local perception, a long way to go | Page 2 | The Boneyard

local perception, a long way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Win and watch things happen...like the casual fan showing up. Im surprised we have the support we do after the disaster of PP. There was some really poor football played. Things are a changing for the good just wait and see.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but the divide is rather evident even here on the Boneyard. If this is where the diehard UCONN fans come to discuss UCONN, they're not discussing football as avidly as basketball. MBB has about 316,000 posts; WBB has about 264,000 posts; FB has about 197,000 posts. That's what I'm talking about. If UCONN can find a way to invigorate those fans who are so passionate about MBB and/or WBB into being passionate about football (shouldn't be hard, basketball is on offseason for most of the football season), then watch out.

Reaction Score
The guy who works at the Subway I go to every now and them also doesn't think much of UConn football.

Reaction Score
The guy who works at the Subway I go to every now and them also doesn't think much of UConn football.

Reaction Score
If you mean "everyone" literally you are right. However if you are suggesting that the states populations don't support their teams you not even close. Look at most of the Big 10 or SEC teams. Many are in rural areas with small populations and very few eyeballs. Areas much less populated than Hartford and with lower ranked TV Markets. Most pack stadiums twice the size of the Rent. Yes, they have larger student populations. But I can tell you having lived in 3 Big Ten states and 3 SEC States, they aren't all students.

Maybe it's because there is no other major sports teams to support or follow i.e
NEBRASKA
BAMA
IOWA
Ole Miss
Missi. State
South Carolina

Bosco, you need to call TDUCONN and everybody he refers to, then walk through Blue Parking on the 29th of august for an attitude adjustment.
I believe within 2 years UCONN Football will be hottest ticket in CT and pinkhat fans like TDUCONN's friends and maybe you need to get on board.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Not for nothing, but the divide is rather evident even here on the Boneyard. If this is where the diehard UCONN fans come to discuss UCONN, they're not discussing football as avidly as basketball. MBB has about 316,000 posts; WBB has about 264,000 posts; FB has about 197,000 posts. That's what I'm talking about. If UCONN can find a way to invigorate those fans who are so passionate about MBB and/or WBB into being passionate about football (shouldn't be hard, basketball is on offseason for most of the football season), then watch out.

And 10000 of those posts are about he World Cup. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read this thread and just smiled. Just wait and see what winning and a young charismatic coach will do for football interest in this state. Those of us who lived through the rise of basketball have a frame of reference. Connecticut Football will be huge in the state and in the region. We just need the true believers on this board to carry the load for a few more seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
rich1122 ... you are a pip (as my Dad's generation would say). And tdc ... nice focus group.

You both make me laugh. We know the ceiling already: WE DRAW 40,000 regularly when the team is good and the spirit/marketing is in sync. We aren't regressing ... we are growing. The University is stronger than it was 10 years ago; it will be far stronger in 10 years. You can Wes Bialasuknia up ... and get into this century; or we will meet you at the nearest NE Common and discuss the Memorial of Korean War dead with you.
25K ST or BUST. Empty seats make us humiliating. Day of reckoning is almost upon us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn football does have an issue with poor timing. It's much more difficult to build a common experience today than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago.

There are just so many more entertainment options today than there were when the Penn States, Michigans and Nebraskas built their empires.

Americans are very event driven. Horse racing? Dead - but the Derby is huge. College basketball? A blip on the screen except for a few weeks in March. 25 NBA franchises exist in complete anonymity outside of their local hardcore fanbase. Baseball is completely regionalized: even here where it's as big as anywhere if the Red Sox and Yankees aren't winning people move on. If you aren't in an NHL city with a good team that league may as well not exist.

It's a lot more complicated than this simple thought, but the Millenials and younger aren't as interested in things like spectator sports. They are interested in being spectated. UConn isn't the only place you see an aging demographic in the seats.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
25K ST or BUST. Empty seats make us humiliating. Day of reckoning is almost upon us.

If it makes you feel better I can promise you beyond any doubt there will be more than 25k in attendance for BYU. Can't promise you 35k, but 25k barring a hurricane during the game is a done deal.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
25 year wedding anniversary sounds like a major drag. Hooray you haven't killed each other yet.

You just might have been the only cool person there.

Watch it sonny, a bunch of us have been married much longer than 25 and know how to party, and go to a few dozen UConn fb games. Of course, that you're a Mets fan says all I need to know.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think the key to our fan base's growth is the students and women. I think if the students are brought into the mix at a deeper level they will tend to keep on following the team once they leave school. Of course they need to experience winning, so that cancels out the last 3 graduating classes.

Bringing the women in for FB 101 was/is important to get them more involved.

Diaco is already working on both areas, and whether he is here or not long term, these traditions need to continue.

6-6 this year, with a competitive team, will do wonders to build the foundation. (again)

Reaction Score
Yesterday I was at a 7 year old's birthday party and in talking to a lot of the parents, I got people lined up for most of my extra tickets and a group of four families (of which I am the only one to have season tickets) planned a tailgate and tickets were ordered. All depends who you are around.

Reaction Score
Filling a 60,000 stadium as well as the existing Rent will mean we've got interest in the program at a high level in fans that aren't UConn alumni and students. There are plenty of people out there that want to watch good football and attend an outdoor party. We get in a better conference with more prominent programs and we'll get football fans from western Mass and maybe RI to catch an occasional game. Right now I would wager BD has the interest of football fans in CT and people are going to start migrating back. BYU should bring a good number of their own fans so that game should be close to a sellout. I don't think we peaked under Edsall, we had hit a wall and needed to take it up another notch. We'll see where we stand at the end of this season, see if we can start to recapture some of that regional pride.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Those boards have in game threads that routinely go a few hundred posts. Football has 14 such events per year while bball has 40 of them.

Reaction Score
Bob Diaco may be knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and a great college coach.

Unfortunately, what I heard yesterday form long time Connecticut residents at a 25 wedding anniversary party was not encouraging. At one point discussion turned to all sports....pro, college, high school.

I through out the question "What do they think about UConn's new head football coach and the direction the program may take?

To a tee almost no one had an interest. No one has been to a game except a family friend from California (Fan of Stanford and SF Giants football teams) who was the only one willing to talk about it. No one from Connecticut even watches the games on TV. For the family from the Boston and New Jersey area..none of them care to watch UConn FB either.

Basically I was lead to believe I have been brainwashed about the future of the program. One said they have never recruited anybody of note and the majority of the years the best the so called "under the radar" recruits could do is preseason picks to finish in the middle of the pack of a weak FBS league formerly called the Big East, and a finish near the bottom of a weaker non P5 league called the AAC.

No one expressed an interest to go to games if I had spare tickets.

Forget about telling P5 conferences we carry new England and NYC markets. In football, it appears we have a long way to go just to carry the Connecticut TV market..and perhaps even the same could be said for NE.

WOW....just WOW. Bob D. has a much larger, difficult job than he thinks.

Unfortunately, what I heard yesterday form long time Connecticut residents at a 25 wedding anniversary party was not encouraging. At one point discussion turned to all sports....pro, college, high school.

I through out the question "What do they think about UConn's new head football coach and the direction the program may take?

To a tee almost no one had an interest. No one has been to a game except a family friend from California (Fan of Stanford and SF Giants football teams) who was the only one willing to talk about it. No one from Connecticut even watches the games on TV. For the family from the Boston and New Jersey area..none of them care to watch UConn FB either.

Basically I was lead to believe I have been brainwashed about the future of the program. One said they have never recruited anybody of note and the majority of the years the best the so called "under the radar" recruits could do is preseason picks to finish in the middle of the pack of a weak FBS league formerly called the Big East, and a finish near the bottom of a weaker non P5 league called the AAC.

Forget about telling P5 conferences we carry new England and NYC markets. In football, it appears we have a long way to go just to carry the Connecticut TV market..and perhaps even the same could be said for NE.

Wow...just WOW. You have been here since Sept 2011 and it took going to a wedding this year to realize BD has a big job in front of him? I don't mean this as slander but you diagnose yourself as being brainwashed by attending a wedding? Was this held at The UCONN Medical Center or some other medical facility where brain washing may take place. Some good Irish pubs come to mind.
Attended a picnic / party of over 200 yesterday, met two other season ticket holders, our chat was short and the only ones to discuss UCONN football. Never a second thought that everyone else at the party should be concerned about UCONN football.
Then again their minds, these loggers, construction workers, teachers, clerical staff, public service, machinists and a variety of trades were probably concentrating on Germany vs Argentina. Then again nobody mentioned it....Nor did they mention the Yankees or Red Sox...Not a wiff of todays NASCAR race!
SPORTS ARE DOOMED IN NEW ENGLAND !!!!
Monday headlines. tduconn proclaims weddings as UCONN football energy vampires!!!!!

Reaction Score

I work for a small company in RI near TFGreen airport, 6 people hold season tickets with different groups , 4 of which were discussing the upcoming season in the upstairs kitchenette last week during morning coffee break.

Reaction Score
If it makes you feel better I can promise you beyond any doubt there will be more than 25k in attendance for BYU. Can't promise you 35k, but 25k barring a hurricane during the game is a done deal.
We need 25K SEASON TICKET HOLDERS!!! If we do not gaet 25K for the BYU game - GAME OVER.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A 25 year wedding anniversary probably puts this crowd in a older demographic (i.e. - 50s). Is that true? My guess is that most of the people at this party grew up with MBB or WBB success and support those programs. The best way to integrate the older MBB/WBB crowds is to market that they are supporting the SCHOOL, not a specific program. Supporting football supports MBB and WBB. If our segmented/divided fanbase would ever unite in support of football, then UCONN has a very real chance of growing beyond everyone's expectations.

But yeah, I'm in my upper 30s and all of my friends talk UCONN football fairly frequently. We all grew up with the Whalers and MBB so buying football season tickets when the Rent opened was a natural progression. I guess this is what it means when people cite RU playing football for 100 years as a reason why they were selected before UCONN. It's just going to take some time and patience to grow the fanbase...unless UCONN (and our fanbase) can figure out how to unite UCONN fans to support the school and not specific programs.

Our group of 10's exact makeup.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Is there really a doubt that we will have 25k tickets sold for the BYU game? Come on. I thought we were talking season tickets. BYU and Boise St. will both be sellouts.

Reaction Score
Watch it sonny, a bunch of us have been married much longer than 25 and know how to party, and go to a few dozen UConn fb games. Of course, that you're a Mets fan says all I need to know.:rolleyes:

I didn't quite make my 25 year anniversary. And partying took a different path ... hmmm

As for the idea that Horse Racing is dead ... drive a few hours please. I guarantee you a great afternoon or extended weekend in Saratoga. Far more fun than the Derby ... IMHO. (as is Del Mar on a nice day) It is not the scuzzy beatdown demo that you may picture. That TOWN also has NYC quality dining and lots to do. So ... do yourself a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom