Long Offseason | The Boneyard

Long Offseason

Reaction Score
I’m not surprised they lost, infuriating nonetheless. Hoped that they at least get to the Sweet 16. Have to look forward. But the loss will make it for a much longer off season. There will be that much more pressure come next tournament. DH has made UConn basketball relevant again, have to move from pretender to contender now.

Reaction Score
I dread Hurley under more pressure. He doesn’t do well with pressure going back to his college days

Hopefully he progresses as a coach and realizes his shortcomings and accepts there’s other ways to accomplish the goals he has set other than being stubborn with his ways

Reaction Score
I want Hurley here, but concerned that he’s not going to get that much better with his in game coaching. He’s really going to have to become a student of the game. He’s going to have to rewatch the games to see what he could’ve done better, study some basketball strategy books and listen to some other coaches. On the other hand, it seems that he does get his players open looks at the basket. At this stage, we need shooters and ball handlers. He’s accomplished his first few objectives regarding changing the culture and is bringing in recruits. Needs to develop the players. I want to see the freshman and sophomores play next year with decent minutes, but I certainly would welcome back Cole and Tyrese. I’m hopeful about the transfer pool, a shooter and a complimentary ball handler should be salivating to come into UConn. If we cans address this during the off season, hopefully it’ll bring out some sun in the forecast and wash away the black cloud.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
If he’d just listen to his assistants and maybe his dad once in a while I think that would get us more than halfway there. The biggest problems could’ve been solved by simple adjustments.
I alluded to this in another thread but agree - he's got LOADS of resources at his fingertips now at a big time blue-blood school. A hall of fame coach for a dad, a hall of fame former coach in Jim Calhoun. That's not to mention guys like Kimani Young and Tom Moore who are top notch as far as assistants go.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley is a good coach and I like the recruits he has brought in. I’m especially impressed how his teams have remained resilient despite injuries. It seems like every year there has been injuries to important players that have cost them games. Despite this the team has continued to progress. To me the problem is that he has had more good players to work with as opposed to great players. The difference is consistency. Good players show flashes of great play but great players bring it every night and are consistent. Polley, Whaley, Carlton, Martin, Gilbert. All were good players but what they gave you night in and night out never was consistent. Next years team is going to depend on Sanogo, Jackson and Hawkins becoming great. They also need a Rashad Anderson type who will knock down the 3 ball consistently. I love Polley for staying with the program but his shooting really varied from game to game. I also think that Cole was very good as a scorer but not great as a passer. On more than one ocasion his drives left someone open for a 3 but he would refuse to pass it out. Additionally his height seemed to limit his ability to get the ball to Sanogo on post ups. I think having so many good players raised our floor for what we were this season (NCAA Tourney bound, top half of the Big East) but it lowered our ceiling because nobody was great when they needed it the most.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he’d just listen to his assistants and maybe his dad once in a while I think that would get us more than halfway there. The biggest problems could’ve been solved by simple adjustments.
Do we know that he doesn’t? I confess I’m perplexed sometimes by the coaching moves and especially by not really seeming to game plan for the opponent. But I have no idea what those guys tell him.

Reaction Score
you have to wonder what his dad says to him after watching the games.
His father said they don't talk about basketball very much and he never gives his son advice unless asked. It was in this article.

“First of all, you’re a parent, so you’re supportive of what’s going on,” Bob said on Monday afternoon. “We watch every game that both play. I will offer advice when asked. I’m more apt to be asking about how my grandkids are doing, than whether they’re going to be changing defenses in a game, or changing the lineup. I think that’s more appropriate.”

“Danny’s more inclined to call Fran Fraschilla or Seth Greenberg than he is to call me over a basketball thing,” Bob said. “Just because he’s gonna see them a lot, and I’m viewed as being a very good high school coach, but I didn’t coach at the college level. If they ask me questions, I’ll answer what I think. But, it’s good to be dad and to watch the fun part and suffer silently when things aren’t going well.”

Bob Hurley Sr. talks UConn, his sons, Springsteen, Sinatra and some shady figures from Jersey City

Reaction Score
his dad is a high school coach. part of hurley’s problem is he coaches like he is still in high school.

effort and toughness won’t win you every game anymore. you need to understand advanced tactics and strategy. which isn’t as important in high school when you can just out talent/effort everyone.

hurley needs to learn from some advanced basketball minds. not former high school coaches (no matter how good).

Reaction Score
I dread Hurley under more pressure. He doesn’t do well with pressure going back to his college days

Hopefully he progresses as a coach and realizes his shortcomings and accepts there’s other ways to accomplish the goals he has set other than being stubborn with his ways
He needs to get rid of that damn aura ring of his. Freakin embarrassing

Reaction Score
What does this even mean?
Would Calhoun wear one? Just embodies a mind who uses hope as a plan.
that’s what I mean. C’mon man. Not only wears it he refers to it. Troll? Don’t think so …you are enjoying Boneyard genesis because of my efforts. Thank God Temery et al picked up the banner and has done an unbelievable job

Reaction Score
I'm a musician and a song writer for a living and I constantly hear fans and non-professional musicians give me advice on what kind of song they think I should write. The suggestions are well intentioned, but are so tone deaf to what exactly is involved in getting a song cut by an artist. Also, most of these suggestions come from people who play in local bands in their hometown. Even music school graduates are so green to the process. So they act under the illusion that they "know music" and their advice does seem logical to them. But in reality, they are so far off base. A lot of the Hurley criticism comes from people who probably coach at the HS level, or have studied basketball as a hard-core fan. But rarely do those suggestions matter because coaching success at high D1 level cannot be truly grasped by someone who has never done it. I promise you. And if you are thinking "but I really do know what he can do better" then you're one of them.

Reaction Score
I'm a musician and a song writer for a living and I constantly hear fans and non-professional musicians give me advice on what kind of song they think I should write. The suggestions are well intentioned, but are so tone deaf to what exactly is involved in getting a song cut by an artist. Also, most of these suggestions come from people who play in local bands in their hometown. So they act under the illusion that they "know music" and their advice does seem logical to them. But in reality, they are so far off base. A lot of the Hurley criticism comes from people who probably coach at the HS level, or have studied basketball as a hard-core fan. But rarely do those suggestions matter because coaching success at high D1 level cannot be truly grasped by someone who has never done it. I promise you. And if you are thinking "but I really do know what he can do better" then you're one of them.
A lot of what you state is valid…unfortunately UCONN fans,including me, are spoiled by HOF Coach Jim Calhoun….I just see things never would occur under JC. I’m old what do I know

Reaction Score
A lot of what you state is valid…unfortunately UCONN fans,including me, are spoiled by HOF Coach Jim Calhoun….I just see things never would occur under JC. I’m old what do I know
Now THAT is understandable.

Reaction Score
that’s what I mean. C’mon man. Not only wears it he refers to it. Troll? Don’t think so …you are enjoying Boneyard genesis because of my efforts. Thank God Temery et al picked up the banner and has done an unbelievable job

Wear one what? I was asking because I have never heard the phrase "aura ring" before.

But now that someone else has explained it I agree with you: removing the aura ring is PRIORITY NUMBER ONE this offseason. Priority number two is learning some set plays and not just telling them to play harder which is another thing I learned today that people seem to actually think.

Reaction Score
I am sure someone can find the quote from JC at the BE tourney in which he replied to a question about the Huskies being back, “.......well I’m not sure they’re back yet....”

He knows there’s a way to go and I’m sure he could assist and would love to if reached out to more. Bet he goes to dad more than JC, just guessing!

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
I alluded to this in another thread but agree - he's got LOADS of resources at his fingertips now at a big time blue-blood school. A hall of fame coach for a dad, a hall of fame former coach in Jim Calhoun. That's not to mention guys like Kimani Young and Tom Moore who are top notch as far as assistants go.
I was one of those who hoped Calhoun would be spending more time around the program once he resigned from USJ earlier this season. I had visions of a mentor-mentee relationship on par with Calhoun-Ollie '12-'14, with Jim sitting court side. I just loved the idea of Calhoun, the tough-love disciplinarian Bad Cop to Hurley's fist-bumping, hype-man Good Cop. I think they'd be a dynamic duo.

I know from the program's SM accounts that Coach Calhoun came and spoke to the players on at least one occasion this season. But, otherwise, he seems to give Hurley his space. His comments to media this year led me to believe that he isn't a program "insider." He also made some comments during BET coverage that struck me as a bit critical of the style & caliber of player that DH has been recruiting (although I am willing to concede I may just be reading too much into what he said).

Is it too late to make this happen? Is JC up to it at 80 years old? I think this would benefit DH tremendously.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dont worry BigErn has no idea what you are talking about

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom