Loss is on Hurley: | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Loss is on Hurley:

Reaction Score
The sub patterns are a big problem it's almost right there with giving the four year guards carte blanche. We have two great players and we aren't really drawing up anything for them.

The out of bounds lob to Akok was pretty sweet. Agreed on your other points.

Reaction Score
He didn't do the hockey substitutions tonight. I think the problem was that Bouk was frozen by a big game on national TV, and that caused all the rest of the issues. I don't think you can blame Hurley for that, and I don't think that will be an issue for Bouk that continues beyond this game.
Gilbert started the game running the show pretty well and distributing the ball, when he went out for basically 10 minutes And vital ran the show the offense went completely stagnant. I thought his mistake was not bringing Gilbert back in at that point. He would have at least calmed things down in my opinion and stemmed the tide of that run

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did anyone else have a problem with this...my dad kept harping on it, and it may sum up the title of thread.

We were up 9-10 points early, and then all of a sudden there's 4 bench players in the game with Carlton. We lose big Mo, and then the whole game.
Sadly, or not, I fell asleep right around the time that he made that first hockey line substitution. I had been up since 4:30 a.m. yesterday and I had a few drinks, so I knew there was a good chance I would not make it though the game The last thing I remember thinking is "Why is he messing with this now?" Next thing I knew it was 1:30 a.m. and I had to check my ESPN app for the score. I recorded the game and I will now delete it without watching the rest, but yes I think the wholesale substitution patterns are unwise when we are up by a good margin.

My Dad used to be a poker player back in the day, and he always used to say "Don't kill the singing bird" if he kept the same game in dealer's choice when it was his turn to deal and had just won the hand. That's what pops in my head when I see those mass substitutions when things are going well.

Reaction Score
We have 22 turnovers and we’re talking about how DH is to blame?

God you guys kill me. We just sucked tonight.
There is enough blame to go around. But half of those turnovers come from 2 players that got more time than anything else. The lack of ability to adjust or try something different was lacking imo.

Reaction Score
No, not all on Hurley. Again comes down to shot selection, basketball smarts, situational percentages and hero ball. This team has improved no doubt but at key times, they still lack the ability to know what type of shot and when to take it. There were chances at the end to swing the game back in their direction but didn’t take the high % shot and well, you see what happens. Simply can’t get away with those decisions against good teams as Hurley has said. Yes the buck stops there, but ultimately you need guards to execute the correct shot selection at key moments in order to win. Having said that, this program is trending in the right direction. This team will make the tourney. Go UC

Reaction Score
The substitution patterns are hot garbage right now. Subbing 4-5 guys is okay vs Iona, but not any decent P6 team.

Excellent point, but it wasn't okay against Iona either. He did it in both the first and second halves, and each time Iona closed the gap instantly.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Yup, we had a nice lead (8 or 10 points) and Hurley pretty quickly put four starters on the bench (everyone but Carlton) and Indiana commenced to take us to the woodshed. We never recovered. It gave them confidence and momentum, and took us completely out of our game and the great start we had. I don’t get it at all.

During that run, AG had 2 fouls. Akok had 2 fouls. Carlton was in. That accounts for 3 of our 5 starters. Vital was the playing poorly. And Polley doesn't give us much offensively if he's not spotting up for 3.

Hurley had to play other guys out of necessity because of the fouls.

If I were to make one change, it would have been having Adams running point while AG was on the bench. Vital can't play point and run an offense. His decision making is questionable and he's sloppy with the ball.

Gaffney hasn't shown anything yet to show he can play at this level. I understand he is coming off a bad ankle injury early in the year. But I noticed Gaffney frequently dribbles with his back or side to his defender in the half court. He's not even comfortable handling the ball while facing his opponent to see the floor. He looks scared to make a mistake.

I think Hurley's substitution patterns can improve, but last night it was on the players for turning the ball over constantly and when AG went out, no one was capable of running offense.

Reaction Score
During that run, AG had 2 fouls. Akok had 2 fouls. Carlton was in. That accounts for 3 of our 5 starters. Vital was the playing poorly. And Polley doesn't give us much offensively if he's not spotting up for 3.

Hurley had to play other guys out of necessity because of the fouls.

If I were to make one change, it would have been having Adams running point while AG was on the bench. Vital can't play point and run an offense. His decision making is questionable and he's sloppy with the ball.

Gaffney hasn't shown anything yet to show he can play at this level. I understand he is coming off a bad ankle injury early in the year. But I noticed Gaffney frequently dribbles with his back or side to his defender in the half court. He's not even comfortable handling the ball while facing his opponent to see the floor. He looks scared to make a mistake.

I think Hurley's substitution patterns can improve, but last night it was on the players for turning the ball over constantly and when AG went out, no one was capable of running offense.

It's amazing that people manage to miss the foul trouble aspect of this.

Reaction Score
Everything changed when Akok got the 2nd foul. Had to take him out. Same with AG 2nd foul.
22 turnovers and it is the coaches fault. Really??

Reaction Score
Just Carlton had the majority of our turnovers. Why did we keep trying to beat the ball in to him when he obviously can't hold onto it? He had a few nice fishes inside but it's a crap shoot if he will even get a shot off before losing the ball?

We have no offensive identity.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I didn't see any offensive adjustments at all.

He didn't bench his senior leaders when they made mistakes. That is coaching 101. Hold them accountable early.

The substitution patterns are hot garbage right now. Subbing 4-5 guys is okay vs Iona, but not any decent P6 team.

Our team looked frozen. Shocked by a big game on national TV. Including our coach.

Not enough fans are willing to put some of this on the coach. It happens. Hurley is very good--he isn't GREAT yet. The guy is only 45 or so. IMO He Mack, Oats and a couple others are the best young coaches in the game. It would be crazy to think he's infallible.

I find the mass subs odd as well ... but I guess when you have 10 guys who can play but no superstars, he feels like making more NBA-like subs with 2nd units. It's not super conventional at this level, but I'm sure he's got his reasons.

Edit: As for last night, a few posters correctly point out that some of this was obviously foul trouble. But he's done these subs multiple games, so it's not JUST with foul trouble situations.

Reaction Score
Just Carlton had the majority of our turnovers. Why did we keep trying to beat the ball in to him when he obviously can't hold onto it? He had a few nice fishes inside but it's a crap shoot if he will even get a shot off before losing the ball?

We have no offensive identity.
What? He was scoring better then the guards. Yes had turn overs but he was killing them inside

Reaction Score
What? He was scoring better then the guards. Yes had turn overs but he was killing them inside
Yea he was 9 of 14 with that dunk being one of them (honestly didn't think he was capable of that). Thats not bad at all. But having 7 turnovers? Imagine if he actually got this shots off instead of turning it over? How many of those let to baskets for the other team? Moreover alot of be our guards turnovers were on attempts to get the ball to Carlton! We kept trying to throw it over the top and it just wasn't happening.

Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts:

Hurley is allergic to calling TO's when the other team is on a run. So often he waits to use his first TO in the last possession or two of the first half. He should have called a TO before their run was 14-1 in the first half.

Why is he sitting Alterique and Akok in the first half with two fouls? He's basically manually fouling out our best ball handler and best defender in the first half.

Al commits an average of 2.3 fouls per 40 minutes played. Akok commits 2.3 fouls per 40 minutes played. They don't commit fouls, they don't foul out of games, PLAY THEM.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Hurley subs too much. It’s one thing if they are pressing and running up and down the court but don’t sit Akok when he’s hot and it’s a half court game? I’ll give him a pass this year cause he’s recruiting well but next year should be zero excuses. I won’t touch on Vital and AG, we all know they’ll be up and down all year. Cole should make a big difference next year.

Reaction Score
They closed their 5 point gap with CV on the bench, midway through the 2nd half. At that time, I hoped CV would not come back on the court. Other than his steal and alley pass to Sid, it was more of the same.

I don’t see how you’re going to change behavior by continuing to reward bonehead plays with PT. They need CV, but they also need a better CV (definitely goes for AG too), but it doesn’t seem like the message is getting through

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Personally, I think his sets need some work, the offense is very stagnant. Do some creative screening or something, our guards have the endurance to move around, but it’s always give the ball to Josh/Akok then wait til a guard comes to get the ball. We seem to get into our offense late.

agreed. Way to much dribbling and useless weaves.
And the inbounds plays are nonexistent...dare I say Ollie-esque.

Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts:

Hurley is allergic to calling TO's when the other team is on a run. So often he waits to use his first TO in the last possession or two of the first half. He should have called a TO before their run was 14-1 in the first half.

Why is he sitting Alterique and Akok in the first half with two fouls? He's basically manually fouling out our best ball handler and best defender in the first half.

Al commits an average of 2.3 fouls per 40 minutes played. Akok commits 2.3 fouls per 40 minutes played. They don't commit fouls, they don't foul out of games, PLAY THEM.
Agree on the Hurley Timeouts. He needs to call more in the first half.
Disagree on the foul trouble strategy for reasons i stated in other thread. See Jim Calhoun

Lastly, @DaveHuskiesFan, had an intense very real feeling dream last night that I apologized in person to CV and gave him a hug out of respect.

I know that prob sounds really funny but I think I needed that dream. The kid has heart and really strong character. I still don’t think he should have the ball in the final seconds.

But he has worked his butt off and is a solid dude. He had a really bad game last night but he deserves respect for his optimistic attitude, solid character and determination to help us win. He is a leader and i can see why personality wise Hurley trusted him in the end.

All that said, he does still need to learn to trust other guys more rather than try to do it himself particularly at the very end of games. We have very good basketball players on our team not named vital who can also do damage in crunch time.

Reaction Score
It was a hideous game. 3-17 from your veteran starting backcourt--plus 10 turnovers from the pair--doesn't give you a chance most nights. We were fortunate that Indiana was as offensively inept as we were.

On the season, Gilbert is shooting .270 from the floor and Vital is at .358. Not meaning to pick on them but they have to get better. College hoops has always been about guard play. We need improvement from our veteran leaders.

Reaction Score
both teams stunk, we just slightly stunk more.
One of the worst basketball games I've ever watched. The game before it was so much more enjoyable. To lose on top of it being so bad to watch was the icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
Hurley has improved our defense and all game effort in a big way. Who is our lead dog to make some shots in close games? Most teams have a guard able to step up here and not always from 3. The way things are being run for us on offense it seems Josh is that guy. This is a tough strategy to win big games with but it is where we are at now. None of our guards make enough shots to be able to be counted on yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom