looks like the JaJuan Johnson recruitment was a short one | The Boneyard

looks like the JaJuan Johnson recruitment was a short one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If anyone even bothered to read Johnson's comments earlier in the week, the recruitment was basically non-existant.

Reaction Score
We don't have to spend lots of time...recruits love Ollie...

You don't even know the level of interest that Ollie/UConn actually even showed in this kid. I know you're eager to see any ties to Calhoun quickly wiped clean from UConn but your over the top enthusiasm to see Ollie fail is pathetic.

Reaction Score
I do think it is time to wipe the slate clean. Name the new practice court after Calhoun and move on. I don't think Ollie will be a very good coach. I don't buy the great recruiter stuff. I hope am wrong about the 2nd and 3rd points.

Reaction Score
I do think it is time to wipe the slate clean. Name the new practice court after Calhoun and move on. I don't think Ollie will be a very good coach. I don't buy the great recruiter stuff. I hope am wrong about the 2nd and 3rd points.

You're just wrong.....don't have to have any points attached you're just plain wrong!!!

Reaction Score

Nah you're really not. Nothing would make you feel happier than seeing Ollie fall flat on his face so that it would prove Calhoun was wrong about him. Can't wait for him to prove you wrong, and it will happen, and I'm going to remind you of it everytime I see you post.

Reaction Score
Nah you're really not. Nothing would make you feel happier than seeing Ollie fall flat on his face so that it would prove Calhoun was wrong about him. Can't wait for him to prove you wrong, and it will happen, and I'm going to remind you of it everytime I see you post.

No you won't, because he doesn't post very often when things are going well.

Reaction Score
Look, Calhoun was a terrific coach and did a remarkable job building the program. Unbelievable job really. But he retired. And left behind a pretty big mess, for which he gets a total pass on this board. It is time to move on and that will never happen as long as UConn continues to let Jim Calhoun call the shots. I actually think Manuel gets this. I think Herbst gets this. And I think deep down neither will be too broken up if the Huskies fall on their faces this season. It gives everyone an opportunity to set a new direction for the program which can never happen with Calhoun's hand picked coach, and Calhoun's former players as the only members of the basketball staff. Nobody here seems to get it, but UConn basketball is viewed as a rogue program outside of the 4 corners of Connecticut. It is viewed as dirty. it is viewed as protecting criminals. it is viewed as one that doesn't care about graduating players. The reason there is little or no support for our APR arguments anywhere is that we've had one of the worst records among major programs for a decade. A whole new direction is what is needed.

Reaction Score
Holy duck*, you're so transparent.

I disagree with the people who think Ollie should've been handed a 3-year contract, and hate the notion of UConn restricting itself to former alums. But what the duck* are you basing him not being a good coach on?

Also, I get that it's a lot different recruiting someone to play for a HOFer than it is to recruit guys to play for you, but it's pretty clear that recruiting is something Ollie is good at. Look at whose interest he's been able to attack despite the circumstances surrounding the program, and read the quotes about what people are saying about him. Guys love him.

Reaction Score
I hope he does prove me wrong, but since everybody already has their excuses on why he doesn't have to produce this year, or next either, I think everyone will say he's a success even if he's terrible. I've asked what people would consider a success, and I've posted what I consider a success, at least 16-18 wins, at least one upset over a seriously good team, and no losses to the steaming heaps on the schedule. Nobody else is willing to say what they think constitutes a minimum standard...most seem to support my man Pudge who says "play hard" as if that is meaningful.

Reaction Score
Look, Calhoun was a terrific coach and did a remarkable job building the program. Unbelievable job really. But he retired. And left behind a pretty big mess, for which he gets a total pass on this board. It is time to move on and that will never happen as long as UConn continues to let Jim Calhoun call the shots. I actually think Manuel gets this. I think Herbst gets this. And I think deep down neither will be too broken up if the Huskies fall on their faces this season. It gives everyone an opportunity to set a new direction for the program which can never happen with Calhoun's hand picked coach, and Calhoun's former players as the only members of the basketball staff. Nobody here seems to get it, but UConn basketball is viewed as a rogue program outside of the 4 corners of Connecticut. It is viewed as dirty. it is viewed as protecting criminals. it is viewed as one that doesn't care about graduating players. The reason there is little or no support for our APR arguments anywhere is that we've had one of the worst records among major programs for a decade. A whole new direction is what is needed.

And you think people are still going to consider Uconn a dirty program with Kevin Ollie as head coach?

Reaction Score
I hope he does prove me wrong, but since everybody already has their excuses on why he doesn't have to produce this year, or next either, I think everyone will say he's a success even if he's terrible. I've asked what people would consider a success, and I've posted what I consider a success, at least 16-18 wins, at least one upset over a seriously good team, and no losses to the steaming heaps on the schedule. Nobody else is willing to say what they think constitutes a minimum standard...most seem to support my man Pudge who says "play hard" as if that is meaningful.

Pudge is mostly correct....if they lay it out there every day, out rebound people despite their size and lose to some pretty damn good teams but compete, 14-15 wins will be more entertaining than last year to me.....again just me.........

Hypothetically if he coached last year with that chemistry and the underachieving big men who were consistently outworked would 20 wins be good enough for you to conclude he did a good job? ......... so that's why numbers can be deceiving!!

Reaction Score
I fhe won 20 and got to the tournament in his first year, I'd probably say, yeah, he did well enough and chalk up some of the mis-adventures to a learning curve. On the other hand, If he only won 17 and got a CBI bid or soemthing with last year's personnel I'd say Adios.

Reaction Score

Manuel and Herbst owe Calhoun to hang around the program - he built the damn thing.

As far as UConn being viewed as a rogue program, ignorant fanbases, jealous fanbases, scorned reporters, and Emmert.

Reaction Score
I fhe won 20 and got to the tournament in his first year, I'd probably say, yeah, he did well enough and chalk up some of the mis-adventures to a learning curve. On the other hand, If he only won 17 and got a CBI bid or soemthing with last year's personnel I'd say Adios.

Look what Calhoun did with last years talent.

Reaction Score

Different team, different expectations!! He has Wolf vs Drummond, he has Tyler vs AO, he will have DD/or a frosh vs Roscoe..............wins will mean something they always do but how many can't be determined as of now but how hard they compete and the chemistry they have will say plenty for me...........

Reaction Score
'Dirty' program?? Who is sowing that salt? Some TV idiot, or another rival program?? Although singing to the choir, take a look at some of the other 'programs'.

Reaction Score
If there was ever a glass dishwasher dry, it's you FC. Do you ever look at UConn favorably? I think if Wooden rose from the grave and was coaching on UConn's sideline, you'd find something to criticize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom