LOL | Page 6 | The Boneyard

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am an idiot who buys 2 more season tickets for football every year than I use for most games. Sometimes other people want to go and we have them available. I don't care it supports the program. As to the free tickets for Saturday at least the well paid people in the AD realized this was the game to push this attempt to increase attendance and did not wait till late in the year. Let's hope the team can rise to the occasion. The new President will have to decide if the school can continue to employ the people that have brought us to this place. This move for this game made sense.

Reaction Score
You sound like a child throwing a tantrum. None of what you're saying makes any sense, I'll chalk it up to you being emotional and not a total idiot.
Says the "man" who said basketball players are morally superior. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Reaction Score
No, that's not what I said. Think about it.
They don't realize the NBE is not the same as the old. You know, the old one that had other large schools on the east coast.

Somehow, they can't grasp a conference of Jesuit schools is not the long term answer.

Reaction Score
They don't realize the NBE is not the same as the old. You know, the old one that had other large schools on the east coast.

Somehow, they can't grasp a conference of Jesuit schools is not the long term answer.
It may be, it may not be, but that decision has been made. Obviously, a southern midmajor football conference isn’t the answer for our basketball programs either.

Reaction Score
Says the "man" who said basketball players are morally superior. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
What? As I've said before I like you but rarely have any clue what you're talking about.

Care to explain what you're talking about?

Reaction Score

The powers that be have elected to try to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a big fish in a big pond. They've also cast their lot with one sport (ie. what all the small fish do)

Reaction Score

What they also don't realize is once great basketball programs like Georgetown, Seton Hall, St John's, Providence, all suck now in basketball. When these small Catholic schools were allowed as members of a de facto P5 football conference called The Big East (they founded the conference), their basketball programs flourished and as soon as big time FBS football left the Big East those founding small schools started sucking again and still do, and UConn is joining them soon.

Reaction Score
Meh. I think this is HORRIBLE for future season ticket sales. At the same time, I’m not sure average people even know about this free ticket offer.

Regardless, if Randy can start winning, this could work. The issue here is we are all lacking confidence Randy is going to win. Put a Rhett Lashlee type on the sideline, give away tickets and score a lot of points, this strategy might work.

Fingers crossed that a Miracle on Silver Ln. happens tomorrow and excites the crowd. Maybe they’ll buy tickets down the road.

Reaction Score
What they also don't realize is once great basketball programs like Georgetown, Seton Hall, St John's, Providence, all suck now in basketball. When these small Catholic schools were allowed as members of a de facto P5 football conference called The Big East (they founded the conference), their basketball programs flourished and as soon as big time FBS football left the Big East those founding small schools started sucking again and still do, and UConn is joining them soon.

Booo. We haven’t played one AAC game that was better than playing a mediocre Providence team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You clearly don't follow college basketball. It's been the third best basketball program in the country without UConn.

As for football, what you all fail to realize is nobody cares about UConn football outside of the state of CT. People didn't care about it when they were ok playing somewhat relevant teams in the Big East. People don't care now that they're the worst program in the country playing in an irrelevant conference with a mishmash of cr@p schools. And for the last however many tears people in CT. don't care about it.

Many fans don't know we play D1 and the ones that do think we're the biggest joke around (we are.) This isn't a new thing, UConn gave up on football when they couldn't find a live body to replace Randy Edsall. Welcoming back the snake to be HC again was the final nail in the coffin.

Reaction Score
That’s where I am on this.

As for finding humor or pleasure in the struggles this program is having as some appear to do here, I simply don’t get it. Kind of perverse imo.

They have a following they need to perform for.

Reaction Score
Providence is better than they’ve been in years. Villanova has won a couple of national titles recently. Other than that, spot on?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I like it. All tickets should be free/refunded until the football team shows a pulse.

What’s super hilarious is I keep getting served ads to buy tickets to tomorrow’s game that I already have tickets for and that I could now get for free. Sure, I’ll buy those tickets I already have that you’re just handing out to everyone else.

I guess if nobody’s paying, you’ve gotta ask some folks to pay twice...

Reaction Score
Providence is better than they’ve been in years. Villanova has won a couple of national titles recently. Other than that, spot on?
You call Providence good? 18-16 last year, and 7-11 in a crappy conference. If it wasn't for Villanova, the NBE would be no better than the MAC. Once great programs like St Johns, Seton Hall, Georgetown, and Providence were all top 25 or even top 10 teams, and we haven't seen that since FBS football exited the Big East. Can anyone remember even when the last time Seton Hall, St John's, Providence or Georgetown even made the top 10 or top 25? I remember two (several times) and even three (once) Big East schools making the final four but that hasn't happened in 20 years. Big East basketball from top to bottom sucks now. Even Villanova stunk last year, lost to Furman, lost to Penn, and lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA, got blown out by Purdue IIRC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I grabbed 4 tix for the football game tomorrow, which I offered to friends about an hour ago——no response yet. If someone wants them, PM me and if they are still available, I’ll send them to you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You call 18-16 last year good, and 7-11 in a crap conference. If it wasn't for Villanova, the NBE would be no better than the MAC. Once great programs like St Johns, Seton Hall, Georgetown, and Providence were all top 25 or even top 10 teams, and we haven't seen that since FBS football exited the Big East. I remember two and even three Big East schools in the final four and that hasn't happened in 20 years.
Providence has been to how many ncaa Tournaments the last 4 years. Wake me when an American conference team other than UConn makes the final four. Yes I know Wichita made it prior to joining the American. Again the decision has been made. Why handwringing over this?

We have no history or much in common with AAC schools other than FBS football. We have a lot of history with the schools you mentioned.

I love UConn football but it had become the tail wagging the dog of the athletic department.

Reaction Score
The powers that be have elected to try to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a big fish in a big pond. They've also cast their lot with one sport (ie. what all the small fish do)
One, they want to appeal to bandwagon fans who fell off due to poor performances over the past 3 seasons and please them with games against Providence and St John's. Might as well revive a series with Holy Cross. We just won a title in men's bball in 2014. Ungrateful bunch. ("Oh, basketball players are morally superior, anyway!")

Two, they want visibility that comes with rankings in the top 25.

If we had competent coaching in football and men's basketball, I don't think we'd have left the AAC.

The only way to win the narratives is to win (in football, too) and prove we can earn more money than we would have in the AAC.

The football program is not going to be killed. It's just going to be a long road back to respectability, if ever. Thanks to rear end wipes PP and Dicko (and the boosters and ADs). Unbelievably stupid head coaches (and boosters). Put their egos ahead of a program and fanbase. Shamelessly.

As far as location goes, it's not as if Temple or Navy are complaining. The AAC obviously could have been good for the football program but then Aresco managed to sign a stupid contract. So many stupid factors that went into the move.

Reaction Score
the illusion of demand
long time former season ticket holders are pointing these actions out as one of the reasons they are former season ticket holders. And this is a good idea because of the “illusion of demand”?

8 tickets per person. I don’t care what they call it, this is nothing like what you’re arguing it is. They are throwing tickets at anyone who will take them.

Reaction Score
Providence has been to how many ncaa Tournaments the last 4 years. Wake me when an American conference team other than UConn makes the final four. Yes I know Wichita made it prior to joining the American. Again the decision has been made. Why handwringing over this?

We have no history or much in common with AAC schools other than FBS football. We have a lot of history with the schools you mentioned.

I love UConn football but it had become the tail wagging the dog of the athletic department.
I never mentioned the AAC by name in my argument with respect to the NBE, you did that. However, as long as you did bring it up, I would take Houston, Wichita State, Cincinnati, and Memphis over any four NBE teams any day. Yes, we do have a history with some NBE teams but that was when we were all in the top 25 at the same time, some 20 and 30 years ago. It's something that will never happen again, you had 7 Catholic basketball only schools that were members of a de facto P5 football conference. Crazy, right? And even though none of them fielded an FBS football team, their basketball programs flourished in that league, the best in their histories. Seton Hall, Georgetown, St John's, Providence, Villanova, all made Final Fours, and 2 or 3 won national championships, but when the football schools left, that de facto P5 football conference vanished and so did 4 or 5 of the Catholic basketball schools living in the top 25.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember these “once great Seton Hall, St. John’s, and Providence” programs with their combined 0 national championships?

They were decent programs. They were and will never be confused with great programs.

Nova won more titles in the New Big East than they did the old one.

With UConn, the new Big East is head and shoulders above the AAC. Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom