and New Jersey kids all day long. I say hire Bob Hurley Sr.
I know you are concerned like most of fans are. But I think the staff knows what they are looking for. Polley, Carlton and Diarra (the one we have) are projects as freshman. I think they don't want too many projects therefore are going the grad transfer route. They are just buying time with these one year players so they can concentrate on the real big high school talent for 2018 1nd 2019. I think they have many players that they consider better in the transfer market and are really
looking for immediate help in certain areas. By July we will see that everything will fall in place and when the season starts you will be pleasantly surprised. Yes there is anxiety but I do believe they are doing the best things for next season.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Lol

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Do you wake up on the wrong side of the bed every day?

And by the way, who found Fultz before any other college coach in America?
He was a Top 25 player for well over a year. Louisville, Georgetown, Maryland, and Arizona offered him in 2014, almost a year before he committed to Washington. He didn't find Fultz, but he did help to win the recruitment battle which you need to give him credit for.

Reaction Score

And to think, for a second I thought you were going to acknowledge that saying you were "still waiting" to see what the hype with Chillious after three weeks in April was but instead you doubled down and said something even dumber. It's like I forgot where I was for a second.

Reaction Score
"When Huskies associate head coach Raphael Chillious is out on the recruiting trail, he likes to get to gyms early, “so I can get my ear hustle on,” as he puts it. He makes small talk, picks up tips on certain players and sometimes — fortuitously in this case — catches the JV team play before the varsity game.

“So I sit down (at DeMatha) to watch the JV game,” said Chillious, who is a Maryland native and remains well-connected within the D.C. basketball community. “And I’m watching a little five-foot-nine kid who’s just all over the place making plays. His arms are down to his feet, he's got these gigantic hands, big feet — so you can tell he's going to grow.

“By halftime I was like, ‘That kid right there, if he grows at all, he’s not going to be just good, he’s going to be an NBA All-Star. An All-Star.’ ”

Chillious knew he sounded slightly ridiculous. But he’d seen and coached enough talent to know, rather quickly, what NBA-caliber players look like. or, at the very least, what their frames and skill sets look like."

Its not like the kid wouldn't have been discovered, but this is where that narrative comes from.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No a friend of his is a scout who told him about fultz. He was the only coach who recognized the potential.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No a friend of his is a scout who told him about fultz. He was the only coach who recognized the potential.

To say that you are taking a narrow view of the word "found" would be a gigantic understatement, if I hadn't specifically said "before any other college coach in America." Sodipo's not a college coach, so you're just wrong.

In any event, the takeaway is that Chill recognized his talent, zoned in on the kid and stayed on him for his entire career.

Picking up from where walker11 left off, here's the rest of the "narrative":

When the April recruiting period started, Chillious was ready, as was his boss. The Huskies coaching staff never missed any of Fultz’s AAU and high school games — literally none — over the next two years.

Fultz continued to work with personal trainer Keith Williams, growing his game as he grew into his bigger frame. His breakout moment(s) came while playing on the AAU circuit the summer before his junior year. Then, everybody wanted in on the kid from Upper Marlboro, Md. Arizona. Kentucky. Kansas. The offers kept coming.

But Washington had been there from the start — and had been there every step of the ascent, too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To say that you are taking a narrow view of the word "found" would be a gigantic understatement. Sure, the story goes that Sodipo tipped a bunch of coaches off. But you're agreeing that Chill was the only college coach who recognized Fultz's potential when he was 5'9", right? That means he "found" him before his competition. I mean, Fultz's mom "found" him before Sodipo.

The point is that Chill zoned in on this kid and stayed on him for his entire career.

Picking up from where walker11 left off, here's the rest of the "narrative":

When the April recruiting period started, Chillious was ready, as was his boss. The Huskies coaching staff never missed any of Fultz’s AAU and high school games — literally none — over the next two years.

Fultz continued to work with personal trainer Keith Williams, growing his game as he grew into his bigger frame. His breakout moment(s) came while playing on the AAU circuit the summer before his junior year. Then, everybody wanted in on the kid from Upper Marlboro, Md. Arizona. Kentucky. Kansas. The offers kept coming.

But Washington had been there from the start — and had been there every step of the ascent, too.
yes I understand who gets talent who sees talent, But how did Washington do this year with Markel Fultz. I think its winning and losing
that's important. Some people still don't get it. No disrespect intended.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
yes I understand who gets talent who sees talent, But how did Washington do this year with Markel Fultz. I think its winning and losing
that's important. Some people still don't get it. No disrespect intended.

The entire UW coaching staff has a lot to prove if any of them want to be a head coach any time soon. Romar squandered talent year after year.

But the fact is that Chillious has a good track record of recognizing and landing talent. Development is a major issue for us but getting talented kids who you can develop is a first step.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Romar just got an assistant coaching position with Miller at Arizona. The question regarding who was the recruiting mastermind at UW, Chillious or Romar, will be answered soon enough. Let's see which school gets the recruiting bump, Arizona doesn't really need one at the moment currently though, they are probably landing top 5 talent last 5 years or so.

Reaction Score
Romar just got an assistant coaching position with Miller at Arizona. The question regarding who was the recruiting mastermind at UW, Chillious or Romar, will be answered soon enough. Let's see which school gets the recruiting bump, Arizona doesn't really need one at the moment currently though, they are probably landing top 5 talent last 5 years or so.

Can't wait for this to be answered. It's been killing me.

Reaction Score
What's your problem?

I don't have one, why would we ever find out who the recruiting genius of the 2 are when Miller's already getting Top 5 kids at Zona is my question? They didn't need him to recruit, they need him to coach. A couple kids from UW which many believe to be Chillious's don't come here 2 weeks after he takes a job and now we have to see if he's up to the challenge vs his old head coach? Give the guy time to breath please everyone.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't have one, why would we ever find out who the recruiting genius of the 2 are when Miller's already getting Top 5 kids at Zona is my question? They didn't need him to recruit, they need him to coach. A couple kids from UW which many believe to be Chillious's don't come here 2 weeks after he takes a job and now we have to see if he's up to the challenge vs his old head coach? Give the guy time to breath please everyone.
Miller picked Romar - genius move - wait till you see all those 5* guys running to listen to Romar's winning success stories
KO picked Chillious - another idiotic move, can't even get all those UW guys to come to UConn and sit on the bench
That's what he is trying to get at Mau - very plain to see
Why oh why couldn't KO have done the genius think and get Romar????????????????????????

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Chillious' recruits and Fultz won 9 games last year, he and the rest of the staff get let go, Chill ends up here, Romar at Arizona. Pretty sure that means most of the 'great' recruits they landed were more so do to Romar, considering Zona could've had Chill if they wanted him.

Reaction Score
Chillious' recruits and Fultz won 9 games last year, he and the rest of the staff get let go, Chill ends up here, Romar at Arizona. Pretty sure that means most of the 'great' recruits they landed were more so do to Romar, considering Zona could've had Chill if they wanted him.
What's your point? Chills was a great hire PERIOD. Who cares about Lorenzo Romar. He's irrelevant to us

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Wait, that's what you deduced from my post? That I was criticizing Chill? A number of people in this thread are discussing Chill's claim to fame in recruiting and are referencing him discovering Fultz, that's what I'm talking about. I'm saying we will soon know who the mastermind at Washington was all those years as its something I've been personally curious about for nearly a decade as a fan of college and the NBA, where have they been getting all this talent? But you think Miller hired Romar for his COACHING accumen? Have you watched a minute of college basketball or know anything about Romar?

I'll tell you what the problem is, people who are just way to overzealous at defending to the point where some of you are just looking for reasons to take offense. Frankly mau the boneyard needs its board fool back to posting scantily clad photos of women half his age, the serious basketball analysis and rah rah doesn't suit you.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Miller picked Romar - genius move - wait till you see all those 5* guys running to listen to Romar's winning success stories
KO picked Chillious - another idiotic move, can't even get all those UW guys to come to UConn and sit on the bench
That's what he is trying to get at Mau - very plain to see
Why oh why couldn't KO have done the genius think and get Romar????????????????????????
Is this seriously what you think a side note post on the Fultz discussion was getting at? Good god no wonder you have a problem with every single thing I post, it's because you are an absolute grade A moron!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom