Lou to play in Europe during the WNBA offseason | The Boneyard

Lou to play in Europe during the WNBA offseason

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Is there any chance that Lou I (that would be Katie Lou) will play basketball before next spring?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Why is it ok for someone who signs a contract with a WNBA team, to play for another team?
What if the player gets injured playing with a team in the summer?
Is the WNBA the only sport league which allows this?

Reaction Score
Why is it ok for someone who signs a contract with a WNBA team, to play for another team?
Monte- - -The players in the WNBA almost have to play overseas to make the good money!
The WNBA even though it's the best league is also one of the lowest paying leagues!
The girls can make upwards of $500,000 playing overseas!
DT and Sue Bird were making over a million in Russia + perks!
So even though they would like to stay home they need the big paychecks!
The WNBA is trying to make rules to eliminate the conflicting schedules!

Reaction Score
If true, this is a pretty good decision for her as it will ease her back into playing at a lower level compared to the French league.

Why is it okay for someone who signs a contract with another team to play for a WNBA team? In all seriousness though, contracted baseball players are allowed to play in winter leagues, mostly in the Caribbean.

The NBA-FIBA agreement governs players moving between the WNBA and leagues that are sanctioned by their national federations so there is a clear process for what is and is not allowed.

Reaction Score
Do new WNBA players get a waiver for a certain number of years to play overseas during the off season and NOT have to report to their WNBA team at the start of the season?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Monte- - -The players in the WNBA almost have to play overseas to make the good money!
The WNBA even though it's the best league is also one of the lowest paying leagues!
Keep in mind that the WNBA season is only 4 1/2 months too. Basically, it's a summer league.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
At one time Stewie was making 5 times more money in Russia then in the WNBA, and that was just her salary. She made money in commercials and endorsements that was equal to her pay in the WNBA.

sun

Reaction Score
It appears that the economic conditions in Europe have changed which has reduced salaries for many players.
Not that they were ever as high as believed to begin with except for a small minority of elite players.
This 2023 Athletic article explains about it. (It's not behind a paywall)

What do WNBA players make overseas? Not as much as you’ve heard

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It appears that the economic conditions in Europe have changed which has reduced salaries for many players.
Not that they were ever as high as believed to begin with except for a small minority of elite players.
This 2023 Athletic article explains about it. (It's not behind a paywall)

What do WNBA players make overseas? Not as much as you’ve heard

Most of those small minority of elite players were from teams in the WNBA. If COVID hadn't happened and Russia hadn't locked up Griner and invaded Ukraine they most likely would have had many of the top WNBA players again. Gabby who is not one of the most elite players in the W, made more in France then in the W.

Until the W starts treating the players like the professionals that they are with such things as charter flights to road games in lieu of flying commercial, team facilities that are dedicated to the players and no sharing with other teams. Las Vegas was the first team to have such facilities. Since Mark Davis bought the team, he has been fined twice by the league for flying the team via chartered plane because of commercial flight delays.

I believe that some of the owners actually want higher salaries and better conditions, but you have a few owners that are way behind in such things as dedicated facilities, such as practice, medical, rehab, and housing. I believe that Atlanta doesn't even have a dedicated court that they play their home games on.

sun

Reaction Score
Here's a list of all WNBA salaries by rank for 2023.
I doubt that any such list even exists for all of the players in foreign leagues because their salaries are kept secret.
That means that there's no way to compare the salaries overseas to the US.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Here's a list of all WNBA salaries by rank for 2023.
I doubt that any such list even exists for all of the players in foreign leagues because their salaries are kept secret.
That means that there's no way to compare the salaries overseas to the US.

Pathetic that the highest paid player in the WNBA makes LESS then $250,000.00 a year. Paige's shoe deal is reportedly over 7 figures. It's an insult that these women play in a league that doesn't come close to paying them a respectable salary. The lowest paid player in the NBA makes $1,119,563 a year, while the highest paid WNBA player $242,154.00. Heck Paige might just want to play another year or two at UConn before turning pro.

Reaction Score
Most of those small minority of elite players were from teams in the WNBA. If COVID hadn't happened and Russia hadn't locked up Griner and invaded Ukraine they most likely would have had many of the top WNBA players again. Gabby who is not one of the most elite players in the W, made more in France then in the W.

Until the W starts treating the players like the professionals that they are with such things as charter flights to road games in lieu of flying commercial, team facilities that are dedicated to the players and no sharing with other teams. Las Vegas was the first team to have such facilities. Since Mark Davis bought the team, he has been fined twice by the league for flying the team via chartered plane because of commercial flight delays.

I believe that some of the owners actually want higher salaries and better conditions, but you have a few owners that are way behind in such things as dedicated facilities, such as practice, medical, rehab, and housing. I believe that Atlanta doesn't even have a dedicated court that they play their home games on.
It is a business for profit after all. Until the league can start existing without the yearly stipend from the NBA (reportedly $10,000,000 per year) and start making an actual profit, it is unlikely they (the players)) will see either charter airplanes or NBA level salaries. That will only happen with a massive increase in attendance and a commensurate increase in TV money! I’m pulling for them but frankly, it’s not looking good.
Amazingly, they are reportedly looking at expansion! It is beyond me how that can be justified or accomplished even, considering the fact that the league as it stands, is not making a profit. I believe they are talking two teams with more planned down the road.
This leads to another argument against expansion, the risk of watering down the talent pool. I know this is probably not a popular opinion but it seems to me the focus should be on getting more seats filled and upgrading the talent level across the league! Right now they have three teams that have really solid starting talent! That’s three out of twelve!
There are some really good players on the horizon but with the recent NIL decision, and the option of an extra covid year, many of those players may decide to stay for another year, depriving the league of desperately needed talent!
Personally, I think Shaq was right. They should lower the rim! I think it would make the game more exciting and (most important) more likely to attract viewers on TV! As the athleticism continues to increase, (as it is already) the rim could gradually be raised, hopefully, some years and increased profits down the line, to arrive back to the current level. Imagine if players like Wilson, Stewie, Miller, Loyd, Howard, Collier, Boston, and more, were finishing fast breaks with two handed slams and tomahawk dunks!
Unfortunately, that is unlikely to happen, I know, for the same reason Shaq himself would never adopt something that would likely have allowed him to score many more points in his career. I am referring of course, to the underhanded free throw. It was too embarrassing! Instead, he chose to suffer the ignominy of “Hack-a-Shaq”!

Reaction Score
There's a whole bunch of people in that list with a lot of salary upside. Sarge, I agree. The salaries are a shame, but on the other hand, I don't know of any owner who is becoming filthy rich off of these players. Someday it might change with significantly larger TV contracts, live gate sellouts, etc. But, that day isn't today.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Is there any chance that Lou I (that would be Katie Lou) will play basketball before next spring?
Not sure but if I hear something I will post it

sun

Reaction Score
Listed at #105, Lou Lopez-Senechal was paid $71,300 & she didn't play & wasn't injured playing in the WNBA.
She was actually paid more money than Olivia at #122 & Dorka. at #118.

Last year, Christyn Williams didn't receive any player contract (cap hit) money even though she may have received an injury settlement that's not listed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure but if I hear something I will post it
Katie Lou had already decided to stop playing in Europe when she took the job with coach Ralph as director of player development and assistant coach. The plan was to play the WNBA season then work at Vandy the rest of the year. Now, of course, she has a baby, and I have no clue what her plans are. I assume she still plans to join the Vandy staff, but I can't say when.

I do think the one thing that's certain is she will not be playing in Europe.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I dont think, as of now, she will play in Europe this season. I was thinking maybe that Athletes Unlimted league, that last year ran for 5 weeks from late February, as a warm up?
However, the following Euro season she might return to Europe, as the $$ are too good to pass, especially with a little ones expense and you are young and healthy.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Here is a translated article on Lou Lopez. Nothing new , but they do say they will have an interview later this week.

MEXICAN-FRENCH BLOOD WILL STRENGTHEN THE ŽABINSKY PERIMETER​

25/09/2023Barbora Pestálová
Žabiny will be strengthened by one more experienced player before the start of the season. From the American WNBA, 25-year-old Lou Lopez Sénéchal, who has Mexican-French origin and experience with Irish basketball, comes to the wing position.
Lopez Sénéchal was born in Mexico, where she originally started playing football. She only found her way to basketball in her mother's native country of France. Since then, she has honed her game at the Irish basketball academy and at an American university. In the USA, she defended the colors of the Uconn Huskies and Fairfield Stagd, even earning the MMAC player of the year award. And thanks to that, she was selected by the Dallas Wings in the first round of this year's WNBA draft as the fifth player overall. After the American summer, Lou returns back to Europe. With Brno Žabiny, he wants to fulfill not only his goals in the Czech and Czechoslovakian competitions, but also on the Eurocup.
You will learn more about Lou Lopez Sénéchal in a direct interview during the week!

Since her team will be in Eurocup, most if not all of those games will be free on FIBA you tube channel.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It is a business for profit after all. Until the league can start existing without the yearly stipend from the NBA (reportedly $10,000,000 per year) and start making an actual profit, it is unlikely they (the players)) will see either charter airplanes or NBA level salaries. That will only happen with a massive increase in attendance and a commensurate increase in TV money! I’m pulling for them but frankly, it’s not looking good.
Amazingly, they are reportedly looking at expansion! It is beyond me how that can be justified or accomplished even, considering the fact that the league as it stands, is not making a profit. I believe they are talking two teams with more planned down the road.
This leads to another argument against expansion, the risk of watering down the talent pool. I know this is probably not a popular opinion but it seems to me the focus should be on getting more seats filled and upgrading the talent level across the league! Right now they have three teams that have really solid starting talent! That’s three out of twelve!
There are some really good players on the horizon but with the recent NIL decision, and the option of an extra covid year, many of those players may decide to stay for another year, depriving the league of desperately needed talent!
Personally, I think Shaq was right. They should lower the rim! I think it would make the game more exciting and (most important) more likely to attract viewers on TV! As the athleticism continues to increase, (as it is already) the rim could gradually be raised, hopefully, some years and increased profits down the line, to arrive back to the current level. Imagine if players like Wilson, Stewie, Miller, Loyd, Howard, Collier, Boston, and more, were finishing fast breaks with two handed slams and tomahawk dunks!
Unfortunately, that is unlikely to happen, I know, for the same reason Shaq himself would never adopt something that would likely have allowed him to score many more points in his career. I am referring of course, to the underhanded free throw. It was too embarrassing! Instead, he chose to suffer the ignominy of “Hack-a-Shaq”!
I think that it is ridiculous that the WNBA will not allow owners provide charter flights for their teams. I read somewhere that they believe that it would give a team an unfair advantage over other teams that can't or won't do it. So the WNBA decides to treat the players worse than many college teams when it comes to mode of transportation.

Last year the Aces had problems with getting to a game where it took them over 20 hours for a 4 hour plane ride. They arrived early morning of game day and had very little sleep before the game. If they had been allowed to travel charter then it wouldn't have been a problem. To me until the W starts to treat their players better than top notch college teams they don't deserve my loyalty.

sun

Reaction Score
The Aug. 23, 2023 article below in The Athletic explains all about the progress made with the issue of charter travel for the WNBA.
It says that all of this year's post season games will fly by charter.
Also this year some select games such as back to back games were allowed to fly by charter.
Some teams have been using 30 seat jets provided by a small commercial carrier named JSX to fly them from private terminals with the possibility of a league partnership.
And the players also have the option to pay for their own 1st class tickets.
The article makes it clear that if charter flights were instituted today, that the WNBA would fold in 5-7 years.
The JSX jets can fly at a much lower cost than regular charters & that's why a partnership is being considered.

Earlier in the year the WNBA said that universal charter flighrs would cost the league $25 million/year or $2 million per team which would cause some teams to fold.
The league needs a new & larger media deal in order to afford charter flights for every team.
WNBA revenue has increased but not by enough to be able to afford charters yet.

The article can be read without a paywall on Archive.org , the Internet Archive Wayback Machine below.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom