Lou Still Has A Back Issue | The Boneyard

Lou Still Has A Back Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No need to play her if she's not 100%. Give Liv and Mikayla even more time to acclimate with the starters. Bring her back when she's completely healed. We shouldn't need her the first weekend.

Of course the coaches and trainers know best, but UCONN fans in general are worry warts so...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, I agree. Last year Lou played with torn ligaments in her foot. As a freshman, she played most of the 1st half of the National Semifinal with a broken foot, and of course we've all seen the barf bucket game against MD her sophomore year. Lou is as tough as they come and she'll tough it out tomorrow. My hope is that her back continues to get better each and every game in the tournament until it's a non-issue.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I don’t think there is a right answer for this one.

On one hand, you want to make sure that’s Lou is at her best for the games that matter and what happens if she has another bad spasm against Towson and is done for the season?

On the other hand, you want the starting five to have some in-game time to gel again. You don’t have a half of basketball to figure it out against Louisville like we did against ECU. (I know, I know — reintroducing Lou is different than adding Liv, but change is change.)

If they lose and she scores less than 20 points, everyone is going to blame it on Geno not resting her back.

If they lose in the second round and she’s sitting, he’s an idiot for not starting one of the best players in the country who claims she’s ready to go.

If they win the NC by starting Touly, Kyla, Molly, Mikayla, and Christyn and Lou doesn’t play a single minute, he’s the greatest coach in the history of history and how dare we question his genius. (Okay, maybe that last one is a little extreme, but y’all get what I’m saying.)

Like I said — there’s no right answer and no one is ever happy.

Take a deep breath and enjoy Lou and Phee’s last dance.

Reaction Score
No need to play her if she's not 100%. Give Liv and Mikayla even more time to acclimate with the starters. Bring her back when she's completely healed. We shouldn't need her the first weekend.

Of course the coaches and trainers know best, but UCONN fans in general are worry warts so...
EricLa---My initial thought was---Right ON! Save Katie Lou. Then I thought--there is the "rust" effect. Maybe she needs 20 or more minute in these 2 (if we get 2) game to shake off the rust and get into Tourney Mode. I'd rather the rust be removed against Towson than Louisville.

Reaction Score
Yes, I agree. Last year Lou played with torn ligaments in her foot. As a freshman, she played most of the 1st half of the National Semifinal with a broken foot, and of course we've all seen the barf bucket game against MD her sophomore year. Lou is as tough as they come and she'll tough it out tomorrow. My hope is that her back continues to get better each and every game in the tournament until it's a non-issue.
If KLS is still having back pain, well! Certainly, ok almost certain, her shot most likely will be off so she will be forced to play more inside (not a bad move in and of itself). She won't be drawing anyone away from Napheesa and Megan if her 3 is off.

Reaction Score
I can't say I'm surprised. I've had back spasms and I can tell you even when they stop happening the back is still what I call "tender" for quite awhile afterwards- and can easily be re-aggravated.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there is a right answer for this one.

On one hand, you want to make sure that’s Lou is at her best for the games that matter and what happens if she has another bad spasm against Towson and is done for the season?

On the other hand, you want the starting five to have some in-game time to gel again. You don’t have a half of basketball to figure it out against Louisville like we did against ECU. (I know, I know — reintroducing Lou is different than adding Liv, but change is change.)

If they lose and she scores less than 20 points, everyone is going to blame it on Geno not resting her back.

If they lose in the second round and she’s sitting, he’s an idiot for not starting one of the best players in the country who claims she’s ready to go.

If they win the NC by starting Touly, Kyla, Molly, Mikayla, and Christyn and Lou doesn’t play a single minute, he’s the greatest coach in the history of history and how dare we question his genius. (Okay, maybe that last one is a little extreme, but y’all get what I’m saying.)

Like I said — there’s no right answer and no one is ever happy.

Take a deep breath and enjoy Lou and Phee’s last dance.
As you said: There is no right answer and no one is ever happy.
Sometimes, that is accurate.
I'm not Geno's greatest fan. He is more human than most humans with all the warts and wrinkles. However, if past history is any precursor to today's events then Geno has more rabbits, plays, individuals, misdirection's than any other coach in WCBB history. If he play's Molly be sure she will drill a 3 at the exact moment necessary. If Touly is in for defense, she will defend better than you've have ever seen. The same could be said for Irwin or Coombs should Geno use them.
I haven't seen the REAL Geno in a while he comes alive in the NCAA's. There was a time long before Maya or Stewie that I just knew Geno had a fix for what ever was the problem with HIS team.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I would never sit a senior who was cleared to play and wanted to play her last few games, just because I wanted to hold her for "safety" reasons for later games. Admittedly, I have never coached for stakes like this.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
As you said: There is no right answer and no one is ever happy.
Sometimes, that is accurate.
I'm not Geno's greatest fan. He is more human than most humans with all the warts and wrinkles. However, if past history is any precursor to today's events then Geno has more rabbits, plays, individuals, misdirection's than any other coach in WCBB history. If he play's Molly be sure she will drill a 3 at the exact moment necessary. If Touly is in for defense, she will defend better than you've have ever seen. The same could be said for Irwin or Coombs should Geno use them.
I haven't seen the REAL Geno in a while he comes alive in the NCAA's. There was a time long before Maya or Stewie that I just knew Geno had a fix for what ever was the problem with HIS team.

That was kind of my point. He has a plan and while all of us around the water cooler like to speculate as to what he should do, with this particular situation he’s very much in a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” place.

But I think every can agree starting the four reserves and Christyn is crazy talk. That particular point was just a touch exaggerated.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If KLS is still having back pain, well! Certainly, ok almost certain, her shot most likely will be off so she will be forced to play more inside (not a bad move in and of itself). She won't be drawing anyone away from Napheesa and Megan if her 3 is off.
By Geno’s assessment Lou is shooting at 95%. I’m assuming he’s talking about her 3-pt shooting. If Lou is shooting it at 95%, I certainly wouldn’t give her any open looks from the 3-pt line if I was playing UConn.

Reaction Score
She’s had 3 weeks to rest she will be fine. She’s been practicing and shooting the ball like she always has. Louisville has 2 injured players how will they come back?? It’s the end of the season everyone is banged up.. can’t look ahead one game at a time. We all are assuming the worst. As long as Lou in on the floor it makes UCONN so
Much better. UCONN will be fine.

Reaction Score
I'd keep her on the bench for this game unless absolutely necessary.....................she has only so many minutes in that back and I'd be pretty ticked off if she reinjured it against a weak first round opponent........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd keep her on the bench for this game unless absolutely necessary......she has only so many minutes in that back and I'd be pretty ticked off if she reinjured it against a weak first round opponent...
Would you also be willing to personally tell Lou she’s sitting on the bench when she’s been cleared by the training staff to play? Because I know Geno’s not going to do it.

Reaction Score
In the 2013 tournament, Stewie sat out the first game with a sore left leg.

In the Notre Dame game, one semifinal of the 2013 tournament, Dolson was really hurting. She had a stress fracture in her right ankle. She had plantar fasciitis in her left leg. She was moving around the court with difficulty, but she still played 29 minutes. She just really wanted to play. They had lost to Notre Dame three times during the season; Stewart really stepped up in the game, but without Dolson inside, I don't think they win. Should Dolson have played on a bad foot and a bad leg? I don't know. It was the tournament, but it wasn't her last chance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In case anyone missed this comment from Geno’s presser, “If you’re injured it’s not your decision if you can play. If you’re hurt, it’s your decision if you can play.”

Lou is hurting, and it’s her decision to play.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I'd keep her on the bench for this game unless absolutely necessary......she has only so many minutes in that back and I'd be pretty ticked off if she reinjured it against a weak first round opponent...
Does the player have any say so at all? She says she is ready, she is cleared by the medical staff, it is her senior year, she wants to play . There is nothing to indicate that playing in the first game will be detrimental to her. Not playing makes it harder for her to get back in the groove. If I were her , I would be so glad I played for Geno ,and not for you. Is there some information that you possess that allows you to claim she has only so many minutes in her back? Back sprains are all unique, and must run quite a gamut from mild to severe. I have not heard anyone say that her sprain is such that it is time limited. :confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does the player have any say so at all? She says she is ready, she is cleared by the medical staff, it is her senior year, she wants to play . There is nothing to indicate that playing in the first game will be detrimental to her. Not playing makes it harder for her to get back in the groove. If I were her , I would be so glad I played for Geno ,and not for you. Is there some information that you possess that allows you to claim she has only so many minutes in her back? Back sprains are all unique, and must run quite a gamut from mild to severe. I have not heard anyone say that her sprain is such that it is time limited. :confused:
See my post above.
Once the medical staff clears a player, and by that I mean states with some certainty that they are unlikely to reinjure themselves, Geno makes it very clear that it’s up to the player to determine if they can play through any pain or discomfort, which he differentiates as “injured” (my decision) or “hurt” (player decision).

Reaction Score
Would you also be willing to personally tell Lou she’s sitting on the bench when she’s been cleared by the training staff to play? Because I know Geno’s not going to do it.

absolutely................I'd tell her she'll get all the minutes she wants in a few more days............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom