Long Article on Caroline Ducharme from Mike Anthony | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Long Article on Caroline Ducharme from Mike Anthony

Reaction Score
I’m ecstatic that we have Ducharme. She’s a terrific fit for what Geno wants to do.

He has 3 players that can play quality pg now with Nika, Paige and Azzi. Make no mistake Paige and Azzi can easily play pg. It’s not just Nika. As a result, the 1/2/3 combo of Paige/Azzi and Ducharme regarding future scoring capabilities could be amazing. And by Paige’s junior year she should be able to also play SF -meaning that Nika will remain a terrific glue player even if Ducharme, Paige and Azzi are tremendous.

In regards to Ducharme- Geno prefers offense – and she is a natural 2/3. I know some refuse to believe that he prefers offense – but listen to the podcast that UconnCat had provided a while back (link below). (and he played Anna over Griff for a reason. Nor did he start Griffin this year even though he was smaller at PF without her.) He says the following from the podcast:

“The game has changed so much that if you can’t shoot the ball then you can’t play basketball the way the game is played today.”

Geno on Slappin' Glass Podcast

For those that want defense/defense/defense – at least to this point- that’s not Geno. I’m bias – Geno coaches to the style (offense) I love. Not a fan of “grind” basketball. And Ducharme seems to have the potential makings of a free-flowing scorer.

I don’t expect she’ll get many minutes her frosh year - but interested to see if the extended 3pt line will affect her shot. If she can’t hit her outside shot- then she’s going to struggle to play (she can still play as a niche player but ofc we would love to see much greater than niche.). If she can hit the 3 and attack the basket with success which it seems she likes to do—then she’ll become tremendous. I love that she is coming to UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's not what you said.

In essense you said that if Williams isn't as good as Fudd then she stinks.
No. I said CW will not lose her starting spot, regardless of Fudd, unless she is terrible.

the idea that “fudd is better so she will start” has been disproven time and again by Geno.

Otherwise Kesha Maya Diana would’ve started.

Reaction Score
No. I said CW will not lose her starting spot, regardless of Fudd, unless she is terrible.

the idea that “fudd is better so she will start” has been disproven time and again by Geno.

Otherwise Kesha Maya Diana would’ve started.

OK, Give us a couple examples of Geno starting the worse of 2 players? Fudd may or may not be the better player in November. The way Williams played at the end of the season was outstanding, AA level.

What makes me laugh is that while most here would agree that Geno awards minutes based on performance in practice no one here ever sees a practice.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
On the 21-22 team, as currently constituted, there is only one pure point guard. She has the trust of the coaching staff and great on and off court relationships with all of the 20-21 players (Paige calls her 'my twin'). Paige is a master improvisational passer with great court vision who dazzles us with 3/4 court assists, who plays better in the half court as an off the ball 2/3 wing. She can also play the point when needed. Evina is rock steady solid defender who scores clutch baskets and who is suited to the 2/3 wing position. She an experienced point guard but not her natural position. Even in high school where Azzi could play the point, she too is better suited to play off the ball as a 2/3 wing. Nika is the engine that makes the team go and I am excited to see what Nika 2.0 brings to the table.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
. . . .
What makes me laugh is that while most here would agree that Geno awards minutes based on performance in practice no one here ever sees a practice.
And that is a essential or even crucial to making informed assessments—not to mention assertions—about who starts, who is awarded playing time, who will lead the team in points, etc. And without that day-to-day information (evidence?) about practice performance, how can we be so sure about much of anything? Yet many fans insist on speculating as though they were fully informed. I think a little more caution and fewer absolute claim are often in order.

Reaction Score
Sales
Shea
Diana
Maya
All were better than starters. None started.

waiting for counterexamples

So no one in the last 10 years. And at least with Maya and Taurasi they got starter minutes and they were the ones on the court late in tight games.

As much as I admired Bueckers and knew she would get major minutes I didn't think Geno would start her at first. Fudd has a much tougher battle for minutes but I think we will see Bueckers, part deux.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sales
Shea
Diana
Maya
All were better than starters. None started.

waiting for counterexamples
To that list you could add Caroline Doty starting as a fifth year senior over Bria Hartley (even though Bria got most of the minutes), and also Moriah not starting as a freshman despite being the most talented point guard on the team. KML would be yet another example of a very talented freshman who did not start.

It's not simply a matter of being respectful and loyal to seniors who have given their heart and soul to the program for three or four years, although that is a significant factor. It's also the fact that freshmen, even if they are supremely talented, are not as skilled in the UConn offensive and defensive systems as more experienced players. That is particularly an issue for point guards.

Does anyone doubt that if Crystal had been a returning senior in 2020-21, she would have started over Paige?

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. I think you are exactly right on this point. It is definitely not a knock on Paige. She is a great passer, but not a point. Sometimes we forget how complicated the point position. At UConn we should remember the two great points we had recently, MoJeff and Crystal Dangerfield, were not good points until at least part way through their sophomore year. I think we don't give Nika enough credit.
I definitely agree. Having both Paige and Azzi as the wings with a true point guard like Nika would be a devastatingly efficient offense. Both of them can come off curls armed with a three pointer, pull up and great passing instincts. One couldn’t possibly double either of them when they are on the floor together.

Reaction Score
To that list you could add Caroline Doty starting as a fifth year senior over Bria Hartley (even though Bria got most of the minutes), and also Moriah not starting as a freshman despite being the most talented point guard on the team. KML would be yet another example of a very talented freshman who did not start.

It's not simply a matter of being respectful and loyal to seniors who have given their heart and soul to the program for three or four years, although that is a significant factor. It's also the fact that freshmen, even if they are supremely talented, are not as skilled in the UConn offensive and defensive systems as more experienced players. That is particularly an issue for point guards.

Does anyone doubt that if Crystal had been a returning senior in 2020-21, she would have started over Paige?
She would have started over someone else. Paige was POY as a Freshman.

Reaction Score
I definitely agree. Having both Paige and Azzi as the wings with a true point guard like Nika would be a devastatingly efficient offense. Both of them can come off curls armed with a three pointer, pull up and great passing instincts. One couldn’t possibly double either of them when they are on the floor together.
If I had to pick a starting lineup I was rooting for, this would probably be it. Nika as a pure point guard with modest scoring and shooting abilities, but great passing ability that works best with very good three point shooters at the wing positions. Of all the options there Christyn and Evina are the "relative" weak links on perimeter shooting. I am not saying they are weak, just mediocre at 3's. Nika teamed with those two would probably not be very effective, but in some combination with two from Paige, Azzi, and Carolyn probably would be.

I always felt the move to have Nika at the point when teamed with Paige was based on several things. Paige could be great at either role, but when she is a point guard with Christyn and Evina she does not have a great shooter to pass to, and the best 3pt shooter (Paige) has the ball in her hands making it hard to free her up for a 3pointer herself.

Then when Nika was in with Paige at first she was hanging out in the corner, and being a spot up 3point shooter is certainly not her strength, same for Christyn and Evina. When Paige was moved off the ball, at least Nika had one great shooter to pass to.

This year who-ever the point guard is on the first or second unit, they will sometimes have Azzi and Carolyn to pass to in addition to Paige when she is off the ball with Nika. When Paige and Nika are together it works better with Nika at the point. That is not because Nika is the better point guard, but because Paige is much better than Nika as a shooting guard. Both are great passers, Paige can be great at positions 1-3, while Nika is more just a point guard.

For all these starter and position battles, how players work effectively with certain pairings may wind up being a decisive factor if the level of play is close. Last year's team added passing (Paige, Nika, and Evina) but was short by Uconn standards of very good three point shooters. This year we add (Azzi, Carolyn, and Saylor) for those traits, and now have the ability to mix and match those traits in many ways. In the close battles it may not be who is the better player, or who is a senior or incumbent starter, but rather who compliments the other players on the court the best, and Geno will need training camp to sort that out.

W

wolfe613

Geno emigrated when he was seven years old to Norristown, PA (northern suburb of Philadelphia) with his family. Philly toughness combined with his folks' traditions - appears to be an outstanding combination for the greatest women's college basketball coach ever!!!
I believe the starting lineup will stabilize at the Louisville HOF game in December, and developing mismatches with Geno's "positionless" basketball will be the key to the 2022 run to the National Championship.
I hope to see them again at Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse in the coming year. They will be amazing to watch, and I am not concerned about who is playing when, as I believe no one will be able to get within ten points of them in the last two minutes of any game - including Stanford and South Carolina, who are good but not great. These Huskies will be great come tournament time. Go Huskies! Stay healthy!
sorry to break this to you but Stanford and South Carolina are great teams that not only have talent but have way more experience than Uconn

Reaction Score
sorry to break this to you but Stanford and South Carolina are great teams that not only have talent but have way more experience than Uconn
UConn has four seniors. How do SC and Stanford have way more experience?

W

wolfe613

UConn has four seniors. How do SC and Stanford have way more experience?
unless you're telling me Dorka is the 4th who has yet to play a single minute with this Uconn roster then they do not have 4

Reaction Score
So no one in the last 10 years. And at least with Maya and Taurasi they got starter minutes and they were the ones on the court late in tight games.

As much as I admired Bueckers and knew she would get major minutes I didn't think Geno would start her at first. Fudd has a much tougher battle for minutes but I think we will see Bueckers, part deux.
Even Geno said he didn’t plan to start Paige at first. He wanted her coming off the bench, but she was too good not to have starting. If anyone is that good, I think they’ll start. As others have said next year is going to be a much more difficult path for a non returning starter to come and start. I don’t think anyone is going to be miles above our previous starters. And honestly I’d rather have the more experienced players start, and a freshman spark come off the bench. Nothing wrong with that and I think it’s a lot less pressure.

Reaction Score
lol. So now my examples are "too old."
Yet you've yet to provide one example of a starter losing her spot to a frosh when playing decently.

And now you try to switch the debate to minutes. No. This was about starting.

Geno adjusts minutes; rarely starters.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Even Geno said he didn’t plan to start Paige at first. He wanted her coming off the bench, but she was too good not to have starting.
Geno never said that.

Reaction Score
Geno never said that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Alright. I was thinking about AFTER she arrived on campus at which time he knew she was the best player on the team.

Not for nothin', Geno knew it before she arrived on campus.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Azzi and Paige are both generational players who could be the starting guards on the Olympic team for years. Being replaced by either of them hardly rates a “put out to pasture” metaphor.
If CW starts next season like she finished this past season the Azzi instead of CW will be no more than an after thought. She finished as a lock down defender and is good for scoring 16-20 points a game. In what world is that player put out to pasture. If CW comes back without improvement she will still be an AA candidate, I fully expect her to come back even better than last season. She may have reduced minutes but it looks like everyone's minutes will be different than in the past season. At this point the only player that puts CW on the bench is CW, as Geno often says I don't determine who plays, it's the players who do. The coach just interprets what they show him.

Reaction Score
Alright. I was thinking about AFTER she arrived on campus at which time he knew she was the best player on the team.

Not for nothin', Geno knew it before she arrived on campus.
"Once practice started and once we were together for about a week and I saw the way (Bueckers) handled herself, the way she handled the things that were being thrown at her, how she managed being in that situation among players she just barely knew ... that's when it kind of went out the window.

"That's when I said, 'I didn't expect this to happen this soon.' I knew it would happen at some point, I just didn't expect it to be that quickly and that evident."

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geno emigrated when he was seven years old to Norristown, PA (northern suburb of Philadelphia) with his family. Philly toughness combined with his folks' traditions - appears to be an outstanding combination for the greatest women's college basketball coach ever!!!
I believe the starting lineup will stabilize at the Louisville HOF game in December, and developing mismatches with Geno's "positionless" basketball will be the key to the 2022 run to the National Championship.
I hope to see them again at Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse in the coming year. They will be amazing to watch, and I am not concerned about who is playing when, as I believe no one will be able to get within ten points of them in the last two minutes of any game - including Stanford and South Carolina, who are good but not great. These Huskies will be great come tournament time. Go Huskies! Stay healthy!
This is one of those times that I wished that I still lived in Indiana. But, I can't stand the four season's, Winter is too cold, Spring has too many tornado's. Summer is too humid and I get eaten alive by mosquito's. Last is Fall with the beautiful, but it can't make up it's mind on if it's going to be a nice or horrendous day. So I will stay here in Vegas where I can watch and enjoy the game on TV.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is going to have to really consider going ten deep next season on a regular basis............last season PB averaged 36 mpg, CW 34 mpg and EW 30 mpg.............with this kind of depth there's little reason for any player to be logging over 30 minutes per game..........

You should let @oldude know so he can start saving money for his infamous pizza bets :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom