MAL's father speaks out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MAL's father speaks out

Reaction Score
Dads supporting his kid can’t blame him. Problem is coach isn’t wrong kids not so good right now.

Lots of people here killed KO for losing him and “settling” for Akinjo. Hmmmmm...
we are supposed to give Ollie credit for failing his way into a better player? Sheer luck that he would have had Akinjo instead of MAL

Reaction Score

Actually, it’s just coaching. Look at our guards from one year to next. From pounding the ball to 100% fast break and motion offense in a few months. MAL needs to learn how to shoot. You have to be truly exceptional off the dribble and at the rim to excel at this level without a jumpshot.

Reaction Score
The main mistake he made was to decomitt from UCONN. KO was the perfect coach for him. They r both point guards, have the same size and play the same way. Neither r good shooters, KO would have allow him to play through his mistakes.

You want him to flourish under a coach who isnt even a coach anymore. Brilliant.

Reaction Score
People killed Ollie for losing MAL because people should have killed Ollie for losing MAL.

You act like it was some master stroke of player analysis...it wasn’t. It was just garden-variety laziness. The same kind of laziness that got him punted from recruiting Reeves and Duke.

Anywho....parents are an issue at every level of sport. It’s a little more public in this instance, but it’s nothing a college coach doesn’t deal with on a daily basis.

Guy who coaches our kid’s old USA Swimming club got a job as an assistant coach at a DI school...he says that gig is a thousand times easier because the swimmers’ parents aren’t around as much as the club swim parents.

2 different years so not all because of the other right? I mean maybe Akinjo doesn’t say yes to Ollie because MAL was here if it worked that way but he wanted to play for KO and was committed to him. All the same people find ways to continue to hammer the man for everything that still occurs (rightfully so for most too) but find little at all to give him credit for. Not deserving of much admittedly but when I see people talking wonderful things about Akinjo and I try to tie it to one of KOs positives it still gets shot down? He recognized a Top 200 recruit and won a war as Akinjo’s game grew, but its a mistake by KO huh? Lol

Hey it may have worked out for the kid because it seems that KO wasn’t a good enough developer (not sure on Ewing either) but that wasn’t what the post was about. KO saw a good talent and won but it’s hard for many of you to give him anything I know.

Reaction Score
we are supposed to give Ollie credit for failing his way into a better player? Sheer luck that he would have had Akinjo instead of MAL

2 different recruiting years get the facts straight.

Reaction Score
My problem with MAL is that every time I saw him play I went away thinking Wabissa Bede was the better choice; at least for college. Other than a nice run with BABC, not sure what Ollie saw that made him so enamored.

Reaction Score
My problem with MAL is that every time I saw him play I went away thinking Wabissa Bede was the better choice; at least for college. Other than a nice run with BABC, not sure what Ollie saw that made him so enamored.

The kid was a top-50 recruit. Ollie wasn't the only one enamored.

Reaction Score

At the time, he was considered a winner, a long pg with huge defensive upside and and a nice athlete that was becoming more athletic and was showing improvement on his shooting and other skills. He was highly thought of by a lot of people although there were other point guards like Waters who I liked much more because of shooting and ball handling ability.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
2 different years so not all because of the other right? I mean maybe Akinjo doesn’t say yes to Ollie because MAL was here if it worked that way but he wanted to play for KO and was committed to him. All the same people find ways to continue to hammer the man for everything that still occurs (rightfully so for most too) but find little at all to give him credit for. Not deserving of much admittedly but when I see people talking wonderful things about Akinjo and I try to tie it to one of KOs positives it still gets shot down? He recognized a Top 200 recruit and won a war as Akinjo’s game grew, but its a mistake by KO huh? Lol

Hey it may have worked out for the kid because it seems that KO wasn’t a good enough developer (not sure on Ewing either) but that wasn’t what the post was about. KO saw a good talent and won but it’s hard for many of you to give him anything I know.

Stop.

You’re really bad at this.

We should give Kevin Ollie credit for not getting off his ass to go see MAL because he then got Akinjo?

No.

Reaction Score
Actually, it’s just coaching. Look at our guards from one year to next. From pounding the ball to 100% fast break and motion offense in a few months. MAL needs to learn how to shoot. You have to be truly exceptional off the dribble and at the rim to excel at this level without a jumpshot.

Chillious taught Markelle Fultz how to shoot. Imagine what he would have done with MAL

Reaction Score
Stop.

You’re really bad at this.

We should give Kevin Ollie credit for not getting off his ass to go see MAL because he then got Akinjo?

No.

I'm not bad at anything. If you were here I know I'd be real good at punching you in the throat though!

Reaction Score
And you guys laugh when compare the Ollie crowd with those Japanese soldiers who held out until 1976.

Reaction Score
This thread might make the yard hall of fame, actually. Guys arguing whether a coach who is no longer here would have been the right guy to coach 2 players who didn’t come.

Reaction Score
These interviews must make Georgetown proud:

Without the video I hear AI’s voice clear in my head... this happened the first year I moved to Philadelphia so this was HUGE!!! Over and over...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom