Looks like Lester is may be gone | The Boneyard

Looks like Lester is may be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Farrell scratched him from his start. This is one of the dumbest moves ever by the Sox. If Lester isn't an ace he is at least a #2 starter on any team. I know they need an outfielder with power but this is a stupid move with all the prospects in the organization. Pitchers like Lester don't come along every day.
Sox fans have been pretty patient as fans go during this horrible season but this move (if it happens) will push them over the edge. What a bunch of arrogant idiots running this club.

Reaction Score
It is an odd move, considering he was apparently willing to take a hometown discount. Once he's traded, you'd have to guess that the odds of his returning to Boston drop.

Reaction Score
Oh, how will Boston back up the ol' Fung Wah on this one?!

Reaction Score
Farrell scratched him from his start. This is one of the dumbest moves ever by the Sox. If Lester isn't an ace he is at least a #2 starter on any team. I know they need an outfielder with power but this is a stupid move with all the prospects in the organization. Pitchers like Lester don't come along every day.
Sox fans have been pretty patient as fans go during this horrible season but this move (if it happens) will push them over the edge. What a bunch of arrogant idiots running this club.
I agree. This was stupid from the get-go. Their initial offer was insulting. I think he is gone for good. Failure to sign him when there was no competition bordered on incompetence. I am hoping they get someone decent for him but watching some of their recent moves, the chance are slim. When their needs were obvious (the offense is offensive), they picked up two minor league starting pitchers for Peavy. I didn't like the Peavy trade when they got him and don't like this one either. Ben got lucky in 2013 but I think his luck has run out.

Reaction Score
Dubront already traded to Cubs for a player to be named latter and they are also shopping Lackey. This would make the #1 starter who? Bucholtz? The problem this season was offense not pitching. Strange strategy.

Reaction Score
I have to scratch my head over them wanting to dump one of baseballs best pitchers and a lefty to boot……..Gammons was on FAN just now when I was traveling home and he mentioned John Henry 's thoughts on 30 or older pitchers being the worst investment in baseball……..he's kidding me right? Maybe some are but not this one………just don't drop him to the Orioles please………...

Reaction Score
The belief up here is that ownership likes Lester for the next two or three years at close to $20 mil per, it is the the two or three years beyond that where they are shaky. I get it. You can look at guys who have broken down after age 30 and getting their big pay day. However, I don't agree with this one. He has been remarkable durable over the last few years, the only major "injury" he had was cancer, and he beat the snot out of that. He is 3-0 in the World Series, pitching a clinching game, with an ERA of under 1.00. You know he can pitch in the market, you know he can pitch in big games, and, as MAU said, he's a lefty.

I don't see the end game here. What is the plan? You trade him, and rumors are Lackey perhaps too? Then what? Go out and get Cole Hammels with the prospects you bring in? Isn't that just breaking even? That wreaks of making a move for the sake of making a move. Sign Max Scherzer? Financially, he may cost you more. Promote the young kids and go with a rotation of unproven, but talented kids? This isn't the Marlins, though they are looking like the Marlins in the year following their two World Series.

This team is going to have holes all over it after this season and they can't rely on just prospects to fill them. Yes, Bogarts, JBJ, Vasquez, they are your guys next year who you hope make a big leap. Pedroia and Ortiz are the veteran leaders, but who else? Napoli? Will his body hold up? Who is playing 3b? Middlebrooks? So far he has proven to be a flash in the pan. Corner outfielders? Oh, and starters, let us not forget the starting rotation.

Some people say you take the prospects you get from this week's activities and you go get Stanton from Miami. Great, now you have a corner OF to build around but who is your top starter? Start draining the farm system for both Stanton and Hammels and then fill in around them with bargains like they did in 2013?

Reaction Score
The Sox have a ton of prospects, will be getting more in the next 24 hours with other trades and a lot of money to spend. They will likely make a couple of big trades with their prospects and sign guys a la 2013 offseason.
Let's relax regarding the 2015 season and beyond, they always let guys go virtually every year and still manage to survive. Every offseason there is drama with a new Sox player leaving, how will the fans survive, how will they trust the front office, ownership, etc yada yada.

I'll wait til the 2014-15 offseason is done before saying they have no plan, or a plan that sucks. The flexibility regarding young talent and money is pretty impressive headed into this offseason. Big moves will be made.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Who cares about the season?

Let's just sit tight and hope we enjoy the offseason.

Reaction Score
Lester and Gomes for Cespedes? Well, ok.
Cespedes will definitely make up for not signing your ace. We got back a player with an OBP last year of about .300. Sounds like a brilliant move to me.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I love Cespedes but there is a glass quality there. He is dinged up a lot. The Monster better be armored up as he will rock it.

Reaction Score
Good deal for Boston. Now go re-sign Lester after the season or trade for Cole Hamels. Sox pitching at this moment is awful.

Surprised A's would trade Cespedes for maybe two months of Lester....really going for it I guess.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The A's are my second fave team going back to the West Haven A's days. Jesse Chavez is not reliable anymore and Hammel has sucked ass since coming over from Cubs. A's probably weren't thinking of Lester 3 weeks ago.

John Lester, Jeff Samardja, Sonny Gray and Scott Kazmir can win a WS Champeenship. And Doolittle closing? Yep.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Cespedes and the pick from Oakland in addition to John Lackey could get Stanton.

Reaction Score
The A's are my second fave team going back to the West Haven A's days. Jesse Chavez is not reliable anymore and Hammel has sucked ass since coming over from Cubs. A's probably weren't thinking of Lester 3 weeks ago.

John Lester, Jeff Samardja, Sonny Gray and Scott Kazmir can win a WS Champeenship. And Doolittle closing? Yep.

Yes...A's are now the favorites to win it all IMO.

Reaction Score
Good deal for Boston. Now go re-sign Lester after the season or trade for Cole Hamels. Sox pitching at this moment is awful.

Surprised A's would trade Cespedes for maybe two months of Lester....really going for it I guess.
Go, it is beyond awful especially when you look at the staff preseason. The pitching this year was ok. It was the lack of offense and very shaky defense that put them in the cellar.
The last year or two of any big contract isn't good value for the team but you have to eat it if you want a star. The Sox decided to pass. If they couldn't work a deal when they Lester under contract no way they do it next year when he hits free agency. They are going to have to spend their money in free agency and probably more than it would have taken to sign Lester in the Spring. The best thing for the Sox would be for Lester to get banged around in the playoffs.
As long as the Sox have gone this far they probably should get rid of Drew and play Bogarts at SS. He is actually a better SS than 3B although that isn't saying much.

Reaction Score

The problem the A's have is they can't get past the first round of the playoffs. Lester could put them over the top. Cespedes hasn't developed the way the A's were hoping. His rookie year (2012) was his best year. He has become a .250 hitter that strikes out a lot. He does have incredible power, however, and at 28 could get better. Just being in Fenway should help.

Reaction Score
Disagree Danzz.

Lester is likely gone in two months. We can still resign him.

And Cespedes is a potential real good player in Boston locked up thru next year. Oakland is an awful hitters park and he hits HR there. He is an all star.

That said...be nice if they somehow use these pieces as part of deal for Stanton.

Reaction Score
I have to scratch my head over them wanting to dump one of baseballs best pitchers and a lefty to boot……..Gammons was on FAN just now when I was traveling home and he mentioned John Henry 's thoughts on 30 or older pitchers being the worst investment in baseball……..he's kidding me right? Maybe some are but not this one………just don't drop him to the Orioles please………...
Go, it is beyond awful especially when you look at the staff preseason. The pitching this year was ok. It was the lack of offense and very shaky defense that put them in the cellar.
The last year or two of any big contract isn't good value for the team but you have to eat it if you want a star. The Sox decided to pass. If they couldn't work a deal when they Lester under contract no way they do it next year when he hits free agency. They are going to have to spend their money in free agency and probably more than it would have taken to sign Lester in the Spring. The best thing for the Sox would be for Lester to get banged around in the playoffs.
As long as the Sox have gone this far they probably should get rid of Drew and play Bogarts at SS. He is actually a better SS than 3B although that isn't saying much.

I think the mistake was not signing him prior to this year. I have little problem with the deal now that the ship has sailed and he's not re-signing before the end of the year.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Harold Reynolds stating a good case why Cespedes' numbers will go up as a Red Suck. Homers lost in AL West will leave AL parks.

Reaction Score

Hi Mr. Cherrington.

Reaction Score
Harold Reynolds stating a good case why Cespedes' numbers will go up as a Red Suck. Homers lost in AL West will leave AL parks.
Maybe the one time Harold Reynolds has ever uttered an intelligent comment was when he was breaking down Cespedes to Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom