Mad Props to Heather. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mad Props to Heather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doty is our highest % 3pt shooter up (45.5%) until last night taking the second most 3s only to KML. Last night was the only night where CD' was a liability and it was specifically because she was in part asked to do a task she simply cannot do speed wise on her leg.

and that is the point you put Banks in to see if she can slow her down, you can always take her back out at need, why Geno is so rigid when it comes to this sort of thing is frankly odd. BB would have been no worse than Doty in this specific situation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
According to the official box score Caroline had no TOs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
and that is the point you put Banks in to see if she can slow her down, you can always take her back out at need, why Geno is so rigid when it comes to this sort of thing is frankly odd. BB would have been no worse than Doty in this specific situation.
I agree, I posted earlier that I would have liked to see Banks tried out in the first half.

Reaction Score
Doty is our highest % 3pt shooter up (45.5%) until last night taking the second most 3s only to KML. Last night was the only night where CD' was a liability and it was specifically because she was in part asked to do a task she simply cannot do speed wise on her leg.

In effect, do you agree that BB should have been given a chance to show her defensive abilities?

Peace,

John Fryer

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In effect, do you agree that BB should have been given a chance to show her defensive abilities?

Peace,

John Fryer
Yes, as I said that in another thread and above to Cafe. I think that I would have risked it in the first half to see how she handled it.

Reaction Score
I thought Auriemma made a huge mistake with Buck last night. She was very active and effective against Griner while Dolson looked as if she were playing wearing lead sneakers. Dolson had 4 rebounds and 3 turnovers in 25 minutes. Buck had 4 rebounds and 0 turnovers in 15 minutes. Griner scored 25 points against Dolson and none against Buck.

Yet Geno sits Buck for most of the second half????

For the sake of accuracy, Ms Griner did convert an and-one on Ms Stokes.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I thought that when Heather hit the deck in the first half that she injured her wrist.[/B] You could see her holding up her arm towards the bench after she fell and then she went out at the next whistle. I wonder if it was bothering her?

My husband and I were calling for Geno to put Heather in with Stef in the second half. Heather does a really great job of clogging up the paint and even though she's a liability on offense, I thought she might open up some opportunities for Stef if they were in together.

I hadn't thought of that. I saw her holding her wrist but she stayed in so I figured it was just a stinger. If she was in fact injured then I'll give GA a pass on Buck but IMO it was still ND redux.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Found one Heather pic from the game, one of her blocking Destiny Williams. She got all ball, no body.

66860836.jpg

Reaction Score
Considering the reasons why BB didn't get into the game...it may be due to not practicing well or at the intensity level the coaches are looking for. CD the senior alluded to this in her post game comments as I recall, not specifically Breanna, but the bench in general.

But keep in mind also that the first semester just ended. Now, I am not trying to speculate on our players academic performance, though admittedly what I am about to say will probably be interpreted as such. Still, I forge ahead....

Geno and the coaches take the "student" aspect of "student athlete" very seriously. In the past we have seen Geno send messages to kids who may not be meeting the expectations in the classroom. Whether or not they are practicing well, if they don't apply themselves in the classroom, they won't see time on the court, and as a result the team as a whole will suffer. It seems like every few years we see this type of situation happen right after finals.

I am not trying to insinuate that Breanna or any of the others on the bench are doing poorly in classes. Just really trying to point out that when you play for UConn, there are certain expectations to be met. A player who fails to meet those expectations - whether in practice habits, academics, personal behaviors outside of either of those - should likewise expect to see reduced, or no, playing time. No matter how big the game may be. Playing time is not guaranteed at UConn.

At this point of the season, before conference play begins in earnest, is the perfect time to teach or reinforce those lessons.

Reaction Score
Vangundy made a great observation. The reaso that Baylor's defense is so good is that they can guard our shooter face to face without
worry about being beat off the dribble because of who is standing back there to sway layup shots away.I think we made more contested shots last night than in any game in the last 2 plus years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Found one Heather pic from the game, one of her blocking Destiny Williams. She got all ball, no body.

66860836.jpg

That had me screaming at the screen this morning. I kept waiting for a replay of it but had to go back myself and do it on TIVO

Reaction Score
On the whole I think UConn has the most likable and most knowledgeable fans. Yours is the only WBB forum I visit regularly other than baylorfans. But I think you're overstating the effectiveness of Buck. Griner seemed to have a little trouble with the transition from playing against Dolson to playing against Buck. Both the turnovers were when Brittney mishandled the ball and I don't think that would have continued. I've watched a lot of Baylor games and it's not at all unusual for Griner to go through stretches where she's not dominant offensively, particularly in first halves. My opinion is, if Buck had played significant minutes in the second half, Brittney would have made a few adjustments and dominated against Buck. As has been stated, you lose a lot of offense without Dolson.

I like Dolson a lot. She'll probably be great in every other game UConn plays this season. She just doesn't match up well with Griner. That's no sin. Who does?
Having read this from a Baylor follower, I wonder if it's simply that Griner prepared--and was prepared--far more for Dolson than for Buck. Had Buck gotten more minutes in the second half, it might have been a different story.

I agree with other posters--not sure this has been addressed in other threads--that Caroline was a little slow in defending from outside the arc; I can count in my memory at least two times she gave up a 3 as a result of not getting to her spot in time.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I thought the play of the game was when Heather reached over Griner's shoulder to slap the ball away. Griner looked like she just couldn't believe it. Heather has a whole new game face this season. Love it!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
At halftime, if someone would have started a "Heather Buck for President!" campaign, I would have been on that badwagon.

us.gif

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Having read this from a Baylor follower, I wonder if it's simply that Griner prepared--and was prepared--far more for Dolson than for Buck. Had Buck gotten more minutes in the second half, it might have been a different story.

I agree with other posters--not sure this has been addressed in other threads--that Caroline was a little slow in defending from outside the arc; I can count in my memory at least two times she gave up a 3 as a result of not getting to her spot in time.
I think grizbear's comment was completely wrong from the defensive point of view. Griner was never effective against Heather during the game. She scored 2, maybe 4 points against her. That is pretty darn solid defense against Griner.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Wel you cannot be too disappointed with this game, Dolson picked up 2 quick fouls that can affect a player and the time you got from Buck should only help in the long run, losing this game on their court could be huge in the long run with lessons learned.

Reaction Score
Couple thoughts:

1. Geno is playing a season long chess match. Yes, some of us may be disappointed with his decisions (no BB, too little HB) for this single game. However, based on our limited level of understandings of his daily observations, overall strategy, etc., for some to question his capability seems like a stretch (after all: HoF coach, multi-NC winner, and US Olympic coach)

2. Hey, HB played very well and, most importantly to me, seemed confident and fully engaged - - this is great progress for her and she was acknowledged by GA and the broadcasters - NICE!

3. BG is a unique and REALLY good WCBB player - no shame in her getting her points/rebounds/blocks or taking some of our kids to school. We learned - the game that really counts this season is in the future.

4. Sims is a player of concern since we will see more like her - - need a strategy going forward. I am confident the coaches are on this one.

5. Pressure of being undefeated is gone - probably a good thing, just like the benefit of being in a close game.

6. Was I disappointed in the loss? Yes. Was I surprised? No Did it give me confidence because we led from before the half, well into the 2nd half, and with only a few minutes to go in the 2nd half? Absolutely!! Am I more confident about our opportunities now than I was before the season (with more of a wait until next year perspective at that point)? Again, absolutely!!

Life is good - we have a really good team and great potential going forward for some exciting and competitive games and a great outcome in March.

Reaction Score
Considering the reasons why BB didn't get into the game...it may be due to not practicing well or at the intensity level the coaches are looking for. CD the senior alluded to this in her post game comments as I recall, not specifically Breanna, but the bench in general.

But keep in mind also that the first semester just ended. Now, I am not trying to speculate on our players academic performance, though admittedly what I am about to say will probably be interpreted as such. Still, I forge ahead....

Geno and the coaches take the "student" aspect of "student athlete" very seriously. In the past we have seen Geno send messages to kids who may not be meeting the expectations in the classroom. Whether or not they are practicing well, if they don't apply themselves in the classroom, they won't see time on the court, and as a result the team as a whole will suffer. It seems like every few years we see this type of situation happen right after finals.

I am not trying to insinuate that Breanna or any of the others on the bench are doing poorly in classes. Just really trying to point out that when you play for UConn, there are certain expectations to be met. A player who fails to meet those expectations - whether in practice habits, academics, personal behaviors outside of either of those - should likewise expect to see reduced, or no, playing time. No matter how big the game may be. Playing time is not guaranteed at UConn.

At this point of the season, before conference play begins in earnest, is the perfect time to teach or reinforce those lessons.

I accept, without any reservations, your suggestions of Coach A's expectations that players are "student-athletes".

However, I assume that it is equally appropriate for those "student-athletes" players to have high expectations of the coach and the coaching staff.

It seems to me, such expectations go beyond practices and individual skill development.

In a word, IMO, players have a right to expect that the coaching staff will develop a winning game plan for each and every game.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen last night and in the FF game with ND.

Is "Learning From Our Mistakes A Myth?"

I just haven't seen that Coach A has learned from the mistakes he has made in high pressure games.

All of these are, of course, just my opinions.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Geno will answer all your questions on WTIC at 630 on Tuesday....

Reaction Score
I accept, without any reservations, your suggestions of Coach A's expectations that players are "student-athletes".

However, I assume that it is equally appropriate for those "student-athletes" players to have high expectations of the coach and the coaching staff.

It seems to me, such expectations go beyond practices and individual skill development.

In a word, IMO, players have a right to expect that the coaching staff will develop a winning game plan for each and every game.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen last night and in the FF game with ND.

Is "Learning From Our Mistakes A Myth?"

I just haven't seen that Coach A has learned from the mistakes he has made in high pressure games.

All of these are, of course, just my opinions.

Peace,

John Fryer

You talk like UConn has a "habit" of losing because they repeat the same errors again and again and again.

Let's revisit recent history, shall we?

Since the start of the 2006 season through last night, UConn is a staggering 190-9. They lost TWO games last year, none in the 2009-10 and 2008-09 seasons, TWO games in 2007-08 season and FOUR in 2006-07.

When you make so few "mistakes", I am not sure they can be classified as mistakes. Seems to me he has far more success in high pressure games than failures. You don't accummulate such a staggering record without doing an awful lot right the vast majority of the time.

Geno has high expectations of his team and himself, certainly. But, even he doesn't realistically expect to win every game. It just doesn't happen. He is human, he will make mistakes, as will we all. I'm not sure why we have to point the finger and place blame for any loss, beyond we got beat by the better team on that particular night.

I believe Geno's mantra is: Pursue Perfection, Achieve Excellence. Not Pursue Perfection, Nothing Else Is Good Enough.

Reaction Score
Are you making a joke?

SD has gotten called for setting moving screens in just about every game.

Peace,

John Fryer

And how many screens do you think she sets a game? Conservatively at least 50, I'd say (depending on the opponent's defense and the game plan). So if she's constantly near that line of moving just enough to get away with it, she will likely get called for it once in a while (like the offensive lineman who knows how much holding he can get away with, but once in a while goes a little too far, or the ref decides to throw a flag to reach his quota). I actually also thought the one moving screen she did get called for yesterday (an on the ball screen) was mostly the fault of the dribbler, who didn't wait for the screen to get there. But the times when she teeters on that line of a moving screen, and gets away with it, enables people to get open and our offense to run more efficiently.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Count me among those who would like to have seen our 2 trees in together, with Stef threatening to shoot just beyond the foul line and Heather roaming in and out of the paint. While I too would have enjoyed giving BB a shot at Sims, I have to wonder, "Why Doty"? Why wasn't Kelly or Tiff more assigned to Sims?
I'm looking at this game as experimental, with Geno et al. learning lessons to prepare for the finals.

I fantasize Piph Prince getting ahold of Griner to persuade her of the joys of leaving early for Euroball.

Reaction Score
You talk like UConn has a "habit" of losing because they repeat the same errors again and again and again.

Let's revisit recent history, shall we?

Since the start of the 2006 season through last night, UConn is a staggering 190-9. They lost TWO games last year, none in the 2009-10 and 2008-09 seasons, TWO games in 2007-08 season and FOUR in 2006-07.

When you make so few "mistakes", I am not sure they can be classified as mistakes. Seems to me he has far more success in high pressure games than failures. You don't accummulate such a staggering record without doing an awful lot right the vast majority of the time.

Geno has high expectations of his team and himself, certainly. But, even he doesn't realistically expect to win every game. It just doesn't happen. He is human, he will make mistakes, as will we all. I'm not sure why we have to point the finger and place blame for any loss, beyond we got beat by the better team on that particular night.

I believe Geno's mantra is: Pursue Perfection, Achieve Excellence. Not Pursue Perfection, Nothing Else Is Good Enough.

If you address the actual statements made vs trying to paint the "Geno may not be questioned ever picture one can easily see a very exceptional coach and person who has been known on very few occasions to make similar mistakes / bad decisions two of which were mentioned by John Fryer, Geno like it or not does get very rigid in his decisions during high stress games and because of that rigidity he does make decisions that are not in the best interest of winning a particular game or games.

This is a sports MB these sort of discussions are completely appropriate in this environment.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
If you address the actual statements made vs trying to paint the "Geno may not be questioned ever picture one can easily see a very exceptional coach and person who has been known on very few occasions to make similar mistakes / bad decisions two of which were mentioned by John Fryer, Geno like it or not does get very rigid in his decisions during high stress games and because of that rigidity he does make decisions that are not in the best interest of winning a particular game or games.

This is a sports MB these sort of discussions are completely appropriate in this environment.

This is where I start having a problem with many of the critics. You make this statement like it's a fact. It is not a fact it is your speculation that 1) Geno is being "rigid" because he made a decision you disagree with and 2) the result of the decision you disagree with would have been better.

Neither of those conclusion are fact. I think if the critics would frame their dicussion as their opinion rather than fact, they would have a better chance of engaging MB discussion. Coming off as stating your argument as irrefutable and "fact" never invited discussion, it invites argument and entrenchment to positions.

And that is just my opinion, others may differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom