Lol @ the fools who think the AAC is better | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lol @ the fools who think the AAC is better

Reaction Score
i hope you aac lovers would've loved to have to go on espn plus and watch uconn vs south florida or whatever non marquee matchup, let alone pay an extra 60 bucks a year on top of what you have to pay for ur cable or whatever. imagine telling a recruit, "hey, we're gonna have a boat load of games on espn plus!" rather than being on a tv slot where the everyday viewer can find you on a normal ESPN/espn2/espnu/cbs/cbssn/fox/fs1/fs2 channel

can't wait for our transition to fox sports and having all games be broadcast with no issues. the AAC deal with espn that threw teams on espn plus tells you everything on how espn feels about the american, a joke.

What really sucks is I already pay for + for soccer but my dang streaming service doesn't have ESPNU or ESPNNews, a& I had to upgrade recently to get CBSSN & it certainly doesn't have SNY. That being said, I'll be dropping Sling and moving to another more expensive service. + would have been great for me.

BE is still much better.

Reaction Score
nope still wrong.

better in the big picture for the school not to be associated with community colleges.

UConn football as an independent is better than UConn football in the AAC.
They're going to make more money than the entire AAC contract just on football, and they're going to more high level teams people care about.

And, of course, the basketball isn't even close.

Reaction Score
They're going to make more money than the entire AAC contract just on football, and they're going to more high level teams people care about.

And, of course, the basketball isn't even close.
I hope you're all right. I also hope it translates into a P5 ticket because we're better than this.

Reaction Score
Boy do I ever miss the ol’ days. The OBE was a beast of a conference. There were times when our one conference would take up an eighth of the original 64 team ncaa tourney. The AAC can’t even hold the jockstrap of the OBE.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
nope still wrong.

better in the big picture for the school not to be associated with community colleges.

UConn football as an independent is better than UConn football in the AAC.

Look, why the disparagement on both sides here? There are no community colleges in the American. Not even close. Most of those schools are above average compared to where most students go to college. They are all better than CCSU, SCSU and the hundreds of colleges like them that most real people attend. Lets try not to be a bunch of pompous asses.

The Big East is better for basketball, clearly. But pretending that the American stinks is just wrong. Several teams In the AAC have proud basketball histories. In the Big East almost all do. I blame our fans in part for being so parochial and narrow minded.

It’s marginally better for soccer, and much better for travel. Probably better for track etc.

It‘s much worse for baseball. Unfortunately that’s the sport we’ve actually been best at lately.

Mostly, I think going independent in football helps our brand. Randy will need to actually win a game or two to make that work, but we are being treated more like a P5 now than before. There is a certain cache to independent status, especially if we become one of the few that can land a TV contract. Notre Dame and BYU is good company. That ability to show value positions us better than the AAC could.

Reaction Score

This was such a dumb tweet even at the time. The Big East was returning a ton (including 2 national POTY candidates on 2nd tier schools) with good recruiting coming in and the AAC was losing 11 of the 15 guys on all conference teams (they weren't picked yet, but half a second of thought would've shown that most of the good players in the conference were seniors).

Hell Memphis hadn't even recruited a bunch of their new guys yet (other than Wiseman and Jeffries).

Reaction Score
The Zombie Big East marches on. If you love tiny Catholic Schools, it's the premiere conference in the country.

5 of the 7 original Big East teams were um, small Catholic Schools, and the following year they added Nova making it 6 of 8. Your "Zombie Big East" is actually more like the Old Big East then the larger conference it eventually became.

Reaction Score
Also my guess is that anyone who seriously thinks we were better off in the AAC has never been to the Big East Tournament. Tons of basketball and somehow fans of whoever is playing fill the garden for their teams. No matter who is making a run, half the arena is going nuts. Take a break between sessions and eat and drink in Manhattan.

I tried to embrace the AAC and watched the Tourney finals on TV last year. Cinci and Houston playing at the Memphis FedEx Forum in front of a listed 7223 (appeared much less by my TV eye test) mostly comatose friends and neighbors. I thought back to the Big East Tourney and was seriously bummed that the AAC appeared to be our future.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Wait...besides football...there are people who think that The aac is better than the new big East?

Reaction Score
We’re are not known as being overly physical but we shot almost . 700from the two
against Nova. That’s having your way.They were really soft. We were awful from the three and they weren’t , although their guards used the straight arm to get separation without any ramifications. Philly rules were in place.
We haven’t come close to that dominating performance inside against anyone In our conference.
They can shoot the three and are well coached but I suspect very overrated.
I also think SH, Ceighton , Butler, and Marquette are better teams
i really haven’t seen a team this year without some weaknesses so the tournament should be wide open.
Maybe the Big East is better but the margin is nowhere near as large as some on the board speculate.
With all due respect, what is this nonsense even supposed to mean. That's all it sounds to me. Old, new... nonsense.

The Big East went through at least four different iterations over its existence prior to 2013. No one was saying old vs new when the early 2000s rolled around. You old timers want to hold this distinction of the old mighty Big East vs the new "weaker" league and setting your marker to 2013 to fit your own agenda

Truth is that prior to 2013 the league had some amazingly great years, some good years, some average years, and some bad years. What the old timers insist on doing is lumping the entire history of the Big East as the "3 Final Four 1985 year" with "11 bids 2011 tournament". There was a lot of mediocrity in between which gets overlooked. Yes, the pre-2013 Big East was a great conference, no one can deny. But to insist in this before and after as if the current iteration is anything less its nonsense. Post-2013 Big East has won two national championship and has been a Top 3 conference pretty much every year which is right on average to the pre-2013 Big East performance.

You guys gotta move on. Connecticut its in the right place in a league where games have meaning and were basketball is king.

Since the current AAC is in reality the Old Big East they certainly can claim conference history. That’s teams come and go doesn’t change anything . UConn by leaving the AAC is really leaving the league it co- founded in 1978-79 .
The current Big East was incorporated in 2013-14 hence NBE is not a misnomer because it’s an entirely new conference. That some of the teams belonged to the original league is irrelevant. They chose freely to leave and to form a new league which is their right.
They essentially paid for the name and tourney by waiving any claim to the sizable assets accrued by the Big East. The name Big East was meaningless to Aresco as he was pursuing a coast to coast conference. Even the AAC organizational headquarters stayed in its original home Of Providence until recently .
So there is clearly an old Big East and and a New Big East corporately.
Individual teams obviously bring their history along with them.
All this has zero bearing on where our basketball is better served but it bothers me some when writers say we’re going back to a league we never belonged to.

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
We’re are not known as being overly physical but we shot almost . 700from the two
against Nova. That’s having your way.They were really soft. We were awful from the three and they weren’t , although their guards used the straight arm to get separation without any ramifications. Philly rules were in place.
We haven’t come close to that dominating performance inside against anyone In our conference.
i really haven’t seen a team this year without some weaknesses so the tournament should be wide open.
Maybe the Big East is better but the margin is nowhere near as large as some on the board speculate.

Since the current AAC is in reality the Old Big East they certainly can claim conference history. That’s teams come and go doesn’t change anything . UConn by leaving the AAC is really leaving the league it co- founded in 1978-79 .
The current Big East was incorporated in 2013-14 hence NBE is not a misnomer because it’s an entirely new conference. That some of the teams belonged to the original league is irrelevant. They chose freely to leave and to form a new league which is their right.
They essentially paid for the name and tourney by waiving any claim to the sizable assets accrued by the Big East. Big East entirely to regional as Aresco was pursuing a coast to coast conference. Even the AAC organizational headquarters stayed in its original home Of Providence until recently .
Individual teams obviously bring their history along with them .
All this has zero bearing on where our basketball is better served but it bothers me some when writers say we’re going back to a league we never belonged to.
Gotta say, the way you type most likely causes 2-3 seizures a day

Reaction Score

They essentially paid for the name and tourney by waiving any claim to the sizable assets accrued by the Big East. Big East entirely to regional as Aresco was pursuing a coast to coast conference. Even the AAC organizational headquarters stayed in its original home Of Providence until recently .
Individual teams obviously bring their history along with them .
Nova is actually a little overrated right now, as they were last year. they get the benefit of the doubt now after their titles, as they probably should. They're 28th in efficiency margin, which, as you point out, seton hall, marquette, butler, and creighton are all better if you go by efficiency.

The margin between the big east and american in almost every metric has never been greater than it is this year. the american is closer to the missouri valley than the big east. there is a reasonable path for it to be a one bid league. to say there isn't a large margin of difference is absurd

I'd also point out that the "new" big east does claim all the old big east records. they're celebrating the 40th anniversary of the league this year. while it's technically a new league, with the addition of uconn, almost no one will even remember that in a few years. none of the teams in the american care. cincinnati and south florida will be the only teams that really played in the OBE. 6 of the original 8 members are in the new league. for all intents and purposes it's the same league just with xavier, butler, etc. instead of syracuse and BC.

Reaction Score
Also my guess is that anyone who seriously thinks we were better off in the AAC has never been to the Big East Tournament. Tons of basketball and somehow fans of whoever is playing fill the garden for their teams. No matter who is making a run, half the arena is going nuts. Take a break between sessions and eat and drink in Manhattan.

I tried to embrace the AAC and watched the Tourney finals on TV last year. Cinci and Houston playing at the Memphis FedEx Forum in front of a listed 7223 (appeared much less by my TV eye test) mostly comatose friends and neighbors. I thought back to the Big East Tourney and was seriously bummed that the AAC appeared to be our future.
I was worried, admittedly, about the tournament falling off without the bigger schools like syracuse in the conference, but that hasn't happened at all. it's still the highest attended conference tournament in the country and, it took a few years, but every session is still sold out. with uconn coming in, tickets are gonna be even harder to come by.

Reaction Score
5 of the 7 original Big East teams were um, small Catholic Schools, and the following year they added Nova making it 6 of 8. Your "Zombie Big East" is actually more like the Old Big East then the larger conference it eventually became.
Almost everyone fails to realize this, it's weird.

It is weird, if you understand the history of the BE. The NBE was much closer to Gavitt's original vision for an Eastern basketball league. And, while some fans that prefer the AAC may not like it, the NBE also took the basketball history with them, along with the name. Which, despite the growth over time of the OBE, and the fact that OBE teams remained in the AAC as well, always seemed fair to me. Precisely because the new league did seem to be closer to its 1979 roots as envisioned by its founder, Dave Gavitt.

It seems to me we are returning to the BE. I have always looked at the present BE as just the most recent edition of, are we ready, lol, the BE. It has the name, and the basketball history:

"As part of our separation agreement, we negotiated that the basketball records will remain the property of the basketball schools," Providence president Fr. Brian Shanley said on a teleconference Wednesday. "The Big East will just keep going on, being the inheritor if you will, of the traditions and the records of the conference."

New Big East rather reminiscent of old Big East

Reaction Score
This board is the only place I've heard the league referred to as the New Big East. Everyone else calls it by it's name, The Big East. For the past 6 years I've also had to explain to everyone I talk basketball with that UConn is in the AAC and what the AAC is.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
as worried, admittedly, about the tournament falling off without the bigger schools like syracuse

Syracuse?

They are a net negative to any league they are in.

Reaction Score
The Big East is the Big East. As many have said, the 2020-2021 membership looks a lot like 1985 (3 teams in the Final Four).

There is always change. Which conference is truest to its roots?
nACC vs oACC?
nB12 vs oB12?
nB10 vs oB10?
nPAC vs oPAC?
nSEC vs oSEC?

There is a good argument that the Big East is as true to its roots as any conference.

Reaction Score
I was worried, admittedly, about the tournament falling off without the bigger schools like syracuse in the conference, but that hasn't happened at all. it's still the highest attended conference tournament in the country and, it took a few years, but every session is still sold out. with uconn coming in, tickets are gonna be even harder to come by.
I shared that concern. As someone that attended almost all of them before and after the split, I was pleasantly surprised that the BET at MSG didn't really miss the old member schools. Creighton, Butler, and X saw the move to the Big East as the big step to the major conference level. Their home courts are great and their fans flooded NYC.

I agree, bringing back UConn only adds to the NYC mystique.

I hope next year the Big East capitalizes on having UConn back and puts a focus on the positive PR of having another historically elite team in the line-up.

Reaction Score
This will have to be updated after this season, but if you look at the "old" Big East vs. the "new" Big East, who would you want back?

For me the original 9 will always be the classic Big East. With UConn we have 6 of the original 9. I have to admit I'd like Cuse back. Every story needs a villain.

Pitt? I don't miss them. They were destructive to the conference and they never even made a final four for the conference. They can continue to rot in the trenches of the ACC for all I care. I'd much rather have Creighton, Butler and X than Pitt.

BC? Similar. BC faded away as the arctic outpost of the ACC, all alone up there without any rivals. No Final Fours, just a schedule filler since the 90s. truck 'em.

ND? It never felt like they were BE anyway. Middling basketball.

WVU? Again, doesn't feel like "real Big East". Don't miss 'em.

Ville? I like the hoops pedigree, but they don't seem like a fit. Lower tier academically and bottom of the program integrity scale. Ville brought some juice to the BE, but they aren't important to the conference or our history. The first official asterisk on a national title. With UNC, Cuse, and Ville the ACC got a bit soiled.

Miami, Rutgers, USF, VT? Lol, no.

Cincy? I feel bad for Cincy. It's not that important to the conference, but if there was a new expansion that made sense I wouldn't object to Cincy.

TLDR, Nice to have UConn back. UConn was the 1 target that made sense. Other than Cuse, we don't miss any of the "old" Big East. The Big East is The Big East.

Big East wins[1].PNG

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom