Lol @ the fools who think the AAC is better | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lol @ the fools who think the AAC is better

Reaction Score
No, I'm just one to these strange people who think that beating Notre Dame in football in front of a national television audience and 80,000 screaming fans for a million dollar payday on a Saturday afternoon is lot cooler than beating the legendary Seton Hall basketball in team in front 500 fans on a Tuesday night in Northern New Jersey.

Say wut now

Reaction Score
No, I'm just one to these strange people who think that beating Notre Dame in football in front of a national television audience and 80,000 screaming fans for a million dollar payday on a Saturday afternoon is lot cooler than beating the legendary Seton Hall basketball in team in front 500 fans on a Tuesday night in Northern New Jersey.
You think our football team is beating Notre Dame right now? What on earth is the relevance of UConn football beating Notre Dame football 11 years ago? You do realize we play Michigan football September 17th, 2022 and are getting paid 1.8 million dollars for it? You do realize UConn football is playing Clemson football in 2021?

Again, what is the relevance? You don't think these games will be played in front of 80,000+ screaming fans and be broadcast on national TV? You think UConn basketball at Seton Hall would be played in front of 500 fans?

You should've just said you're drunk.

Reaction Score
Lol, “legal charters?”

I have always been a loss to understand why the New Big East fans don’t just enjoy the fact that they are a good basketball conference, rather than pretend that they are the conference that Dave Gavitt started in 1979. I also love how they wrap themselves in the history that Connecticut achieved. No original Big East school won more regular season championships, tournament championships, or, of course, National championships in that conference than University of Connecticut. Really why not just be happy with the fact that the conference had 5 top 25 teams in it currently and that Villanova that represented it well earning two national championships in it?

That said, I am happy we are joining the new Big East and I look forward to playing against quality opponents in drivable games.

Unfortunately. As a UConn fan I must admit that no one in the Big East even attempts to wrap themselves around the great history of UCONN. It's almost as if it never happened... For me its hard to understand how even that "Requiem for the Big East" documentary largely ignored UConn's valuable history in the Big East. I feel like a lot of other people ignore it too. They think more about Syracuse, Louisville, Georgetown... even though UConn was for more successful.

But at least now I have a better understanding of why you insist in separating the pre-2013 vs post-2013 Big East. It seems like you are afraid that others are cashing in on UConn's accomplishments.

I'm just glad that UCONN is back to where they belong!

Reaction Score
I get winding up the posters from other Big East schools about the details of who left the Big East and who didn't a year ago, before the announcement of our return. Now it's just a ridiculous and pointless argument, the Big East is the Big East (because we are in it).

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Speaking of winding up other BE fans, it’s important to note for Nova, they were not an original member. Next year the Big East will have 5 of the 7 actual founding members. Nova was added after year 1 and Pitt after year 3.

Reaction Score
The BE is an unfortunate but necessary step to revitalizing a UConn brand on life support due to total mismanagement and incompetence. The only thing that saves national flagship brand aspirations is getting to a P5. Turning MBB around helps get back some relevance and notoriety, but wont catapult us in to a P5. Getting FB solid as an independent is critical to ever getting a chance to move to a P5 with the big boys.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I don't get any of this. this year, we are in the aac, so I cheer for the aac. next year we will be in the big east, so i'll cheer for the big east.

Reaction Score
The BE is an unfortunate but necessary step to revitalizing a UConn brand on life support due to total mismanagement and incompetence. The only thing that saves national flagship brand aspirations is getting to a P5. Turning MBB around helps get back some relevance and notoriety, but wont catapult us in to a P5. Getting FB solid as an independent is critical to ever getting a chance to move to a P5 with the big boys.
Weren't you one of the posters who went on and on about it being an awful move and that UConn was dropping football?

Reaction Score
Put any ZBE team (even Seton Hall) in the AAC and the very tough travel schedule of the AAC would hurt their record. It's one of the toughest conference grinds in the NCAA.

“I don’t always love flying four hours from a place that’s really, really far away in the Midwest,” coach Dan Hurley said. “We get back at 4 o’clock in the morning, get back to campus at 5, make sure these kids are at their 8 o’clock classes — just the whole travel part.” “These games get on top of you so quick...The last couple of years, it has a negative effect on the players’ energy and in the preparation.”

Reaction Score
Sure, and it only costs Connecticut taxpayers $40 million dollars a year to fail to do that year in and year out. I'd also rather drive a Maseratti instead of a Chevy... but I just can't afford it.

Besides, being more realistic in the comparison, how are those road games to Tulsa and Tulane with a roaring crowd of 20k fans?
Why would you even want a Maserati? It isn't under its original legal entity, so it doesn't even own its own history.

Reaction Score
Michigan and Clemson are playing us as a schedule filler chump team that they are expecting to beat 68-0.
And the fans won't be screaming; they will be laughing. If 80,000 fans show up, it is because of a season ticket package, not because anyone in South Carolina losing sleep over the game. The Seton Hall remark was just to show the relative importance of Notre football compared to Seton Hall basketball.

And the comment that we are back to where we belong is exactly what the P-5 schools were hoping for.
So you think when Notre Dame scheduled UConn football they thought we were the better team? Or because Notre dame football was in the Big East and that was a conference rivalry so their fans came out for the tradition and pageantry of it all?

Reaction Score
With all due respect, what is this nonsense even supposed to mean. That's all it sounds to me. Old, new... nonsense.

The Big East went through at least four different iterations over its existence prior to 2013. No one was saying old vs new when the early 2000s rolled around. You old timers want to hold this distinction of the old mighty Big East vs the new "weaker" league and setting your marker to 2013 to fit your own agenda

Truth is that prior to 2013 the league had some amazingly great years, some good years, some average years, and some bad years. What the old timers insist on doing is lumping the entire history of the Big East as the "3 Final Four 1985 year" with "11 bids 2011 tournament". There was a lot of mediocrity in between which gets overlooked. Yes, the pre-2013 Big East was a great conference, no one can deny. But to insist in this before and after as if the current iteration is anything less its nonsense. Post-2013 Big East has won two national championship and has been a Top 3 conference pretty much every year which is right on average to the pre-2013 Big East performance.

You guys gotta move on. Connecticut its in the right place in a league where games have meaning and were basketball is king.
The American is a good conference. We will recruit better in the Big East. The difference in travel and East Coast recognition will be greater with the move. Other than that, it's players, coaches and playing hard.

Reaction Score
Weren't you one of the posters who went on and on about it being an awful move and that UConn was dropping football?
Yes. It was an awful move in my mind. But the move is made and the logic is the logic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom