Losing at Baylor would be the best thing to happen to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Losing at Baylor would be the best thing to happen to UConn

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I get it now. This thread is sort of a reverse mojo hex, right? Must be, because as a straight forward proposition it is a dead bang loser. It reminds me of a laugh from a modern classic:

Reaction Score
Geno & Staff will have used rust remover before game day. And, perhaps most interesting thing is the "murderers row" (;):cool:) of top WBB teams Baylor has played thus far. yes, ASU is an interesting team, but NOT top 15 , and SCarolina prob NOT deserving of the #18 ranking when Baylor played them. True, can't coach 6'7", BUT CAN Coach Team Work, Cohesive Offense & Defense, and a champion attitude.

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Baylor can get ready against Rio Grande........Geno will prob have team heavily scrimmage, hopefully against some of the men he uses.
Uconn should be very ready to go against the big. Hopefully, Olivia will get some go and show us something.

Reaction Score
Baylor should be ready to host UConn on Thursday Jan 3. UConn will enter that game rested, but possibly needing to shake off some rust of their own. Baylor has all of the advantages in their favor. Playing at home, they start a LARGE experienced (senior) 6'7" post player, they'll have a sold out arena, and they just played a game 48 hrs ago, so they should be ready to take it to the Huskies from the tip. No excuse for them not to win this one.........right? :eek:

View attachment 37799
You mean other than the excuse that they're playing the #1 team in the country who is going to come into Waco and kick their butts? :D:D

Reaction Score
This team knows they are not infallible. A close game is just as good as losing a game if you are trying to figure out your weaknesses. I think UConn will win the game.

Reaction Score
Seems like only UConn plays in games coming off of finals and long breaks. They need to fix that.

It certainly seems like UConn plays against some good teams coming off finals. A lot of other schools schedule games against mid majors coming off a long break.

Reaction Score
It's just the middle of the season. I repeat that we need support from our 'bigs'...Olivia being important, even as a raw freshman, Touly, hopefully can get in there and give some solid minutes and Kyla seems capable giving some tough inside play. If some of above is accomplished, KLS, Pheesha, and the "quicks" should do their amazing things....looking forward!

Reaction Score
I will be proven right...The "extra" pressure is now off UConn and they will not be "expected" to win a NC. Extra motivation for the players. UConn will win the NC as a result of this game.

Reaction Score
I will be proven right...The "extra" pressure is now off UConn and they will not be "expected" to win a NC. Extra motivation for the players. UConn will win the NC as a result of this game.
Maybe your right lol, the last two seasons they went into the tournament undefeated, with an expectations to win it all, this year maybe a lost would be good for them, the pressure should be off, a ton of people aren’t going to expect them to win, hopefully they play with even more motivation.

Reaction Score
Maybe your right lol, the last two seasons they went into the tournament undefeated, with an expectations to win it all, this year maybe a lost would be good for them, the pressure should be off, a ton of people aren’t going to expect them to win, hopefully they play with even more motivation.

Its already started. The post-game ESPN announcers basically saying winning a NC would be huge challenge for this team, this team is not as talented to past teams, etc. The expectations pressure is definitely off now, and UConn can use the "underdog" card as motivation.

After tonight, its pretty clear Baylor is the better team. But, in the tourney, anyone could beat anyone. So, any mental motivation will help. Still, I hope UConn doesnt have to play this Baylor team again - a very bad matchup!!

Reaction Score
Its already started. The post-game ESPN announcers basically saying winning a NC would be huge challenge for this team, this team is not as talented to past teams, etc. The expectations pressure is definitely off now, and UConn can use the "underdog" card as motivation.

After tonight, its pretty clear Baylor is the better team. But, in the tourney, anyone could beat anyone. So, any mental motivation will help. Still, I hope UConn doesnt have to play this Baylor team again - a very bad matchup!!
Andy Landers said that. For once I agree with him. He also said UConn has been able to win the last 4-5-6 years without a true back-to-the-basket player, but now the good teams all have one and you need one to win. That would also appear to be true. At least if "win" means "win all the time."

Reaction Score
Andy Landers said that. For once I agree with him. He also said UConn has been able to win the last 4-5-6 years without a true back-to-the-basket player, but now the good teams all have one and you need one to win. That would also appear to be true. At least if "win" means "win all the time."
The biggest issue for me is that it looked like we played 3 on 5 most of the night. Mostly on offense, but a few times on defense too. Just got beat by a much bigger team.

Reaction Score
I guess we are going to get our answer to the OP's question.

Reaction Score

Stop. One has nothing to do with the other. If UConn wins the NC it won't be because they played poorly against Baylor. It will be because they played really well in the Final Four.

Reaction Score

Funny, this is a completely different take than after the Notre Dame game. Amazing how both fans and "experts" can over react after one game. Baylor was the better team tonight. Not convinced that they are "clearly the better team."

Reaction Score
Funny, this is a completely different take than after the Notre Dame game. Amazing how both fans and "experts" can over react after one game. Baylor was the better team tonight. Not convinced that they are "clearly the better team."

I think it all comes down to this is basketball and anyone can win on any given night. Baylor had recently faced defeat and didn't like it. They stuck to their game plan and it worked out for them. Shots weren't falling easily for them, but poor UConn couldn't buy a basket. The better team that day was Baylor. Any team can be the better on that given day. What this proved was ANYONE has a chance to win it all this year. UConn didn't have the luck on their side and Baylor used their strengths against them. Baylor's success was found on the defensive end. That was one of the lowest fouling games for them this year. Both teams still have growing to do, but I wouldn't wanna face either come march.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll put it out there. I think if UConn enters the tourney undefeated for 3 straight years (!), there will be unbelievable extra pressure on all the players. Losing a regular season game will be a sigh of relief for the players (& Geno). Also, a loss at Baylor wont change their ranking much if at all. At Baylor, seems to be the best candidate. Of course, you dont want to intentionally lose, but maybe if Geno plays his bench more minutes...
On the men's board, this post and starting this thread would be grounds for a hanging. Just sayin.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
From a State alum/fan, Hats off to UCONN for not losing a regular season game in over four years. Incredible. Certainly it was going to happen at some point.

The pressure of staying undefeated weighs on a team and they can start playing tentatively with a not to lose mentality versus a win at all cost attitude.

So overall this bodes well for the Huskies. You never want to lose but in the present day winning them all is virtually impossible. Too many other really good teams in the mix nowadays. That is good for WCBB.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Never good to lose. Sometimes a loss points out weaknesses that need correcting but with a mature team like UCONN, they already know strengthens and weaknesses.

Well, we shall see how your theory works.

Reaction Score
From a State alum/fan, Hats off to UCONN for not losing a regular season game in over four years. Incredible. Certainly it was going to happen at some point.

The pressure of staying undefeated weighs on a team and they can start playing tentatively with a not to lose mentality versus a win at all cost attitude.

So overall this bodes well for the Huskies. You never want to lose but in the present day winning them all is virtually impossible. Too many other really good teams in the mix nowadays. That is good for WCBB.
Did you feel it boded well when MSST lost to Oregon? A loss is never good, every really great team wants to win them all! To me both of those losses were a matter of facing a good team at home where that team was on that particular night.

Reaction Score
Much can be learned in a loss during the season that will help accelerate a team's development in time for the NCAA tournament. As I said on a separate post, UCONN's coaching staff will make lemonade from the lemons left on the court last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom