Losing at Baylor would be the best thing to happen to UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Losing at Baylor would be the best thing to happen to UConn

Reaction Score
Being undefeated is not a big burden on these young women... that is all they know...

The tournament is the SECOND season and will have its own pressure.. lose and go home.. The 2 overtime losses in the final 4 is much more Pressure than being undefeated, and will not go away with a loss to anybody.

losing is for losers
Who was it? Lombardi (?) that said: Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser!

Reaction Score
I cant help wondering if the overall reaction to this thread would have been better if the title were worded something like, "Losing at Baylor wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen".... rather than "...losing would be the best thing..."
Changing the wording --still comes out losing in the title of thread--I hate losing.
I'd like it better had it said something like" When we beat the pants off of Baylor what will they say about losing??

Reaction Score
Changing the wording --still comes out losing in the title of thread--I hate losing.
I'd like it better had it said something like" When we beat the pants off of Baylor what will they say about losing??
Right On, Right On.
As of today, Massey has this game at UCONN 74, Baylor 71, 59% UCONN win, 41% Baylor win. And not much happening between now and then to change that, except Baylor playing another Pastry Product on New Years Eve. Predicted score is a little close for "comfort"... but In Geno We Trust...and In UCONN WBB We Trust.

Reaction Score
So? There's no bonus points for being #1 in any poll. The only real goal is to be #1 after the NC Game!!!!!!! Head bang:rolleyes:
Unless of course being #1 entering the Big Dance guarantees the NC.

Really, thanks for telling me that. I was under the impression that it did. my bad.;)

The real reason I posted that is that I can't stomach Muffet and her crew sailing though the next few months at the top of the polls. I wouldn't like it if Baylor did, but ND....NO way. :eek:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Really, thanks for telling me that. I was under the impression that it did. my bad.;)

The real reason I posted that is that I can't stomach Muffet and her crew sailing though the next few months at the top of the polls. I wouldn't like it if Baylor did, but ND....NO way. :eek:
I apologize...I dislike EVERYTHING about ND!!!!!!! I really hope that Louisville demolishes them at least one more time this year.

Reaction Score
Right On, Right On.
As of today, Massey has this game at UCONN 74, Baylor 71, 59% UCONN win, 41% Baylor win. And not much happening between now and then to change that, except Baylor playing another Pastry Product on New Years Eve. Predicted score is a little close for "comfort"... but In Geno We Trust...and In UCONN WBB We Trust.

Geno has, in the past, used effectively a 3 guard offense/defense against tall teams and survived. That approach fits this team. While I am encouraged by Massey's prediction-Uconn still has to play the game with NO bench. I'd love to be totally wrong and have ONO get in and if not dominate (don't laugh) just give Napheesa, KLS, Walker, CW, Danger a few minutes respite --that would be great. I doubt that will happen. Still I think Geno will give ONO and Coombs 2 minutes in the game, more if they succeed (i.e. not foul and play well). This 2 minutes per big game is Geno's design of teaching the dog paddle before the breast stroke to make olympic swimmers. At first I was more than miffed with that --but he knows more about how to teach timid players he needs these kids.

Reaction Score
History would suggest no benefit to a single regular-season loss

Ten unbeaten regular seasons:

UCONN finished the regular season unbeaten in 1995, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018, winning the NC in seven of those ten years (Losing in 1997 after a major injury, and also the past two years, taking a BE semifinal loss to Villanova in 2003 but prevailing in the NCAAs)

Four single-loss regular seasons:

UCONN took a "Fortuitous" regular season loss four times: to Tennessee(by 1 point on a buzzer-beater IIRC) in the 2000 season, to Rutgers in 2008, to Stanford in 2010-2011, and to Stanford again in 2015, winning the NC in 2000 and 2015, losing in 2008 and 2011, succeeding twice in four instances. You can argue the 2003 loss to Villanova into whatever category you want, but the Rutgers loss in 2008 and the Stanford loss in 2010-2011 were ultimately no help. I remember the relief felt in December 2010 when Stanford ended the 90-game winning streak, but there would still be no NC.
I
If you could hear me---I'd stand up and cheer over this posting---ya--hoo , ya-hoo
Are you RIGHT---true of false, I don't care, it's the thoughts that count--Thank you ll
I highlighted great words, thank you.

Reaction Score
I do not think that losing would be an asset. I would very much like to see Olivia play more. From what I saw on replay, she was just fine. Her presence is needed and more play will make her better. She has the 'stuff' that the real good ones have. She must play and she will improve. Coombs and Irwin could have given some moments, but Olivia can be the real deal.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score

Not knowing my flowers, that well.....
But, if those are "buttercups" then,
1545719117834.png

Reaction Score
I'll put it out there. I think if UConn enters the tourney undefeated for 3 straight years (!), there will be unbelievable extra pressure on all the players. Losing a regular season game will be a sigh of relief for the players (& Geno). Also, a loss at Baylor wont change their ranking much if at all. At Baylor, seems to be the best candidate. Of course, you dont want to intentionally lose, but maybe if Geno plays his bench more minutes...

In the past, Geno has often tackled this very topic. I suspect that in a very narrowly defined context he would agree with you.

The "old" Bone Yarders are missing the point...it's not about learning from the loss (losing is for losers-Geno would agree)..it's about eliminating useless, to the point of distracting, pressure off the team.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just one point of information. UConn does not play another game til Jan 3 at Baylor. They should have enough rest and they wont be on the road travelling as much. They may be a little rusty against Baylor and Baylor without true point guards and inexperienced underclassman...well I dont think UConn should have to many problems. Uconn has to stay out of foul trouble.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In the past, Geno has often tackled this very topic. I suspect that in a very narrowly defined context he would agree with you.

The "old" Bone Yarders are missing the point...it's not about learning from the loss (losing is for losers-Geno would agree)..it's about eliminating useless, to the point of distracting, pressure off the team.

I'll never understand how losing a game takes pressure off the next one and the next and the .... I understand a loss being a potential motivator, but taking pressure off, that I don't get. Now, lose 6 or 7 and the pressure is really off.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'll put it out there. I think if UConn enters the tourney undefeated for 3 straight years (!), there will be unbelievable extra pressure on all the players. Losing a regular season game will be a sigh of relief for the players (& Geno). Also, a loss at Baylor wont change their ranking much if at all. At Baylor, seems to be the best candidate. Of course, you dont want to intentionally lose, but maybe if Geno plays his bench more minutes...
So the teams of the last three years are more susceptible to pressure than the six undefeated national champions? You perceive this team and the previous two years as mentally weaker than true champions?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Mind boggling take. Be undefeated, and the play better when it counts.

Can't imagine wanting to lose. If you don't like the pressure, don't come to UCONN. Heck, don't even play.

Reaction Score
[Geno Auriemma Says UConn Losing Wouldn't Be The Worst Thing For The Huskies
https://www.courant.com/hc-kelli-stacy-editorial-20180601-staff.html

Geno Auriemma won’t mind seeing his team lose.
Not often, not enough to cause sufficient worry, but once or twice.
He wants his players to have a reason to pause, look around and realize they need to regroup. Then, he wants them to execute.
“Fifteen or 20 years ago there was only one thought in my mind: We need to win every single game to prove that we’re great,” Auriemma said. “That’s all I thought about. ‘We need to go undefeated to prove that we’re great because great teams don’t lose.’ The last couple years I’d go into every big game on ESPN going ‘Man, I hope today’s the day we get our ass kicked,” just so that we can feel what it feels like to have to regroup a little bit.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I hate this matchup for UConn. Coming off an extended break, playing on the road, with virtually no bench, against a team with a ton of size. This game really scares me as a UConn fan.
I'm pretty bearish on this one.

Reaction Score
I'm hep to the sentiment that it's good to relieve the pressure of being undefeated. However, this team has already been defeated - in certain quarters of games - and that's enough. I don't have the numbers at hand, but they've lost a few key quarters against good teams, so they know they can be bested. Most importantly, however, they know they are indefatigable and have overcome all their deficits and imposed their will on all comers thus far in the season. I say more power to them. Keep it up. This team is a unique collection of five superb basketball players skilled in all aspects of the game (hey, the defense has been there when it counted) and they play in a beautiful, slashing, elegant style. When they're hitting on all cylinders they are a brutal ballet. Lose? Hah!

Reaction Score
I hate this matchup for UConn. Coming off an extended break, playing on the road, with virtually no bench, against a team with a ton of size. This game really scares me as a UConn fan.
Seems like only UConn plays in games coming off of finals and long breaks. They need to fix that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom