local perception, a long way to go | Page 4 | The Boneyard

local perception, a long way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The guy who works at the Subway I go to every now and them also doesn't think much of UConn football.
the subway I went to had a kid very much into Uconn football and attended one of the camps.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that surprising, honestly. Rentschler has a capacity of 40,000. Connecticut is a small state with 3.5M people living in it, plus there's obviously some interest from alumni living in surrounding states, yet we can't fill the place for the 6 or 7 home games we have each year. It's obvious that the vast majority of CT residents don't really care about UConn football. Even my dad, who's a pretty big fan of every sport and loves UConn basketball, doesn't pay too much attention to our football program.

But that's not necessarily new, even when the team was decent back when I was in school the stadium was rarely full. I think our program has a lot of potential for a huge growth in popularity, but there has to be some real, sustained success over at least a decade.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that surprising, honestly. Rentschler has a capacity of 40,000. Connecticut is a small state with 3.5M people living in it, plus there's obviously some interest from alumni living in surrounding states, yet we can't fill the place for the 6 or 7 home games we have each year. It's obvious that the vast majority of CT residents don't really care about UConn football. Even my dad, who's a pretty big fan of every sport and loves UConn basketball, doesn't pay too much attention to our football program.

But that's not necessarily new, even when the team was decent back when I was in school the stadium was rarely full. I think our program has a lot of potential for a huge growth in popularity, but there has to be some real, sustained success over at least a decade.

Ha ...

This is all BS. And short-sighted.

We can get 38,000-40,000 regularly. It wasn't merely the NEWNESS of our 2003 Big East period that attracted the fans. In fact, I would say that the tailgating and the entire game experience has been enhanced in the ensuing decade. What we saw was a totally decline in spirit of a fan-base because of one poor hire. The drop WAS a significant percentage and worrisome. But, I don't think the attendance at Memphis or at games through a 0-9 loss streak is indicative of where our attendance will be.

We are still new. Talking about the "way back when I was in school - less than 10 years ago" is funny. Our traditions and fan patterns are still fully in development. We need a good year from Diaco. Enthusiasm of the core fan. And, we can easily recharge back to 35,000 and expand the base from there. People are coming to Rentschler (we've heard) from RI? I can tell you that they are coming from Albany and Eastern NY. Fairfield Cty is not too absorbed; but has potential. This is relatively simple stuff in getting a decent schedule and winning. Diaco, I am now convinced, was a damn good hire. He has done the right things every week he has been in our employment. He has a solid staff when exciting backgrounds. So ... again, we are taking the "Stairs". We are still a growth stock.

Reaction Score
Our program is basically less than 20 years old. The Big East gave it a nice boost, the AAC represents some adversity, but if we start winning again then the place is going to fill up.

Reaction Score
Winning will cure all the whinings and associated problems like attendance !!! And BD's team will win!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like horseracing. I've been to probably 10-12 major tracks (including the spa) and many of the dumps too... the sport is completely dead.

No, it isn't. Not as many people go to the track anymore on non-event days, but the handle last year was just short of $10B. Why does everything have to be be a grand pronouncement?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Say what you want about FHCRE - but he won at the Rent. And that matters.

Yes sir. Losing to the likes of Towson, Temple, Western Michigan, and USF at home is simply unacceptable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, it isn't. Not as many people go to the track anymore on non-event days, but the handle last year was just short of $10B. Why does everything have to be be a grand pronouncement?

It's weird. A simple google search of 'horse racing decline' paints an entirely different picture.

Unless a horse is racing for the triple crown the sport does not exist in the national conciousness.

If the sport wasn't dying, Churchill Downs wouldn't be increasing their hold. Their average handle is under $1.2 million a day and increasing the takeout only is going to quicken their death.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's weird. A simple google search of 'horse racing decline' paints an entirely different picture.

Unless a horse is racing for the triple crown the sport does not exist in the national conciousness.

If the sport wasn't dying, Churchill Downs wouldn't be increasing their hold. Their average handle is under $1.2 million a day and increasing the takeout only is going to quicken their death.

I'm not going to argue that it's not in decline, but you didn't say that. You said completely dead. And Churchill is a poor example to use, they are nothing but a slot parlor company these days. They only care about horse racing 2 days out of the year.

Reaction Score
On the soccer thread people keep saying baseball is dead. Only revenues are up to $9B and growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom