Long Offseason | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Long Offseason

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm a musician and a song writer for a living and I constantly hear fans and non-professional musicians give me advice on what kind of song they think I should write. The suggestions are well intentioned, but are so tone deaf to what exactly is involved in getting a song cut by an artist. Also, most of these suggestions come from people who play in local bands in their hometown. Even music school graduates are so green to the process. So they act under the illusion that they "know music" and their advice does seem logical to them. But in reality, they are so far off base. A lot of the Hurley criticism comes from people who probably coach at the HS level, or have studied basketball as a hard-core fan. But rarely do those suggestions matter because coaching success at high D1 level cannot be truly grasped by someone who has never done it. I promise you. And if you are thinking "but I really do know what he can do better" then you're one of them.
Totally get that. But I watched Calhoun and then Roy Williams a lot. And now Bill Self too. I pay attention to coaches that seem at the top of their craft. All I can say is that UConn seems different under Hurley. So do I have the answers as a fan? No. But I am not seeing a guy on that level. I’m seeing a really good cover band or opening act.

He was never a strong X&O guy at Wagner or URI. He recruits and gets guys to play hard. He needs to recognize it and grow into the job. I am sure he can. But step 1 is self awareness that what he is doing can only take him so far. It’s been 5 years. It is very hard in every profession for people who got promoted and had success to realize that what got them that far may not take them further.

Reaction Score
Totally get that. But I watched Calhoun and then Roy Williams a lot. And now Bill Self too. I pay attention to coaches that seem at the top of their craft. All I can say is that UConn seems different under Hurley. So do I have the answers as a fan? No. But I am not seeing a guy on that level. I’m seeing a really good cover band or opening act.

He was never a strong X&O guy at Wagner or URI. He recruits and gets guys to play hard. He needs to recognize it and grow into the job. I am sure he can. But step 1 is self awareness that what he is doing can only take him so far. It’s been 5 years. It is very hard in every profession for people who got promoted and had success to realize that what got them that far may not take them further.
Totally fair and well said. A music fan does have the acuity to say "I've seen this band a bunch of times before and they aren't as good as they used to be". This is 100% valid. But very different if this fan went backstage after the show and said "here's what you guys should do"

Reaction Score
So the answer is DH should rewatch game tape and read strategy books??? I’ll bet he and his staff have watched every single game more times than civilians have watched Animal House. Also included are the players. Anyone that doesn’t believe that was never part of team after high school.
Most here had grand delusions for this season, all the returning players etc however minus the guy that went to the NBA and the other UH, the other returning guys were streaky shooters/scorers at best.

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch that Larry Brown is Penny's assistant at Memphis? IMO DH needs that kind of wisdom on his bench to help w/in-game adjustments on both sides of the ball.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Did anyone catch that Larry Brown is Penny's assistant at Memphis? IMO DH needs that kind of wisdom on his bench to help w/in-game adjustments on both sides of the ball.
Larry Brown is a set of violations waiting to be announced.

Reaction Score
Sound concept.

John Beilein's name came to mind until I researched it and he is working in player development for the Detroit Pistons.

Problem is that an ex-coach with that kind of wisdom and acumen(who wants to work in his late 60's or 70's) probably would get paid a whole lot more for being an announcer (Gillen) or might just want to enjoy retirement on the accumulated earnings over many years of coaching.

And, maybe they don't want to relocate to Storrs from another area they are accustomed to, and where family resides.

What are current assistants there for anyway? They should know about in game adjustments and X's and O's.

Reaction Score
Sound concept.

John Beilein's name came to mind until I researched it and he is working in player development for the Detroit Pistons.

Problem is that an ex-coach with that kind of wisdom and acumen(who wants to work in his late 60's or 70's) probably would get paid a whole lot more for being an announcer (Gillen) or might just want to enjoy retirement on the accumulated earnings over many years of coaching.

And, maybe they don't want to relocate to Storrs from another area they are accustomed to, and where family resides.

What are current assistants there for anyway? They should know about in game adjustments and X's and O's.
Good points... LB is 81! I guess that he just loves the game!

Reaction Score
A lot of what you state is valid…unfortunately UCONN fans,including me, are spoiled by HOF Coach Jim Calhoun….I just see things never would occur under JC. I’m old what do I know

*UConn

Reaction Score
I was one of those who hoped Calhoun would be spending more time around the program once he resigned from USJ earlier this season. I had visions of a mentor-mentee relationship on par with Calhoun-Ollie '12-'14, with Jim sitting court side. I just loved the idea of Calhoun, the tough-love disciplinarian Bad Cop to Hurley's fist-bumping, hype-man Good Cop. I think they'd be a dynamic duo.

I know from the program's SM accounts that Coach Calhoun came and spoke to the players on at least one occasion this season. But, otherwise, he seems to give Hurley his space. His comments to media this year led me to believe that he isn't a program "insider." He also made some comments during BET coverage that struck me as a bit critical of the style & caliber of player that DH has been recruiting (although I am willing to concede I may just be reading too much into what he said).

Is it too late to make this happen? Is JC up to it at 80 years old? I think this would benefit DH tremendously.
Maybe Hurley doesn't want JC sitting next to him on the bench, like a guy doesn't want his wife with him on the golf course when he is with other guys.

I don't know. Maybe JC is already giving advice before and after the game, and we don't know about it.

If JC were on the bench and the team's performance improved, then would DH give credit to Calhoun, or would DH feel threatened by JC's comments how it should have happened a long time ago? And, how would JC answer media questions about the relationship?

Lots of human dynamics involved. I don't know how the Brown and Hardaway situation plays out between the two of them.

Still, JC's advice would only benefit DH, I am sure.

Reaction Score
Totally fair and well said. A music fan does have the acuity to say "I've seen this band a bunch of times before and they aren't as good as they used to be". This is 100% valid. But very different if this fan went backstage after the show and said "here's what you guys should do"

I used to be backstage at lots of Picasso Jelly shows...

Reaction Score
I alluded to this in another thread but agree - he's got LOADS of resources at his fingertips now at a big time blue-blood school. A hall of fame coach for a dad, a hall of fame former coach in Jim Calhoun. That's not to mention guys like Kimani Young and Tom Moore who are top notch as far as assistants go.
And he shares an office with Geno, who knows a thing or two about basketball.

Reaction Score

What did you think of Self after Bucknell and Bradley in consecutive years? (I might be botching the schools but I'm too lazy to look it up.) At least one of those losses - maybe both - were when I was in law school and I remember one of the guys I lived with was from a family of Jayhawks, some of whom were in town, and they were m- Self like crazy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What did you think of Self after Bucknell and Bradley in consecutive years? (I might be botching the schools but I'm too lazy to look it up.) At least one of those losses - maybe both - were when I was in law school and I remember one of the guys I lived with was from a family of Jayhawks, some of whom were in town, and they were m- Self like crazy.
They haven’t missed the tournament since 1989 (Larry Brown probation year). Their worst seed under Self (since 2004) is 4. Nine times a #1 seed. Bucknell loss was 2005. Bradley was 2006. So early on. Both close losses as #3 seeds. It happens. Calipari just got bounced as a #2. Those are the only fist round losses in 32 years in a row of making the tournament. Not much to complain about really.

I‘ve seen them play with teams focused on great bigs, great guards, great wings, but unlike Duke and Kentucky they usually have some 3 stars in the mix. But Self adapts to what he’s got, it’s what I want to see Hurley do. I know everyone here hates him, but he’s a hell of a coach. The play good D and run an attractive offense with lots of motion and cuts. I think they’ve got a good shot at it this year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Both close losses as #3 seeds. It happens.
So, "it happens" if you lose as a three seed to Bucknell (really? Bucknell?) and Bradley (not 1950's Bradley but early 21st century Bradley) but Hurley gets bounced as a seven against Maryland and then as a five against NMSU and you've seen enough to make the assessment that this is different"?

All posturing, joking, positioning aside: please explain how anyone can claim that Hurley is at a different stage in his career today than Self was mid-March 2006? I really need you to answer this.

Reaction Score
So, "it happens" if you lose as a three seed to Bucknell (really? Bucknell?) and Bradley (not 1950's Bradley but early 21st century Bradley) but Hurley gets bounced as a seven against Maryland and then as a five against NMSU and you've seen enough to make the assessment that this is different"?

All posturing, joking, positioning aside: please explain how anyone can claim that Hurley is at a different stage in his career today than Self was mid-March 2006? I really need you to answer this.
Is this really a question?

Prior to Kansas self had taken Tulsa to their first ever elite 8. He then goes to Illinois for 3 years and is big 10 champs 2 years, big 10 tourney champs once, and 3 ncaa tournaments with an elite 8, sweet 16 and 2nd round exit

He arrives at Kansas and makes the elite 8 his first year. The next 2 years he lost to Bucknell and Bradley. So that 3 ncaa appearances and an elite 8 in 3 seasons. That’s a little different and he had a hell of a track record well beyond Hurley prior to Kansas

Reaction Score
Yes, 64-63 loss to 14 seed Bucknell in 2005 and 77-73 to 13 seed Bradley in 2006. Also lost to 9th seeded N. Iowa in 2010 as a 1 seed and a 10 vs 2 matchup vs Stanford in 2014 and 7 vs 2 in 2015 vs WSU but, IMO, made up for it with quite a few successful runs too.

Reaction Score
I am sure someone can find the quote from JC at the BE tourney in which he replied to a question about the Huskies being back, “.......well I’m not sure they’re back yet....”

He knows there’s a way to go and I’m sure he could assist and would love to if reached out to more. Bet he goes to dad more than JC, just guessing!
Not according to his dad
"Danny’s more inclined to call Fran Fraschilla or Seth Greenberg than he is to call me over a basketball thing,” Bob said. “Just because he’s gonna see them a lot, and I’m viewed as being a very good high school coach, but I didn’t coach at the college level. If they ask me questions, I’ll answer what I think. But, it’s good to be dad and to watch the fun part and suffer silently when things aren’t going well."

Reaction Score
Teams that have higher seeds(1-3) obviously have more success. The trick is having better regular seasons. Once that happens Hurley will magically learn how to win in the tournament

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom