Lots of thoughts. | The Boneyard

Lots of thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This will probably be a ramble, but so be it. I'm old and you're a captive audience.

1) Oh, my god. Do you know how unbearable Deepster is gonna be after this? The Senhor thread, which unfortunately seems to have been deleted, was as close to the old Boneyard as we've been in many years. Well done.

2) I was not 100% on board with the Ollie hire at the time. I wasn't crazy about Calhoun forcing the school's hand when people like Shaka Smart were out there and interested. Well, I'm good with it now.

3) I wasn't crazy about a coaching staff where it seemed that the only prerequisite was that you had to have played for UConn. Well, I saw Ricky Moore hugging Kevin Freeman on the court tonight. I'm good with it now.

4) When we lost to SMU for the second time, I told anyone who would listen that Ollie seemed to have no answer whenever he was matched against an experienced coach. Martelli, Wright, Izzo, Donovan, Calipari...gone, gone, gone, gone and gone.

5) The mojo requirements for these championship games is becoming time consuming. Tonight, I left work early specifically because I knew I had to go somewhere and find Rolling Rock beer. I bought a 25 ounce can of of it at a gas station which just absolutely puts my in hayseed territory.

During the Michigan State game, I got so nervous that I drove to the local state park's hiking trails at half time and I watched the rest of the game on my phone two miles deep in the woods. So I went back there at the start of the Florida game because, well, it worked. So...I went there tonight and was worried that simply stepping foot onto the trail head might not be enough, but it was dark and there are black bears there.

When Kentucky got down to one in the second half, I got nervous again and I watched the rest of the game on my phone standing in my yard. I will freeze to death during a game next winter.

6) Four titles. It's an insane number. That's more than Kansas and as many as Duke. UConn's three titles were somehow minimized - it'll be very difficult for that to happen with four. Related note - I can't believe Ollie told Gampel that he'd be bringing a trophy back and then did it.

7) One of the things that most impressed me about Kevin Ollie during the tournament is how foul trouble never bothered him and he never let it bother the team. Brimah and Nolan ran around the Final Four with four fouls - Brimah had his fourth with more than ten minutes to play and it didn't even seem like an event. He shifts his defenses and the beat goes on.

8) Another thing that impressed - we had a very Calhoun-like progression. The defense in the early season was a little sketchy and the interior guys were downright deficient. The defense in the tournament was relentless and took the legs away from some very good teams. And Ryan Boatright, who takes all sorts of crap here, played six tremendous basketball games on both sides of the ball.

9) Don't want to hear that UConn was lucky or that they had an easy road. Don't want to hear it at all. The 7-seed thing was nonsense - there's nothing overly shocking about a top-20 team winning a title.

UConn beat the #1, #7, #9, #13, #22 and #32 teams in the last coaches' poll. They took out the number one overall seed, the wise-guy pick to win the whole thing, a two-seed, etc., etc. They were favored once in the NCAA tournament and that was by one over St. Joe's. They were simply the best defensive team and the toughest team in the dance - and that wins.

10) Where does Shabazz land on our Mt. Rushmore? Ah, wherever he wants. Two rings, consensus All-American, Cousy Award, conference POTY, NCAA tourney MOP, etc. There's more drama in Mariano Rivera's first hall of fame ballot appearance than whether Bazz is heading to the Huskies of Honor wall.

11) Napier, Olander and Giffey were plan C or plan D recruits. When the year ends, they'll have six rings and three diplomas between 'em. Well done, gentlemen.

12) The single most important play of our season - Amida Brimah's offensive rebound and put back/and-one against St. Joe's. It was actually pretty easy from that point on.

13) How fast did Emmert get off the stage after the game? The NCAA president doesn't say a word and then scrambles off the stage without shaking a hand or patting a back. A lackey hands over the hardware.

14) In a world without UConn, Kentucky and Duke have two more titles a piece. (Syracuse would still only have one.)

15) As a program, we have over 13 minutes of One Shining Moments. Here's about three minutes of 'em for you...

Reaction Score
Your level of superstition worries me, but the defining characteristic of this team was 100% the guard defense and how they'd lock down on primary handlers and how Ollie convinced giff and daniels to crash the boards more and be more physical.

We never saw a team this entire tournament that was comfortable with our defense. Ollie's substitutions were also near flawless. It might be sacrilegious to say but imo Ollie is a better in game coach than Calhoun

Reaction Score
Awesome post. I still can't believe Ollie's statement at Gampel on senior's night. I confess, I wanted to believe but was not completely on board. The win over Rutgers that night was not impressive, and the following game against Louisville was impressive, but in the wrong way. Who makes that kind of statement and then backs it up, especially a guy that is not prone to false bravado and boasting? Apparently only one guy, the coach of our beloved Huskies.

Reaction Score
Great post. Could not agree more.

This win provides credibility to a coach and a program which should have had nothing to proove, but somehow are never given the proper respect by the National Media or the college basketball community.

Kevin Ollie had proven himself a very good recruiter before, despite a lack of head coaching experience and a shaky conference situation. I cannot imagine what effect this will have. When you combine his amazing demeanor and character, with the "awe factor" amongst kids and parents which should be associated with this accomplishment, it could lead to some special talent passing through Storrs.

Its an amazing feeling to see Uconn put to rest all Blue Bood arguments. Its not a matter of whether they belong amonst the big boys, but rather where they stand within that group (looking down at Indiana, at a minimum).

Winning 2 in 4 years is an amazing accomplishment. Winning 2 in 4 years when you also have your conference fall apart, 2 lottery picks enter the draft, 2 starters transfer, a hall of fame coach retire, and a post-season ban, is unfathomable.

Reaction Score
Great post. Could not agree more.

This win provides credibility to a coach and a program which should have had nothing to proove, but somehow are never given the proper respect by the National Media or the college basketball community.

Kevin Ollie had proven himself a very good recruiter before, despite a lack of head coaching experience and a shaky conference situation. I cannot imagine what effect this will have. When you combine his amazing demeanor and character, with the "awe factor" amongst kids and parents which should be associated with this accomplishment, it could lead to some special talent passing through Storrs.

Its an amazing feeling to see Uconn put to rest all Blue Bood arguments. Its not a matter of whether they belong amonst the big boys, but rather where they stand within that group (looking down at Indiana, at a minimum).

Winning 2 in 4 years is an amazing accomplishment. Winning 2 in 4 years when you also have your conference fall apart, 2 lottery picks enter the draft, 2 starters transfer, a hall of fame coach retire, and a post-season ban, is unfathomable.

I'd even say you're understating. We have a better resume than indy and KU at a minimum, and Calhoun isn't just a HoF, he's by almost any measure one of the best 4-5 coaches ever

Reaction Score
Great stuff…..

#5 once again lost half a glass of OJ……..LOL

Reaction Score
Outstanding Fishy! REALLY,REALLY well done. I would simply add that we have Kevin Ollie and nobody else does. This guy is young. Does 10 National Championships sound unreasonable?!
628x471.jpg

And by the way a student at Gampel had a sign that added a new word to Husky fan vocabulary.
500x333

GO HUSKIES!!!
FOUR TIME NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPION!!!

Reaction Score
Awesome post. Your initial feelings about hiring KO mirror mine. I was also a skeptic. He had never been a head coach. I remember saying you don't hand over the keys to a Maserati to an inexperienced driver. Wow, was I wrong. We hired Mario Andretti! And while I originally thought the campaign to hire KO was more about Calhoun's ego in naming a successor, it now says boatloads about Calhoun's judgement. In the end, while rightfully exercising their due diligence, Manuel and Herbst became convinced too. Now, if we can only convince Mr. Mushnick :)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree on #3. I would have expected at least one outsider just to mix things up. It seems to be working though.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
About bears - they are 400 lb racoons. I've been stepped on by them (Yosemite Valley) had one stick it nose in my face (I sleep in a bivvy not a tent) and had numerous ones walk into camp when I was cooking. They are 400 lb racoons, and easily dismissed.
Now grizz, that's another story. You've heard of fight or flight - they don't have that second response it's eat you or not eat you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great post. Fittingly, mostly it reflects on Kevin Ollie. I was fine with Ollie as a provisional hire, because Calhoun gave us no choice. Now I understand why he gave us no choice. Kevin is the right guy, and actually can take UConn to new places. Jim wasn't liked by many outside Connecticut, Ollie is loved by everybody. It puts UConn championships in a new light now, doing it under multiple coaches. I'm proud of the way he coached them up, got them to play defense in particular. Our guard D was absolutely awful at times this year. He also brought his belief in superior conditioning, and it showed. Every team we played was exhausted, and we were fresh.

Reaction Score
HOFamer Calhoun had some warts, but basketball wise we learned to trust his steady hand at the wheel. He built the program on sheer force of will and by finding diamonds in the rough that grew to embody that stubborn belief. I think it is very similar to Coach Norman Dales speech in Huskiers; "Let me make one thing perfectly clear, when it comes to this UConn basketball team my word is THE LAW...No exceptions! "

PS - Shaka Smart or anyone else doesn't let JC in the locker room to gameplan for each NCAA tourney game. We had two coaches thanks to strength and humility of both KO & JC

Reaction Score
I'd even say you're understating. We have a better resume than indy and KU at a minimum, and Calhoun isn't just a HoF, he's by almost any measure one of the best 4-5 coaches ever
I think it all depends on how much value you put on championships relative to other aspects: Final Fours, All-Americans, Conference Titles, etc.

Championships should be the most important, but when a team has one fewer title, but amost 3x as many Final Fours, and 3.5x as many different consensus AAs, I think that they have an argument that they are the better team historically. I'm not saying that's right, but I don't think more titles is a slam dunk when it's only one more title.

As for Calhoun: yes. He's one of just 5 coaches with more than 2 titles. One of those did it before the Civil Rights era, and another largely in an era when freshmen weren't allowed to play, and everyone stayed 4 years. Not to discredit them, but those were a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Awesome post. I still can't believe Ollie's statement at Gampel on senior's night. I confess, I wanted to believe but was not completely on board. The win over Rutgers that night was not impressive, and the following game against Louisville was impressive, but in the wrong way. Who makes that kind of statement and then backs it up, especially a guy that is not prone to false bravado and boasting? Apparently only one guy, the coach of our beloved Huskies.
The guy with UNREALISTIC expectations. The guy that takes the stairs.

Reaction Score
Emmert. This is my first read since the GAME, and maybe it's been discussed below, but what a picture that was. I'd like to see a replay of him having to stand there on the podium. The only one missing was Jim Calhoun. Emmert looked like he he was having a diverticulitis attack and a diarrhea attack all at the same time. Phony smile pasted on his testicle-like face. Not a word from him. He's an embarrassment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it all depends on how much value you put on championships relative to other aspects: Final Fours, All-Americans, Conference Titles, etc.

Championships should be the most important, but when a team has one fewer title, but amost 3x as many Final Fours, and 3.5x as many different consensus AAs, I think that they have an argument that they are the better team historically. I'm not saying that's right, but I don't think more titles is a slam dunk when it's only one more title.

As for Calhoun: yes. He's one of just 5 coaches with more than 2 titles. One of those did it before the Civil Rights era, and another largely in an era when freshmen weren't allowed to play, and everyone stayed 4 years. Not to discredit them, but those were a long time ago.

I tend to agree, but these are just arbitrary lists. It doesn't matter. I graduated from UConn and Kansas, so the order doesn't really matter to me. Kansas has fewer titles now, but is the 2nd winningest program all time. UConn isn't close to the top ten in all time wins, so lacks the history. But if you consider the women as well, I don't think anyone else can make a better case to be basketball U.

Reaction Score
Woods?

Back in the early 90s, we were on TV occasionally. On the off days, I would drive from my home south of Albany East ... until I picked up the RADIO broadcast of Joe D and Wayne. I would find a off-ramp in Western Mass & freeze listening to a Win. And, then I simply had to get to the same spot the next game.

It still is the same. The passion and the connection. Maybe someday ... all of us will open our wallets wider for this school.

As Kevin Ollie says ... I love you guys. And LOVE is all around us in UConn Husky Nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom