Major Recruiting Weekend Is Underway in Storrs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Major Recruiting Weekend Is Underway in Storrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I was hoping the one thing our former used car salesman coach could do is recruit - but the realty is that has a downward trajectory too.
Susan's unrealistic academic standards for football players are in play too. ND is even struggling trying to pull that off.

Reaction Score
He verballed to us last April and Temple offered a few weeks later. So either we dropped the ball on the kid, or we are to believe that Temple was his dream school all along and he just didn't get around to flipping until recently?

More likely cause.....the season happened. Kid took one look and found the best port in a storm.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not exactly a retraction and he missed that the one negative comment was sarcastic.

Not transferring to Diaco? They work off their office phones?

Mr Saulin: "Hi, can you transfer me to Bob's extension
Receptionist: "Sir, Mr. Diaco does not have an extension. He doesn't even own a telephone.
Mr Saulin: "Uh...excuse me?"
Receptionist: "Yes, he maintains a spectacular level of isolation. The only way to reach him would be to go knock on his front door. Good luck."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Darius was older and he was here after that, my guess 2008-09

I guess we need to look it up but I was at the Rent event when they had Stormy in the class and I haven't been to one of those in forever.

2008 is plausible though.

Reaction Score
2 reported twitter commitments this morning per the official twitter account. Can't find who yet?

Reaction Score
I guess we need to look it up but I was at the Rent event when they had Stormy in the class and I haven't been to one of those in forever.

You are right February 2006. would make him closer to 28 or 29. time flies

Reaction Score
Well its not likely to be Pinnock. He is playing in the state title game against NC at 230. I just watched his senior highlight reel, could be a player as CB or WR. Long strider with 4.5 speed. Great leaping ability which is repeated displayed in this film.

Come Up - JASON PINNOCK highlights - Hudl

No thanks....we already have DBs that play 10-15 yards off the ball. I kid.....we need to look at all these kids at the larger schools.

We need to go after kids like Noah Fearnley (NDWH). He's not going to be rated, but he's battle tested against very good SCC/FCIAC comp, big (6'4, 190), athletic (also plays lacrosse), can play CB or S, and has a high football IQ. We are not getting 4/5 star kids with the current state of UConn Football. We need to get kids, who may be under the radar, but feel that they have something to prove and are willing to compete. The staff needs to take a real good look at the top contenders in the SCC, FCIAC, and CCC. Identify the talent at those LL/L schools and get on them early, build relationships with those coaches. Those are the kids that are leaving the state to play. Occasionally, you'll have and Arkeel Newsome, from a smaller school, who can make an impact. The CCC has produced so many D1/NFL players over the years that weren't recruited by or haven't even considered UConn. That has to change. In it's current state, UConn football needs to build from within, before it can attract top tier recruits. That doesn't mean we shouldn't recruit NJ, NY, PA, MA, OH, VA, TX, FL, etc., but the 4/5 star kids from those states aren't coming here (other then for a free visit), when you're not competing for league championships and bowl births consistently. They can get a free education and never play a down at a P5. But, they'll go to a bowl game every year, get a bunch of free gear, and get a ring in the process. The question for a recruit becomes, "What can UConn football do for me, on and off the field?". Off the field that's an easy answer, but on the field....can anyone answer that right now and keep a straight face? I don't know???

For the record, I don't know if Noah Fearnley, will even play football in college, from what I understand he's a very good lacrosse player, as well. I was using him as an example because he's a local kid (whose family I know), that has developed into quite a player at NDWH. So, take my opinion of him for what it's worth. But, I think from a recruiting standpoint, that UConn needs to continue to build relationships with the larger in-state high school powers, as well as the prep schools.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Nope - 2006.

He committed the day of the Rent recruiting hootenanny. I'm pretty sure he committed with another kid from his school who also had zero chance of qualifying.

Butler kicked around forever. He was on Texas Tech's roster for a while and then ended up playing somewhere in Divison II as recently as two or three seasons ago, even though he has to be close enough to 29 or 30 at this point.

Reaction Score
Nope - 2006.

He committed the day of the Rent recruiting hootenanny. I'm pretty sure he committed with another kid from his school who also had zero chance of qualifying.

Butler kicked around forever. He was on Texas Tech's roster for a while and then ended up playing somewhere in Divison II as recently as two or three seasons ago, even though he has to be close enough to 29 or 30 at this point.
Kindley Jaques?

Reaction Score
Anybody know how many kids we need with this class? I see a kid from Texas just committed which is new recruiting ground, any more and how many more can we get? Usually it's around 15-20 but ....

Reaction Score
Anybody know how many kids we need with this class? I see a kid from Texas just committed which is new recruiting ground, any more and how many more can we get? Usually it's around 15-20 but ....
Texas isn't new recruiting ground...we have had a few kids from Texas on the roster before and Diaco stated that was one of the areas he was going to recruit since there are Texas teams in the AAC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Kindley Jaques?

I thought it was another kid from Coral Springs, but it might have been Jacques.

Neither of them had a prayer of qualifying even after their prep year - Edsall was just currying favor with some high school coaches.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The saulin thread is gone but going on just my memory of the thread his dad comes off as a major drama queen who intentionally misled everyone about the coaching staff.

Few - maybe one person - ripped the kid for changing to temple while several praised him for having the insight to do it considering the crap finish to our crap year
Some also wondered how the hell we have.been passed by temple considering where both programs were just five years ago and the fact temple got the boot at one point from the BE.
But I. Elieve the father blatantly gave the impression the coaching staff wanted nothing to do with the kid once UConns schedule started up.
His misinterpretation of the Diaco lack of response is hysterical.

The dad is a drama queen - frankly, he should be embarrassed. It reflects poorly on him for engaging. He should expect, and tell his son to expect, some negative reaction for decommitting. It is human nature to be upset for getting jilted for a rival school, regardless of the reason. The kid made the best decision for him - fine. We are upset - also fine. Dad defending his son on a blog - poor form.

Reaction Score
It was a story on TOS by Aman K:

>>Saulin Sr. reached out to me to clarify some things. The post has since been deleted from the Boneyard at his request.

"I thought (the post) was a clarification on the Boneyard in a response to the bashing of my son's decision to change colleges," he said, but clearly felt it was misinterpreted "My error shouldn't have impacted my kid as much as it has so far," he added.

"In the post I wrote I forgot an important word of 'about' when I said we asked the coaching staff. It made it seem like Rob's coaches did not give us an answer. Rob's coaches are the best, Brown and Pointdexter , absolute class acts."

One of the key issues stemming from his post was around whether Bob Diaco answered a call from his son. Mr. Saulin clarified that as well.

"Diaco never rejected my calls..... when I called the athletic department as a parent of a scholarship (recruited) athlete, that is where I got the hang ups and not transferring to Diaco.

"I wrote that article as I was reading about how my son was a loser, no integrity, a piece of garbage," he said. " I will learn to stay off the football sites."<<

Reaction Score
Texas isn't new recruiting ground...we have had a few kids from Texas on the roster before and Diaco stated that was one of the areas he was going to recruit since there are Texas teams in the AAC.
Ok, but I don't consider maybe one kid on average a year a solid recruiting area. When we get more success out of one of the best D1 recruiting states, then I'll back off that it's new ground. The coaches need to open more doors and get more kids to consider UConn in Texas and all the the D1 football hotbed states. Do we have any kids from Florida yet this year?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

No thanks....we already have DBs that play 10-15 yards off the ball. I kid.....we need to look at all these kids at the larger schools.

We need to go after kids like Noah Fearnley (NDWH). He's not going to be rated, but he's battle tested against very good SCC/FCIAC comp, big (6'4, 190), athletic (also plays lacrosse), can play CB or S, and has a high football IQ. We are not getting 4/5 star kids with the current state of UConn Football. We need to get kids, who may be under the radar, but feel that they have something to prove and are willing to compete. The staff needs to take a real good look at the top contenders in the SCC, FCIAC, and CCC. Identify the talent at those LL/L schools and get on them early, build relationships with those coaches. Those are the kids that are leaving the state to play. Occasionally, you'll have and Arkeel Newsome, from a smaller school, who can make an impact. The CCC has produced so many D1/NFL players over the years that weren't recruited by or haven't even considered UConn. That has to change. In it's current state, UConn football needs to build from within, before it can attract top tier recruits. That doesn't mean we shouldn't recruit NJ, NY, PA, MA, OH, VA, TX, FL, etc., but the 4/5 star kids from those states aren't coming here (other then for a free visit), when you're not competing for league championships and bowl births consistently. They can get a free education and never play a down at a P5. But, they'll go to a bowl game every year, get a bunch of free gear, and get a ring in the process. The question for a recruit becomes, "What can UConn football do for me, on and off the field?". Off the field that's an easy answer, but on the field....can anyone answer that right now and keep a straight face? I don't know???

For the record, I don't know if Noah Fearnley, will even play football in college, from what I understand he's a very good lacrosse player, as well. I was using him as an example because he's a local kid (whose family I know), that has developed into quite a player at NDWH. So, take my opinion of him for what it's worth. But, I think from a recruiting standpoint, that UConn needs to continue to build relationships with the larger in-state high school powers, as well as the prep schools.

Nice player. And the more you watch recruiting videos the more you realize there are a lot of comparable "two star/three star" kids out there.

Regarding Pinnock, I have strong feelings about him, just looking to stir the conversation here about who might be visiting that has committed elsewhere. I do like his athleticism.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A 5th year junior QB who is graduating in May and can transfer for his final year of eligibility without sitting out a year? And hasn't told his current program that he is exploring the option of transferring?

That guy sounds an awful lot like Bryant Shireffs.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm still hoping DeGroot, Holmes, Maize pull the trigger for us. Johnson looks good too. Keeler has speed and a nose for tackles for a loss. Of all of these, Holmes looks like he could challenge for playing time as a frosh.

Reaction Score
I'm still hoping DeGroot, Holmes, Maize pull the trigger for us. Johnson looks good too. Kessler has speed and a nose for tackles for a loss. Of all of these, Holmes looks like he could challenge for playing time as a frosh.
FIFY;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek