Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I actually " lifted " it from you, it was the perfect statement, I didn't thk tht the copyright police would issue a warrant for me, I plead not guilty of any charges based on the grounds tht imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I feel tht You should feel immortalized . Haha
No problem. Feel free to repost any of my comments. No copyrights claimed. Actually I’m honored. Not everyone in the yard likes Carnac.

Reaction Score
It may be that with Ice and Ayanna and continued growth by the existing core players, we might be a better team next year than last. I really don't think it's likely but maybe we rebound better at least and get more putbacks, South Carolina style. I'm not that worried about the shooting and if our rebounding is better I'm feeling pretty good about our 3 point shooting and offense from the guard position. We might have 3 shooters with 40% 3 point efficiency. I'm all for the best shooters shooting most of the shots, especially if our best rebounders are rebounding and we get 3 point returns from a lot of our shots. A lot of players barely get 40% efficiency from their 2 point shooting! That extra wing who can shoot the 3 probably will supplement this team well, spreading the floor, and both player movement and quick passes make this team GREAT against most defenses. She is going to be target A on defense though. That's why she comes off the bench especially when we can match her up against a non shooting player. With all the switches and screens that is a problem in itself. Maybe she's a stronger defender outside than she was at the 4 position. No doubt she will put in the effort. I saw some games where she just was pushed out of the way when trying to rebound. She was out of position against top teams at the 4. Defensively, can she move her feet well enough to defend outside? I'm glad we have added at least some depth. Near definite positive addition. I think she will fit in well with the team as well. Seems like a kid who is both motivated and able to self evaluate well. She shouldn't be a problem. This will be the best year of her life.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am impressed with her and hope she will add something valuable to the team next year.

I find people salivating over this or that player in the portal a little unrealistic. Almost all of those entering the portal with talent enough to play on a S16/E8 level team are looking for glory and more specifically personal glory. None of them are likely to displace the returning Huskies players so the idea that they would come to Uconn is unlikely as personal glory would start from the bench. There just aren't that many gaps in the lineup.

Lou has her sights set on a goal and sees Uconn as a step up in competition and coaching to polish her for a European pro career. This is the type of player that fits and that wants what Uconn has to offer.

(The only other player that I could see Uconn pursuing would be a post with the potential of a Cardoso and I don't think any of those have entered the portal.)

Reaction Score
For the most part Americans (me included) are really pathetic when it comes to mastering foreign languages...... I have many European friends and every one of them speaks a minimum of two languages, most speak three and some speak four or five.......

Have had this discussion many times over the years. Settled it in my mind by asking friends how long it would take them to travel across 3 countries from where they live? Times ranged, but, none were close to traveling coast to coast in the USA.
Think how many languages we would speak if each state had their own. Europeans have to know several languages just to get along or travel through neighboring countries.
Once I spun that in my brain, I didn’t feel so dumb (even though I still have limited intelligence).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For the most part Americans (me included) are really pathetic when it comes to mastering foreign languages...... I have many European friends and every one of them speaks a minimum of two languages, most speak three and some speak four or five.......
I guarantee that if different languages were spoken in all 50 of our states, you'd know many more languages than you do. Fun fact - you could fit 10 different European countries into TEXAS and still have room to spare.

Being originally from Connecticut, I could see needing to speak the language of Rhode Island, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire including my native tongue in Conn.

I don't disagree that Americans are poor at mastering foreign languages for the most part, but IMHO it's because we simply have no need to. We can travel 3,000 miles coast to coast and still speak English... (altho some would argue that southerners speak a different language, and don't even get me started on the New Orleans dialects!):D

Oh, and our large neighbor to the north speaks English as well (save for the French provinces)...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I guarantee that if different languages were spoken in all 50 of our states, you'd know many more languages than you do. Fun fact - you could fit 10 different European countries into TEXAS and still have room to spare.

Being originally from Connecticut, I could see needing to speak the language of Rhode Island, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire including my native tongue in Conn.

I don't disagree that Americans are poor at mastering foreign languages for the most part, but IMHO it's because we simply have no need to. We can travel 3,000 miles coast to coast and still speak English... (altho some would argue that southerners speak a different language, and don't even get me started on the New Orleans dialects!):D

Oh, and our large neighbor to the north speaks English as well (save for the French provinces)...
There is also a huge advantage when studying a foreign language to being a two hour train trip from being surrounded by that language's native speakers for a weekend or a month.

I study in England when I was 15-16 and started learning German - they gave us all the grammar and didn't focus on vocabulary at all, simply expecting us to spend school holidays expanding vocabulary by spending weeks in Germany.

Reaction Score
That’s where I see Lou2.
Me too, she may be a 2/3, but probably more a 3 because of her size. The way I look at the probable backups and their minutes is that Nika, and Lou are the backups with Nika being a natural point guard likely to get all of the minutes behind Paige, and Lou likely to get all the minutes subbing for Caroline.

The backup for Azzi will depend, it may go to the best of the two if one shines over the other, or it could depend on what traits Geno is looking for in that particular game, passing and defense with Nika, or shooting and scoring with Lou.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Me too, she may be a 2/3, but probably more a 3 because of her size. The way I look at the probable backups and their minutes is that Nika, and Lou are the backups with Nika being a natural point guard likely to get all of the minutes behind Paige, and Lou likely to get all the minutes subbing for Caroline.

The backup for Azzi will depend, it may go to the best of the two if one shines over the other, or it could depend on what traits Geno is looking for in that particular game, passing and defense with Nika, or shooting and scoring with Lou.
I think this time next year, we’re going to be glad Lou chose to spend her last year of eligibility with us. I think UConn will be a better team with her than without.

Reaction Score
It may be that with Ice and Ayanna and continued growth by the existing core players, we might be a better team next year than last. I really don't think it's likely but maybe we rebound better at least and get more putbacks, South Carolina style. I'm not that worried about the shooting and if our rebounding is better I'm feeling pretty good about our 3 point shooting and offense from the guard position. We might have 3 shooters with 40% 3 point efficiency. I'm all for the best shooters shooting most of the shots, especially if our best rebounders are rebounding and we get 3 point returns from a lot of our shots. A lot of players barely get 40% efficiency from their 2 point shooting! That extra wing who can shoot the 3 probably will supplement this team well, spreading the floor, and both player movement and quick passes make this team GREAT against most defenses. She is going to be target A on defense though. That's why she comes off the bench especially when we can match her up against a non shooting player. With all the switches and screens that is a problem in itself. Maybe she's a stronger defender outside than she was at the 4 position. No doubt she will put in the effort. I saw some games where she just was pushed out of the way when trying to rebound. She was out of position against top teams at the 4. Defensively, can she move her feet well enough to defend outside? I'm glad we have added at least some depth. Near definite positive addition. I think she will fit in well with the team as well. Seems like a kid who is both motivated and able to self evaluate well. She shouldn't be a problem. This will be the best year of her life.
I will be shocked if we are not better next year! I’m a little puzzled that you seem doubtful that we will be? We will almost (knock on wood) certainly be healthier, our best players will be more experienced, the whole team will have worked on their respective game, we will be bigger, and we will have two fabulous freshmen and at least one, (possibly more) talented transfer! Plus, Aubrey!

Reaction Score
We just lost 3 top draft picks to the WNBA. That's a lot of proven talent. We replace them with 2 rookies and a portal transfer. It takes a lot of improvement in the rest of the roster to compensate for that. Still, I agree that we might be better. Just don't think it's probable.

I think also that "Chica" probably subs in for Azzi some also. She knows how to use screens and can shoot the 3. In some ways, she's a better fit in Azzi's role. I do agree that she probably subs more for Caroline.

Reaction Score
We just lost 3 top draft picks to the WNBA. That's a lot of proven talent. We replace them with 2 rookies and a portal transfer. It takes a lot of improvement in the rest of the roster to compensate for that. Still, I agree that we might be better. Just don't think it's probable.

I think also that "Chica" probably subs in for Azzi some also. She knows how to use screens and can shoot the 3. In some ways, she's a better fit in Azzi's role. I do agree that she probably subs more for Caroline.

I can't remember a year when UConn had 3 players drafted but none in the 1st round. I liked all the seniors, but a page has to be turned every year. I'm very excited to see Bueckers run things now that there's no one to defer to. My philosophy with freshmen is to assume they as good as advertised until I see that they aren't. It makes for less angst in the summer.

Reaction Score
I’m a bilingual French-English speaker in France. I can tell you that many Europeans do not have an advanced understanding of a second language. It depends on the country. In Sweden many kids watch undubbed American TV, and many speak perfect English with an American accent. In Switzerland, a tiny country with three major languages, it’s important to function in other languages.

But in many European countries, including France, where Lou grew up, most people have only one functional language. English-language instruction in French public schools often starts late, and most teachers of English are French, so most ordinary French people learn some English but are not fluent. I was recently at a friend’s apartment, and I had to explain to his 12 year old daughter a simple American phrase that was on her t-shirt.

If you visit France you might think everyone speaks English. But to get a job in a restaurant or store in a place where there are a lot of foreigners, you have to be able to speak English. Regular French people, the people you’re unlikely to meet if you’re a tourist, would be challenged to have a conversation with you.

The stereotype is that northern Europeans speak English well, and southern Europeans, such the Spanish, French, and Italians, not so well.

I’ve watched a few interviews of Lou speaking English. She speaks English very well, not surprising after four years of going to a U.S. college. She has a noticeable French accent when speaking English, which I suspect Americans would like.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I’m a bilingual French-English speaker in France. I can tell you that many Europeans do not have an advanced understanding of a second language. It depends on the country. In Sweden many kids watch undubbed American TV, and many speak perfect English with an American accent. In Switzerland, a tiny country with three major languages, it’s important to function in other languages.

But in many European countries, including France, where Lou grew up, most people have only one functional language. English-language instruction in French public schools often starts late, and most teachers of English are French, so most ordinary French people learn some English but are not fluent. I was recently at a friend’s apartment, and I had to explain to his 12 year old daughter a simple American phrase that was on her t-shirt.

If you visit France you might think everyone speaks English. But to get a job in a restaurant or store in a place where there are a lot of foreigners, you have to be able to speak English. Regular French people, the people you’re unlikely to meet if you’re a tourist, would be challenged to have a conversation with you.

The stereotype is that northern Europeans speak English well, and southern Europeans, such the Spanish, French, and Italians, not so well.

I’ve watched a few interviews of Lou speaking English. She speaks English very well, not surprising after four years of going to a U.S. college. She has a noticeable French accent when speaking English, which I suspect Americans would like.
I am definitely into our diversifying accents. Need an Aussie to fill my bingo card. I liked Adebeyo's English Accent when we had her.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Interesting. Years ago I had the opportunity to spend an extended time in France. I noticed that often when I asked people if they spoke English in causal settings they would say no, but once I said OK and switched to French they often would drop in to English and speak that with me. Some people surmised that they wanted me to make the effort, but I think that a different mechanism was at work.

I think that it may have been as simple as the standard for what it means to “speak a foreign language” in Europe being far higher than in in the US. So when I asked people, in English, whether they spoke English, they may have been reticent to say that they did because it wasn’t flawless. Once they heard my very best efforts at French, they were no longer uncomfortable about their English which was inevitably significantly better than my French.

Does that ring true to you?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wow, I just stopped in to the team's facebook page and Chica's committed photo has just 2.7k likes. Even if Facebook is on the wane that seems more than a bit underwhelming. If you have time go give it a like huh.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Something first pointed out to me by a Danish friend: There are 6 million Danish speakers worldwide (similar number for Swedish, Norwegian, and Finnish, maybe a factor of 4 or 5 more for Dutch). If you want to understand or be understood outside of your own small country, you need to speak another language, and most choose English. That's definitely not the case for French or (especially) Spanish. There aren't many German speakers outside of Germany, but there are several tens of millions within the country.

My experience (international conferences plus close work with colleagues) is that Dutch, Scandinavians, and Balts all speak VERY good English, to the extent that (as you allude) many mistake them for Yanks or Brits, and many Americans wish they could speak that well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I suspect when it comes to defense she's pretty tough. In the NCAA first round game with Texas she took a good hit to the face toward the end of the first quarter. An elbow she thought; she didn't see it. She went to the locker room and took stitching and bandaging and went out and played the rest of the game. My kind of hockey player.
Sounds very much like Caroline Doty, who had a tooth knocked out during a prep school game. Caroline played the rest of the game and then went to the dentist, who reinserted it.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Years ago I had the opportunity to spend an extended time in France. I noticed that often when I asked people if they spoke English in causal settings they would say no, but once I said OK and switched to French they often would drop in to English and speak that with me. Some people surmised that they wanted me to make the effort, but I think that a different mechanism was at work.

I think that it may have been as simple as the standard for what it means to “speak a foreign language” in Europe being far higher than in in the US. So when I asked people, in English, whether they spoke English, they may have been reticent to say that they did because it wasn’t flawless. Once they heard my very best efforts at French, they were no longer uncomfortable about their English which was inevitably significantly better than my French.

Does that ring true to you?
It’s an interesting question. There was a time when many French people did not want to speak English, and some pretended not to be able to speak English with the English and Americans. After all, these foreigners were in our country, and they should speak our language. There was a belief that French, the international language until maybe WWII, could complete against English. There was also a belief in French exceptionalism, that France has a special place in world history and in the current world.

About 15 years ago I starting seeing a lot of newspaper articles here about the death of French and by extension France itself. This fear can be seen in the growing support for Le Pen’s nationalist party rooted in fascism. I now see more insecurity and embarrassment among the French about not being able to speak English. I think a lot of foreigners here are frustrated when they try to speak French, the French will respond in English. So, yes, there has been a change. But unfortunately for the French, because English is the connecting language of the European Union, English instruction here is still terrible. Young elite French people often speak English well, but ordinary French people, not that well. Even a women I once dated who went to the École normale supérieure (which has a reputation similar to Harvard’s) couldn’t understand American films or television without subtitles. Macron is the first French president who can have conversations with world leaders in English.

Given that Americans who study French generally focus on reading and writing and not speaking, a conversation between an American and an ordinary French person can be a challenge. Because I’m bilingual, this is not a concern in my life, and I’m not sure if the idea of being able to speak a foreign language is different here. Maybe it is.

A curious fact. Because the growing population of French-speaking Africans, French is projected by the investment bank Natixis and others to be the most widely spoken language in the world by 2050. That might be over optimistic, but the growth is good nonetheless, because once people stop speaking French, the culture will die, as will France.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing Lou play.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Something first pointed out to me by a Danish friend: There are 6 million Danish speakers worldwide (similar number for Swedish, Norwegian, and Finnish, maybe a factor of 4 or 5 more for Dutch). If you want to understand or be understood outside of your own small country, you need to speak another language, and most choose English. That's definitely not the case for French or (especially) Spanish. There aren't many German speakers outside of Germany, but there are several tens of millions within the country.

My experience (international conferences plus close work with colleagues) is that Dutch, Scandinavians, and Balts all speak VERY good English, to the extent that (as you allude) many mistake them for Yanks or Brits, and many Americans wish they could speak that well.
I spent 16.5 years of my 24 years in the Army overseas, 15.5 in Europe, one of those deployed to the Middle East and one in Korea. I was in Germany for almost 12 years and the Netherlands for 3.5 years. My wife is German and she spoke some English when I met her and when we moved to the U.S. for the first time she spoke well enough to have people ask her what part of the U.S. was she from. While the rest of her sisters speak limited English, her Nephews and Nieces speak well enough to carry a conversation in English.

I would say that the Dutch people spoke English percentage wise more than any other non English speaking country. Even though it is required to take English in most European Countries the Dutch seem to take it up a notch vs the other Europeans. Many of my Dutch friends explained it to me that one of the reason why so many speak English is because of their parents and grandparents believed it was the one way that they could show their gratitude to the U.S. and England for freeing them from Nazi Germany during WW II.

Reaction Score

My Scandanavian friends have the most impressive language skills of all the Europeans I know...........most speak three or four languages and one speaks six.........I lived in Sweden for six months back in the 90's and rarely met anyone that didn't speak fluent English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom