Long Article on Caroline Ducharme from Mike Anthony | The Boneyard

Long Article on Caroline Ducharme from Mike Anthony

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Auriemma began recruiting Ducharme about two years ago but didn’t immediately offer a scholarship.

“She was under the radar a little bit,” Auriemma said. “When you first look at her, you’re not quite sure she can play at the highest level. But then when you play against her, watch her on the court, you can see like, wow, that kid’s really good. What I like the most about her is that during the recruiting process, I had to say to her a couple times, ‘We have no idea what our scholarship situation is. If you can hang in there with is, I think it’s going to work out great. But if you need to make a decision and go someplace [else], I truly understand.’ The kid was like, ‘No, Coach, just be honest with me, tell me where I stand and I’ll make my decision based on that.’ I told her I just need to sort some things out — who’s coming back, who’s not. I knew all along that I wanted her to be here and I’m really excited about her coming. She’s kind of an edgy kid, which I really like.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
“Coach basically said [to Caroline], ‘I’m going to tell you what I’ve told every one of my recruits, including Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi, that if you come here and you play well, you’ll play, and if you suck, you won’t,’” Todd Ducharme said. “And she said, ‘I’m in. Where do I sign.’ That literally was the line like, ‘I’m going to work so hard that you have to play me.’”

Reaction Score
I'm all for feel good stories..but they are often only that. I hope Caroline Ducharme is for real. Btw did she face good competiton in HS?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
With Paige, Azzi and Caroline we will not be the worst shooting team on America. I also expect Nika to be better 3 point threat.
With the options of Paige, Azzi, Caroline and Saylor, Nika should not have to shoot any 3s...just require her to bring up the ball and focus on her very good defensive abilities.

Reaction Score
With the options of Paige, Azzi, Caroline and Saylor, Nika should not have to shoot any 3s...just require her to bring up the ball and focus on her very good defensive abilities.
Fudd, Ducharme and Poffenberger have not played a serious minute of D1 basketball yet. I don’t think Muhl chose to stay in the US at the expense of playing for her country to settle for bringing the ball up and playing defense.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Caroline is edgy. Nika is the hard nose guard, Paige is the field general and Azzi is the sharp shooter. Add Christyn as the aggressor and E as the heart and soul and you have a deadly back court combination. These young ladies have no intention of sitting on the pines. This coming season is going to be a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
Fudd, Ducharme and Poffenberger have not played a serious minute of D1 basketball yet. I don’t think Muhl chose to stay in the US at the expense of playing for her country to settle for bringing the ball up and playing defense.
For some UConn fans Muhl will never earn their respect. She could score 20 a night and people would still be looking to cut her minutes or replace her with someone else. I don't get it. Like what does she have to do to be worthy?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika herself said she'd rather get an assist than a basket. She's fine with the others shooting bombs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nika herself said she'd rather get an assist than a basket. She's fine with the others shooting bombs.
There's a story (I think it was when Geno watched her play, but it might have just been on video), where she dishes an assist to one of her teammates who scores. Nika ran back up the court celebrating like she just won a trip to Disney.

She literally LIVES to not only do the dirty work (things on the court other players would rather not do), but to make everyone around her better. She truly is a gem. Not only will she start next season, IMHO she will get more minutes than any other guard not named Paige (and maybe Christyn).

Reaction Score
Auriemma began recruiting Ducharme about two years ago but didn’t immediately offer a scholarship.

“She was under the radar a little bit,” Auriemma said. “When you first look at her, you’re not quite sure she can play at the highest level. But then when you play against her, watch her on the court, you can see like, wow, that kid’s really good. What I like the most about her is that during the recruiting process, I had to say to her a couple times, ‘We have no idea what our scholarship situation is. If you can hang in there with is, I think it’s going to work out great. But if you need to make a decision and go someplace [else], I truly understand.’ The kid was like, ‘No, Coach, just be honest with me, tell me where I stand and I’ll make my decision based on that.’ I told her I just need to sort some things out — who’s coming back, who’s not. I knew all along that I wanted her to be here and I’m really excited about her coming. She’s kind of an edgy kid, which I really like.”

Boston girls are tough and she'll figure out a way. She's got the mean streak and she'll be one of my favorites.

Reaction Score
No doubt, but “bringing the ball up” has a “dribble past half court, give it up and get out of the way“ intimation to it; at least to me. Maybe the poster didn’t mean it that way but that’s how I took it and my reply was based on that.

Reaction Score
Caroline is edgy. Nika is the hard nose guard, Paige is the field general and Azzi is the sharp shooter. Add Christyn as the aggressor and E as the heart and soul and you have a deadly back court combination. These young ladies have no intention of sitting on the pines. This coming season is going to be a lot of fun.
Six players for three positions. With Dorka and Amari available, Geno isn’t thinking four guard lineups. Time for a 10-player rotation, just like the NBA has done for 60 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For some UConn fans Muhl will never earn their respect. She could score 20 a night and people would still be looking to cut her minutes or replace her with someone else. I don't get it. Like what does she have to do to be worthy?
I, for one, support any player who scores 20 points a night for us. They can score more than that if they want too. I’m flexible.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
point guards have to shoot 3's so the defense can't sag off of her. it's part of her job description to keep the defense honest and she did a great job of making the D pay any time they tried to sag off. IMO, I expect improvement from her and it's going to be very difficult for any player to move Nika to the bench.

Reaction Score
In all of our championship teams, every person on the floor had to be a scoring threat. Nika will shoot when she's open. I hope that she still starts next year.. Her demeanor on the court was awesome, once she stopped fouling :p

W

wolfe613

I have not seen anything that was outrageous all was criticizing how she was playing from other posters there's nothing wrong with that. In that Arz game she looked wreckless and out of control.

Reaction Score
There's a story (I think it was when Geno watched her play, but it might have just been on video), where she dishes an assist to one of her teammates who scores. Nika ran back up the court celebrating like she just won a trip to Disney.

She literally LIVES to not only do the dirty work (things on the court other players would rather not do), but to make everyone around her better. She truly is a gem. Not only will she start next season, IMHO she will get more minutes than any other guard not named Paige (and maybe Christyn).
if NM gets more minutes on the court then the best shooter in amateur basketball (Azzi Fudd), then that means Fudd had a serious injury...................I really hope that's not the case......;).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
if NM gets more minutes on the court then the best shooter in amateur basketball (Azzi Fudd), then that means Fudd had a serious injury...................I really hope that's not the case......;).
We will see. Listen to Geno's comments this past season about Nika. He absolutely raved about how good she was, how important she was to the team, and most importantly, how much better the team played with her at full health. Some are overly salivating about the prospect of Azzi playing major minutes - a large number even penned her in as a starter ahead of Nika.

Azzi may be a scorer, but Nika is the engine that drove the train, and frankly, the most important player on the floor. Just ask anyone who has seen Bird at her best. And there is no better, or more intense, guard defender on the team.

One other tidbit - Nika passed on going back to Croatia to play on her national team and opted to stay at UCONN saying something like "UCONN is my national team now". I don't have the quote handy but it was something like that. Her dedication and commitment will not go unnoticed by Geno and the staff.

Any minutes reduced to make room for Azzi IMHO will come from Evina, Christyn, and maybe even Paige (also Mir/Aubrey). Why? Because IMHO Nika will be the starting PG. When she comes out, Paige will replace her as the PG. Azzi will play the 2/3. That means she will be competing for minutes with Christyn, Evina, Caroline, Saylor, and to a lesser extent, Mir and Aubrey.

Just my opinion obviously. I have no doubt you, and others, may disagree. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I am sure Geno doesn't even know yet. He has no idea how Caroline and Azzi will mesh and develop. What a blessing to have so much talent and depth at literally all positions - 1 thru 5. Can't wait for this season to start!!

Reaction Score
Six players for three positions. With Dorka and Amari available, Geno isn’t thinking four guard lineups. Time for a 10-player rotation, just like the NBA has done for 60 years.
Remember they play 48 minute games......hmmm

Reaction Score
We will see. Listen to Geno's comments this past season about Nika. He absolutely raved about how good she was, how important she was to the team, and most importantly, how much better the team played with her at full health. Some are overly salivating about the prospect of Azzi playing major minutes - a large number even penned her in as a starter ahead of Nika.

Azzi may be a scorer, but Nika is the engine that drove the train, and frankly, the most important player on the floor. Just ask anyone who has seen Bird at her best. And there is no better, or more intense, guard defender on the team.

One other tidbit - Nika passed on going back to Croatia to play on her national team and opted to stay at UCONN saying something like "UCONN is my national team now". I don't have the quote handy but it was something like that. Her dedication and commitment will not go unnoticed by Geno and the staff.

Any minutes reduced to make room for Azzi IMHO will come from Evina, Christyn, and maybe even Paige (also Mir/Aubrey). Why? Because IMHO Nika will be the starting PG. When she comes out, Paige will replace her as the PG. Azzi will play the 2/3. That means she will be competing for minutes with Christyn, Evina, Caroline, Saylor, and to a lesser extent, Mir and Aubrey.

Just my opinion obviously. I have no doubt you, and others, may disagree. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I am sure Geno doesn't even know yet. He has no idea how Caroline and Azzi will mesh and develop. What a blessing to have so much talent and depth at literally all positions - 1 thru 5. Can't wait for this season to start!!
If Fudd is at 100% she starts every game she plays in a UConn uniform..............I remember having this argument last year about PB starting.............many thought she would be worked in slowly..............I said talent like that doesn't sit on a bench at the start of a game and I think we will see the same thing with ...........not only is she a superb basketball player, she also already has a relationship on the court with PB so they will hit the ground running...........if they both stay healthy we should enjoy watching one of the greatest back court combos in the history of women's college basketball.........NM will still play an important role as an intense ball hawking presence off the bench allowing Geno to rest his starting guards far more then in the past and after watching her last season I believe she will relish that role............

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don't think we can look at last year in an attempt to determine minutes this year nor can we predict how the freshmen will adapt.
Nika and Azzi play different positions. Azzi's minutes will come from E and CW. Paige or E can take over the point when Nika needs a break.
E particularly will see fewer minutes because there is competition at the 4 where she filled in admirably last year.
Geno has already stated that unless she improves, O will see her 'touches' reduced to Aaliyah.
That comment was made before the commitment of Dorka.

But the bottom line is this; playing time is determined by how well you play defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom