Lou Brock has died. | The Boneyard

Lou Brock has died.

Reaction Score
I got you covered.

Lifelong Cardinal fan and he was one of my favorites for sure. I remember a little of Gibson but Brock and Ozzie were my hero's when I was a kid.
In 67 against the Red Sox he was unbelievable. Him, Flood, Mike Shannon, McCarver, Cepeda, Gibson was the ace.

Reaction Score
In 67 against the Red Sox he was unbelievable. Him, Flood, Mike Shannon, McCarver, Cepeda, Gibson was the ace.
Don’t forget Roger Maris in right. Jim Lonborg pitched well for the Sox until game 7 on two day’s rest.

Last edited:

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
In October 1968 I was home from school for a week with pneumonia. It was during the World Series, and I latched onto Lou Brock and the Cardinals. RIP Lou.

Reaction Score
In October 1968 I was home from school for a week with pneumonia. It was during the World Series, and I latched onto Lou Brock and the Cardinals. RIP Lou.
That was when they played the series during the day. I listened to the games on my translator radio in grade school. 1967 was the first year that I followed baseball

Reaction Score
Back when baseball was baseball and as a kid we’d come home from school able to watch the World Series games during the day on TV. Lou Brock and Bob Gibson were the men. Lou was a treat to watch hit, run, field what a player and man.

RIP Lou Brock

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I started watching baseball in 66, only the series. 1967 I followed the race between the Tigers, Twins, White Sox and Red Sox. I was pulling for the Tigers because I like Al Kaline. I did root for the Sox in the series, but got my revenge the next year when the Tigers won it all.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
67 was the first year I paid attention to the Series, (I was 6) and went for the Cards over the Sox, since the rest of the kids in the neighborhood were Sox fans and my dad was a Cards fan. Had a Gibson poster on my wall after that for years.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Cardinals fans but Brock's 1974 run (pun intended) to break Maury Wills stolen base record was one of my most memorable seasons. The only time we got to see him was on Saturdays's Game of the Week and Monday Night Baseball and every game that featured the Cardinals, it felt like Brock was in the middle of the action.

Reaction Score
For kids of the 70s he was an immortal. A transcendent athlete that was terrifying for opponents once on base. A Lou Brock baseball card was gold. For younger folks the comp is Deion Sanders, an athlete whose speed impacted the game so profoundly that his legend and aura became bigger than the game.

Reaction Score
I know you're on a mission but I distinctly said Brockabrella.
Although there is this.
In December 1880, there was a patent taken out on the umbrella hat, patent 250,803.[1]

Robert W. Patten claimed that he invented the umbrella hat while he was prospecting in Mexico. His original hat also included a mosquito net attached to the canopy. Patten moved to Seattle in the 1890s and was dubbed the Umbrella Man. He then became a repairman for umbrellas, and inspired a cartoon from John Hager, depicting Robert Patten with his umbrella hat.[2] Patten was seen as eccentric, and Hager's cartoons of him were comic.

American baseball Hall of Famer Lou Brock was an aficionado and promoted and sold a version called the "brockabrella," giving the device a bit of popularity in St. Louis in the mid 20th century.[3][4]

Today, the umbrella hat has advanced considerably. It is often associated as a cheap and comical novelty item, but it can be used to shield a person against rain or sunshine hands-free. Umbrella Hats are particularly useful to wheelchair users who need the use of both hands in the rain. It is also useful for gardeners, cyclists, walkers, shoppers, hunters, fishers, political canvassers and general manual laborers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I know you're on a mission but I distinctly said Brockabrella.

I am on a mission - to get people to stop buying wasteful packaging. I'll be dealing with that a lot on the food site I'm currently building.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom