Lunardi Has Spoken | The Boneyard

Lunardi Has Spoken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Game vs Cincy essentially an elimination game. Time to see what this team is made of.

You know, I wasn't sure it would be for both teams. I thought Cincy might be okay. But the loss to Memphis hurts, and crapped the bed against Butler and Iowa State by a combined 4 points. They had to have one of those.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So independent of everything that may happen in the conference tournaments, Lunardi, (and ESPN all freaking day), declares that the loser of this game is out of the tournament.

It doesn't matter who beats who elsewhere or what the other bubble teams do, this one game is an eliminator.

ESPN is gonna do ESPN things, I guess.

However given the aggressive posture of the committee towards the American thus far, the winner is probably out on general principle as well.

Reaction Score
So independent of everything that may happen in the conference tournaments, Lunardi, (and ESPN all freaking day), declares that the loser of this game is out of the tournament.

It doesn't matter who beats who elsewhere or what the other bubble teams do, this one game is an eliminator.

Driving up ratings.

Obviously both teams are in precarious positions. Our two best wins (SMU, @Texas) are better than theirs (SMU, VCU), but most of the metrics look the same. He may be right, but that'll only be in hindsight.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

However given the aggressive posture of the committee towards the American thus far, the winner is probably out on general principle as well.
I can't imagine Cinci or UConn's resume is all that impressive in the eyes of the committee with a first round exit in the AAC tournament. They will likely award the P5 bubble schools- the Pitts and Syracuses of the world.
Either way, no one knows what the hell is going to happen bubble-wise until 6 o'clock on Sunday.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Cinci or UConn's resume is all that impressive in the eyes of the committee with a first round exit in the AAC tournament. They will likely award the P5 bubble schools- the Pitts and Syracuses of the world.
Either way, no one knows what the hell is going to happen bubble-wise until 6 o'clock on Sunday.

I agree. IMO - we need to make it to the final to get in. Don't think we need to win it, but I do think we need to get there. Honestly, if we get there, we should win anyway - but we all know how the season has gone.

Reaction Score
Obviously both teams are in precarious positions. Our two best wins (SMU, @Texas) are better than theirs (SMU, VCU), but most of the metrics look the same. He may be right, but that'll only be in hindsight.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if he's aware we're 0 and 2 against cincy this year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I generally don't agree with Lunardi when he declares a game a "must win", but in this case, I do. UConn will have an RPI around 60 if it loses that game. That is not good enough for an at-large bid.

Cincinnati has a shot at losing and making a play-in game, although the odds are not good.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The BY is weird. I made the same comment about needing to win 2 games to get to the tourney on another thread, and it was laughed off, and here most seem to agree.

Reaction Score
The BY is weird. I made the same comment about needing to win 2 games to get to the tourney on another thread, and it was laughed off, and here most seem to agree.
Obviously there are other factors at play but my best guess is that one win would get them in, but it would probably be the play in game (not ideal). I'm thinking that two wins would get them into a 7-10 matchup.

Reaction Score
Obviously there are other factors at play but my best guess is that one win would get them in, but it would probably be the play in game (not ideal). I'm thinking that two wins would get them into a 7-10 matchup.
If we find ourselves in a 7-10 game in Providence we may make it out of the first weekend.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we find ourselves in a 7-10 game in Providence we may make it out of the first weekend.
The whole goal is to get in AND avoid a first four game.

Reaction Score
Ok. I'll play along. Youre completely wrong. Beat Cincy and UConn is in. There you go

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If you lose to Mick Cronin three times in a single season you don't deserve to go to the tournament.
It's embarrassing to lose to any team 3 teams in a single season.
But why are you singling out Cronin? The man is a good coach, and has done a nice job with Cinci in the last 10 or so years. Plus he seems like a respectable guy. Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
Agree. Ideal situation would be to be in Providence as a ten with Xavier waiting as the 2 seed. Think we match up well with them.

Reaction Score
It is unacceptable to be having this conversation on the heels of a season where we were one and done in the NIT.

Reaction Score
Well it's not hindsight if he called it 5 days in advance
That it was an elimination game? So, yes. This is right.

My point is more that this is a wild guess and that it depends on what happens elsewhere more than anything else--the loser could still make it with a relatively static Championship Wee.

Reaction Score
Cincy will get in with a loss as long as there are not many conference surprise champions. Uconn will not get in unless they beat Cincy!!!! Cincy pR 40. Uconn 58 as of this moring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom