Lynx up 10 at Phoenix in Q4. | The Boneyard

Lynx up 10 at Phoenix in Q4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Very impressive, how Minny controls the game. Let's see if Diana and her team mates can pull this out.

Reaction Score
That's gotta be Maya's best pro game so far. 21 points 7-10, 6-8 from 3, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and even better, zero turnovers.

Reaction Score
The Lynx were just too much for the Mercury, especially with Taylor not playing all that well. Whalen and Augustus were on. Taj M-F was playing lights out. Big ups to Maya in this game too. It wasn't just her points (she had 21). It was her rebounding, passing, composure, and all-out effort. She played great.

I believe this is the first Finals appearance for the Lynx in their history. Good for them.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Announcers said this is the first year Augustus has been in the playoffs. She's finally healthy and wow she is a great player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's gotta be Maya's best pro game so far. 21 points 7-10, 6-8 from 3, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and even better, zero turnovers.
it's right up there for sure. add to it that she accomplished that in a hostile arena during the playoffs. THIS is the Maya i think most of us expected all year long. not necessarily a double double every game, but scoring a variety of ways and filling up the stat sheet... great job Maya!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

It might be her best game--her smartest game--even if it was not her most outwardly 'assertive' game this year. There have been a few games where she was going full tilt and got good results to match. Today, she was playing more within herself and taking the opportunities that presented themselves, often making the Merc pay from 3 when the extra pass or loose ball came her way. The 'playing within herself' was also obvious with the 0 turnovers as you point out. :D And she was in there fighting for rebounds (I get sick to my stomach when they have her strictly on the perimeter, such a waste). Fighting through screens, making the D chase her around, but not trying to do *too* much.

Great overall game by Maya, Whalen hit key (and tough) jumpers at key moments, Seimone was able to defend Diana well enough, and the Minny subs made significant contributions (Adair was great, and Wiggins was not too bad). And how about the Ageless One (Taj) ! 21 points -- she gave a clinic on slow-mo post moves. She shows just how important it is to be able to have a number of moves to choose from, to make these moves either way, left or right, and finally to use either hand equally well when you're in finishing around the basket. She flat-out embarrassed the younger and taller Merc forwards a number of times......If you can do all of the above, you don't have to be fast. You do still have to elevate a little, especially on those step-throughs, and Taj still has that.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I also think that the team has jelled, and that Maya can give more because the team as a whole has found more ways to make sure she is involved. This was the game I've been waiting for. Hard to root against D, but there you have it!

Reaction Score
It might be her best game--her smartest game--even if it was not her most outwardly 'assertive' game this year. There have been a few games where she was going full tilt and got good results to match. Today, she was playing more within herself and taking the opportunities that presented themselves, often making the Merc pay from 3 when the extra pass or loose ball came her way. The 'playing within herself' was also obvious with the 0 turnovers as you point out. :D And she was in there fighting for rebounds (I get sick to my stomach when they have her strictly on the perimeter, such a waste). Fighting through screens, making the D chase her around, but not trying to do *too* much.

Great overall game by Maya, Whalen hit key (and tough) jumpers at key moments, Seimone was able to defend Diana well enough, and the Minny subs made significant contributions (Adair was great, and Wiggins was not too bad). And how about the Ageless One (Taj) ! 21 points -- she gave a clinic on slow-mo post moves. She shows just how important it is to be able to have a number of moves to choose from, to make these moves either way, left or right, and finally to use either hand equally well when you're in finishing around the basket. She flat-out embarrassed the younger and taller Merc forwards a number of times......If you can do all of the above, you don't have to be fast. You do still have to elevate a little, especially on those step-throughs, and Taj still has that.

Maya was on Taylor for much of the game. Gotta give her some props for defense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya came up a little short in her quest for a trifecta in April. She may be even hungrier than normal for a championship. She is all about winning.

Congrats to the Lynx!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And how about the Ageless One (Taj) ! 21 points -- she gave a clinic on slow-mo post moves. She shows just how important it is to be able to have a number of moves to choose from, to make these moves either way, left or right, and finally to use either hand equally well when you're in finishing around the basket. She flat-out embarrassed the younger and taller Merc forwards a number of times......If you can do all of the above, you don't have to be fast. You do still have to elevate a little, especially on those step-throughs, and Taj still has that.

Bonner was definately the student...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At 6'4" and only 137 Bonner definitely was unable to contend with Taj's strength and skill in the little bit I saw.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
At 6'4" and only 137 Bonner definitely was unable to contend with Taj's strength and skill in the little bit I saw.
lol so you did watch... :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
lol so you did watch... :)
Yes, I was at someone's house and they had it on. I have a number of older parishioners who enjoy women's basketball although I have had 4 passaway in the last couple of years.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
there's NO WAY you (not you) can be a die-hard UConn fan and not watch WNBA these days IMO (when its basically the only basketball on TV during the summer).

Maya is 2 months removed from UConn and you're (not you) done watching her...thats self punishment

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
there's NO WAY you (not you) can be a die-hard UConn fan and not watch WNBA these days IMO (when its basically the only basketball on TV during the summer).

Maya is 2 months removed from UConn and you're (not you) done watching her...thats self punishment
Sorry, I just don't enjoy the game they play. It is what it is. What I did see was near the end of the first half.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The Lynx were just too much for the Mercury, especially with Taylor not playing all that well. Whalen and Augustus were on. Taj M-F was playing lights out. Big ups to Maya in this game too. It wasn't just her points (she had 21). It was her rebounding, passing, composure, and all-out effort. She played great.

I believe this is the first Finals appearance for the Lynx in their history. Good for them.

This is what I thought the Lynx were capable of last year until all of the injuries. I am very happy for them, they do play a balanced and watchable game.

Everytime I watch Phoenix play, the phrase "defence creates offense" goes through my mind like a news ticker. It is hard to watch Phoenix play, even with Dee.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sorry, I just don't enjoy the game they play. It is what it is. What I did see was near the end of the first half.

If the Lynx and the East winner go to a game 5 in the Finals, would you watch then...? I almost never watch hockey, but in those years when the Stanley Cup finals go to a game 7, I always make a point to tune in, just because the excitement of a finals game 7 overrides my usual disinterest in the game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If the Lynx and the East winner go to a game 5 in the Finals, would you watch then...? I almost never watch hockey, but in those years when the Stanley Cup finals go to a game 7, I always make a point to tune in, just because the excitement of a finals game 7 overrides my usual disinterest in the game.
If it was convenient to do so I might but it is unlikely I would make any special effort to do so.

Reaction Score

I agree with you and DC on this one because I've been in both positions. Up until this year I never watched the WNBA games because the style of play is so different from what UCONN fan have become accustomed to. Geno himself said the other night that the game used to be about cutting and teamwork and now it's more people beating the crap out of each other, or something to that extent. With that being said, Maya has been the difference for me this year. She was the first recruit that I really followed in high school and watching her thrive in the W has been awesome. All in all the W is a great distraction, but I can't wait to get back to the beautiful basketball we love to see from our Huskies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I agree with you and DC on this one because I've been in both positions. Up until this year I never watched the WNBA games because the style of play is so different from what UCONN fan have become accustomed to. Geno himself said the other night that the game used to be about cutting and teamwork and now it's more people beating the crap out of each other, or something to that extent. With that being said, Maya has been the difference for me this year. She was the first recruit that I really followed in high school and watching her thrive in the W has been awesome. All in all the W is a great distraction, but I can't wait to get back to the beautiful basketball we love to see from our Huskies.

I believe the term he used was "mug and thug" :cool: lol

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe the term he used was "mug and thug" :cool: lol
Terms some of us, myself included, have used to describe the play of a fellow Big East team to the chagrin of others. What Geno noted is exactly my objection to the direction of the WNBA play.

Of course, I have never objected to others enjoying it and watching it, it just isn't for me.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
come on... we were getting away from that, no need to go down that road AGAIN

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
come on... we were getting away from that, no need to go down that road AGAIN
Blame Geno. It is simply about a style of play nothing more. It is an accurate description of the game play tactics. Be physical to the point of intimidating the opponent. It is not about personalities or backgroumd.

Reaction Score
This is the first year I've watched the WNBA and it's really only because Maya us playing. I have little interest in other teams besides the Lynx although I do like Tamika Catchings as well. I became aware of Maya just before she came to UCONN and have been a fan ever since. It isn't just the way she plays the game; it's also how she carries herself as a young woman. There must be a reason her WNBA jersey is the #1 selling jersey, if it still is. It's called "role model". She seems to sincerely enjoy playing the game, and she seems to have a good heart. I enjoy people who have a certain spirit that sets them apart from the rest. Aside from that, I give her a lot of credit for being one of the top scorers on a team in which she is not the primary scoring option, with players who seem to have a "shoot first" mentality that, albeit, works well for them and the team. By the way, I noticed she seems to have more touches when Wiggins is on the floor....just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom