Lots of love for Hawk | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lots of love for Hawk

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
The Providence game solidified Hawkins status for me. Devin Carter is a pest on defense and Hawkins still lit him up.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Amazing Hawk gets very little NBE weekly recognition. Very strange but it doesn’t live in his head.

Reaction Score
The Providence game solidified Hawkins status for me. Devin Carter is a pest on defense and Hawkins still lit him up.
Devin Carter is a lock down defender and a candidate for Defensive POY in the Big East. Carter, AJax, and Kalkbrenner are top 3 candidates for this award IMO.

Take a look at this Nova game at the AMP. I only got back home to Boston for the 2nd half of that game as I was at the UConn-Seton Hall game at Gampel that day.

We all know how much Caleb Daniels and Justin Moore can score and bully their way in the post and Carter was having none of it. He had Daniels all out of sorts.

Here are the timestamps.
36:09
44:28
45:10
48:45
49:32- 49:48 - he appears to say something to Justin Moore and Justin tries to back him down in the post in retaliation and gets shutdown by Carter

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not yet. Jeremy is so underrated by some of our fans who always seem to forget how he took over some games during the NC run.
I love Hawk, but I have to see him have that kind of impact on the big stage first.
very much so. I hate when people say or insinuate that 2011 NC team was a " one man team". Obviously Kemba was the most important player on the team and IMO the best player in the country that year (don't give a damn about the awards), but that team really hit their apex when it counted (BET and NCAAT) and a lot of players made good contributions on that team.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
very much so. I hate when people say or insinuate that 2011 NC team was a " one man team". Obviously Kemba was the most important player on the team and IMO the best player in the country that year (don't give a damn about the awards), but that team really hit their apex when it counted (BET and NCAAT) and a lot of players made good contributions on that team.
He became such an effortless scorer his sophomore year 2. He could put it in the hoop from anywhere on the floor.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Imagine how good JH would be playing with a pg like Kemba. 2011 was not a one man team. 2014 was closer to a one man team than 2011.

Reaction Score
Jordan has the “eye of the tiger” now... His eyes light up when he’s out on the court and he’s seeing the game much better. His athleticism and skill never in question but watching him bring it all together is something special. With all the G League stuff, I would recommend he stay though if projected outside of the top 13 for NBA draft. He is a lottery pick waiting to happen whether this year or next.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Jordan has the “eye of the tiger” now... His eyes light up when he’s out on the court and he’s seeing the game much better. His athleticism and skill never in question but watching him bring it all together is something special. With all the G League stuff, I would recommend he stay though if projected outside of the top 13 for NBA draft. He is a lottery pick waiting to happen whether this year or next.
Agree his is a lottery pick if he stays. But just say he puts the team on his shoulders, even though he does not have to, and we get to the final four and maybe get to a national final. If he plays like he has been he could be a lottery pick this year. I watch a lot of college basketball and he is the best two guard in the country and I don’t think it is close. At least from how I see his game translating at the next level. This kid is going to be very good if not a star at the next level.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how many 'Yarders think making 4 million $ next year, with a full-time NBA staff, no practice restrictions, and a private chef... is a BAD idea.

Jordan is going to improve faster in the league than he will in college. Duh.
I would create a long list of guys who left for the pros one year too soon, but why bother. I hole I am wrong. We just watched a guy leave one year too soon. The NBA isn't a place you go to develop. Polish, yes. Develop, not so much.

caw

Reaction Score

If you get bored watch some of the games to start the year. Hawkins has grown so much since the beginning of the year. His shot is still the same but his off ball movement is so much better, not to mention his versatility at attacking the rim. It's really kind of strange re-watching the out of conference stuff. Hawk wasn't running around like a madman but was getting open shots from simple swing passes as defenders turned their heads and ball watched. In BE play it seems like Hawkins man rarely is further than arms length and usually two+ defenders are keeping an eye on him. If opponents defense regresses at all in NCAAT play, Hawkins could be in for a very nice March run.

Reaction Score
If you get bored watch some of the games to start the year. Hawkins has grown so much since the beginning of the year. His shot is still the same but his off ball movement is so much better, not to mention his versatility at attacking the rim. It's really kind of strange re-watching the out of conference stuff. Hawk wasn't running around like a madman but was getting open shots from simple swing passes as defenders turned their heads and ball watched. In BE play it seems like Hawkins man rarely is further than arms length and usually two+ defenders are keeping an eye on him. If opponents defense regresses at all in NCAAT play, Hawkins could be in for a very nice March run.

Rather keen observations!

All in all, we got a great coach in Hurley! I know I have been a critic of his coaching in the past. But to keep in perspective,
He checked almost all the boxes being a HOF coach when all said and done. The only weakness in his bag is in game coach but he is a good listener, learner with unparalleled passion. I’d take him over anyone.

Reaction Score
He checked almost all the boxes being a HOF coach when all said and done.

I think we can dial that back until we have a single NCAAT win. Tourney > anything and we haven't done in his 5 seasons here. The terrible record in close games is a reasonable concern as well.

He checks a lot of boxes and I think he's a solid coach, but he isn't remotely close to being on track for a HOF career right now. A BET title or Elite 8 run this month will be an important step.

Reaction Score
No question Hawk came to Storrs with tremendous potential and skill set.. I would say Hawk is Exhibit A to demonstrate how UConn/Dan and staff can help develop talent to prepare them for the next level. SnC/skill development/life skills enhanced by mentoring, etc. Hawk came in raw and has positioned himself for a big pay day and long NBA career in the not- to- distant future. Hawk will be an example of player development that recruits and their families should be looking at.. Great job Dan and staff.

Reaction Score
I think we can dial that back until we have a single NCAAT win. Tourney > anything and we haven't done in his 5 seasons here. The terrible record in close games is a reasonable concern as well.

He checks a lot of boxes and I think he's a solid coach, but he isn't remotely close to being on track for a HOF career right now. A BET title or Elite 8 run this month will be an important step.
Hurley has the first and second leading conference scorers, the odds on freshman of the year, the second best offensive rebounding team in the nation, a point guard that has had two triple doubles, a DPOY candidate, yet somehow the team is in fifth place in the conference.
Before he gets elected to the HOF, that will have to be reconciled.

Reaction Score
Amazing Hawk gets very little NBE weekly recognition. Very strange but it doesn’t live in his head.
People don’t realize he LEADS the Big East in scoring in conference games. His Freshman to Sophomore leap has been incredible.
943AE867-6B15-4DEE-A164-3BBEAAD323C5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would create a long list of guys who left for the pros one year too soon, but why bother. I hole I am wrong. We just watched a guy leave one year too soon. The NBA isn't a place you go to develop. Polish, yes. Develop, not so much.
At least guys who go too soon get millions. KEA left a year too late and got nothing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not yet. Jeremy is so underrated by some of our fans who always seem to forget how he took over some games during the NC run.
I love Hawk, but I have to see him have that kind of impact on the big stage first.
His block of Shelvin Mack's jump shot about 25-feet out to start the NC messed with Mack's head for the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
Jordan Hawkins will be a success story for the program of how a player, under DH, can reach full potential while in UConn uniform. He is almost a perfect example of development. I especially like his development playing D - from a liability to a nightmare for other teams.

My comment about lottery pick is that he maybe unlike Bouknight in my eyes has clear top 5 potential - starting to look like a little MJ out there - and he should stick around if for any reason his projections drops below a lottery pick - he’s that good!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Jordan Hawkins will be a success story for the program of how a player, under DH, can reach full potential while in UConn uniform. He is almost a perfect example of development. I especially like his development playing D - from a liability to a nightmare for other teams.

My comment about lottery pick is that he maybe unlike Bouknight in my eyes has clear top 5 potential - starting to look like a little MJ out there - and he should stick around if for any reason his projections drops below a lottery pick - he’s that good!
This website is free.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom