Major Recruiting Weekend Is Underway in Storrs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Major Recruiting Weekend Is Underway in Storrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You do know that the dad backed off his original story? Did anyone really believe the coaching staff was that negligent?

When did that happen?

Reaction Score
When did that happen?

It was a story on TOS by Aman K:

>>Saulin Sr. reached out to me to clarify some things. The post has since been deleted from the Boneyard at his request.

"I thought (the post) was a clarification on the Boneyard in a response to the bashing of my son's decision to change colleges," he said, but clearly felt it was misinterpreted "My error shouldn't have impacted my kid as much as it has so far," he added.

"In the post I wrote I forgot an important word of 'about' when I said we asked the coaching staff. It made it seem like Rob's coaches did not give us an answer. Rob's coaches are the best, Brown and Pointdexter , absolute class acts."

One of the key issues stemming from his post was around whether Bob Diaco answered a call from his son. Mr. Saulin clarified that as well.

"Diaco never rejected my calls..... when I called the athletic department as a parent of a scholarship (recruited) athlete, that is where I got the hang ups and not transferring to Diaco.

"I wrote that article as I was reading about how my son was a loser, no integrity, a piece of garbage," he said. " I will learn to stay off the football sites."<<

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
No disrespect to the kids, but we aren't looking for Diaco to poach kids from Alabama. Is it too much to ask to get a kid over the Georgia Southerns of the world?

Oh, wait. I forgot. Diaco doesn't think the program's ever any good anyway. The lowest of low bars is set. Maybe we can eek out a recruiting battle with non-scholarship Georgetown.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
He verballed to us last April and Temple offered a few weeks later. So either we dropped the ball on the kid, or we are to believe that Temple was his dream school all along and he just didn't get around to flipping until recently?

Reaction Score
He verballed to us last April and Temple offered a few weeks later. So either we dropped the ball on the kid, or we are to believe that Temple was his dream school all along and he just didn't get around to flipping until recently?

Back to back AAC Championship Game appearances can do that... Pennsville DE Robbie Saulin flips commitment to Temple

>>Pennsville Memorial High School defensive lineman Robbie Saulin had been leaning towards flipping his commitment from Connecticut to Temple for a while. As he watched the Owls clinch a second straight American Athletic Conference East Division title at Lincoln Financial Field on Saturday night, he knew it was a move he had to make.<<

Reaction Score
Except for in state kid who always wanted to play for UCONN or if not getting any other FBS attention, think will be hard to get any new commits on offense until there is an OC and offensive staff in place as besides the recruits themselves, can not imagine a HS coach, parent or guardian allowing kid to make decision until all that is in place and meet the OC and/or position coach and know what kind of offense they will be running. With I think dead period coming up in recruiting might have to wait until January for any new commits on that side of the ball, anything before then would not consider it a solid commitment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

>>Saulin Sr. reached out to me to clarify some things. The post has since been deleted from the Boneyard at his request.

"I thought (the post) was a clarification on the Boneyard in a response to the bashing of my son's decision to change colleges," he said, but clearly felt it was misinterpreted "My error shouldn't have impacted my kid as much as it has so far," he added.

"In the post I wrote I forgot an important word of 'about' when I said we asked the coaching staff. It made it seem like Rob's coaches did not give us an answer. Rob's coaches are the best, Brown and Pointdexter , absolute class acts."

One of the key issues stemming from his post was around whether Bob Diaco answered a call from his son. Mr. Saulin clarified that as well.

"Diaco never rejected my calls..... when I called the athletic department as a parent of a scholarship (recruited) athlete, that is where I got the hang ups and not transferring to Diaco.

"I wrote that article as I was reading about how my son was a loser, no integrity, a piece of garbage," he said. " I will learn to stay off the football sites."<<

Not exactly a retraction and he missed that the one negative comment was sarcastic.

Not transferring to Diaco? They work off their office phones?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Same thing for the Fan Base no?

I agree. I don't have any idea how the Athletic Dept can grow or even mai tai the fan base with the current football staff.

Uninspiring, unconventional losing product.

Reaction Score
The saulin thread is gone but going on just my memory of the thread his dad comes off as a major drama queen who intentionally misled everyone about the coaching staff.

Few - maybe one person - ripped the kid for changing to temple while several praised him for having the insight to do it considering the crap finish to our crap year
Some also wondered how the hell we have.been passed by temple considering where both programs were just five years ago and the fact temple got the boot at one point from the BE.
But I. Elieve the father blatantly gave the impression the coaching staff wanted nothing to do with the kid once UConns schedule started up.
His misinterpretation of the Diaco lack of response is hysterical.

Reaction Score
I don't have any idea how the Athletic Dept can grow or even mai tai the fan base.

They would help... I'll take mine w/ 151 delivered to my seats.

images

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Of this bunch, I'd take them all just because we need bodies and these kids look decent. After this batch maybe we be more selective, aim higher, not that they aren't trying to aim as high as possible now. I think this bunch has more speed than prior recruiting classes. Not a ton more, but a bit more.

DeGroot could be a real interesting player, going either way - FS or WR.
Stll like Hobbs, Maize and Johnson. Kessler is interesting too, anyone that has speed off the line - real football speed.

Reaction Score
Get your point completely on FCS but peer FBS (MAC, MWC, maybe Sunbelt depending on position) don't count for anything anymore in comparisons?

Some of those schools are absolutely better than us, so yes, they count. But Liberty and Fordham are on this list multiple times. Mercer? Samford? Columbia?

Tennessee Tech is, depending on the year, somewhere between the 6th and 10th best team in Tennessee. Probably their conference too. d

Houston Baptist? They went 3-5 in the Southland.

The sad reality is I'd love to see more offers from schools like WMU, Toledo, Ohio, ECU, UCF, USF, WKU, etc. The majority of the offers, are not at that level, they are far below. The AAC is the toughest G5, and we need to beat out more of those schools, not FCS, Ohio Valley, Ivy League, Patriot League, and Southland Conference schools.

Reaction Score

LOL that sounds like the biggest load of sheet since we had Lagow's father posting here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They would help... I'll take mine w/ 151 delivered to my seats.

images
I believe he meant to post muay thai, as the athletic department has been beating up the fan base pretty good lately.

Reaction Score
Not exactly a retraction and he missed that the one negative comment was sarcastic.

Not transferring to Diaco? They work off their office phones?

"Diaco never rejected my calls....." If you remember the original post from the dad, he said that Diaco would not answer his calls, so yes, I call that a retraction.

The kid lives near Temple and got an offer from Temple after he committed to UConn. Temple has had two good seasons and UConn had a bad season, so it's not a surprise that he flipped. It happens. But, when the dad threw the UConn coaches under the bus for a lack of professionalism, that was totally uncalled for and I have a hard time understanding how people could believe that the football coaches would be that unprofessional.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Diaco never rejected my calls....." If you remember the original post from the dad, he said that Diaco would not answer his calls, so yes, I call that a retraction.

The kid lives near Temple and got an offer from Temple after he committed to UConn. Temple has had two good seasons and UConn had a bad season, so it's not a surprise that he flipped. It happens. But, when the dad threw the UConn coaches under the bus for a lack of professionalism, that was totally uncalled for and I have a hard time understanding how people could believe that the football coaches would be that unprofessional.

They are inept in every way under the sun, why not this way too? I still believe it and the 'retraction' is so soft it's funny.

They can't recruit anyone so why wouldn't I believe they are terrible at it.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
just curious if anyone knows why one cannot be revealed at this time?

A 5th year junior QB who is graduating in May and can transfer for his final year of eligibility without sitting out a year? And hasn't told his current program that he is exploring the option of transferring?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A 5th year junior QB who is graduating in May and can transfer for his final year of eligibility without sitting out a year? And hasn't told his current program that he is exploring the option of transferring?

Do players in that situation even do "official" visits? I dont know how the recruiting process works or doesn't for transfers and 5th year seniors.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I have no inside information on who is visiting on the downlow this weekend because of a prior commitment to anther school.

So lets play who we hope it is using realistic candidates and total conjecture:

i) Kenny Pickett - NJ three star pro style QB committed to Pitt <--the angle? Diaco's NJ connections and a wide open opportunity at UConn for the position day 1.
ii) Samuel Vretman - OL - Do you really want to sign up to get destroyed every weekend for four years at Rutty, particularly in the trenches?
iii) Okalune Fatusaki - LB - Same deal as Vretman...and we do have a family angle to pitch
iv) Cody Lamb - OT - Three star Ohio kid committed to Cincy. With Tuberville out is there an opening? Surely the longest of shots, but this is a bit of a wish list and I am wishing for Oline help.
v) Jason Pinnock - CB - local kid who maybe has lost interest in the mess that is BC. BC's mess maybe smaller than ours, but not by much in the grand scheme.

Huskymedic, I'm sure you have real intel to dispense.

Reaction Score
I have no inside information on who is visiting on the downlow this weekend because of a prior commitment to anther school.

So lets play who we hope it is using realistic candidates and total conjecture:

i) Kenny Pickett - NJ three star pro style QB committed to Pitt <--the angle? Diaco's NJ connections and a wide open opportunity at UConn for the position day 1.
ii) Samuel Vretman - OL - Do you really want to sign up to get destroyed every weekend for four years at Rutty, particularly in the trenches?
iii) Okalune Fatusaki - LB - Same deal as Vretman...and we do have a family angle to pitch
iv) Cody Lamb - OT - Three star Ohio kid committed to Cincy. With Tuberville out is there an opening? Surely the longest of shots, but this is a bit of a wish list and I am wishing for Oline help.
v) Jason Pinnock - CB - local kid who maybe has lost interest in the mess that is BC. BC's mess maybe smaller than ours, but not by much in the grand scheme.

Huskymedic, I'm sure you have real intel to dispense.

Can we take all 5? If we can only have one, it's Pickett.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is Stormy Butler up to?

I suspect bizlaw will get the joke. Over/under about 3.5 on others.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can we take all 5? If we can only have one, it's Pickett.

Well its not likely to be Pinnock. He is playing in the state title game against NC at 230. I just watched his senior highlight reel, could be a player as CB or WR. Long strider with 4.5 speed. Great leaping ability which is repeated displayed in this film.

Come Up - JASON PINNOCK highlights - Hudl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek