Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is wonderful news. Lou2 is smart, versatile and she can light it up from the arc. A big guard who fills a clear need by the Huskies to add depth at G/W next season.

While I wouldn’t mind another player, just because a 12 player roster feels better than 11, I am absolutely OK chasing a 12th banner with the current roster as it stands.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's really hard for UConn to find quality players in the portal that are willing to come off the bench with no guaranteed minutes..........I'm glad LLS was willing to make that sacrifice.......having another proficient three point shooter is certainly a good thing.....

Reaction Score
I need to ask a real question. Is this going to be another Adebeyo who could not play at the pace of UConn coming from a smaller program?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

OK, just who is our newest member of the family?​

Lou Lopez-Senechal Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

A reprint of CTPost article already posted in case you missed it.

Fairfield basketball standout Lou Lopez-Senechal is seeking new challenge. Could she land at UConn?​

Lopez-Senechal is coming off a season she refers to as “the cherry on top” of her time at Fairfield. She was the MAAC player of the year as a senior, when she was named a first-team all-conference player for the third time.
“Lou is a phenomenal shooter and a true jump shooter, not a set shooter,” Frager said. “At 6-1, when she rises up, she’s able to get that shot off very well. She does a nice job reading screens, which has gotten better over four years, and she’s really developed a scoring mentality.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I like it as well but 1 question can she rebound bcuz that was our achilles heel in the championship game we shot at a higher pct. than South Carolina and I suspect we'll have a higher shooting next year as well but we can't keep giving up 3 shot attempts to our 1...But welcome aboard Lou we wish you the best
Lou is a wing/guard that averaged 4.7 rebounds.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I need to ask a real question. Is this going to be another Adebeyo who could not play at the pace of UConn coming from a smaller program?
I mentioned the UConn men’s PG this past year was RJ Cole who ended up as First Team Big East and one of the best players on the team. He was a transfer from a smaller school, Howard, and he turned out to be a steal. And Lou did very well against the ranked teams she played this year (Indiana and Texas). Let’s give her a chance before wondering if she’s a bust

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here’s a better comparison. Nicole Cardano-Hillary who transferred from mid-major George Mason to IN. She’s from Spain, played guard at GM, setting the school scoring record before transferring to IN. This past season she was 2nd team All Big 10 and 1st team all Defense.

In the Sweet 16 game she played solidly vs UConn, displaying exceptional quickness with the consistent ability to break down UConn’s guards off the dribble.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I like it!

Pez_NIL.jpg

This just screems NIL!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yay! She fills our shooting guard need. She has 4 years of college, plus international experience. She was the Conference POY. I’m very happy!
Milford, I do believe that you were the very first BY’er to raise the prospect of Lou2 transferring to UConn way back at the end of March. Kudos for your prescient observation. :cool:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Watch the video of the Fairfield's championship game against Manhattan. She averaged nearly 20 a game getting tons of extra defensive pressure from the opposition. I don't know if she can defend like Caroline but her offensive skill set is similar.

Reaction Score
THIS is the news I've been waiting for ALL WEEK! I knew Geno was not going to stand pat. I just wasn't sure which direction he was going in. I figured he was looking for a high character player that also filled a need. Check and check. She is a great get for us.

I was getting tired of reading about coveted transfers committing to other programs. She will help us right away. Lou coming in balances the scales. We lost 3 to graduation, we gain 3 with her and our two incoming freshmen. Carnac is happy! :D
And lost 3 to transferring

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony's article on LLS:

She spent a year at a basketball academy in Ireland before coming to the United States. With help from her American step-father, she initiated most of the steps in her recruiting process, reaching out to colleges. Frager said Lopez-Senechal flew under the radar of many programs and that he probably wouldn’t have been able to sign her if she had the exposure that comes with playing high school and AAU ball in America.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not to derail the thread, but Adebayo was a 6'1" post player with no mid-range or outside game. As well as she did in the lesser conference, she was no Morrow, who as an undersized post was a beast, and she simply could not excel at the level needed to succeed at UCONN.

Lou is a guard. I have no idea how good she will be. I'm hoping she's similar to Makurat, who was totally capable of playing at an elite level. I'm thrilled we have her and look forward to seeing her play and mesh with her new teammates.

I know Fairfield tried very hard to keep her, but Lou wants to play professionally and had publicly said that she wanted to go to a place that could help her achieve that goal.

Welcome to UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
Here’s a better comparison. Nicole Cardano-Hillary who transferred from mid-major George Mason to IN. She’s from Spain, played guard at GM, setting the school scoring record before transferring to IN. This past season she was 2nd team All Big 10 and 1st team all Defense.

In the Sweet 16 game she played solidly vs UConn, displaying exceptional quickness with the consistent ability to break down UConn’s guards off the dribble.
from the limited video I've seen it appears that LLS is a better shooter than NCH but does not have her same quickness or ball handling skills.........I'm hopeful she will fit in well against better competition.......

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I mentioned the UConn men’s PG this past year was RJ Cole who ended up as First Team Big East and one of the best players on the team. He was a transfer from a smaller school, Howard, and he turned out to be a steal. And Lou did very well against the ranked teams she played this year (Indiana and Texas). Let’s give her a chance before wondering if she’s a bust
I don't know what makes people take the negative path every time. Thanks for the redirection, Nan. However, I say it doesn't matter what R.J. or any other male or female player did as an indicator Lou2's potential. Everyone is different. They have different skill sets and different abilities to dig down and get that stretch level of performance. But I do agree with Nan's R.J. comparison as proof that performance from a smaller program transfer to the big stage is certainly possible. From my POV, R.J.'s biggest attribute was his brain and desire. In the games we watched on TV where you could see his face, you could feel his intensity and desire. My wife and I would comment on his eye – especially when he had "the look." He was a man on a mission. You can't help but love the guy. If Lou2 shares those attributes she will be a great addition to our already-great backcourt. Welcome to UConn. Looking forward to seeing this team come together in November.
Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
THIS is the news I've been waiting for ALL WEEK! I knew Geno was not going to stand pat. I just wasn't sure which direction he was going in. I figured he was looking for a high character player that also filled a need. Check and check. She is a great get for us.

I was getting tired of reading about coveted transfers committing to other programs. She will help us right away. Lou coming in balances the scales. We lost 3 to graduation, we gain 3 with her and our two incoming freshmen. Carnac is happy! :D
Thinking she replaces Evina to a T. And a good shooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01