Long Article on Caroline Ducharme from Mike Anthony | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Long Article on Caroline Ducharme from Mike Anthony

Reaction Score
Alright. I was thinking about AFTER she arrived on campus at which time he knew she was the best player on the team.

Not for nothin', Geno knew it before she arrived on campus.
But what is the point you’re trying to make??

Reaction Score
If CW starts next season like she finished this past season the Azzi instead of CW will be no more than an after thought. She finished as a lock down defender and is good for scoring 16-20 points a game. In what world is that player put out to pasture. If CW comes back without improvement she will still be an AA candidate, I fully expect her to come back even better than last season. She may have reduced minutes but it looks like everyone's minutes will be different than in the past season. At this point the only player that puts CW on the bench is CW, as Geno often says I don't determine who plays, it's the players who do. The coach just interprets what they show him.
Yeah I don’t understand why others think a talented returning senior is going to be benched. She averaged the second most minutes, has started the past 3 years and by the end of the season was playing like an All American. She’s only going to get better, especially surrounded by the players she is. We shouldn’t be undervaluing a player averaging 16 ppg on 48% to go along with 4 rpg 2 apg and is the teams go to defender. And also experience is invaluable!!
I have definitely been a CW doubter and still think she needs to be more consistent and at times doesn’t play up to her potential, but I think she’s earned some respect. As you said, the only person who puts her on the bench is herself and for that to happen she would have to be injured or have a substantial unrealistic decline in production.

Reaction Score
If CW starts next season like she finished this past season the Azzi instead of CW will be no more than an after thought. She finished as a lock down defender and is good for scoring 16-20 points a game. In what world is that player put out to pasture. If CW comes back without improvement she will still be an AA candidate, I fully expect her to come back even better than last season. She may have reduced minutes but it looks like everyone's minutes will be different than in the past season. At this point the only player that puts CW on the bench is CW, as Geno often says I don't determine who plays, it's the players who do. The coach just interprets what they show him.

What's wrong with Paige, Azzi and CWill as a possibility for starters at the 1/2/3 spot and have Nika come off the bench? CWill was the "sf" last year when Nika started. So no different role for her. And Paige is a legit pg and Azzi will be fine there as well.

I agree though- CW is going to start.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
What's wrong with Paige, Azzi and CWill as a possibility for starters at the 1/2/3 spot and have Nika come off the bench? CWill was the "sf" last year when Nika started. So no different role for her. And Paige is a legit pg and Azzi will be fine there as well.

I agree though- CW is going to start.
I'm on board with your 1-2-3 starters, it will be exciting.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that Geno will begin the season with the following starting 5, Paige, Nika, CW, Evina, and Ono. He will also do some liberal subbing compared to what has happening over the past 4 years.

Reaction Score
I no longer live in CT and don't subscribe to the Post. Was there any mention of her brother, who also plays high level mbb and UConn is recruiting?

Reaction Score
I no longer live in CT and don't subscribe to the Post. Was there any mention of her brother, who also plays high level mbb and UConn is recruiting?
There were three mentions of her brother in the article:

"She [Caroline] improved as a player, though, often working out with her younger brother, Reid Ducharme, who, coincidentally is being recruited by Dan Hurley’s UConn men’s team."

"Reid is through his sophomore year at Noble, but he is transferring to Brewster Academy in New Hampshire for his junior season. New UConn men's assistant coach Luke Murray has been the main contact lately in the recruitment of Reid, a 6-6 guard."

"They [the Ducharme parents] like to say Caroline is bound for the WNBA, Reid is bound for the NBA, and Ashley [a sister] will wind up as their agent or general manager."

Reaction Score
I watched the Omni Elite Classic , and Azzi looked great. Physically she looked great. She made some, missed some but overall looked so fluid. I know the point has been made but her feel is underrated and she seems more like a 1 or 2 than a 2 or 3. Ducharme had a bit of a rough outing but u can see her talent. Definitely a legit 6'2 and used her length defensively well. Offensively she sort of struggled with her balance and got blocked a couple of times but I feel like that could've been a rythme thing

Reaction Score
lol. So now my examples are "too old."
Yet you've yet to provide one example of a starter losing her spot to a frosh when playing decently.

And now you try to switch the debate to minutes. No. This was about starting.

Geno adjusts minutes; rarely starters.

I wasn't the one who made the original comment. I had no POV to defend and yet you answered my question with another question. And you right about the minutes thing.

I think our discussion started when you commented that unless she was terrible Williams would start. I disagree. She can play like she did most of last season, which was far from terrible, and still lose her starting position. But if she plays like she did at the end of the season she will be an AA. The competition this summer/fall is going to be intense.

I looked back over the last few years what it shows is that Geno had 5 regular starters since 2017 and the 5th starter fill-ins were consistent. In the last 2 seasons his loyalty has been to 4 starters and the 5th has varied throughout the season, in part due to injuries. Does Geno start Muhl, who lost her starting slot to injury but who started the most games, or Edwards, who was playing like an AA by late last season? Or all-everything Fudd?

I don't see any of the freshmen getting many minutes with the exception of Fudd, who I believe Geno said was more fundamentally prepared coming in in all phases of the game than Maya Moore was in 2007. He said that Moore was his best freshman as far as "getting it" from day one. If that is even close to correct then the team and the coaches will know it by July, just like last season and the arrival of Bueckers. I really don't know or really care if she starts or not. I'm nearly as certain about her as I was about Bueckers and she will be a major player by January. By the end of 2023 they will be saying that UConn has the best backcourt in women's basketball anywhere in the world. How's that for over-exuberance? :rolleyes:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I believe that next years first game starting line-up will be the same that started our first tournament game this past season. Paige, Nika, Christyn, Evina, and Olivia. Now, I'm saying FIRST game. Geno will do his experimenting with different line-ups, finding matchups that work, and ruling out those that don't. I don't believe he will demote any player right off the bat until another proves that they are better, or have better chemistry with the other players on the court. It would be disrespectful for them to be moved down without playing a single minute, and I think Geno wants the others to prove to him that a change is warranted. IMHO, there will be changes eventually to the starting line-up, but as always, Geno will make the decision if someone else deserves to push out a veteran starter.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Sorry MSGRET, didn't notice that you also posted that the starting line-up wouldn't change to begin with. I think thats the way it should be.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Sorry MSGRET, didn't notice that you also posted that the starting line-up wouldn't change to begin with. I think thats the way it should be.
No need to apologize, you posted prior to reading all of the posts. I've done it many times, especially if the thread has multiple pages and I started out on page one when I commented, only to find out a few pages later that someone has stated the same thing. S... Happens as the saying goes.;)

Reaction Score
I wasn't the one who made the original comment. I had no POV to defend and yet you answered my question with another question. And you right about the minutes thing.

I think our discussion started when you commented that unless she was terrible Williams would start. I disagree. She can play like she did most of last season, which was far from terrible, and still lose her starting position. But if she plays like she did at the end of the season she will be an AA. The competition this summer/fall is going to be intense.

I looked back over the last few years what it shows is that Geno had 5 regular starters since 2017 and the 5th starter fill-ins were consistent. In the last 2 seasons his loyalty has been to 4 starters and the 5th has varied throughout the season, in part due to injuries. Does Geno start Muhl, who lost her starting slot to injury but who started the most games, or Edwards, who was playing like an AA by late last season? Or all-everything Fudd?

I don't see any of the freshmen getting many minutes with the exception of Fudd, who I believe Geno said was more fundamentally prepared coming in in all phases of the game than Maya Moore was in 2007. He said that Moore was his best freshman as far as "getting it" from day one. If that is even close to correct then the team and the coaches will know it by July, just like last season and the arrival of Bueckers. I really don't know or really care if she starts or not. I'm nearly as certain about her as I was about Bueckers and she will be a major player by January. By the end of 2023 they will be saying that UConn has the best backcourt in women's basketball anywhere in the world. How's that for over-exuberance? :rolleyes:
I believe Fudd will be more prepared than Maya, as her BFF Paige has been in constant communication with her and will continue same, as she rehabs from ankle surgery. Azzi will also help the recovery process with postive encouragement and focusing on the prize awaiting them in March (& April) - the 12th NC and first for them....

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Haven’t a clue who will start. But as far as Muhl goes, and saying she’s a liability on O who teams don’t need to worry about. well, she might not be quite the defender as Kelly Faris, but she ain’t bad and she’s already a better ball handler and shooter. But it’s a different team. Paige was at least as good as billed. If Fudd is likewise, she’s going to see lots of time at the expense of one of last year’s starters. Anna leaving reduced the choices some.

W

wolfe613

I believe Fudd will be more prepared than Maya, as her BFF Paige has been in constant communication with her and will continue same, as she rehabs from ankle surgery. Azzi will also help the recovery process with postive encouragement and focusing on the prize awaiting them in March (& April) - the 12th NC and first for them....
you can't determine if someone will be more prepared just cause of skype conversations, I'm sure every incoming freshman in America asks what it's like to ppl that are already at the current school to know what to expect

Reaction Score
the starter normally should be paige Cw nika liv aliyah Edwards nika is the best defender Cw and paige are the best and we should play with 2 bigs ,evina remplace cw azzi r paige dorka edwards amari liv and after that may be the best aubrey Caroline saylor mir not foe 2mn they should play more .....

Reaction Score
you can't determine if someone will be more prepared just cause of skype conversations, I'm sure every incoming freshman in America asks what it's like to ppl that are already at the current school to know what to expect
Not basing my opinion on skype, but nearly beating Steph Curry in three point contests, being the High School Gatoraide Player of the Year as a Sophomore (beating out Paige Bueckers as a Junior), and training with Paige over the past few years, combined with Geno's assessment (has the most weight) that Azzi was better prepared than Maya in 2007 could "be a thing!" I think Geno would be the opinion that matters most here....

Maya led all scoring by her third game with UCONN which happened to be Stanford in November of 2007 (Virgin Islands as a neutral site).

Last edited:
W

wolfe613

Not basing my opinion on skype, but nearly beating Steph Curry in three point contests, being the High School Gatoraide Player of the Year as a Sophomore (beating out Paige Bueckers as a Junior), and training with Paige over the past few years, combined with Geno's assessment (has the most weight) that Azzi was better prepared than Maya in 2007 could "be a thing!" I think Geno would be the opinion that matters most here....

Maya led all scoring by the third game which happened to be Stanford in November of 2007.
I didn't bring up anything Geno said, I brought up the part that "she will be more ready because she talks to Paige" again most players across the country are probably doing the same to players who are already at their respected school

Reaction Score
In case anyone needs more data on Azzi Fudd, here is the last available data on USA Basketball, with her as the youngest player on the U17 team:

USA Basketball Statistics​

TEAM G/S MIN/AVG FGM-FGA PCT 3PM-3PA PCT FTM-FTA PCT REB/AVG PTS/AVG AST TO BLK STL
2018 U177/7167/23.927- 53.5099- 16.5635- 51.00027/ 3.968/ 9.714625

So USA Basketball selecting Fudd without a High School Senior Year of "work" is not a "stretch" as I think a 56.3% accuracy from beyond the arc is pretty good in International competition. Also, Geno's eyeballs might have some basis for his expectations as Azzi has also arrived for UCONN's first summer session over the past week....
Having someone [Azzi] to compete against for 3 point accuracy may also improve Paige's 3 point accuracy as well [PB ened the season at 46.4% and somewhere around 6th in the nation and was NPOY]

Reaction Score
In case anyone needs more data on Azzi Fudd, here is the last available data on USA Basketball, with her as the youngest player on the U17 team:

USA Basketball Statistics​

TEAM G/S MIN/AVG FGM-FGA PCT 3PM-3PA PCT FTM-FTA PCT REB/AVG PTS/AVG AST TO BLK STL
2018 U177/7167/23.927- 53.5099- 16.5635- 51.00027/ 3.968/ 9.714625

So USA Basketball selecting Fudd without a High School Senior Year of "work" is not a "stretch" as I think a 56.3% accuracy from beyond the arc is pretty good in International competition. Also, Geno's eyeballs might have some basis for his expectations as Azzi has also arrived for UCONN's first summer session over the past week....
Having someone [Azzi] to compete against for 3 point accuracy may also improve Paige's 3 point accuracy as well [PB ened the season at 46.4% and somewhere around 6th in the nation and was NPOY]
Azzi really looks like she understands the game well.

Reaction Score

The software will not let me like your post twice, so I had to quote it again....
particularly: "I don't see any of the freshmen getting many minutes with the exception of Fudd, who I believe Geno said was more fundamentally prepared coming in in all phases of the game than Maya Moore was in 2007. He said that Moore was his best freshman as far as "getting it" from day one. If that is even close to correct then the team and the coaches will know it by July, just like last season and the arrival of Bueckers."
I could not agree more...

Aparently, I have hijacked a Ducharme thread, and substituted Azzi, but I believe that Ducharme, Fudd & Bueckers will get significant time on the court together in this coming season, and be LIGHTS OUT from beyond the arc, as other teams [not-so-great as the Huskies - meaning all other top twenty-five teams] will
not be able to cover three 3-point shooters of this caliber...

Reaction Score
I could not agree more...

Aparently, I have hijacked a Ducharme thread, and substituted Azzi, but I believe that Ducharme, Fudd & Bueckers will get significant time on the court together in this coming season, and be LIGHTS OUT from beyond the arc, as other teams [not-so-great as the Huskies - meaning all other top twenty-five teams] will
not be able to cover three 3-point shooters of this caliber...

Geno is going to have the deepest bench in wcbb. In many years Ducharme & DeBerry would be competing to start. But Geno will have an arsenal available. What do we need? Rebounding? defense? 3 pt shooting? Geno will have multiple options and what I see are different bench players playing significant roles depending on the opponent and the situation.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same starting 5 in next season's opener but I think Geno will have a hook ready and we'll see a lot more subbing early.
The sad thing is that some of the best played games will happen behind closed doors in practices.

Reaction Score
Geno is going to have the deepest bench in wcbb. In many years Ducharme & DeBerry would be competing to start. But Geno will have an arsenal available. What do we need? Rebounding? defense? 3 pt shooting? Geno will have multiple options and what I see are different bench players playing significant roles depending on the opponent and the situation.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same starting 5 in next season's opener but I think Geno will have a hook ready and we'll see a lot more subbing early.
The sad thing is that some of the best played games will happen behind closed doors in practices.
We may get some hint of just that in the first game's (not exhibition) post-game presser in November, or possibly earlier insights via Ian's blog videos at the summer charity golf interviews.... although no practice videos : ( :(

Reaction Score
I have not seen anything that was outrageous all was criticizing how she was playing from other posters there's nothing wrong with that. In that Arz game she looked wreckless and out of control.
Who played well for UConn in the Arizona game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom