Losing at Baylor would be the best thing to happen to UConn | The Boneyard

Losing at Baylor would be the best thing to happen to UConn

Reaction Score
I'll put it out there. I think if UConn enters the tourney undefeated for 3 straight years (!), there will be unbelievable extra pressure on all the players. Losing a regular season game will be a sigh of relief for the players (& Geno). Also, a loss at Baylor wont change their ranking much if at all. At Baylor, seems to be the best candidate. Of course, you dont want to intentionally lose, but maybe if Geno plays his bench more minutes...

Reaction Score
I'll put it out there. I think if UConn enters the tourney undefeated for 3 straight years (!), there will be unbelievable extra pressure on all the players. Losing a regular season game will be a sigh of relief for the players (& Geno). Also, a loss at Baylor wont change their ranking much if at all. At Baylor, seems to be the best candidate. Of course, you dont want to intentionally lose, but maybe if Geno plays his bench more minutes...
NUTS.

Reaction Score

Geno...are you reading this?

Reaction Score
With all due respect to the OP sentiment, it COMPLETELY missed the entire concept of UCONN Women Basketball. The "motto" (approximately): Aim for PERFECTION with the hope of hitting EXCELLENT.
I miss the logic of how losing a game is part of aiming for perfection.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For me Losing is Not an Option. If your good enough with the right coaching you know your weaknesses and you work on them. One of the most important things you need to learn is how to play the game correctly. Basketball is a team game. That means you need to learn to play within a team concept on offense and defense. You need to play to your strengths and learn to make opponents play to their weaknesses.

Making a commitment to play at UConn means that. Its not about you its about the team. Why do recruits go elsewhere? Well imo the number 1 reason is some recruits are not interested in what UConn has to offer. They dont want to pay the price that it takes. They are content at being who they are. It takes a special kind of recruit who has the drive and motivation to become great and wants to get better and remember not everybody will make it big however for those who want it UConn has the system and coaching to make them great.

Winning is a habit unfortunately so is loosing.

Reaction Score
I agree that losing is not a good thing, but playing the starters all 40 min does not guarantee a win, and using the bench (one at a time) a bit more with the starters does not necessarily result in a loss either. If you don't try it, then don't complain later on that you don't have a bench to go to in a big game resulting in a loss.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Balderdash and horsefeathers!

Reaction Score
1545576907549.png

Reaction Score
It is ridiculous to think a loss is good for a team. That's the dumbest thing you can say.

Reaction Score
The best outcome IMHO would be that Olivia gets some productive minutes against Brown/Cox without fouling at her 6.5 per 40 rate YTD...much as she did at ND. (Tip of the hat to JRRRJ for the fresh stats)

Now, should we be beaten, Geno can pen a story describing why it was best to "let" them lose.

Last edited:

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
I'll put it out there. I think if UConn enters the tourney undefeated for 3 straight years (!), there will be unbelievable extra pressure on all the players....

NUTS.

It is ridiculous to think a loss is good for a team. That's the dumbest thing you can say.

You notice how threads like this are always started by a newbie who rarely becomes an oldie?

Backbay makes a valid point. While not in terms of "let's loose this next game", Geno has expressed those exact sentiments in the past.

At tournament time, undefeated can be a huge burden, all by itself. When you add in that UCONN went out on a last second shot the past two years, the pressure can be immense.

It's a shame to see such disparaging comments from the so called "Oldies"....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'll put this out there, playing devil's advocate. On Dec. 4, 2016, South Carolina played a nonconference game at Duke. SC had control of the game early on. But at some point in the 2nd quarter, Dawn subbed out Wilson and some other starters, promptly lost the momentum and the lead, and ended up losing the game. Dawn acknowledged postgame that she was "trying to develop her bench" and lost the game because of it.

Four months later, South Carolina was celebrating its win in the national championship game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Backbay makes a valid point. While not in terms of "let's loose this next game", Geno has expressed those exact sentiments in the past.

At tournament time, undefeated can be a huge burden, all by itself. When you add in that UCONN went out on a last second shot the past two years, the pressure can be immense.

It's a shame to see such disparaging comments from the so called "Oldies"....

Toughen Up Clint.

Reaction Score
A real UConn fan will never wish UConn to lose a game ...

I mentioned on another thread that losing a game might not be a bad thing if you're the superstitious kind..................after all, the past two seasons didn't end well and both times the teams had yet to lose, maybe getting the loss out of the way during the regular season means an undefeated post season................

Reaction Score
I think you are onto something. In history there were many times that someone losing has helped them focus on their shortcomings. Like the Hindenberg….. don't fill up a big balloon with flammable gas and put people on board. The Titanic taught us that icebergs should be avoided. Running a huge oil tanker (Exxon Valdez) into the ground is a bad thing. Yada yada yada.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom