Lol @ the fools who think the AAC is better | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lol @ the fools who think the AAC is better

Reaction Score
It is a start up rather than the original conference which was started in 1979. The NBE was formed in 2013. It merely purchased the rights to the Big East name. It's not the same conference. How is that hard to understand?

That said, it is a good basketball conference and I look forward to playing in it next year.

(Note: effective July 2020, I will join the rest of NBE fans and pretend that it is the same conference that Gavitt started in 1979 and of which UConn was a founding member.)

Great. Because legal charters are so important on defining whats what for basketball fans. I didn't know you guys were all lawyers who took these things so seriously. But if you guys care so much about that then its fair to add that the current alignment of the Big East bought the name, the assets, and the basketball records from pre-2013 Big East. So for all purposes the current league IS the Big East and has the legal right to claim 1979 and everything after as it's own history

The current alignment of the Big East is closer to the original alignment more than ever before. It will have 6 out of 9 of members and will stay true to basketball. UConn will return to playing with the same "small catholic schools" the fans loved back in the day

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great. Because legal charters are so important on defining whats what for basketball fans. I didn't know you guys were all lawyers who took these things so seriously. But if you guys care so much about that then its fair to add that the current alignment of the Big East bought the name, the assets, and the basketball records from pre-2013 Big East. So for all purposes the current league IS the Big East and has the legal right to claim 1979 and everything after as it's own history

The current alignment of the Big East is closer to the original alignment more than ever before. It will have 6 out of 9 of members and will stay true to basketball. UConn will return to playing with the same "small catholic schools" the fans loved back in the day
Lol, “legal charters?”

I have always been a loss to understand why the New Big East fans don’t just enjoy the fact that they are a good basketball conference, rather than pretend that they are the conference that Dave Gavitt started in 1979. I also love how they wrap themselves in the history that Connecticut achieved. No original Big East school won more regular season championships, tournament championships, or, of course, National championships in that conference than University of Connecticut. Really why not just be happy with the fact that the conference had 5 top 25 teams in it currently and that Villanova that represented it well earning two national championships in it?

That said, I am happy we are joining the new Big East and I look forward to playing against quality opponents in drivable games.

Reaction Score
Lol, “legal charters?”

I have always been a loss to understand why the New Big East fans don’t just enjoy the fact that they are a good basketball conference, rather than pretend that they are the conference that Dave Gavitt started in 1979. I also love how they wrap themselves in the history that Connecticut achieved. No original Big East school won more regular season championships, tournament championships, or, of course, National championships in that conference than University of Connecticut. Really why not just be happy with the fact that the conference had 5 top 25 teams in it currently and that Villanova that represented it well earning two national championships in it?

That said, I am happy we are joining the new Big East and I look forward to playing against quality opponents in drivable games.
they bought the rights to the history, as well as the name, rights to msg, and have 5 of the original 8 members, why wouldn't they carry themselves that way? they gave up millions of dollars to do it.

i never see the league "wrap themselves" in UConn's big east accomplishments.

CL82

Reaction Score
they bought the rights to the history, as well as the name, rights to msg, and have 5 of the original 8 members, why wouldn't they carry themselves that way? they gave up millions of dollars to do it.

i never see the league "wrap themselves" in UConn's big east accomplishments.
Agree, they are a league that started in 2013 that bought the name the Big East. Much of the "history' fans lay claim to were UConn games, UConn's 5 wins in five days on the way to it's 2011 National Championship, UConn's 6 overtime game vs Syracuse etc. Those are wins by teams that aren't in the New Big East and never have been. It's kind of silly, in my opinion, to say that's our history, it happened before we were even formed, those teams have never been in our conference, but we bought it so it ours. It is as if I found Buster Douglas and paid him to "buy the rights to his championship" and then claimed that I was former heavyweight champion. Kind of dumb, right?

But I don't really care about it all that much. Come back in July and I'll pretend the NBE is league the UConn joined in in 1979 twenty-eight years before the NBE was established, but it really won't change the reality of it. It's just odd to me because I think it makes more sense to celebrate what the conference is today rather than pretend it has a claim to things that happened before it was formed.

Reaction Score
Agree, they are a league that started in 2013 that bought the name the Big East. Much of the "history' fans lay claim to were UConn games, UConn's 5 wins in five days on the way to it's 2011 National Championship, UConn's 6 overtime game vs Syracuse etc. Those are wins by teams that aren't in the New Big East and never have been. It's kind of silly, in my opinion, to say that's our history, it happened before we were even formed, those teams have never been in our conference, but we bought it so it ours. It is as if I found Buster Douglas and paid him to "buy the rights to his championship" and then claimed that I was former heavyweight champion. Kind of dumb, right?

But I don't really care about it all that much. Come back in July and I'll pretend the NBE is league the UConn joined in in 1979 twenty-eight years before the NBE was established, but it really won't change the reality of it. It's just odd to me because I think it makes more sense to celebrate what the conference is today rather than pretend it has a claim to things that happened before it was formed.
Wonderful, now please stop calling The Big East the NBE.

Reaction Score

i've never heard a fan lay claim to anything that schools that aren't in the league anymore accomplished. the most they will do is show clips of old big east tournaments in promo's. they bought the history, so teams like georgetown could still lay claim to patrick ewing and his records, terry dehere at seton hall, etc. uconn, syracuse, pitt, etc. are never mentioned.

CL82

Reaction Score
i've never heard a fan lay claim to anything that schools that aren't in the league anymore accomplished. the most they will do is show clips of old big east tournaments in promo's. they bought the history, so teams like georgetown could still lay claim to patrick ewing and his records, terry dehere at seton hall, etc. uconn, syracuse, pitt, etc. are never mentioned.
"We bought the history... we bought the history!"

Reaction Score
"We bought the history... we bought the history!"
lol they bought the history because most of it is their history, but, like i said it's not like fans go around claiming uconn or syracuse's national titles for the current league.

villanova, georgetown, providence, etc. just want to be able to claim what they accomplished

it's better than ecu, smu, ucf, etc. laying claim to big east records

Reaction Score
NBE is a step down for UConn no matter how you look at it. Hurley should have been given the opportunity to win big in the AAC. He had already turned the team into a hustling no quit group. He had already recruited Akok and Bouk. Hurley could have dominated the ACC for years. So what? The league is not all that great will be the response. Hurley, by dominating in basketball and advancing deep in the NCAA tournamment, could have saved the football program, bought it time to hire the right coach. AAC football is not a joke. It is competetive with most P-5 schools. UCONN ONCE BEAT NOTRE DAME IN FOOTBALL. That will never happen again.
10 am is way too early to be this drunk.

Reaction Score
There wasn't much question it's an overall better move for the hoops teams just from a local rivalry & recruiting standpoint, the question was and still is how it will affect the other UConn sports teams. If football can survive financially and the team actually gets competitive again, they can weather this move to indy status. AD Dave is off to a good start with the future scheduling. Baseball will be a step down in this league unfortunately. Hockey is safe in Hockey East. The others? Guess they're ok.

Reaction Score
There wasn't much question it's an overall better move for the hoops teams just from a local rivalry & recruiting standpoint, the question was and still is how it will affect the other UConn sports teams. If football can survive financially and the team actually gets competitive again, they can weather this move to indy status. AD Dave is off to a good start with the future scheduling. Baseball will be a step down in this league unfortunately. Hockey is safe in Hockey East. The others? Guess they're ok.
women's hoop should be better on the whole. i think big east average NET last year was half of the aac's. men's soccer just had a huge year. 4 teams in the sweet sixteen, georgetown won it all, and i think st john's made the final four. it was the best league in the country last season

Reaction Score
People forget that the Big East has had several down stretches in its history. The six years before UConn won its first championship in 1999, the conference averaged 4.5 bids per year (39%), and had one Final Four team in that period. In the last six years, they've averaged 5.3 bids per year (53%), with two national championships.

UConn was willing to pay $17 million to get out of the AAC, plus an entry fee to get into the Big East. That should tell everyone how much better off UConn is in the Big East.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
lol they bought the history because most of it is their history, but, like i said it's not like fans go around claiming uconn or syracuse's national titles for the current league.

villanova, georgetown, providence, etc. just want to be able to claim what they accomplished

it's better than ecu, smu, ucf, etc. laying claim to big east records
But, by your logic, if "ecu, smu, ucf," were to buy those records then they would have a legitimate claim to them. Sounds pretty dumb, am I right?

The argument that Nova, Georgetown or Providence needed to "buy" the Big East records to "claim their records" is specious, at best. Schools keep their records and history when they change conferences, you realize that right?

Reaction Score
I can understand why a fan of an AAC team would view the Big East as some new and different organization and they "bought" the Big East history. In reality though, it was more like the C7 schools paid the AAC schools to give them the boot out of the BE.

Legal documents for a "new" organization or not, no one looks at that. (See the GM reference above) Instead, from the outside perspective (someone who is not a fan of an AAC or BE school), you look at the schools and it's obvious where the tradition of the BE belongs. Other than Cincy and USF, there is no connection to the Big East in the AAC. It is basically just CUSA renamed.

Meanwhile, 6 of 9 founding schools of the BE, 2 schools that have been members for nearly 15 years, plus 3 additional schools that embody everything the BE was created to be. The Big East is as Big East as it ever has been.

AAC fans say the Big East bought the history, BE fans say they paid to kick out the AAC schools, and neutral observers would just look at what makes up the league, shrug, and call it the Big East.

CL82

Reaction Score
People forget that the Big East has had several down stretches in its history. The six years before UConn won its first championship in 1999, the conference averaged 4.5 bids per year (39%), and had one Final Four team in that period. In the last six years, they've averaged 5.3 bids per year (53%), with two national championships.

UConn was willing to pay $17 million to get out of the AAC, plus an entry fee to get into the Big East. That should tell everyone how much better off UConn is in the Big East.
It is, mostly because of the American's pitiful new ESPN deal which underpays for rights while imposing production costs on the schools, places many games on + and took away our rights to have SNY broadcast our T3 games. In addition to that being in the NBE will allow UConn to reduce it's travel costs by about $2M a year. But as a men's basketball fan, I am looking to playing against good teams, that our fan base actually cares about, and having driveable games.

It also seems like the same the factors that made the OBE such a great conference are happening again with quality teams pushing each other to get better. I'm looking forward to being a part of it.

CL82

Reaction Score
No, I'm just one to these strange people who think that beating Notre Dame in football in front of a national television audience and 80,000 screaming fans for a million dollar payday on a Saturday afternoon is lot cooler than beating the legendary Seton Hall basketball in team in front 500 fans on a Tuesday night in Northern New Jersey.
Just a FYI Seton averaged @8500 per game for the most recent stats I can find. I suspect that number is higher this year. The Pru Center is a good place to see a game, with friendly knowledgeable fans and a lot excellent food choices in the area.

The ND game was an outstanding and emotional win being the first win after Jazz Howard's death. It was also over a decade ago. That isn't the reality of today's team. I'm not sure what your point is.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, I'm just one to these strange people who think that beating Notre Dame in football in front of a national television audience and 80,000 screaming fans for a million dollar payday on a Saturday afternoon is lot cooler than beating the legendary Seton Hall basketball in team in front 500 fans on a Tuesday night in Northern New Jersey.

We would play Notre Dame every week if we stayed in the AAC? I don't think anyone was aware of that.

Reaction Score

Sure, and it only costs Connecticut taxpayers $40 million dollars a year to fail to do that year in and year out. I'd also rather drive a Maseratti instead of a Chevy... but I just can't afford it.

Besides, being more realistic in the comparison, how are those road games to Tulsa and Tulane with a roaring crowd of 20k fans?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom