Louisville OOC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Louisville OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I respect the coaches who played UConn during the Stewie years . Walz not so much besides he is a whiner at every darn call.
When it was Stewies last year, he recruited like crazy and then decided he would play us, this year.
Just to be fair, Walz wasn't the only one who ducked The UConn this past few years. Kim are you listening?

Reaction Score
Well kudos to ND, USCe, MD,I am sure I missed an other team or 2

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
lol that is not true. Would the ACC trade the AAC , Louisville,ND,BCU,and Pitt for Huston,ECU, UCF,Tulane and Tulsa? No? Who did we poach most of those teams from CUSA, that's who. If those teams are so good why didn't the ACC take them?

what.gif

I guess reading isn't fundamental after all :rolleyes:

Anyway.... The Old Big East poached Notre Dame from the MCC, Rutgers and WVU from the A-10, Louisville, Depaul, Marquette, and South Florida from Conference USA.......

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oh Coco, you missed (or misinterpreted) his eye roll (indicating sarcasm). Carnac's thoughts align with your own.

Heh heh heh, thanks Choke. ;)

The back and forth dicussion on this thread is great!. I miss this kind of strong phylisphophical debating.

Reaction Score
View attachment 14871

I guess reading isn't fundamental after all :rolleyes:

Anyway.... The Old Big East poached Notre Dame from the MCC, Rutgers and WVU from the A-10, Louisville, Depaul, Marquette, and South Florida from Conference USA..

My point is do you think the ACC would trade most of those schools for the schools that the ACC took from the Big East? The ACC poached the schools they did because they wanted to kill the BE which was a better conference.

Reaction Score
Im sure this will pop up in this thread eventually, but I read alot about the only reason the ACC is strong in WCBB is that their better teams were poached from another conference (The Old Big East). Thats laughable to me, because you never hear the same people acknowledge that the only reason the Old Big East was so strong is that alot of their better teams were poached from other conferences as well. :cool:

Have to disagree. The Big East was a conference for many years with the same members, or virtually the same. They started out as a basketball conference, not a football conference. I don't know who was poached from other conferences to create the original Big East. But it really had the same purpose.

But look at the current ACC, and you see that most of the top teams came from the old Big East: Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse. And two of the next highest- Miami and Florida State- were brought in over the past several years from elsewhere for their football programs. The traditional ACC basketball schools have slid- North Carolina, and Duke. Maryland took off for the Big Ten.

So without the former Big East teams, the ACC would be in the cellar.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have to disagree. The Big East was a conference for many years with the same members, or virtually the same. They started out as a basketball conference, not a football conference. I don't know who was poached from other conferences to create the original Big East. But it really had the same purpose.

But look at the current ACC, and you see that most of the top teams came from the old Big East: Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse. And two of the next highest- Miami and Florida State- were brought in over the past several years from elsewhere for their football programs. The traditional ACC basketball schools have slid- North Carolina, and Duke. Maryland took off for the Big Ten.

I don't see how you can say "I don't know who was poached from other conferences to create the original Big East." and then disagree that "Teams were poached to create the Big East"

Reaction Score
I don't see how you can say "I don't know who was poached from other conferences to create the original Big East." and then disagree that "Teams were poached to create the Big East"

OK. Here's the scoop on how the Big East was formed, courtesy of Wikipedia (Big East Conference (1979–2013) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):

"The Big East often referred to as the Classic Big East was founded in 1979 after new NCAA basketball scheduling requirements caused the athletic directors of independent schools Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Syracuse to discuss the creation of a conference centered in the Northeast.[6] Other schools invited were Seton Hall, Connecticut, Holy Cross, Rutgers, and Boston College, with Rutgers and Holy Cross declining to join.[6] Villanova joined a year later in 1980[7] and Pittsburgh joined in 1982.[8] Before the formation of the conference, many of these schools participated in the ECAC Men's Basketball Tournament in order to receive an automatic bid for the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship."

So these original schools were either independent, or members of the ECAC, which was hardly a conference. Then:

"About a decade after the conference's inception, Big East members decided to become a major football conference and thus added five schools including Rutgers, Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia. The inaugural Big East football season launched in 1991.[10] West Virginia and Rutgers joined the Big East as full members in 1995,[11] and Virginia Tech joined as a full member in 2000.[12] Temple remained a football-only member until 2004, when it was voted out of the conference due to poor attendance figures, lack of playing success, and inadequate facilities.[13] The Big East offered Notre Dame a non-football membership effective 1995.[14]"

Then it began to collapse. Boise State applied for membership, etc. Miami left for the ACC. And so it goes.

But the original Big East, the original basketball conference, went back more than three decades, and it wasn't formed by cherry-picking colleges from power conferences. And it is those original conference members whose women's basketball teams are still superb, and contending for championships in several conferences today.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK. Here's the scoop on how the Big East was formed, courtesy of Wikipedia (Big East Conference (1979–2013) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):

"The Big East often referred to as the Classic Big East was founded in 1979 after new NCAA basketball scheduling requirements caused the athletic directors of independent schools Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Syracuse to discuss the creation of a conference centered in the Northeast.[6] Other schools invited were Seton Hall, Connecticut, Holy Cross, Rutgers, and Boston College, with Rutgers and Holy Cross declining to join.[6] Villanova joined a year later in 1980[7] and Pittsburgh joined in 1982.[8] Before the formation of the conference, many of these schools participated in the ECAC Men's Basketball Tournament in order to receive an automatic bid for the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship."

So these original schools were either independent, or members of the ECAC, which was hardly a conference. Then:

"About a decade after the conference's inception, Big East members decided to become a major football conference and thus added five schools including Rutgers, Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia. The inaugural Big East football season launched in 1991.[10] West Virginia and Rutgers joined the Big East as full members in 1995,[11] and Virginia Tech joined as a full member in 2000.[12] Temple remained a football-only member until 2004, when it was voted out of the conference due to poor attendance figures, lack of playing success, and inadequate facilities.[13] The Big East offered Notre Dame a non-football membership effective 1995.[14]"

Then it began to collapse. Boise State applied for membership, etc. Miami left for the ACC. And so it goes.

But the original Big East, the original basketball conference, went back more than three decades, and it wasn't formed by cherry-picking colleges from power conferences. And it is those original conference members whose women's basketball teams are still superb, and contending for championships in several conferences today.
Good ole Wiki. I was aware of all of the above didn't have to look it. You do realize that in 1979 the concept of "5 Power" conferences did not exists right? So there was no such thing as poaching from a power conference just regular poaching-which is what the Big East did. .

Reaction Score

NC & Duke have "slid" in BB? WBB maybe, but in MBB, which is the only other thing besides football that the conferences care about, those 2 are not only by far the winningest programs in the ACC, they are consistently the best in the country.

Reaction Score
Good ole Wiki. I was aware of all of the above didn't have to look it. You do realize that in 1979 the concept of "5 Power" conferences did not exists right? So there was no such thing as poaching from a power conference just regular poaching-which is what the Big East did. .

Don't know about that. The Big Ten had been a football powerhouse for a long time even then. And the ACC had been a big conference for men's basketball at that point. The Big East came out of nowhere for men's basketball when they cobbled together all of these mainly independent schools. And immediately they challenged the ACC's dominance in b-ball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't know about that. The Big Ten had been a football powerhouse for a long time even then. And the ACC had been a big conference for men's basketball at that point. The Big East came out of nowhere for men's basketball when they cobbled together all of these mainly independent schools. And immediately they challenged the ACC's dominance in b-ball.
You are right, you don't know. Hopefully you will come to realize that P5 thing is a distinction for Football purposes only-the Big East was never going to make it especially with ND BE Football being independent.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Besides UCONN... which original big east team has a superb WCBB team ?

My point is do you think the ACC would trade most of those schools for the schools that the ACC took from the Big East? The ACC poached the schools they did because they wanted to kill the BE which was a better conference.

A weaker conference is able to kill off a superior conference ? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS