Long Article on Caroline Ducharme from Mike Anthony | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Long Article on Caroline Ducharme from Mike Anthony

Reaction Score
@Charliebball, I don't remember having a different take on any of your posts. But coming into this team as a freshman is not at all like the team PB came into. Last year we were sure of only 4 starters. This year, they are all back and six deep. (I count the 5 starters and Aaliyah as locks) A freshman coming into this team is more like DT's freshman year. I think she will have a season like Diana did her first year. Also, I can't see her taking minutes from Nika. Nika is unique to this team and she too has an on court relationship with PB. Also remember Geno's priorities are defense over offense.
You are correct, the two years are not comparable. We had no returning PG's last year, but three incoming players competing for that job, two freshmen Paige and Nika, and one transfer in Evina who can play there although it might not be her best position. The path to significant playing time and starting for Paige was much easier than it will be for Azzi, regardless of who the better player is.

The Diana reference is a good one here as well. I sometimes think of all the impressive things Shea Ralph has done, perhaps the biggest was being the reason the GOAT came off the bench her freshmen year. Do I hope Azzi can beat out say Christyn or Evina for a starting role? Yea I do, because that probably means she is not just better, but clearly way better than a very good senior incumbent starter, forcing Geno to make the difficult decision. She might do it, but clearly she has a much more difficult road to get there.

Another factor as many have mentioned is with Dorka and Amari coming onboard, and Aaliyah earning a start, there is no longer a need to play a guard at the 4. Remember with Nika we really have 4 returning starting guards for now only 3 not 4 positions. One of those incumbent starters probably gets demoted even without Azzi. If Azzi starts, then two incumbent starters are benched.

With 6 quality players for 3 positions, to me there are only two things I am fairly certain of, Paige is the only guaranteed starter at least at this early stage, and that of the 6, Carolyn will at least start off training camp as #6 with the chance to move up if she earns it. Everything in between is clearly in play and to be determined. Assuming Paige starts and Carolyn does not, the Boneyard has plenty of supporters for every combination of which two of the remaining four contenders starts. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
You are correct, the two years are not comparable. We had no returning PG's last year, but three incoming players competing for that job, two freshmen Paige and Nika, and one transfer in Evina who can play there although it might not be her best position. The path to significant playing time and starting for Paige was much easier than it will be for Azzi, regardless of who the better player is.

The Diana reference is a good one here as well. I sometimes think of all the impressive things Shea Ralph has done, perhaps the biggest was being the reason the GOAT came off the bench her freshmen year. Do I hope Azzi can beat out say Christyn or Evina for a starting role? Yea I do, because that probably means she is not just better, but clearly way better than a very good senior incumbent starter, forcing Geno to make the difficult decision. She might do it, but clearly she has a much more difficult road to get there.

Another factor as many have mentioned is with Dorka and Amari coming onboard, and Aaliyah earning a start, there is no longer a need to play a guard at the 4. Remember with Nika we really have 4 returning starting guards for now only 3 not 4 positions. One of those incumbent starters probably gets demoted even without Azzi. If Azzi starts, then two incumbent starters are benched.

With 6 quality players for 3 positions, to me there are only two things I am fairly certain of, Paige is the only guaranteed starter at least at this early stage, and that of the 6, Carolyn will at least start off training camp as #6 with the chance to move up if she earns it. Everything in between is clearly in play and to be determined. Assuming Paige starts and Carolyn does not, the Boneyard has plenty of supporters for every combination of which two of the remaining four contenders starts. Time will tell.
This is a really excellent post. I’m still hopeful that Paige, Nika and Azzi will be the three starting guards; that is an imposing threesome.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I will offer another view that many here will take offense at; a view that was shared with me and others by a HS WBB coach in NJ at one of the consistently top teams in the state. She felt Auriemma moved Bueckers off the ball so quickly because he realized she was not a PG at this level. While acknowledging that WITHOUT A DOUBT she is a GREAT player, this women’s opinion was that she has one weakness in her game in that she can’t really break down defenses, that she is not a great one on one player, in other words she needs picks, movement AWAY from the ball, etc. to get her offense.
Interesting because she knew Bueckers game quite well and cited how as the season went on, teams overplayed and took away her one signature half court move, the drive right to the baseline or just off the baseline jumper. This was offered as no knock on Bueckers at all and I don’t offer it as such either; just an opinion from one whose view comes IMO from a very objective angle.
In point of fact, it was offered during a discussion of Auriemma and his ability to put players into positions to succeed, offered as proof of the premise, not as a criticism of Bueckers.
Thanks for this. I think you are exactly right on this point. It is definitely not a knock on Paige. She is a great passer, but not a point. Sometimes we forget how complicated the point position. At UConn we should remember the two great points we had recently, MoJeff and Crystal Dangerfield, were not good points until at least part way through their sophomore year. I think we don't give Nika enough credit.

Reaction Score
Why would you possibly take offense over an observation about a basketball player?
Charliebball, I certainly owe you an apology, I used the word “offense” in the post you replied to and I can make up whatever excuse but the truth is, I didn’t realize it and your response was entirely appropriate, my bad for sure. Not the first time for my big mouth and probably not the last, but my sincere apologies.

Reaction Score
Geno "loves" Nika as he sees a lot of himself in her!
His roots going back to Italy and Nika's going back to Croatia, the European mind-set/values that a person born and raised in the good old USA isn't raised with!
So just as CD2 had Geno's respect and admiration and started, Nika will start because Geno trusts her to give 110% every minute, not that other UCONN players don't but Nika's values are different!
IMHO, the 5 starters for the 1st 4 or 5 games will be:
Paige Bueckers SG
Nika Muhl PG
Christyn Williams SF
Aaliyah Edwards PF
Dorka Juhasz C
The 1st players off the bench will be:
Olivia Nelson-Ododa C and Azzi Fudd G ( Azzi will still average 28 to 30 minutes a game)
Remember though Geno really doesn't have Positions they are interchangeable parts to the puzzle!
As the season progresses I wouldn't be surprised to see Evina Westbrook, Azzi, and ONO, starting!
I agree with the first part of your post, why Geno really loves and appreciates Nika. However there is no chance of Evina not starting, at least the first couple of games. She is the one that mentally carries the team and has the most experience out of everyone. It has been said time and time again how she’s the MVP from her teammates. She does it all. Geno trusts her, like hers decisions in games and she seems the be the most mature player. And Dorka over Liv is not set either. We have no idea how she’ll perform in Geno’s system. He said Dorka really wanted to come to Uconn, doesn’t sound like Uconn was chasing her much and rather is giving her an opportunity (not that they didn’t want her/she doesn’t fill a need because she definitely has the potential too.) I just think it’s a bit early to say seniors/returning starters Liv and Evina will not be starting once again. I can see everyone’s minutes dropping, but I think maybe one starting spot is up in the air, if any.

Reaction Score
Do I hope Azzi can beat out say Christyn or Evina for a starting role? Yea I do, because that probably means she is not just better, but clearly way better than a very good senior incumbent starter, forcing Geno to make the difficult decision.

tell.

I think you’ve got it backward. If Azzi starts over CW it almost surely means that CW is playing horribly.
So, no, I don’t root for Azzi to start over CW or EW.

Geno values tenure experience effort and leadership. Great frosh get starting roles only if there’s an opening (senior graduation or injury) or the team is not playing well.

Reaction Score
I don't think we can look at last year in an attempt to determine minutes this year nor can we predict how the freshmen will adapt.
Nika and Azzi play different positions. Azzi's minutes will come from E and CW. Paige or E can take over the point when Nika needs a break.
E particularly will see fewer minutes because there is competition at the 4 where she filled in admirably last year.
Geno has already stated that unless she improves, O will see her 'touches' reduced to Aaliyah.
That comment was made before the commitment of Dorka.

But the bottom line is this; playing time is determined by how well you play defense.

Charliebball, I certainly owe you an apology, I used the word “offense” in the post you replied to and I can make up whatever excuse but the truth is, I didn’t realize it and your response was entirely appropriate, my bad for sure. Not the first time for my big mouth and probably not the last, but my sincere apologies.
No problem.........:)

Reaction Score
This is the first time I've heard of Christyn getting demoted.

Reaction Score
For some UConn fans Muhl will never earn their respect. She could score 20 a night and people would still be looking to cut her minutes or replace her with someone else. I don't get it. Like what does she have to do to be worthy?
just tune out those idiots. NM has proven to be a very capable player as a freshman when most on this site thought she would not be. she just looked at everybody who doubted her and said:

'Piss off, Im a very good player, Im not slow as many (and you know who you are so don't hide!) would say, I can and will hit the three as many say I cant, and I do a lot of things people dont give me credit for like my defence and passing (well at least until GA said something, then you all loved me!). I do need to work on my layups and that is on my list for next year!'

One person (who shall be nameless) said she wasnt any better than Molly Bent along with a lot of other demeaning posts...yeah ok....

the biggest thing i like about her, is that the game wasnt too big for her despite all the negativity...she showed everybody she belongs.

Since GA put her in as a starter, the naysayers on this board went into hiding!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think we can look at last year in an attempt to determine minutes this year nor can we predict how the freshmen will adapt.
Nika and Azzi play different positions. Azzi's minutes will come from E and CW. Paige or E can take over the point when Nika needs a break.
E particularly will see fewer minutes because there is competition at the 4 where she filled in admirably last year.
Geno has already stated that unless she improves, O will see her 'touches' reduced to Aaliyah.
That comment was made before the commitment of Dorka.

But the bottom line is this; playing time is determined by how well you play defense.
if she hits the three and can play better D than CW, then CW sits....

Reaction Score
Geno "loves" Nika as he sees a lot of himself in her!
His roots going back to Italy and Nika's going back to Croatia, the European mind-set/values that a person born and raised in the good old USA isn't raised with!
So just as CD2 had Geno's respect and admiration and started, Nika will start because Geno trusts her to give 110% every minute, not that other UCONN players don't but Nika's values are different!
IMHO, the 5 starters for the 1st 4 or 5 games will be:
Paige Bueckers SG
Nika Muhl PG
Christyn Williams SF
Aaliyah Edwards PF
Dorka Juhasz C
The 1st players off the bench will be:
Olivia Nelson-Ododa C and Azzi Fudd G ( Azzi will still average 28 to 30 minutes a game)
Remember though Geno really doesn't have Positions they are interchangeable parts to the puzzle!
As the season progresses I wouldn't be surprised to see Evina Westbrook, Azzi, and ONO, starting!
Geno emigrated when he was seven years old to Norristown, PA (northern suburb of Philadelphia) with his family. Philly toughness combined with his folks' traditions - appears to be an outstanding combination for the greatest women's college basketball coach ever!!!
I believe the starting lineup will stabilize at the Louisville HOF game in December, and developing mismatches with Geno's "positionless" basketball will be the key to the 2022 run to the National Championship.
I hope to see them again at Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse in the coming year. They will be amazing to watch, and I am not concerned about who is playing when, as I believe no one will be able to get within ten points of them in the last two minutes of any game - including Stanford and South Carolina, who are good but not great. These Huskies will be great come tournament time. Go Huskies! Stay healthy!

Reaction Score
I think you’ve got it backward. If Azzi starts over CW it almost surely means that CW is playing horribly.
So, no, I don’t root for Azzi to start over CW or EW.

It most certainly does not mean that.

Reaction Score
Ok show me an example of a UConn player losing her starting spot to a frosh.
That's not what you said.

In essense you said that if Williams isn't as good as Fudd then she stinks.

Reaction Score
Who starts in the backcourt is far from settled. In fact who starts anywhere is unknown since Bueckers could conceivably end up at the wing. Seniors start because they are better, not due to some loyalty. Out-performing a senior, with 3 years of UConn coaching/training is a tall task for a freshman. But would Bueckers have started over Williams last season if it had come down to that? Many say that Fudd is at least as talented and productive as Bueckers.
The question gets complicated when you have to not only analyze each players skills but also have to see which combinations work better than others. The possibilities are endless given the depth and breadth of the talent this year. It's not my decision so I just get to watch and critique. :)

Reaction Score
Who starts in the backcourt is far from settled. In fact who starts anywhere is unknown since Bueckers could conceivably end up at the wing. Seniors start because they are better, not due to some loyalty. Out-performing a senior, with 3 years of UConn coaching/training is a tall task for a freshman. But would Bueckers have started over Williams last season if it had come down to that? Many say that Fudd is at least as talented and productive as Bueckers.
The question gets complicated when you have to not only analyze each players skills but also have to see which combinations work better than others. The possibilities are endless given the depth and breadth of the talent this year. It's not my decision so I just get to watch and critique. :)
Agree, one other point, many posters put all their emphasis on offense when commenting, while the coaching staff obviously looks at playing time from a much broader angle; in point of fact offense quite possibly comes in third to defense and team chemistry.

Reaction Score
Azzi & Paige have great chemistry. Hard to replicate that on the court. They know each other' games so well. So, Azzi will probably start w/Paige to take advantage of their relationship. This is not a knock on Nika. I think her game is well-suited for a 6th man role anyway - bring instant energy & intensity off the bench.

Reaction Score
So you too are ready to send Christyn Williams out to pasture in her senior year? I don't think so.
Azzi and Paige are both generational players who could be the starting guards on the Olympic team for years. Being replaced by either of them hardly rates a “put out to pasture” metaphor.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is going to have to really consider going ten deep next season on a regular basis............last season PB averaged 36 mpg, CW 34 mpg and EW 30 mpg.............with this kind of depth there's little reason for any player to be logging over 30 minutes per game..........

Reaction Score
I think the rotation will start out similar to the end of last year. Thier was no glaring weakness that needed to be filled. Some complained of a lack of outside shooters and dominant go-to post play. The four newcomers would have to earn their way up the ranks with great play and keeping up the great defence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom