Lobster Roll in CT | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A couple buddies saw him at the bar at the Hyatt Regency in Greenwich ~1987-1988.

Among their comments:

No matter what you thought beforehand, you cannot comprehend how massive he is (was) until you see him.

He couldn't pick up a drink like a regular person, his hand was too big. He had to come in, palm facing down, parallel to the bar top, put his thumb and index finger on the glass and then roll his hand upward. He obviously had been doing that for so long by then it was second nature to him and he did it as quickly as someone would pick up a glass normally.

Reaction Score
Remember there used to be a legendary all-you-can-eat seafood buffet in Rhode Island named Custy's?

40+ years ago, it used to be a huge family event to go there once a year. As soon as we left, we'd start planning our eating strategy for the next year.
Used to be an annual ritual for us too!

Reaction Score

-> Two Connecticut restaurants' lobster rollsare on a list of the country's best, sharing space with entries from Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island — and well beyond New England. In a feature published on MSN, food website Gourmandize shared its picks for the nation's 30 top lobster-in-bun creations, with categories like "Best Classic", "Best Innovative" and "Best Modern."

Abbott's Lobster in the Rough in Noank was named "Best Connecticut-Style Hot Lobster Roll," with a blurb mentioning its three portion sizes of "buttery lobster bliss": "famous" (1/4 pound), "OMG" (1/2 pound) and "LOL" or "Lots of Lobster" (one full pound.)

Lobster Landing in Clinton made the list as "Best Seafood Shack Lobster Roll," with the writeup mentioning its "sizeable, hot, super buttery lobster roll with pleasant views of the harbor" and its weathered shack, which has retained its "old-school charm."

The list naturally includes several restaurants from the Northeast, but also some creative takes on lobster rolls around the country, like a Los Angeles lobster roll with green curry and Thai basil served on a charcoal bun. The feature also spotlights rolls from unlikely geographical points like Atlanta, Austin, Minneapolis, Chicago and Park City, Utah. <-

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Now this is how you do a lobster roll :D

Was watching Pirates game just now and they brought one to the booth for the announcers to dissect. Apparently it's got a lot of lobster meat.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

"I am a Connecticut purist, which is for me just lobster and butter. That's my personal preference," he said. "I think canned tuna fish deserves mayonnaise. I don't think $10.50 a pound — or whatever it is these days — fresh lobsters, that you have to work so hard to get the meat out, deserve that sort of treatment."

Great line.

I feel the same way with most sushi rolls too. If you are making a quality roll you don't need to top it off with a spicy mayo or any other type of sauce. Should be served as is with maybe something on the side.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It is a scientific fact that the lobster roll is the easiest meal on the planet to prepare. It is harder to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich than it is to make a world-class lobster roll. You have to actually try to make a bad lobster roll.

All credit to Red36 in Mystic.

Their lobster rolls are absolute crap. Someone should be shot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From the perspective of Florida Gulf Coast on western panhandle.

Screenshot_20230524-221600_Facebook.jpg

Reaction Score
Just had my first of the season at Sam the Clam's in Plainville. Hot, with fries.

They serve a 4 oz. and an 8 oz. roll. The MP on the 8 oz was $49.95. Does anyone ever ask what the MP is before ordering?

Reaction Score
Lobster Landing in Clinton is the best.

Their sausage and peppers is also excellent (sausage from Meadow Meat in Middletown).

It's also byob.
This is my go to as I’m never disappointed here. Johnny Ad as mentioned by others is good too. I’ve never been to Abbots but is highly by family and friends.

Reaction Score
I go to Lake Sebago ever August with my wife’s whole family. She had the great suggestion last year that we go pick up lobster rolls for everyone for lunch one day. 7 lobster rolls and a few pints of lobster Mac and Cheese was just shy of $200. Insanity
Maybe it's because you called it Lake Sebago instead of Sebago Lake? ;)
- Mainer

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BTW, on Bobby Flay's food show with his daughter he was at a West Coast seafood place talking lobster rolls. They made it point to call the warm lobster rolls "Connecticut-style". The chef said the CT rolls were much more popular.

Reaction Score
We spent last week on Martha's Vineyard. We spend a week there almost every year and I never realized that cold rolls are the default in many restaurants. In several places, if it wasn't specified on the menu, it was cold.

MP was anywhere from $29 to $34 which surprised me. I expected it to be in high $30s. One thing I saw this year that I hadn't seen before is a $2-$3 upcharge for a hot roll.

Reaction Score
We spent last week on Martha's Vineyard. We spend a week there almost every year and I never realized that cold rolls are the default in many restaurants. In several places, if it wasn't specified on the menu, it was cold.

MP was anywhere from $29 to $34 which surprised me. I expected it to be in high $30s. One thing I saw this year that I hadn't seen before is a $2-$3 upcharge for a hot roll.
Did you get a lobster roll in Menemsha? The fish market was a good place to go and I believe cheaper than the prices that you quoted but that was a few years ago.

Reaction Score
BTW, on Bobby Flay's food show with his daughter he was at a West Coast seafood place talking lobster rolls. They made it point to call the warm lobster rolls "Connecticut-style". The chef said the CT rolls were much more popular.
The warm rolls are referred to as CT style on the Space Coast FL as well. I go to Jazzy's in Cocoa Beach when I need a lobster roll. I can also get a decent lobster roll from the Cousins Maine lobster truck but their prices are even higher.

Reaction Score
Jon Favreau's The Chef Show on Netflix also.

Reaction Score
Did you get a lobster roll in Menemsha? The fish market was a good place to go and I believe cheaper than the prices that you quoted but that was a few years ago.
Not this time, but we have before. We've also got steamed lobsters from there and ate them on the picnic table right outside. Great spot!

Reaction Score
Not this time, but we have before. We've also got steamed lobsters from there and ate them on the picnic table right outside. Great spot!
I’ve had some of the freshest lobster from that market eating them on a spool table. Good food and sunsets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom