Louisville and the officials | The Boneyard

Louisville and the officials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
5 fouls already? That's it. Time to earn those fouls. Let's see how many Ice packs their medical staff brought.

Reaction Score
Ollie gets tossed from this game, you can bank on it.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Lousiville getting a taste of their own foul medicine.

Reaction Score
Reffing was atrocious against UConn first 12 minutes, then Ville got a few bad calls. Then refs called a timeout for Ville when Ville player didn't even have the ball. AND, the Van Treese take down of Niels. Double foul?

Reaction Score
If we had a big man who could stick a 10-15ft jumper we would be ok

Reaction Score
Refs are absolute horrible again tonight. Amazing some these calls they're coming up with.

Reaction Score
Reffing was atrocious against UConn first 12 minutes, then Ville got a few bad calls. Then refs called a timeout for Ville when Ville player didn't even have the ball. AND, the Van Treese take down of Niels. Double foul?
It is not any specific call. It is the way they call the game vis-a-vis, tight or loose, and the inconsistency in doing so. That is the problem.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
that call was huge...kept Niels on the bench while L'ville's lead grew in the first half. Punk move by Van Treese

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Reffing was not significantly different during any game UConn won. The only difference is UConn didn't win this one. The whining about refs being responsible for a loss is beyond silly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reffing was not significantly different than during any game UConn won. The only difference is UConn didn't win this one. The whining about refs being responsible for a loss is beyond silly.
Unfortunately, at least this season, bitchin, whining and complaining about reffing has become par for the course. We are slumping to mid-major status with all the complaining about fouls and non-fouls.

This didn't happen to this extent with tough BE play. I guess the new conference softened the fan base. Check out the chat room during the game and you'll see the refs getting way more attention than players. People want every touch called a foul and seemingly looking for a parade of free throws. Maybe I'm just old school where elbows and physical play were part of the game.

Anyway, it seems as if many feel our UConn team can't handle/overcome poor officiating like many mid-majors. Sad times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you're whining it's one thing. If you're stating the obvious it's another. I suggest the coaches who play vs the Cards plant a quick bug in the ear of the officials early and often on the hip check……Hancock and Jones will be gone before halftime!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reffing was not significantly different than during any game UConn won. The only difference is UConn didn't win this one. The whining about refs being responsible for a loss is beyond silly.

There are three choices to explain the disparity in fouls when the side with more free throws was playing full court press:

1) UConn's guards suck;
2) Louisville's guars are all lottery picks; or
3) the officials were letting louisville get away with murder.

Let me know which one you like the most.

Reaction Score
There are three choices to explain the disparity in fouls when the side with more free throws was playing full court press:

1) UConn's guards suck;
2) Louisville's guars are all lottery picks; or
3) the officials were letting louisville get away with murder.

Let me know which one you like the most.
I say
3) (restated) Pitino commands more 'ref' respect than Ollie.

Reaction Score
Even if we got some or all of those calls last night it wouldn't have made our shooting better. We missed open looks, plain and simple. Plus, we had lots of turnovers that weren't fouls. Second half was better but just didn't execute or shoot particularly well in the first. UofL is in the players heads.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I had many of the same thoughts early on, the Cards foul so damn often the officials have to redefine what a foul is for them. That was certainly the case the last two times I witness them play us in person. they're allowed to bump and grind and hip check and body check because that's what they do all game long.

However, for most of the game last night, I didn't think it was anything to do about the officiating, they're just better than us head to head. Maybe too tough, maybe Rick out coached KO, maybe the future HOF coach knows how to expose our weaknesses better than anyone.

Congrats Cards, you own us

Reaction Score
Ville is without doubt better than UConn.

That being said, it hurts to have Giffey sitting in favor of Calhoun when Giffey's first two fouls were totally bogus. You take away a key player from UConn, and then the very difficult (beating Louisville) becomes near impossible.

Reaction Score
Reffing was not significantly different during any game UConn won. The only difference is UConn didn't win this one. The whining about refs being responsible for a loss is beyond silly.
Don't think the refs were in anyway responsible for the loss. Louisville is clearly better than us, and may be the best team in the country. They are also a terrible matchup for us, and we haven't been able to muster even our C game against them.

That doesn't change the fact that they, more than any other team, play a defensive style that is essentially just continuous fouling, 90's New York Knicks style. It starts immediately. The first time we tried to inbound the ball, Smith is there clutching and grabbing Shabazz 90 feet from the basket. That's a foul. It should be called a foul, and when it's not, it's difficult, because they continue to do that stuff for 40 minutes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, at least this season, bitchin, whining and complaining about reffing has become par for the course. We are slumping to mid-major status with all the complaining about fouls and non-fouls.

This didn't happen to this extent with tough BE play. I guess the new conference softened the fan base. Check out the chat room during the game and you'll see the refs getting way more attention than players. People want every touch called a foul and seemingly looking for a parade of free throws. Maybe I'm just old school where elbows and physical play were part of the game.

Anyway, it seems as if many feel our UConn team can't handle/overcome poor officiating like many mid-majors. Sad times.

Same thing happened during Pitt games a few years ago. Not a new phenomenon.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Maybe we just need to get tougher. Brimah is a baby, Daniels is on the slender side for PFs, and Boatright and Shabazz are small. I think next year, with Brimah and Facey a year older and bigger and our backcourt getting significantly bigger, we have less issues with this type of physicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom