Mack to VCU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mack to VCU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I am him why not VCU. The only kid that is guaranteed not back on next years team is Boatright (his replacement is already signed sealed and delivered in Jalen Adams). The Mack kid plays the 2/3. Well there is Dan Hamilton there, a senior Omar Calhoun there and Rodney Purvis there. I am not sure it would be wise on his part to speculate that either Hamilton or Purv jumps to the NBA after their one year in Storrs. So that leaves a pretty crowded rotation with little obvious playing time available for Mack.

We fretted over the loss of Terry Larrier...and like him it is not a big deal. This is not a program killer, not even close. Do you still try and recruit quality talent? Yes, but when talent looks at roster and does not see an obvious need why not look elsewhere.

2016-2017 will be far more important when it comes to recuiting IMHO.

Reaction Score
UConn990411 said:
I understand that every recruiting situation is different. And I'm really not worried about UConn's future over losing a top ~70 player. But it's still a little mystifying to me that they're losing these types of players to the VCUs, Tennessees and (potentially) UNLVs of the world. Again, I'm not worried; just confused.

As of now, we look like we have Hamilton and Calhoun at the 3 for the next two years. We were recruiting wings to be an insurance policy and/or someone to groom as a freshman. It's a difficult sell, practice facility/NC or not.

We probably would have had a better shot if Hamilton had the flu during exhibition season.

Reaction Score
It was all about playing time and thats it. If he knew he could play 25 to 35 minutes a game at UConn he chooses UConn. But UConn is stocked up for the next two years at guard/sf position.

If we go 0-3 today its not a big deal at all. If we lose Stone then I'd a be a little worried but even thats not the end of the a huge concern for me. Since next year we have all the big men coming back with Enoch.

Reaction Score
Probably not a good time to pass on that I have heard alot of pro Wisconsin buzz for stone..

Reaction Score
I understand that every recruiting situation is different. And I'm really not worried about UConn's future over losing a top ~70 player.

But it's still a little mystifying to me that they're losing these types of players to the VCUs, Tennessees and (potentially) UNLVs of the world.

Again, I'm not worried; just confused.
All you have to do is look at all the players at his position who are in front of him and already at UConn. This includes a freshman star in the making in DHam...right before ALL of our eyes. If you're one of these recruits...who feels they should be starting right away...do you choose UConn??

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Probably not a good time to pass on that I have heard alot of pro Wisconsin buzz for stone..
I hate you said in my best jaybo voice.

Reaction Score
When he left the stage to change shirts I knew we were out. But he said "university of" so I thought USC got him lol

Forgot about the university of Virginia commonwealth university

Reaction Score
If I am him why not VCU. The only kid that is guaranteed not back on next years team is Boatright (his replacement is already signed sealed and delivered in Jalen Adams). The Mack kid plays the 2/3. Well there is Dan Hamilton there, a senior Omar Calhoun there and Rodney Purvis there. I am not sure it would be wise on his part to speculate that either Hamilton or Purv jumps to the NBA after their one year in Storrs. So that leaves a pretty crowded rotation with little obvious playing time available for Mack.

We fretted over the loss of Terry Larrier...and like him it is not a big deal. This is not a program killer, not even close. Do you still try and recruit quality talent? Yes, but when talent looks at roster and does not see an obvious need why not look elsewhere.

2016-2017 will be far more important when it comes to recuiting IMHO.

I get that UConn is stacked. But VCU has Kenny Williams and Terry Larrier at the 2/3. And those kids will be there at the same time.

I'm not buying this idea that Mack was worried about playing time. He has more to worry about, for the moment, at VCU than at UConn.

Reaction Score
All you have to do is look at all the players at his position who are in front of him and already at UConn. This includes a freshman star in the making in DHam...right before ALL of our eyes. If you're one of these recruits...who feels they should be starting right away...do you choose UConn??

Look at VCU tho. Higher ranked kids ahead of him.

Reaction Score
I get that UConn is stacked. But VCU has Kenny Williams and Terry Larrier at the 2/3. And those kids will be there at the same time.

I'm not buying this idea that Mack was worried about playing time. He has more to worry about, for the moment, at VCU than at UConn.
No, he doesn't. But I guess you can keep ignoring the players we have on the roster that play his position and pretend he does.

Reaction Score
Yes, the UConn stuff was only a set-up. UConn's name was being used to brandish the decision. No tug-of-war at all.

Next year, UConn has VJ King and Mario Kegler coming up at the same position, and they will be selling the fact that Hamilton and Purvis are not going to be around in 2017, or at the most, they'll have one season left.

I can't tell if the "set-up" part is sarcasm. You tend to lose touch with rational thought when it comes to recruiting so I suspect it's not. I don't know what you mean by King and Kegler are "coming up" at the same position. Neither one of those kids are even close to committing to UConn and it's going to be Arizona and Duke that they have to beat to land them, not a mid-major in Richmond.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
I get that UConn is stacked. But VCU has Kenny Williams and Terry Larrier at the 2/3. And those kids will be there at the same time. I'm not buying this idea that Mack was worried about playing time. He has more to worry about, for the moment, at VCU than at UConn.

Larrier is going to play a lot of 4 at VCU, so they can do their pressing/spread offense system with a small lineup. More so than Hamilton.

With Cassell looking like a contributor, we are 2 deep at the 2 (Purvis/Cassell) and 3 (Hamilton/Calhoun) right now for two more years, barring an unexpected departure. Much greater chance Mack rides the pine his freshman year here. Sure, there's a chance he could have beat out Cassell or Calhoun for a reserve role, but those guys will be 22 next year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Let's also not ignore that Shaka is a very solid recruiter. Look at their 2014 class, 3-4 top 100 kids going to an A10 school is no small feat. I'm preparing to get flamed for saying something complementary about the coach of a program whose fanbase we don't like, but it's not as if Shaka doesn't know what he's doing.

Reaction Score
I can't tell if the "set-up" part is sarcasm. You tend to lose touch with rational thought when it comes to recruiting so I suspect it's not. I don't know what you mean by King and Kegler are "coming up" at the same position. Neither one of those kids are even close to committing to UConn and it's going to be Arizona and Duke that they have to beat to land them, not a mid-major in Richmond.

You were suckered into believing UConn was actually the second choice and that the kid was grappling with the decision. The Dreher coach this morning tweeted that Tevin was still undecided as of 9:30 am but that he would be announcing at 12. If you believe that, you'll buy anything.

I think people realize what I obviously meant by King and Kegler, which is that 2 kids with a lot more talent, kids who recently visited Uconn on First Night, will see that the road is absolutely clear for playing time at UConn.

Reaction Score
Look at VCU tho. Higher ranked kids ahead of him.
My guess is that SS plans on playing two of the three at the same time and maybe even all three at times. I would guess that this was clearly expressed to Mack as well. At UConn, the chances of KO bumping one of our guards in order to do the same thing...at almost non-existent.

Reaction Score
So just ignore Williams and Larrier.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/vcu
Im not ignoring them at all. One of them will have been in the VCU program for 1 year, and the other will be coming into the program with Mack. I would guess VCU probably has a couple of other players on the roster that play the 2/3 in addition to those two.

It's still not even close to the logjam of vetern players we have at those positions.

Reaction Score
My guess is that SS plans on playing two of the three at the same time and maybe even all three at times. I would guess that this was clearly expressed to Mack as well. At UConn, the chances of KO bumping one of our guards in order to do the same thing...at almost non-existent.

I'm looking down the road. For me it's almost axiomatic that unless you're a blue-chip stud, you're not getting many minutes as a frosh at UConn. Daniels didn't even.

When you look at VCU, they have Sophs, Juniors and Seniors BESIDES Larrier, Williams and Mack at the 2/3. Acknowledging what you wrote, that they will start these kids all at the 2/3, it won't happen until Mack is a Soph. Compare to UConn then. Calhoun gone, Hamilton a junior and Purvis a senior. I think the schools are similarly stacked.

Reaction Score
Im not ignoring them at all. One of them will have been in the VCU program for 1 year, and the other will be coming into the program with Mack. I would guess VCU probably has a couple of other players on the roster that play the 2/3 in addition to those two.

It's still not even close to the logjam of vetern players we have at those positions.

It is close. Look again. As for Williams, he is considered by many to be a better player already. Again, the status of Hamilton is going to be up in the air after his soph year, and Calhoun won't even be here.

Reaction Score
I'm looking down the road. For me it's almost axiomatic that unless you're a blue-chip stud, you're not getting many minutes as a frosh at UConn. Daniels didn't even.

When you look at VCU, they have Sophs, Juniors and Seniors BESIDES Larrier, Williams and Mack at the 2/3. Acknowledging what you wrote, that they will start these kids all at the 2/3, it won't happen until Mack is a Soph. Compare to UConn then. Calhoun gone, Hamilton a junior and Purvis a senior. I think the schools are similarly stacked.

A lot of freshmen have gotten minutes at UConn. Daniels didn't get many, but Boatright was playing a lot whenever he wasn't suspended. The 2011 title team gave a ton of minutes to freshmen. Brimah got loads of minutes last year. Daniels looks like the exception, rather than the rule.

Reaction Score
A lot of freshmen have gotten minutes at UConn. Daniels didn't get many, but Boatright was playing a lot whenever he wasn't suspended. The 2011 title team gave a ton of minutes to freshmen. Brimah got loads of minutes last year. Daniels looks like the exception, rather than the rule.

I'm talking about big minutes. I don't think Brimah got the minutes you think he did. A kid getting 10-12 minutes is about right. In fact, that's what Daniels got.

Boatright is understandable. Remember the Brendan Allen experiment? That's who played a lot of minutes when Boatright was suspended.

Reaction Score
I certainly hope that uvcu isnt recruiting Kegler or these other guys because our staff has shown that it simply cannot beat them on the recruiting trail. Uvcu is clearly a destination blueblood program otherwise how could we keep losing out to them?

This hurts because we all know that we aren't getting jones or Briscoe.

Its Stone or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69