Lou's injury | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lou's injury

Reaction Score
Looking at the bright side, imagine if this injury had taken place last year...........nice to have Azura ready to step in to take over for as long as necessary...........MW should benefit from additional minutes and if Camara can get back soon that will also add some toughness and inside scoring that every team needs

Reaction Score
Frenchy, an admirer of Napoleon, will appreciate this:

"The midfoot joint complex is also called the Lisfranc joint. It is named after French surgeon Jacques Lisfranc de St. Martin, who served in the Napoleonic army in the 1800s."

Lisfranc (Midfoot) Injury - OrthoInfo - AAOS

a00162f01.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I for one am amazed that someone hasn't come up with some sort of sleeve to prevent joints from moving beyond the point they are meant to move. With the number of light weight and amazingly strong materials available I do not see why this would not be possible while still allowing the joints freedom of movement. They would naturally have to be custom made to reflect the size and range of motion for each individual athlete. It would sort of parallel the ligaments range of motion but on the outside.
Problem is that everything you add to the body to try to 'limit' movement of bones and ligaments restricts an athlete's movement. And because of the complexity of especially hands and feet with lots of individual bones and tendons and cartilage, restricting the range of their movement is almost impossible. Add to that the issue of not restricting blood flow or constricting nerves, muscle, etc that pass over or surround the bones and it really is impossible. Starting with tape and progressing through all sorts of braces and supports, trainers, doctors, and scientists have tried to reach some happy medium of protection/support and performance. And you see most athletes still being frustrated by the restrictions that say a knee brace enforces even when they know the benefit it is providing in stability. The billions of dollars invested in professional athletes ensures that the investment in research and development to both prevent and recover from athletic injuries is very high. The developments in the field are staggering and benefit us all, but as you say they have not led to a way to prevent injuries and they likely never will.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Over-generalization. I've broken most of my fingers, both bones in my left arm and a bunch of toes without any restrictions appearing in the 66 years so far. With good care, that should be true of most who follow doctor's orders, unless the bone is crushed.

The fellow, who lives next door to you, is his name Joe Btfsplk? :rolleyes::D

Reaction Score
I thought lou played an excellent game tonight. She wasn't hot from the outside but her defense and attacking the basket were really good. I think people are just beginning to see some of the potential she has. I saw flashes of it ( beyond her 3pt shooting ) when she was in high school. Her defensive potential was always there it just needed to be forced out. I think Uconn fans now see that it was always ridiculous to compare her to KML. Oh by the way I am not a fan boy- she was often too testy for my taste. Though I think her time under Gino appears to have mitigated that quite a lot.
Agree on Lou's performance. While loved Crystal's 3's, Lou set the tone in the first half the past two games, playing a great all around game. Last year, with the many more minutes, she likely would have been in the 30+ point range. Her defense and leadership this year has been outstanding. I have noticed that she rarely looks tired or winded-great physical shape and stronger than last year.

Reaction Score
Mikayla Cowling did a sort of falling tackle on UCONN Player Samuelson - causing ankle injury ! Not a quality play
Lou tends to fall down more than most players after contact. Might be better off just staying tall and taking the hit. Love watching her play this year-hoping for the best.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agree on Lou's performance. While loved Crystal's 3's, Lou set the tone in the first half the past two games, playing a great all around game. Last year, with the many more minutes, she likely would have been in the 30+ point range. Her defense and leadership this year has been outstanding. I have noticed that she rarely looks tired or winded-great physical shape and stronger than last year.

What impresses me the most is how aware she is on the court. She see's and plays the right angles and moves so well without the ball. And her low post presence is remarkable. Hurry back.

Reaction Score
I meant what I said you know who you are. There are so many great posters on this board but there are also those who only support 1 player.
For some reason KLS has become one of those they want to take down and remember the take down of Crystal. I couldn't be happier for that kid.

Huh?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou was off to a fabulous start with her all-around game this season. I hope she is able to play as soon as possible. I don't know if Sunday is likely, but I sure hope she can play on Tuesday at UCLA, in front of family and friends (including my sister and me).

This reminds me of the other Mater Dei star who landed on her elbow early in her junior season and missed several games. I hope Lou comes back faster than Kaleena was able to.

Injuries, unfortunately, are part of the game. When I see Lou missing a game, Kia missing a few games, or Crystal in concussion protocol, it make me appreciate my favorite player even more. Maya Moore played in 154 games at UConn, missing none, starting most, and winning 150 of them. She's the Lou Gehrig/Cal Ripken of her sport.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
These are outstanding. Can I ask what you are shooting them with?

("A camera, CL" I thought I'd just get that out of the way.)
a Canon 1Dx at iso 1600 8fps 28-135 zoom at 135mm 1/250s f7.1

Reaction Score
I don't want this thread to wander too far off track, but I am 10000000000% sure there is not a single person on this board that wanted to see Samuelson or any other player get hurt!
You are about 100000000 short in your assessment. \
Some fans from other teams may want a Uconn kid sideline--not hurt--But most of the Regular posters are UConn WBB fans and only desire the best for each of OUR kids playing WBB and for the team. Only someone with perversion in their brains would want ANY kid from ANY team injured. When a kid from , you name the team, is sidelined with and ACL--almost in unison BY--er express great compassion and sorry, the school doesn't matter.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I am moderately surprised that we have not heard anything yet as an update...

Reaction Score
I am moderately surprised that we have not heard anything yet as an update...
I suspect we won't hear anything until game time (or shortly before) on Sunday. I have no doubt that Lou has been examined and received appropriate treatment/care this morning... but some Colleges/Teams are very reluctant to share player injury information. If they only knew how anxious we UCONN Fans are waiting to hear the prognosis. We'll know Sunday...

Reaction Score
As all of us are, I hope the injury is minor and that Lou can return to the court soon. That said, it is vital that she doesn't rush it and come back too soon.

Shudder to even bring this up, but is it early enough in the season that she would qualify for a medical red shirt if the injury is truly serious?

Reaction Score
sure hope that is the case!!! Some times no news is just no news... which I guess is better than the alternative of bad news.

I don't think we will have an update until game time tomorrow. No media was on campus today to get an update.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Lou tends to fall down more than most players after contact. Might be better off just staying tall and taking the hit. Love watching her play this year-hoping for the best.
Huh? Are you serious??? If you don’t have stats or evidence to back a statement, please don’t make a ridiculous comment. Head bang

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom