Lou’s injury | The Boneyard

Lou’s injury

Reaction Score
Read up on back spasms. A minor one takes a few days to heal... A more severe one can take up to 4-6 weeks to heal and the most serious can take up to 10 weeks to heal. So depending on the injury it could seriously affect our chances in the tournament. Let’s all pray it’s just a minor strain/ spasm and she will be able to go on a few days of rest. Back injuries are never good especially playing a contact sport and a lot of movement and motion. It needs a lot of rest. Feel horrible for Lou and especially on senior day. My heart aches for her. Get well soon Lou!!!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well hopefully the fact that is already in top condition, her young age and has a world class medical support system will keep it to a minimum. That's the thing about reading about medical conditions. The eyes tend to stray to the worst case scenarios.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If you have ever had back problems/ back spasms you know that reading about it is not always a good thing to do.

I have a bad back. I can get a spasm that will hurt like you know what. A day later with heat and ice and motrin I will most likely be fine. And I'm not 22 any more! With the medical care available and Lou's physical conditioning, I would not be overly worried.

Reaction Score
I think the big divide is whether it's just a spasm, or whether it's a disk herniation. If it's the former, she'll be fine; if it's the latter, it's a career-influencing injury.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
OMG. We've gone from missing 10 weeks to her career being possibly over. Boneyard MD strikes again.

Glad our guys don't peek in. :confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve had a couple hundred back spasms in my life, including knee buckling ones, when I couldn’t even walk. Worse case, I was back to normal in 3 days, and even at my youthful best, I was never as well conditioned as Lou. I fully expect Lou to be back in the lineup at USF on Monday.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The team stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Ruston prior to the LA Tech game, I think in 2001. We all watched the Giants - Eagles playoff game in the hotel lounge prior to the game. Our game was on Sunday night. Leon Barmore was still their coach. I love Leon...very funny man and a great coach.

Get well, Lou!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A couple of years ago the Boneyard MDs told us Lou had a lisfranc injury to her foot -- she didn't -- and that her foot would never be 100% -- it has been. We'll see how how they do on the back injury. Good luck Lou.

Reaction Score
Healthwise we've been preety darn lucky so far. We are only one injury away from missing the elite eight.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’ve had several. One when I was late 20s took 2 weeks before I was somewhat comfortable. My last one, about 7 years ago was horrible. Couldn’t stand up. But a chiropractor had me standing up after one session and back to normal in about a week. My milder ones were resolved in a few days. Backs are one thing I trust with Chiropractors. The sports trainers are good with it too. My chiropractor is both.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The official hotel of the Boneyard for 20+ years. :D

Of course. Two things are certain after a UConn player suffers an injury: First, we'll read drive-by diagnoses from the Boneyard medical experts; and second, posters will tell us about their experiences with a similar injury.

Get well Lou!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I was walking into my down-town office back in the days...I must have been 40 and just fell down in a heap and couldn't move.

Forgot how it was treated, but here we are...almost 40 years later and I never suffered another one again. Strange.

Just back from a day (well 2/3 of a day) at Snowmass...positively wonderful.

By the way Cohen....I don't trust chiropractors for anything.

Reaction Score
Of course. Two things are certain after a UConn player suffers an injury: First, we'll read drive-by diagnoses from the Boneyard medical experts; and second, posters will tell us about their experiences with a similar injury.

It gets boring just being a HOF-level coach. The BY expertise knows no bounds.

Reaction Score
And to chime in on my own: my one comment is that back issues are HIGHLY idiosyncratic.

I've been given all sorts of advice by non-MDs over the years, much of which turned out to be bad for me ("No sir, a hard bed is bad for you, this bed gives your back constant support." Im sure it does, but it sucked for me.) Other things worked great.

Message: there's a good chance your particular back experience is not relevant here.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think the big divide is whether it's just a spasm, or whether it's a disk herniation. If it's the former, she'll be fine; if it's the latter, it's a career-influencing injury.
The medical staff wouldn’t have allowed Lou to attempt to play in the second half if she’d had a herniated disc

Man can this crowd see any more doom and gloom? Honestly, I’ve never seen so many pessimists in my life

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IBy the way Cohen....I don't trust chiropractors for anything.
Me either. They aren’t MD’s. One had a booth at a local home show :rolleyes: and he told me he could cure my allergies. I can’t believe how many people use them for their doctors

Reaction Score
Me either. They aren’t MD’s. One had a booth at a local home show :rolleyes: and he told me he could cure my allergies. I can’t believe how many people use them for their doctors

I've found them helpful at providing near-term relief for back issues.
But some of them are "out there."

Reaction Score
Back spasms are pure agony. One time I had them so bad I couldn't feel my legs or stand up and ended up in the hospital. Six weeks of physical therapy followed (traction is your friend!). I pray hers were/are nowhere near as bad as that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom