Looking for signature wins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking for signature wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking at it retrospectively, yeah it would be nice to have Providence on the schedule this year instead of Ohio State, Georgetown or Texas because Providence is ranked higher than either of those three teams (not including Michigan, Syracuse or Gonzaga because that was a tournament) but these series are usually booked multiple years in advance. History says that all three of those teams are better than PC in most years, but this year is the exception to the rule.

Honestly, I'd rather see UConn play series against the following former Big East teams than PC:

1. Syracuse
2. Pitt
3. Georgetown (already on the schedule)
4. Villanova
5. Louisville
6. West Virginia
7. St. Johns (MSG)
8. Notre Dame
--------------------------------------
9. PC

Not trying to be mean here or completely dismiss the idea, just trying to give an honest opinion.

Not sure about St Johns as they are in huge trouble, but the list is relatively solid based on programs for sure!

Reaction Score
Not sure about St Johns as they are in huge trouble, but the list is relatively solid based on programs for sure!

Yeah I included St. Johns solely for the opportunity to play an "away" game at the Garden. Besides that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction Score
Let's not try to say this is an automatic RPI game by any means. PC isn't normally a much better RPI game than Quinnipiac when the season ends.

PC is normally a much better RPI game when the season ends.

Average Year-End RPI (Last 5 Years)
PC: 93
Quinnipiac: 164

Average Year-End RPI (Last 10 Years)
PC: 97
Quinnipiac: 189

Top 100 RPI Finishes (Last 10 Years)
PC: 5
Quinnipiac: 0

Reaction Score
There are some similarities to 2011. Dunn to Kemba, Bentil to Oriakhi, Lindsey to Lamb. They are missing that tall African center who "...love(s) this team." Also UConn started OOC that year undefeated against a much tougher slate in Maui. Now if PC had beaten MSU, then the 2011 comparisons could blast off (equating MSU this year to UK in 2011).

Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to say they're as good, just that, composition wise, there are a lot of similarities.

Bentil clearly has a much more advanced offensive game than Oriakhi did, though it remains to be seen if Bentil can hang with elite centers one on one. Dunn and Kemba are much different players, but their impact on the game is similar. I definitely don't see Lindsey being as good as Lamb, but I could see Bullock having a Roscoe-like impact. Hell, you could even liken Chuckwu leaving before the season to Majok leaving.

Overall team talent level is probably not as high and they don't have a living legend on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to say they're as good, just that, composition wise, there are a lot of similarities.

Bentil clearly has a much more advanced offensive game than Oriakhi did, though it remains to be seen if Bentil can hang with elite centers one on one. Dunn and Kemba are much different players, but their impact on the game is similar. I definitely don't see Lindsey being as good as Lamb, but I could see Bullock having a Roscoe-like impact. Hell, you could even liken Chuckwu leaving before the season to Majok leaving.

Overall team talent level is probably not as high and they don't have a living legend on the sidelines.

If AO was as good as Bentil we would have had a better regular season record and a higher seed for sure. Then we may have not won the NC so thanks to Ao for not being that good! LOL

Reaction Score
1-2 years ago, UConn made this season's schedule. When the year is over, UConn will have played Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Maryland, SMU 2x, and Cincy potentially 3x, and yet we're complaining about the schedule not giving ample opportunity for multiple signature wins?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
1-2 years ago, UConn made this season's schedule. When the year is over, UConn will have played Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Maryland, SMU 2x, and Cincy potentially 3x, and yet we're complaining about the schedule not giving ample opportunity for multiple signature wins?
no. Thread was started by a PCU little brother to say "look at me look at me we are top 10"

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't know why we're trashing Providence. this season we're in no position to look down on any team.

Reaction Score

So UConn has six cupcake games OOC this year (Maine, New Hampshire, Furman, Sacred Heart, UMass-Lowell and Central Connecticut) and seven games versus tournament quality teams (Michigan, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Maryland, Ohio State, Texas and Georgetown). Most programs in the same spot as UConn are always going to have five-six games against lesser teams at the beginning of the year as part of the buildup to conference play, so realistically we will have anywhere from five to seven slots open in our out of conference schedule (two to three games usually reserved for a holiday tournament (Maui in 2016)).

With those remaining OOC slots to fill, I'd rather play Arizona, Ohio State, Georgetown (all on the 2016 schedule) than URI, BCU and PC.

Reaction Score
I don't know why we're trashing Providence. this season we're in no position to look down on any team.

I don't think we are trashing PC. Realistically, what does UConn have to gain by playing the New England schools vs the national programs that we already play OOC?

Hypothetical: What game provides more value to UConn (exposure, recruiting etc?) UConn-PC on FS1 or UConn-Ohio State on CBS?

Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:

In your mind is UConn 0-11 right now? They've lost to Syracuse and Gonzaga by a combined 6 points and played a top 5 Maryland team down to the wire after a slow start. You're talking about them like they're St. John's. They're a fringe top 25 team right now.

Reaction Score

If UConn was in another conference, t could afford to have a regional rivalry. I'd like to see it. But UConn is only going to get 6 or 7 conference games of any value this season. It needs to maximize it's OOC as best it can, and nationally, the games against Texas and Ohio State and Maryland just sell better. You could compare say Providence to Georgetown, and there'd be a real argument.

Reaction Score
If you read the threads, we have to schedule OOC to get our RPI up, considering our conference. You need us more than we need you right now. But I am one who would relish a decent New England opponent every year. I won't call it a rivalry because if we scheduled BC or UMass they too would also 'think' its a rivalry.

No fan here says a NE opponent/rivalry doesn't matter we just need to find one consistent enough for us to consider rivals. In other words you all have more work to do.

So enjoy your 'good' team and All American this year, and stop worrying about us.

Reaction Score

Agreed 100%. I was at the Ryan center and it was one of the most enjoyable college games I've ever been to. Administratively, there are probably as many or more reasons to schedule nationally than locally, but as a fan there is no question what I would prefer. Regional rivalries should be the driving force behind college athletics; unfortunately, money has steered basketball and football in a different direction. It's sad that we don't play Syracuse, St. Johns, Providence, URI, etc. every year, but it is what it is.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Well, a win against UML probably weakens our RPI anway!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The new reality is that rivalries are dead. Just plain dead.

Will UConn and Providence play again? Yes. Soon? I doubt it. Because of the network thing, we'll likely see Boston College first.

UConn will play Michigan, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Maryland, Georgetown, Texas and Ohio State.

That's just how it's going to be - national programs on national networks. There are games in the works with former Big East teams for a CBS/Fox split, but Providence isn't one of them.

When someone can sell UConn-Providence to CBS on a Saturday, that game has a chance of happening. Until then, I would not spend a lot of time thinking about it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
In a nutshell - Hey PeeCee - get relevant nationally, and come back and see us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom