Lunardi Has Spoken | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lunardi Has Spoken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
You could have the top four teams in the conference standings out (SMU, obviously, plus Temple, Houston and Tulsa) with Nos. five and six getting in. Conference play isn't everything, but that would be a pretty odd outcome.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
You could have the top four teams in the conference standings out (SMU, obviously, plus Temple, Houston and Tulsa) with Nos. five and six getting in. Conference play isn't everything, but that would be a pretty odd outcome.
That's when you know you're in a lousy conference. Credit UConn for playing a tough out of conference schedule.

Reaction Score
You're seeing the full PR blitz today from commish, coaches, to talk about how strong the conference is. I think we get a little more respect this year, and get one extra team in.

C

Chief00

At some point you just need to start winning - nothing else matters - we have no more cushion to wait until we start winning - the time is now!

Reaction Score
My thoroughly unscientific take is that the committee devalues the league. So it devalues league wins. That will hurt Temple.
  • Cinci has one good non-conference win against VCU. The losses to Iowa State and Butler were close.
  • UConn has wins over Texas, Ohio State, Georgetown and Michigan. Losses to Syracuse, Gonzaga and Maryland were all close.
  • Tulsa has a win over Wichita State. Out of conference SOS is awful.
  • Temple played a strong Out of conference schedule and lost to all of them in the RPI top 100. Best wins are what, Penn and Minnesota?
It is really unfortunate that UConn is playing Cincinnati. As those are likely the two teams that belong.

The really crazy thing is that if Uconn beats Cincy, it can conceivably give Cincy two more top 50 wins if Uconn ends up in the top 50 which they are on the cusp of now. I don't have the exact formula, but top 50 wins are important in the ratings and given the fact that it's on a neutral court they could actually benefit from it. That's some weird stuff.

Reaction Score
Guys, the reality is this. If we can't take 1 of 3 from Cinci, we don't belong in the dance. This is a good test for the guys, and if they fail, they get the result they deserve. It is what it is.
Sadly, this is the cold, hard truth. Had a chance to take all the speculation away by beating Temple twice and Cincy once with late leads. If they don't make the tourney there should be ZERO whining over who got in ahead of us. As you say, in that scenario, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
At some point you just need to start winning - nothing else matters - we have no more cushion to wait until we start winning - the time is now!

Huzzaaah!!

Reaction Score
I think if the winner of our next game goes on to win the auto-bid than the loser has an somewhat increased chance of a bid.
Houston ,Tulsa,or Temple get the bid than its pretty much over for the loser.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think if the winner of our next game goes on to win the auto-bid than the loser has an somewhat increased chance of a bid.
Houston ,Tulsa,or Temple get the bid than its pretty much over for the loser.

That's true. Right now UConn and UC are the strongest, sadly one will be out after round one.

Reaction Score
Just for the sake of craziness, suppose this is how it goes: Cincy/UConn beats Temple. Houston beats Tulsa/Memphis. Cincy/UConn beats Houston.

Here we have Temple beating a dreg and losing its 2nd game. We have Houston getting to the final.

My question, does this mean that the AAC only gets one team in?

Or, does the AAC still get 2 teams in?

And, if 2 teams, which is the second? Houston, Tulsa or Temple?

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Reaction Score
Just for the sake of craziness, suppose this is how it goes: Cincy/UConn beats Temple. Houston beats Tulsa/Memphis. Cincy/UConn beats Houston.

Here we have Temple beating a dreg and losing its 2nd game. We have Houston getting to the final.

My question, does this mean that the AAC only gets one team in?

Or, does the AAC still get 2 teams in?

And, if 2 teams, which is the second? Houston, Tulsa or Temple?

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Oddly enough I think it would be UConn and Cincy. When Cincy knocked off SMU, I thought that was the win that would get them squarely off the bubble. Based on BPI/KenPom, I think Cincy gets in even with a loss in the first round.

Reaction Score
Oddly enough I think it would be UConn and Cincy. When Cincy knocked off SMU, I thought that was the win that would get them squarely off the bubble. Based on BPI/KenPom, I think Cincy gets in even with a loss in the first round.

Yes, this is what I was asking.

If Tulsa and Temple don't advanced past the second round, and one of UConn/Cincy win, does that mean the AAC is reduced to 1 team?

Reaction Score
Yes, this is what I was asking.

If Tulsa and Temple don't advanced past the second round, and one of UConn/Cincy win, does that mean the AAC is reduced to 1 team?

Here is how I see the NCAA bids shaking out for the AAC:

In: Cincinnati (Even with a 1st round exit vs UConn)

Bubble:
1. Temple - must advance to AAC final
2. Tulsa - must advance to AAC final
3. UConn - beat Cincy
4. Houston - must win ACC tournament

Best case scenario for league: UConn wins the conference tournament beating Cincy, Temple and Tulsa. Cincinnati and Tulsa secure at large bids and UConn with the autobid

Worse case scenario for league: Either Temple or Tulsa lose their first game, which automatically knocks them out of the tournament. Cincy defeats UConn, which knocks us out of the tournament. Cincy ends up playing Houston in the AAC final, which Cincy wins. League only gets one bid.

Reaction Score
anyone paid by the university that can talk to media should be pounding table that UConn is a tourney team regardless of result on Friday. bring attention to the Brimah injury and say they would have beaten Temple and Cincy at home (losses by a combined 3 points) and probably fare better against Tulsa on the road. talk about how 1 altered shot in each of those games by brimah could change outcome. that uconn team would be in top 25 right now let alone in the tourney and there's no worry. they are doing it with fred vanvleet, why not with brimah (a national championship winning center)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Looking at Palm and Lunardi this morning....they have some stark differences, namely that Lunardi has Witchia State in as a 7, while Palm has them out completely. That's a huge difference.

You can make so many arguments for and against a lot of these teams. Very hard to differentiate between them all. More so than I can remember.

I am surprised that Temple is not one of the last 4 in at this point. Yes they went 14-4 in the league. But remember they didn't play at SMU, lost to Memphis and East Carolina, and have no, I repeat no quality wins out of the league.

They also lost by almost 30 points at home to Houston, a team generally regarded as having to win the AAC tournament to get in the NCAAs. In fairness, they did later beat Houston on the road, but only by a handful of points.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
anyone paid by the university that can talk to media should be pounding table that UConn is a tourney team regardless of result on Friday. bring attention to the Brimah injury and say they would have beaten Temple and Cincy at home (losses by a combined 3 points) and probably fare better against Tulsa on the road. talk about how 1 altered shot in each of those games by brimah could change outcome. that uconn team would be in top 25 right now let alone in the tourney and there's no worry. they are doing it with fred vanvleet, why not with brimah (a national championship winning center)

It is startling how little UConn has pushed the Brimah injury. It's a huge factor in a few one-possession losses. Its like the people in influential positions at UConn don't understand how to politik- not the refs, not the committee...

Reaction Score
Anyone paid by UConn can/should do it but we had so many opportunities with & without Brimah for 1 more quality win and just kept blowing it.... 2-6 vs. Cincy/Temple/Tulsa/Houston is pretty pathetic...just beat Cincy, lose and only have selves to blame if left out.

Reaction Score
The BY is weird. I made the same comment about needing to win 2 games to get to the tourney on another thread, and it was laughed off, and here most seem to agree.

I agreed with you in the other thread, don't worry buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom