Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think someone else already posted this video but he has a bunch of dunks in this one.

I can't remember a big that we've brought to Uconn in recent memory that could finish with both hands like he does in this video. The one common descriptive word that we've used for all of the big men we've brought on has been "Raw." There's been a lot of banter about our lack of ability to develop bigs (and I'd agree with that), but it appears that we've got a much better starting point with this kid. Hopefully that helps. Regardless of the level of competition in the video, he can take three confident dribbles, finish with both hands and play around with an up-and-under. If he's really 6'10' 250 and can do this we caught him well under the radar.

The video doesn't show him playing defense, but he moves very well without the ball on the screens and that is usually an indication that he understands the game well enough to get his feet in the right spot on D.

C

Chief00

So, is the Blaze strategy to:
  • Prioritize positions needed.
  • Recruit players to fill positions.
  • Keep calling, visiting and watching their games.
  • Close.
Because that seems totally logical to me.
Leaving right now to go out to celebrate but I will respond tomorrow or incoherently tonight (just kidding)!

C

Chief00

Depends what you mean by "elite" (1 and dones or future NBA draftees or just very good college players....?) but I don't even think you need that many. 2 surrounded by solid talent that each does 1 or 2 things well is enough. 1998-1999 team was a great example of that.

I was going to say 2 but thought of the Big 3 00, 32 & 33 and figured no one could argue against that!
That was unusual - normally I like a PG, a power center/or forward and a scoring wing. Bird was a point forward who passed better than most PGs - so that broke the mold.

Reaction Score
I like Kisunas. He is fundamentally sound which is to be expected from Lithuanian players and has a good build who knows how to use his body. He looks like he can be a Psycho T(Tyler Hansborough) for us which is a good thing. Let's hope he is more like Tyler Hansborough and less like Tyler Olander.

We need Jalen Carey to commit to feel really good about this class along with some real tuna in the 2019 class.

C

Chief00

I like Kisunas. He is fundamentally sound which is to be expected from Lithuanian players and has a good build who knows how to use his body. He looks like he can be a Psycho T(Tyler Hansborough) for us which is a good thing. Let's hope he is more like Tyler Hansborough and less like Tyler Olander.

We need Jalen Carey to commit to feel really good about this class along with some real tuna in the 2019 class.

I normally hear you about Carey but the landscape is changing and unpredictable due to the scandal - let’s see who the options are?

C

Chief00

Not a huge fan of this vague stuff. Is there a reason for all this posturing? Why not just say? Glad step one is complete.
I talked about Blaze within a day or two - the stuff that’s happened since is far from vague stuff - we are getting commitments and a guy is actually practicing with the team every day.

Reaction Score
Personally, I can't wait to see Carlton and Kisunas on the floor at the same time in a couple of years. With their passing ability as big men and the fact that theyll be even bigger with some of Carlos' training makes me think there's a lot of potential here. We may lose out on some exciting blocks with guys like this but imagine coming into the lane with two bruisers that are 230 plus standing guard....guys are gonna think twice

Reaction Score
I think Jake Voskuhl is a good comparison. Center is the weakest position competition-wise, so it's not out of the question he could start right away. Eric Cobb is his main competition.

I am okay with this pick up. He is a winner and is way more advance now then all of our big man except Cobb. The issue is that his upside is so so and he is not too much different from Carlton or Cobb. We might see a transfer next yr. Anyway, from the one game that I saw him. He is a big body who sets devastating screens n controls the boards. He is not a shot blocker n we need that. I have a funny feeling about Mathis also with this committ. He might be here if Rutgers has a bad yr

I think people are seriously forgetting about and sleeping on this potential beast...

pj

Reaction Score
I think people are seriously forgetting about and sleeping on this potential beast...

Can't wait to see if Mamadou can play center for us. He's certainly going to be hard to keep off the floor, but maybe Kwintin will move him to center. Alterique-Jalen-Terry-Kwintin-Mamadou would be quite the athletic lineup.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Trust in the Blaze!
upload_2017-10-2_18-43-28.png

Reaction Score
This is a great get. Love what so many other have said. Hands, fundamentals (stress 'mentals'), a ready to bang body (can you imagine him senior year after lifting for 4 more years - this gets me excited.), decisive, touch.

You lazy rating hard-ons are sadly destined for a life of blue balls. Beyond the required handful of studs, I'll take guys with the unteachables to compete at elite D1 like speed, quickness, length, hands, natural stroke, vision, explosion, buildable body and coachability to fill out spots 4-13 every single time.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I really like this kids game. From just videos, he seems to have a good feel for the game, finishes strong, knows where to be.

In 2-3 videos I watched, I also loved his PG from the U18 national team... Couldn't catch his jersey number but he had dimes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Between Cobb, Williams, Diarra, Kisunas, we'll be alright for 2018 and 2019. If we actually see our bigs rebounding and mixing it up, unlike what we've seen in the last several years, it would be a tremendous boost.

Reaction Score
I really like this kids game. From just videos, he seems to have a good feel for the game, finishes strong, knows where to be.

In 2-3 videos i watched, I also lived his PG from the U18 national team... Couldn't catch his jersey number but he had some dimes.
He's the kind of guy that seems to be a thorn in our side a couple times every season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
VERY offensive comments
Pure sarcasm to a sarcastic post. :cool:

Didn't throw in an emoji cause I thought it was obviously tongue in cheek.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads