Loss is on Hurley: | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Loss is on Hurley:

Reaction Score
I don't know how a coach could watch his team flounder and not call a time out to settle them down and reset the defense.

The 18-3 first half run was unacceptable. 18-3! That's the game! After a 10 point run, call the TO. Vital missed some key free throws as well and Carlton's flagrant killed us

Hurley just sitting back watching the run. I don't get it.

Reaction Score
During that run, AG had 2 fouls. Akok had 2 fouls. Carlton was in. That accounts for 3 of our 5 starters. Vital was the playing poorly. And Polley doesn't give us much offensively if he's not spotting up for 3.

Hurley had to play other guys out of necessity because of the fouls.

If I were to make one change, it would have been having Adams running point while AG was on the bench. Vital can't play point and run an offense. His decision making is questionable and he's sloppy with the ball.

Gaffney hasn't shown anything yet to show he can play at this level. I understand he is coming off a bad ankle injury early in the year. But I noticed Gaffney frequently dribbles with his back or side to his defender in the half court. He's not even comfortable handling the ball while facing his opponent to see the floor. He looks scared to make a mistake.

I think Hurley's substitution patterns can improve, but last night it was on the players for turning the ball over constantly and when AG went out, no one was capable of running offense.
I was having a brain fart on AG having 2 fouls, and I agree 100% on your other points. The hockey substitutions have seemed to become a pattern that I don’t love. If they didn’t happen by the 16 minute mark because of foul trouble, they likely would have happened by around the 13 minute mark anyway. I understand Hurley wants to tire out other teams but we sacrifice too much with four (or even 5 at times) bench players in the game against good teams. I feel that Hurley needs to find better substitution patterns, subbing a couple guys at a time, and obviously the right combo of players where we have enough balance on the floor to not have areas of the game that are huge liabilities. Obviously we’re not loaded with talent (yet) so the options are limited, but I definitely think (as you obviously do also) that Hurley can do a better job subbing.

Reaction Score
We don't run plays to get shooters open. Staying on the perimeter doesn't force any help defense. There is still no attacking on offense whether by plan or due to hesitant play. We should be able to at least put the defense on their heels. Need to create more opportunities.

Reaction Score
No, he had to go with AG & CV tonight.....and we all better hope they play better in big spots if any hope of making tourney.
I don't think that you can trust them to change.

Reaction Score
When Gilbert was out with fouls we got outscored by ~12. I liked that he put him in end of 1H even with 2 fouls.

He probably could have called a timeout during that run, but Gaffney and Vital both looked bad running the show. Bouk didn't look good when he was on ball. Who did you want at point? BAdams? Sid? That doesn't change once the game resumes after the timeout.

Hurley was trying. When Indiana went on the run at the end of the first half, he started putting Gilbert in on deadballs when we had possession and pulling him for Adams when we were going on defense. Hurley coached it like it was a tournament game. Our guards didn't respond.

Frankly, if I were to blame Hurley for one thing last night, it would be not having us relaxed enough coming in to MSG. Everyone looked overhyped up and tight. Which explains nights with outstanding D and poor offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coaches have to figure things out. They see the players in practice every day and know we have to win NOW.
We need a dynamic player who can change the game at both ends. Hopefully Bouk is that guy. Has to have the green light to make things happen and not be afraid to take a game over if thats possible. Hopefully he has that kind of talent.

Reaction Score
Hurley was trying. When Indiana went on the run at the end of the first half, he started putting Gilbert in on deadballs when we had possession and pulling him for Adams when we were going on defense. Hurley coached it like it was a tournament game. Our guards didn't respond.

Frankly, if I were to blame Hurley for one thing last night, it would be not having us relaxed enough coming in to MSG. Everyone looked overhyped up and tight. Which explains nights with outstanding D and poor offense.
They came in blowing Indiana off the floor, then he took Akok and Gilbert out with two fouls inserted CV as point guard and then it all went to s***.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They came in blowing Indiana off the floor, then he took Akok and Gilbert out with two fouls inserted CV as point guard and then it all went to s***.
When I looked back I was surprised we extended the lead over the next five minutes after he took Gilbert out. Only after Akok picked up his second and Hurley took him out that things went badly. If anything this indicates the fragility of the players and that a kid like Akok with his energy and drive is the spark plug this team needs. It would be better if a guard could do this. Hopefully someone else can filter out distractions and inspire the team. We've lacked this type of player since Bazz perhaps Boat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He did it in both the first and second halves, and each time Iona closed the gap instantly.
He did it against Miami and they pulled away.

Reaction Score
Coaches have to figure things out. They see the players in practice every day and know we have to win NOW.
We need a dynamic player who can change the game at both ends. Hopefully Bouk is that guy. Has to have the green light to make things happen and not be afraid to take a game over if thats possible. Hopefully he has that kind of talent.
Have you seen him play defense? He might help change game on offense but nowhere near ready to change a game on d.

Reaction Score
I think it's okay if some of us are underwhelmed by Hurley's performance on the court while at the same time pleased with his performance on the recruiting trail. I support Hurley and believe in him but won't do mental gymnastics to explain away mistakes or act like he's one of the top coaches in the country before he's come anywhere close to proving it.

There are coaches who could have developed THESE very players more over the off-season or who are capable of elevating this team with brilliant schemes. There are coaches who can get this team, with these players into the NCAA tournament THIS season. There's a lot of season left to play but in my opinion, Hurley is not one of those coaches (I would absolutely, genuinely LOVE to be wrong) I'm okay if that's the case because I believe his recruiting abilities will pay larger dividends over the next few years and lead us to better results. I prefer that to a lesser recruiter who can find a way to sneak this team in this year.

Even if I don't sound like it, I'm enthusiastic about Hurley being here. I'm not a fanboy though. Results are results. Most of you guys are reasonable but there are a few of you who talk about Hurley like he's Calhoun or Jay Wright or Izzo. You don't say it directly but the tone of entitlement and the unearned inevitability of Hurley's eventual greatness is there. Hurley was brought on as good mid-major coach with high upside who has proven to be a skilled recruiter. He remains that.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Think Vital just has to be Vital, seemingly tries to do more on the biggest stage

Just be yourself, that's all we need

AG couldn't shoot, but plays good D and ran the offense well

Book had a tough game, I trust he'll do better next time. It's all about learning how to win

Reaction Score
When I looked back I was surprised we extended the lead over the next five minutes after he took Gilbert out. Only after Akok picked up his second and Hurley took him out that things went badly. If anything this indicates the fragility of the players and that a kid like Akok with his energy and drive is the spark plug this team needs. It would be better if a guard could do this. Hopefully someone else can filter out distractions and inspire the team. We've lacked this type of player since Bazz perhaps Boat.
Hurley says it and many on the board say we'll go as far as our senior guards. It's true for many teams but often not the case with big time programs and I don't think it should be the case for us...

We absolutely need Alterique because he's the only guy on the team who can do the things he does but we'll go as far as him playing like a senior facilitor and Bouknight and Akok being the guys will take us. Alterique is still going to have his what the heck moments and what the heck games but hopefully as he gets more game play it will be minimized. Vital has been allowed to be the guy for 4 years and he's proven over and over he isn't capable...
There just isn't much upside with both AG and CV being allowed to be the guys and as we've seen there's a whole lot of downside... There is a ton of upside with Bouknight and Akok, their offensive workload has to go up along with more stuff designed to get Polley looks. CV can be a really good catch and shoot guy, and his rebounding, intensity, and the occasional drive are needed he just can't be the #1 offensive option for any team who hopes to make the tournament.

We don't know for sure if with 30 minutes a game and majorly increased offensive roles if Bouknight and Akok can get it done but I think trying to force it with something that's proven over and over it doesn't work will just lead us to more close losses we all think we should have won.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
During that run, we needed to make Adams the point guard (he could not have done worse) or you put Gilbert in with 2 fouls as a last resort. That and a TO and I'm happy

Reaction Score
Hopefully it's just freshman jitters and early lack of confidence but I was concerned with Gaffney trying to run point for a few minutes but essentially dribbling with his back to the basket to protect the ball

Reaction Score
Think Vital just has to be Vital, seemingly tries to do more on the biggest stage

Just be yourself, that's all we need

AG couldn't shoot, but plays good D and ran the offense well

Book had a tough game, I trust he'll do better next time. It's all about learning how to win
Vital needs to take the proper 3s, get to the rim, make free throws, guard and rebound. When he goes away from that and thinks he’s a better ball handler than he is, a better distributor than he is, takes long 2s or bad 3s early in the shot clocks, all goes to crap.

Reaction Score
It amazes me that there is a singular focus on one guy, Hurley, when we have a team of coaches. In the real world, smart leaders understand their difficiencies and augment what they do by surrounding themselves with complementary skills. Isn't someone skilled at when to call time outs, or moving players in and out of play? I think Hurley's a smart guy, but maybe stubborn.

Reaction Score
This was not one of his better nights. I wouldn't say it's on him completely--it was a team effort like everything else.

If he takes ownership in the press conference, then I'll be fine with it. On to the next one--he's improving too. Still a young coach.
Guy is being paid like a big time coach. He needs to coach like one. He isn’t at Wagner any more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom